Isobel Fletcher (PL-7) - Estro

Estro

Isobel Fletcher
Power Level: 
7 (105/105PP) 
Unspent Power Points: 
Trade-Offs: None

In Brief: Telekinetic knifehands trying to control herself. 

Alternate Identity: None, at present. 
Birthplace:  Denver.

Residence: Claremont Academy boarding
Affiliations: 
Family: Mother - Rebecca Fletcher; Father - Arthur Meville (Estranged), Half-Sister - Claire Meville 

Description:
Ethnicity: Mixed.
Height:  Five ten, or 178cm
Weight:  148 lb, or 67 kg
Eyes:  Blue
Hair:  Natively black, dyed lavender with a fade towards the tips

Isobel typically dresses in darker clothes, with a tendancy towards longer sleeves to hide the scars from her first few uncontrolled attempts at using her powers. Her height generally means she has fewer selections than she'd like, and several of her more comfortable clothes are mens clothes. She rather hopes that she'll stop growing sometime soon. She doesn't have a costume, but her few vague ideas for it 

Spoiler

spacer.png

History:
Isobel was born in Denver to a then happy couple in the early 2000s, where her Father worked as a paralegal, and her mother made money using her own small talent with telekinesis to craft intricate microscopic structures. After an... acromonius divorce when Isobel was eight, her and her mother moved to Freedom city,  the home of superheroism in America. Her mother kept up her free-lance crafting duties (her power lacking the ability to affect anything much larger than a grain of sand), while Isobel settled into a life different from the once she once knew. One where superheroism was a norm, and terrifying yet marvelous things could afflict the city at once. She made new friends, went to a new school, and settled into life, as much as you can in a city such as Freedom.

Perhaps it was the exposure then, to all that power, the experiance of living in a city larger than life that lead to her own powers becoming larger than life when they blossomed half a year ago. Where her mother could carve all of war and piece onto a pin head, Isobel could carve through steel. And not much else, when it first formed, her room swiftly becoming a mess, with rents in the walls and gouges in the ceiling, to speak nothing of the state of the bed. And the more her powers acted out, the more she became fustrated, and the more the powers acted out in turn.The tipping point was about a week after manifestation, when Isobel became so agitated that her telekinetic hands attempted to grab her own arms. The aftermath of that incident led to a short stint in a hospital, a personal aquiantace with several heroes, and several scars twisting around her elbows. 

The six months since then have been one of herculean effort. She has brought her powers under her control, enough that Isobel can now attend the famous - or is it infamous - Claremont Academy, the school for gifted youngsters. She won't let her powers defeat her.  She'll make something of her self, just you see. 

Personality & Motivation:

Isobel was in attitude, once, a fairly typical expression of a teenage girl. Removed from parental attention, slightly rebellious towards authority, and fond of far too loud music. And, for the most part, that still remains, but it's been clouded by the recent months, the months where an emotional outburst could destroy a bed, or a jacket, or a prized possession. She was serious before, but it was the mock seriousness of a teenager who believes she knows everything. Parts of that still remain, but it's been tempered by nothing less unrelenting than reality.

And, with this power, Isobel has nothing more than a desire to master it. To form it to her will, to make it a force for good in the world, rather than what it once was. 

It would help, then, if she could master the fact she's terrified of it.

Powers & Tactics:

Isobel's powers are telekinesis, the ability to manipulate the world around her with nothing more than her mind. While she has yet to fight, her tactics for regaining control of her powers involve focusing on holding an object as still as possible in mid air, and this will likely transfer to her tactics and involve telekinetic grappling. Otherwise, of course, 

Power Descriptions:
Isobel controls a multitude of invisible hands, which she can see as a faint warp in the air, a twisting of space in her vision. These hands are far stronger than she is, and each finger is tipped with an impossibly sharp claw. At times, when she's very agitated or under a lot of strain, others can see them as a faint blue haze. For now, she's just about managed to master a passive version where the faint sense of touch she gets from them allows her to see an area around her.

Complications:
Forcibly controlled: Isobel's psychic powers aren't conciously controlled so much as conciously applied. In times of stress, emotion, or even tiredness this control can slip, allowing her powers to run amok once more, or perhaps even more disconcertinly desert her entirely as she instead involuntarily clamps down on any useage of it.

