New to Freedom (IC, Open)

Kaede Kimura

Synapse

Dee had given Janus Danger a small nod in return as she remained off to the side as yet another Claremont student arrived. This one the Englishwoman recognized from her most recent vist to Freedom City, after Vanguard's mission with True North. A half smile came to her face as she watched Muirne's interaction with Pan, a good sign that a bit of teenage normalcy would be good for Murine.

If Dee was bothered when Janus started offering advice on how to sneak off campus, the older woman did not show it. Indeed, once Janus had finished Dee spoke up. "I hope you are paying attention Muirne. Janus may be sharing some of the most important information you might learn on this tour."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Kam and Janus' explanations, Muirne couldn't help but feel the twinge of disappointment. She'd heard Pan speak in her native tongue and talk about being a 'Forever Boy', and she'd gotten her hopes up, thinking that he was from her time. "Oh, I wasn't aware that there were people in other dimensions. The one I'm linked to doesn't have any." She looked at Janus "What's Fortuna like? My only experience with other dimensions is... Less than hospitable."

Muirne followed along with Kam's explanation of the Library and , scrawling the information down on her notepad. When Janus started to talk about sneaking out she looked back at Dee for clarification as to whether it was okay to listen to this. When she didn't show disapproval the teen assumed it was okay, and tuned in more seriously, forgoing writing down the instructions to ensure there was no evidence that could get either Janus or Kam in trouble. She had to remind herself that this is a very different time after Janus called the gendered rooms outdated. She felt a blush creep over her face as they began talking about 'hook ups'. She just nodded jerkily as they finished, writing down what they said about dietary needs and mentors.

She turned as Dee started talking, and her blush kicked up a notch as she finished. "I- I'll keep that in mind Síþwíf Dee." 

At that moment, a large grizzly bear emerged from behind a tree, walking on two legs like it owned the place. "Roar!" it declared what was clearly faintly accented English, waving its arms and looking mildly annoyed - then vanished abruptly in a faint shimmer of light. Revealed inside was a girl of average height and build, wearing an oversized black T-shirt emblazoned with a roaring wolf wearing a monk's robe, glaring down at a group of monks battling a demon before a burning Gothic cathedral. The shirt's letters declared the word POWERWOLF in a large font. Eira had bright blue hair and a silver ring in her nose today, matching the pentagram earrings she wore. 

"Wretched thing," she cursed, tapping at the back of her hand. Seeming to catch sight of the group for the first time, she gave Pan a look that seemed to beg commiseration. "This stupid thing! I will just use a recorded call next time...oh, hello Synapse," she said, shooting a smile at Dee and using supernames around unfamiliar faces. After a moment she focused in on Miurne and seemed to be staring right through her, pale blue eyes unfocusing. "I...don't know you," she said, her English definitely distinctly accented. "You are a new student. I am Eira Katastroff Natt Och Dag." 

Muirne stared as the bear turned into a girl, and then stared more as she got a feeling like she was looking at a younger version of Dee. And then she referred to Dee as Synapse. This bear girl knew Dee's secret identity. She tensed as the stranger turned and stared at her, feeling her link to the Schattenwelt swell as her body started to try transforming. She stamped down on that hard, looking up to meet the girls eyes. "I don't know why you would know me, I haven't done anything." she shook her head as the girl asserted that she was a new student. "I am going to be coming here next year. I am Muirne Sceadusangere."

Octoman

The doors to the Matthias Cooke wing burst open, and rap music started loudly playing.

"ONE SHOT
EVERYTHING RIDES ON
TONIGHT

EVEN IF I GOT
THREE STRIKES
I'MMA GO FOR IT

THIS MOMENT

WE OWN IT"

