Erik looked over the group of teenagers and replied quietly, "Let's go with scarves to start with. I think we maybe work up to 'soft hands' with some of them." They were about to give the kids enough new things to keep track of as it was.

Taking the trio of brightly coloured silk scarves Talya handed him from the cabinet he proceeded to hand them out to Benny, Leroy and Pan respectively. "Here's how this is going to work," he announced, gesturing for the three of them to space out across the floor of the space. "The three of you tie those to yourself somewhere then pair up. Talya and I are going to walk you through some basic steps; what we do, you do. At the same time, though, each of you is going to try to be the one who's holding the scarf at the end of the dance. Questions?"

Pan rolled back to put in the space, his feet sliding across the floor leaving just the tiniest amount of golden dust behind where his feet had been but moments before. He held the scarf in his hand, playfully moving it around a bit, distracted by it for but a moment, before he tied it around his wrist. "Just one: We have to stay on the floor, yet? No flying?" He sounded almost disappointed, like he had already guessed the answer to the question, but of course, it was quite obvious.

Making sure the scarf was tight against his right wrist, he then shifted his position slightly, holding out his open right hand towards Eira, a devilish smile on his lips, a challenge in his eyes. "Shall we, then? Try to keep up, yes?" 

Edited by RocketLord

"You want to be subtle," Talya said with amusement. "Flying is rarely subtle. Contact is allowed, obviously. This is a combat course so it's acceptable to bruise. Try not to maim your friends. Bloodstains are the very devil to get out of the flooring and we don't have the mats down."

She gave Eira a fond smile as she passed the woman. Talya tended to compartmentalize a bit more than Erik so on the studio floor, she was all teacher rather than fond almost-aunt. Talya moved through the teenagers correcting a foot placement here or a hand there. Once she was satisfied, she returned to Erik. Taking a position opposite him, Talya rested one hand on his shoulder and the other lightly in his hand. "Hand on the bicep if you're following. Hand at the lower part of the shoulderblade if you're leading. Those of you who are leading, it is your responsibility to not careen your partner into other couples. This is about precision, not flattening the entire dance floor. Those of you who are following, it's on you to not try and wrest the control from your partner. You want to interpret one  step at a time, don't predict the dance. This is a conversation in movement, when done properly."

She nodded to Erik, letting him take a step backward, "When he steps back, I follow with the opposite foot; his left goes back, my right goes forward. When he steps forward, that leg goes back. There are three elements to the dance. Compression, where distance is closed. Tension, where we pull apart and leverage, where Erik will use my momentum for the next movement. You don't want to force the movement of your partner." 

Talya paused, turning her head slightly to check on the students as they found a partner and formed up. "We're going to start simple, alright?"

Eira put her sword away with only moderate annoyance, the prospect of being tied to Pan being interesting enough that she was willing to explore this possibility. "I will catch you in the air for the next one," she told him, smirking as they squared off together and waited for the signal. "I am much stronger than you," she added. "You had better be careful letting me grab onto you like this." She leaned in very close as the music started, and said, "I might break something.

As they were instructed to pair up Kam moved opposite Leroy with a small bow, "As you asked I believe tradition dictates you lead."  he suggested with a slight smirk and extended a hand for the taller boy to take as he assessed Leroys comfort on the dance floor.  He had heard all about the ballroom class he'd attended with Judy so Kam knew he wasn't entirely unfamiliar. 

At the mention of bruising he raised a brow, "So dance fight is not then metaphor I see."  he murmured and carefully watched where leroy secreted the scarf as he waited.  He was focused on his opponent for the exercise and not watching Eira and winced slightly at what he was concerned might have been an attempt at flirting.   He spared a glance for Benny and Davyd to make sure he was aware of the space each pair occupied and squared up ready to begin.

Benny laughed as he was paired off with Horrowshow, and he looked at Davyd, "So, youse gonna be nice widdis? Or am I gonna hafta slap away pseudopods?" His brows lifted, as he looked at the scarf, before he moved and worked the scarf around his bicep, as he tied that scarf around that.

"I ain't really one for dancin before, but if I wanna go ta prom sometime, might as well'," a nod before he laughed a little bit, at the situation. "Youse wanna lead or shall I, Davyd?" Resting his fists onto his hips as he looked at his de facto partner.  Which, thus far he got along okay with Davyd, so he didn't see a problem.  But then the lug that was Benny might have behaved in meatheaded ways that could be taken wrong.  The culture shock was real, his response had to be a little outgoing, cause all he had prior was boxing, and that hadn't changed.

"I could be subtle," Pan tried, but he let it go, instead turning fully to Eira as she moved close. 

His face lit up as Eira leaned in close, telling him that she was much stronger, that she might break something. "Ah, but Eira, my dear friend, if you were to break something,"[/color] he paused briefly, as he tended to do for dramatic effect, while his grin split even wider before, "then you will have to catch me first!"

Pan pulled back, following Tayla's instructions. "I will of course lead!"