Abilities: -1 + 4 + 6 + 2 + 6 + 3 = 20PP
Strength: 9 (-1)
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 16 (+3)
Intelligence: 12 (+1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 13 (+1)

Combat: 4  + 8 = 12PP
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
Attack: +2 Melee, +2 Ranged (+2 Base)
Defense: +4 (+4 Base, +0 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Grapple: +1 (+2 attack, -1 Str)/ +10 (telekinesis)
Knockback: -1

Saving Throws: 3 + 3  + 6 = 12PP
Toughness: +3 (+3 Con)
Fortitude: +7 (+3 Con, +3)
Reflex: +5 (+2 Dex, +3)
Will: +10 (+3 Wis, +6)

Skills: 32R = 8PP 

Acrobatics 4 (+5)

Bluff 4 (+5)

Computers 3 (+4)

Concentration 10 (+13) Second Chance

Diplomacy 3 (+4)

Notice 3 (+5)

Sense Motive 3 (+5)

Swim 2 (+1)

Feats: 3PP
Luck 

Second Chance (Concentration checks)

Ultimate Save (Will) 

Equipment: 0PP = 0EP 

Powers: 20 + 7 + 23 = 50PP

Descriptors: all mutant

Deflect 5 [Fast] (Extras: Automatic, Action 2 [Free]; Flaws: ; Feats: ; Drawbacks: ) [20PP]

Super-Senses 7 (Touchsight; Tactile Accurate, Acute , Extended, Radius, Rapid, Ranged)

Telekinesis 11 (22 PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 1) [23PP]

Base Power: Move Object 6 (Telekinesis, Extras: Ranged [Perception]; Flaws: ; Feats: Indirect, Precise, Subtle 2; Drawbacks: ) {22/22} (Descriptors: Force)

Alternate Power: Damage 7 (Telerend, Extras: Penetrating, Ranged 2 [Perception]; Flaws: Unreliable; Feats: Indirect, Subtle, Drawbacks: Full Power) {22/22} (Descriptors: Slashing)

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE      SAVE                           EFFECT
Tele-rend             Perception      DC 17 Toughness                Damage

Totals: Abilities (20) + Combat (12) + Saving Throws (12) + Skills (8) + Feats (3) + Powers (50) - Drawbacks (0) =105/105 Power Points

So, this is my first attempt at a Mutants and Masterminds character in general. Given the site guidelines and house rules, I think everything is inline. 

Particular things that I'm worried about:

The backstory and the self harming nature of her powers I think say within limits, but I'm unsure. Likewise, I think this setting has room for such minor powers as the one her mother possesses, but I'm not entirely sure

The relatively low toughness she has. Deflect is meant to make up the majority of her defence, but I'm worried she'll be taken out of fights relatively quickly.

I like the concept, so aside from a few things, I'll focus on the actual build:

The power descriptions could probably be a bit expanded. Its not just what she do, but also how she does, like the mutation that it seems to be.

I'd recommend trying to get some more Complications. They will usually be your main source of getting more Hero Points in a thread, plus they can lead to some interesting conflicts. You got one for her powers, maybe some for her psychological state. She scared of her powers? Make a complication of that, where it might cause her to hesitate when the GM triggers that, or she's not really out to be a hero like a lot of her fellow students, there's a complication there, when they try to drag her along on heroics and she resists. 

So, going into the build, first of all: Its pretty great for a first try. Aside from not meeting the Defensive PL caps (which you absolutely want to do), its mostly a question of optimization. I'll start from the top.

Abilities:

There's not much of a point in taking ability scores at uneven numbers, so I'd recommend bumping the Strength down to 8 (giving you another PP to spend) and either making your Charisma 12 or 14, up to you.

Combat & Saves:

Gonna do these together.

You don't really have any attacks that use Attack, but I like that you've bought the +2 Base Attack Bonus anyway.

Most of your saves are good, but as I mentioned, you will want to get your Defense/Toughness up to the PL7 cap, so that they average at 7. Given Isobel's powers, I'll give some suggestions on how to do that once I get to powers.

Skills:

Your total Acrobatics should be +6, otherwise it looks good. I personally wouldn't bother with the ranks in Swim, and instead use those 2 ranks to bump up Computers and Diplomacy, so you can get a total +5 bonus to them. Generally speaking, most skill checks that's not opposed checks come in increments of 5, so incrementing your roll by 5 helps with that. Alternatively, the Notice and Sense Motive skills are almost secondary saves, so consider increasing them either now or later.

Feats:

All good. If you can find the points, another rank of Luck can got a long way. Hero Points are great to have.

Powers:

Deflect is really not that good, so your worries are somewhat justified. I would suggest getting rid of that power and instead spending those points on getting your Defense and Toughness Save up to an average of 7. Consider buying 4 ranks of the Force Field power (or, if you have Ultimate Power, Protection with the Force Field extra, its the same thing) to get you up to Toughness +7. Then, buy 3 ranks of the Shield power (essentially the feat Dodge Focus but as an Enhanced Trait), bringing you up to Defense +7. It could be your powers protecting you with a telekinetic force field that either helps block damage (Protection/Force Field) or keep it away entirely (Shield). That's 7PP for those two powers to get you up to caps, and that's 13 more PP for you to play with. Alternatively, you could do a trade off to get higher or lower Toughness or Defense, which should still cost 7PP.