A few moments later, the source of the music was revealed, a brown-skinned boy of amiguous ethnicity with a mid-sized curly Afro hairstyle. He was one of the few Claremont students who could push a door open well ahead of his arrival to it, thanks to the almost dozen stretchy tentacles sprouting out of his body, most of which currently each held a small portable speaker, only a few inches long but surprisingly powerful, especially when one used half a dozen of them at once. The boy half-walked, half-danced down the sidewalk and across the grass of the quad in time with the music. He couldn't hear the music anymore except in his head, but the phone in his pocket and the smartwatch on his wrist vibrated loudly in time with the beat. He wore what had become his signature yellow and black hooded jacket over a white t-shirt dominated by the black silhouette of a gecko and a simple pair of baggy blue jeans. New students who hadn't been alerted to his shapeshifting powers wondered if he had any other clothes in his closet, but by now most knew better. The shirt and jacket both appeared to have holes cut in them to accommodate his many tentacles, one of many details he'd gradually added to this "default" shape for the sake of verisimilitude, though the way the holes moved to accommodate every movement of the tentacles was still too perfect for normal fabric. He wore a pair of sunglasses, but when he saw the red-haired girl, he lifted them up onto his forehead, and they melted into his skin and vanished. "Hello hello!" While the boy pointed twin finger-guns at Muirne, the several tentacles that weren't holding speakers all moved in unison to poke the "PAUSE" buttons, cutting off the music with an amazing display of coordination enabled by all the extra brain tissue running through the boy's body. He diverted his path slightly to intercept the group assembled around Muirne, bumping fists with Eira once he got within arms reach. Close observers could see that he rarely looked anyone in the eye, instead focusing on their mouths. "Sick shirt. Who's the fresh fish?"

Synapse

Dee saw Muirne tense slightly at the appearance of the bear which turned out to be another of the Claremont students she had meet just last month. Slightly concerned about the teen, Dee gently reached into the girl's mind. Easy Muirne, stay calm. The Englishwoman stated mentally, a connection that Muirne had experienced before since her first encounter with Dee, in particular during her outing with Vanguard, as Dee kept the members in mental communication during the mission.

"It is just Dee Farrington today." The Englishwoman offered Eira with a small smile of her own.

That was when yet another student arrived, making the third Dee had met during the party at the De Temps building. With yet another startling student appearing, Dee kept the mental connection open with Muirne for the moment.

Eira looked the girl up and down, a thin smile playing on her black-painted lips. "Everyone has done something," she said, confidence cool in her voice. She returned Ben's fistbump with the nod of a lady greeting a peer, then returned her gaze to Miurne. Her eyes focused on her as she quoted in a low, throaty whisper, "...the shadow-cloaked shape comes gliding, black under the clouds....hello. Do you shake hands?" Eira's grip was firm, a little bony, and distinctly cooler than human flesh typically was in Miurne's experience. "Welcome. We do not bite. Not even him," she added, jerking a thumb at Ben. 

Muirne relaxed slightly at Dee's mental message I'm trying, it was just a bit of a shock. She jumped as the doors slammed open, and the music blasted into the quad. She watched as the boy approached and waved slightly as he finger gunned, "Hello." She smiled in greeting. "I'm Muirne, what's your name?" At Eira's quotation she cocked her head. Síþwíf Dee, that was a quote. What was she quoting? "I shake hands. Thank you all for welcoming me, everyone has been so nice here. Was- was that a quote from something?"

She could feel her power swirling in the link, she pushed it back again.

Edited by Kaede Kimura

Pan shrugged, smiling faintly at Kam's explanation. "Neverworld, we call it. As for how I do what I do and speak what you speak, I am sure that Lady Farrington would know the story. I hear it is quite popular where you are from. Second star to the right and all that." He smiled brightly, turned to Synapse and was about to say something, then paused when first the bear and then Ben appeared. He seemed more amused than anything at Eira and Ben's antics, his eyes lingering on both for a moment.

He turned his attention to Synapse, making a quick bow to greet her. "Lady Farrington, it is good to see you again. Here to make sure we all behave while Muirne is shown the sights?"

White Lioness

Àjàṣorò stood back a little whilst the tour carried on, at first she didn’t want to overshadow her brother whilst he did his task (very well), and second she had a... complicated relationship with Eira (and sort of Pan, but no one could hate him for very long) and she didn’t want to cause a scene around the new student. And with her cat like skills she could very easily keep out of sight.

So how do you think things are going right now brother?” she spoke just behind his ear “At least the new kid is meeting the wide range of students here.”

Synapse

I believe it is Beowulf. Dee mentally responded to Muirne's question about what Eira was quoting.

When Pan mentioned her likely knowing the story of Peter Pan, Dee gave a small smirk. "Yes, a rather well known story. And please, just Dee is fine." She replied. "It is nice to see you again as well Pan. As for why I am here, I would not presume to try to make anyone act any differently than they might otherwise." She began. "Just here to get a sense of the school. Some of the other members of Vanguard are wanting to be sure about where we are going to be sending Muirne. I am sure you remember Dreadnaught and Zhenschina-voin."