For the damage effect, I'm not sure whether the GMs will approve of the use of the Full Power flaw or not. In case they don't, consider the the Action flaw, to make it take a full round. Not like you need to move for a Perception range attack. The Attack's save would also be DC22, since for Toughness Saves its 15 + rank, unlike exotic saves, which are 10 + rank.

Power Descriptions:
Isobel controls a multitude of invisible hands, which she can see as a faint warp in the air, a twisting of space in her vision. These hands are far stronger than she is, and each finger is tipped with an impossibly sharp claw. At times, when she's very agitated or under a lot of strain, others can see them as a faint blue haze. For now, she's just about managed to master a passive version where the faint sense of touch she gets from them allows her to see an area around her. They also act to drain energy from incoming attacks, as well as protect her if she falls.

Her powers, although she doesn't like to admit it given the predudice, are caused due to her being a Terminus child. Or, rather, the grand-daughter of one. Her mother's grandmother lived in freedom city, and had the misfortune to be pregnant when the invasion came. Her grandmother was born with a "third hand", a mental construct that could lift and manipulate anything like another hand could. It was no stronger than her arms, and could reach no further than them. Isobel's mother, Rebecca, was even more limited, barely even able to move a pin, but she gained in precision what she lacked in power. Being born in Denver, her mother and Isobel in turn can rebute most of the ideals. But, well, Isobel was the right age, and in the right place that when the invasion came again, and her body absorbed the Terminus energies. 

Complications:
Forcibly controlled: Isobel's psychic powers aren't conciously controlled so much as conciously applied. In times of stress, emotion, or even tiredness this control can slip, allowing her powers to run amok once more, or perhaps even more disconcertinly desert her entirely as she instead involuntarily clamps down on any useage of it.

Fear of the Self: Isobel is, and she knows it even if she refuses to acknowledge it, scared of her powers. At times, she's suddenly struck by the power they have, and her mind goes back to those terrible few weeks and her elbows start to ache. At times like those, although she can still use her powers, getting her to do so is like pulling teeth.

Abilities: 0 + 4 + 6 + 2 + 6 + 4 = 22PP
Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 16 (+3)
Intelligence: 12 (+1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3)
Charisma: 14 (+2)

Combat: 4  + 8 = 12PP
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
Attack: +2 Melee, +2 Ranged (+2 Base)
Defense: +4/+7 (+4 Base, +3 Enhanced Defence), +2/+3 Flat-Footed

Grapple: +1 (+2 attack, 0 Str)/ +12 (telekinesis)
Knockback: -1/-3

Saving Throws: 3 + 3  + 6 = 12PP
Toughness: +3/+7 (+3 Con, +4 Protection)
Fortitude: +6 (+3 Con, +3)
Reflex: +5 (+2 Dex, +3)
Will: +10 (+3 Wis, +6)

Skills: 36R = 9PP 

Acrobatics 4 (+6)

Bluff 4 (+6)

Computers 4 (+5)

Concentration 10 (+13) Second Chance

Diplomacy 3 (+5)

Notice 8 (+10)

Sense Motive 3 (+5)

Feats: 3PP
Luck 

Second Chance (Concentration checks)

Ultimate Save (Will) 

Equipment: 0PP = 0EP 

Powers: 6 + 6 + 5 + 7 + 23 = 47PP

Descriptors: all mutant

Enhanced Defence 3(Repulsion field; Extras: ; Flaws: ; Feats: ; Drawbacks: ) [6PP]

Immunity 5 (Falling) [5PP]

Protection 4 (Kinetic Sump; Extras: Force Field [+0]; Flaws: ; Feats: Subtle 2; Drawbacks: ) [6PP]

Super-Senses 7 (Touchsight; Mental Accurate, Acute , Extended, Radius, Rapid, Ranged) [7PP]

Telekinesis 11 (22 PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 1) [23PP]

Base Power: Move Object 6 (Telekinesis, Extras: Ranged [Perception]; Flaws: ; Feats: Indirect, Precise, Subtle 2; Drawbacks: ) {22/22} (Descriptors: Force)

Alternate Power: Damage 7 (Telerend, Extras: Penetrating, Ranged 2 [Perception]; Flaws: Unreliable; Feats: Indirect, Subtle, Drawbacks: Full Power) {22/22} (Descriptors: Slashing)

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE      SAVE                           EFFECT
Tele-rend             Perception      DC 22 Toughness                Damage

Totals: Abilities (22) + Combat (12) + Saving Throws (12) + Skills (9) + Feats (3) + Powers (47) - Drawbacks (0) =105/105 Power Points

Right, I've added to Power description, made another (sorta weaker) complication, and rejiggered the allocation of everything. 

Edited by Estro