Frowning slightly at Janus description of the best ways to sneak out he shot the Danger a warning glare.  Likely more bothered by not even remotely having the moral high ground on this issue that the fellow students revelations.  Wisely choosing to let it slide when the adult accompanying Muirne seemed unbothered he was preparing to lead them on into the library, show off the important aspects like the private study rooms that tended to see the least interruption and had the best wifi connectivity and introduce Muirne to the helpful staff.  That apparently was not to be.

Kam tensed slightly when Eira appeared.  The Bear hadn't stirred the young man, there were a handful of students that might have taken on such an appearance, most quite pleasant.  But when the holo-projection dropped to reveal the rebellious robot there was a subtle tightening of his posture that was not improved by arrival moments later of Bens boisterous entrance.  He let out a short breath and glared at the taunts of his twin, "Quite well."  he replied tightly leaving the 'no thanks to you' silent before falling back on familiar semi formality.  "Muirne, Ben Wang."  He introduced as the boy came to pause at their little gathering.  "Ben, Muirine will be starting here in the fall just giving the tour."  he explained evenly catching some of the young women's reasonable distress at the suddenly rather more overwhelming group paused to let her get her bearings.  

"Ben aside from his visible talents,"  The young Dakanan offered with a gesture to the many limbs, "Is probably one of the most skilled students at the computer and an endless font of knowledge on modern american culture."  the emphasis on endless was hard to suppress once he got started the boy did not stop.

"It won't be this overwhelming on your first day," Janus offered with a small smile to the younger teenager. "You might think with the wonders of Claremont, we'd never get bored but that's not the case. The student body is small so a new face on campus mid-year, even for a tour, draws everyone over eventually. When you get here with the rest of your calls come the fall,  there will be a half dozen other new faces so you won't find yourself quite so swamped. It's made worse by the fact that it's the more extroverted that show up first; myself included. There are actually quiet students on campus too."

Janus caught the frown that Kam sent their way and countered it with a stunning smile. Clapping Kam lightly on the shoulder, Janus said nothing of the Dakanan's extra curricular activities but the twinkle in their eyes was pure deviltry. Janus turned that smile on Eira and Ben then, their lips quirking with amusement, "Indeed, biting is only allowed when there's enthusiastic consent. Or it's a no hold's barred fight in the Doom Room, I suppose but they generally frown on those."

Benny wasn't a show off, really.  Honest.  Pinky swear.

Just he had to practice, and he needed more space than the interior training would allow.  Like today.  Given the Quad was generally closed off from public viewing he got to do it here, and he was going to cut loose on that.  It was a simple drill, throw the football as hard as he could, and then chase it down.  On foot, and by leaping pounds.  Some of the other kids referred to him as 'The Fridge,' as the big blocky kid kinda resembled that.  And then he moved, and he was a whole different beast in motion.

The tour was in time for him to fire the ball into the air, and then give chase, going from a stand still to a full sprint with acceleration that would shame a Studebaker, before doing a small hop, tuck and hit the ground and living up to his heroic name quickly as he rebounded off the ground, aiming himself to sail forward and catch it just after the apex of it's arc.

Then he sailed back back down, landing into a deep crouch, and he turned to survey his next effort, flipping the the ball up, and catching it on a finger in a spin.  When he turned, he caught sight of the tour group.  "Oh, how youse guys doin'?" That thick accent rumbling out as his face split into a bit grin.

Eira gave Kam a smile that could have curdled milk. "If I had a heart, it would be breaking. But Kam is right, Ben is very good with computers," she added with an agreeable gesture Ben's way. "Beowulf is a classic Anglo-Saxon epic poem," she explained to Miurne. "One of the stories it mentions is the people born in shadow, who carry it with them all their lives. When I heard your name, it seemed a natural connection." She peered into Miurne's eyes for a moment, then shrugged. "I am Swedish myself. Do not feel like an outsider. America can be a strange place even when you leave out the superheroes." With that she walked over to Pan, shooting a look Rebound's way as he arrived without saying anything. When she was close, she raised her eyebrows at Forever Boy - an unspoken question. 

Octoman

Ben gave an exaggerated shrug and cocked-head grin in response to the descriptions of his talents. "Hey, what can I say? I won't lie, I'm the best there is at what I do. And, like, information wants to be free, y'know?"

"I am sure that Lady Farrington would know the story. I hear it is quite popular where you are from. Second star to the right and all that."

"Yeah, he's, like, ACTUALLY Peter Pan. You know, Peter Pan? C'mon, EVERYONE knows Peter Pan."

"Indeed, biting is only allowed when there's enthusiastic consent."

Ben gave a wink, grin, and twin finger-guns to Janus. "NICE."

"I am Swedish myself. Do not feel like an outsider. America can be a strange place even when you leave out the superheroes."

"Hell to the yeah. Me, I'm BROOKLYN, born and bred, but my family's from all OVER the place. Lessee..." He started counting on his fingers. "Mamá's black AND Latina, her family came up from Puerto Rico. Tatay's dad is Jewish, like, the German kind, one guess how HIS family got here, and his mom, mi abuela, she's from the Philippines. So, like, I don't fit in ANYWHERE. I mean, except Brooklyn. I'm kinda the poster-boy there."

"Ben, Muirine will be starting here in the fall just giving the tour."

"Awesome. So Muirne, like, what's your deal? Basic super-strength/bulletproof-skin package? Can you fly? OOH, can you kill me with your MIND?"

Muirne looked sheepish, moreso as Dee confirmed knowing the story. When Ben began his outburst she blushed slightly. "Uh, I- I don't know the story sorry, but it's really nice that someone wrote a story about you." She gave Pan a smile of apology. She stopped talking as they entered the library, noting down what Kam was relaying as quickly as she could, including the note about going to Ben for computer and cultural help. She smiled at him, "If that's true then you'll probably be seeing a lot of me, I'm really terrible with phones and computers, and getting advice on culture will probably also come up a lot."

Muirne paused to listen as Janus started talking about how it would be calmer on her first day and was quietly grateful for that, since while the people she was meeting were nice, it was also a lot to take in very quickly. "For now I'll have to take your word on that Janus." She said good-naturedly, and then Janus made the comment about enthusiastic consent to biting and her face turned bright red, her blush deepening at Ben's approval. "I uhm... I'll keep that in mind..." She was glad for the distraction when the large boy literally bounced over. She gave him a smile "I'm Muirne, Kam is giving me a tour of the campus to prepare for starting in autumn. It's nice to meet you."

Muirne gave Eira a slightly strained smile as she talked about Beowulf, "I didn't know about that. I'll have to read it at some point." she kept an eye on the strange girl as she walked back to stand with Pan, listening as Ben explained where he was from. "I'm from Kent, although I'm pretty sure I have a bit of Irish from my father's side, hence the hair and the name." then the boy asked about her powers.

"Oh well its... I have a connection to another dimension, Síþwíf Dee called it the 'Schattenwelt'. I can draw power from it, turning myself into a monster, or I can travel there physically. It also lets me see in the dark." 

"Ah, yes, the large man and the tall woman, yes?" His smile was genuine, even if his recollection of the two was a bit lacking. "Give them my best, yes?" He made a quick turn back to Muirne.

"Well, it is something, at least," Pan offered Muirne with a shrug. "This entire world can be a strange place," he agreed with Eira. "But now, I am afraid I have others business to attend! Enjoy your tour!"

He made a quick bow first to Muirne, then to Synapse. "Enjoy your stay, Lady Farrington." He looked up from his bow, a quick grin playing over his lips as he looked her in the eyes. Then a quick turn to Eira, a quick "see you later" as he dashed by, leaving a trail of golden dust as he quickly rounded a corner, leaving the rest to enter the library.

Edited by RocketLord

Kam eyed Janas as they spoke as one might a venomous snake uncertain precisely where she was going with this little explanation but relaxed as they mostly behaved themselves.  With a polite smile he turned on Eira and shrugged, "I did say one of."  he pointed out with a small smile teasing the edge of his lips, "But if you'd like me to send more students with computer troubles your way I'd be happy too."  he offered with feigned innocence.  

He did however nod agreement with her assessment of America being at time overwhelming to those not raised to its eccentricities.  "It is not so universal outside the axis Great Britain and the US."  he pointed out about the Pan story with a small shrug, "And besides Pan is far more pleasant than the boy of that particular tale."  Kam offered Pan a nod of farewell as he took his leave and offered a wave to BEnny as he bounced into the area.  "Morning Benny."  Kam greeted with a small wave, "This is Muirne, she'll be starting in the fall."  he repeated  and turned back to Muirne, "Benny D'Amatto."  He introduced, "A recent arrival in this era and a stand up guy."  the dakanan explain with a suspicion such information might be of use to Muirne.

Entering the Library he gave the rundown on the areas and where to find aid with locating resources as well but did not go as in depth as he might have given less of an audience.

"You are a real hero," said Eira dryly Kam's way. "Don't let them frighten you," she told Miurne. Her eyes unfocused for a long, perceptible moment, then she smirked before whispering, "I did not like it when I first came here - but there are worse places than this." She blinked, looked at Miurne and added with a distinct smirk, "Remember - Crīst ƿæs on rōde, no?" And with that, she turned and headed out of the library herself.  

A low buzzing sound could be heard if listening closely withing the confines of the library.  A teenage African American boy with dramatic dreads and faded sides sat with his eyes glued to a  cell phone.  His pierced ears almost appeared as if they were glowing as the an effulgent light reflected off his phone in bursts.  The source of which was small arcs of electricity surging forth from his fingertips onto his phone. 

Beside the boy on the library table sat a tan colored Stetson.  Four books, three of them closed were laid next to it.  Not that the boy's eye line ever traveled to the literature.  Instead staying fully focused on his phone.  Glancing up to the crowd of students making their way in, his lips pursed into a slight smirk.  Giving a quick welcoming wave shortly thereafter before returning his attention to his cellular device.

Muirne gave Eira a weak smile as she gave what might pass for a pep talk, although it weakened further at the comment. She wasn't sure of her faith anymore, and had been meaning to talk to a priest about it. She did wave as Eira and Pan left, and called out after them "It was nice meeting you both, hopefully we can talk again sometime!" She turned to face Kam as he started talking again, before looking askance at him commenting that the story was well known in Great Britain, although her lips quirked up at the comment about Pan being more pleasant than the boy in the story. "I suppose if I read it I'll have to watch out for that. Is the story good at least?"

She gave Benny a smile as Kam introduced him. "It's nice to m-" she cut off as he made his comment about him being new to the era, her blood roared in her ears and she froze, "N- new to this era? What, uh when are you from?" She struggled to keep her breathing steady, trying not to show the mixture of terror and excitement she felt. She wouldn't jump to conclusions the way she had with Pan, it wasn't likely they'd be from the same time, she couldn't get excited whenever someone might possibly be like her, it wasn't healthy.

At the same time as she told herself this, she was also getting very excited that he might be from her time.

Benny moved in closer to them, with a big grin on his face.  Looking like a linebacker, or rugby player, or just big fella.  Even if he wasn't the tallest, but he certainly had imposing shoulders.  Which moved when he shrugged.  His reaction to such was more understated than Muirne's, a wavering of that grin, his eyes lingering on Kam for a moment before he looked at the girl who gave up a foot of height on him.  

"I don't tall 'bout that much," came the simple response in that thick, thick accent. "Ain't much 'bout airin' my dirty laundry out for the neighborhood." Stopping the ball, he drove it between his hands with a thud, and held it. To his partial credit Benny didn't pursue the lead that Muirne, as a horrible poker player, dropped right in his proverbial lap. "I'm from Freedom City, s'good enough."

Muirne schooled her expression quickly, not showing her disappointment at Benny's refusal. "Of course, I'm sorry it wasn't my place to ask." Internally she's berating herself, she wasn't even willing to tell people she was from a different time, and here she was asking other people to divulge further information! Still a corner of her mind couldn't help but dissect the information given- If he had been honest about being from Freedom he couldn't be older than 400, less than a third of her own age. He was like her, but not from her time. Some small part of her took comfort in the fact that others shared her experiences in being lost in time, while another part of her writhed in disappointment.

"Aswebban stige1, Muirne." She muttered under her breath, trying to reassert control over her emotions. Within a few moments she has regained control over her breathing and expression, showing no sign of the storm inside her.

1Calm down

Edited by Kaede Kimura
Untranslated Old Englis

Kam bid farewell to Pan and Eira with a quick wave as he showed Murine about the library and explained the layout and best places for quite or group study.  He returned Tremaynes off hand wave and slowed as they passed his table to offer Benny an apologetic shrug, "Most students have history not all wish to discuss it."  he acknowledged trying to put Muirne at ease sparing a fleeting glance to the adult shadowing them, likely to his mind to prevent the girl revealing more than was prudent about her own history.  

If no further distractions presented themselves he'd continue the tour exiting the library at the far side of the building facing the grounds rather than the quad.