Darian's interview

Sandman XI

Darian checks himself for the fiftieth time. He has dyed his hair an acceptable color (dark blonde), showered, brushed his teeth, and dressed more formal than usual (a button-up, long sleeved shirt instead of a polo shirt, dress shoes instead of loafers, slacks he always wears, but now with a matching double-breasted coat). His messenger bag has everything he may need: extra paperwork that they may ask for, a few composition books with some of his work, a few small gadgets, and stationery for the just-in-case-of. He has practiced talking to many of the staff - well, holographic images of the staff - so that he won't be intimidated when speaking to them in person. Walking out of the bathroom, he checks his watch. Two hours until he is supposed to be at the school. Right. Darian thinks, Well being early never hurt anyone's chances. As he sits in a chair on the front porch, he remembers that his parents should be back from their chronicling of the empty dimensions right about now. Without fail, a door-sized quicksilver-like passage opens, and his parents appear. They have a quick mumured conversation and then look to Darian. He stands and greets them with a nod, "Welcome home." "Good timing," his mother smiles. "It is better to be early to show that you are eager about your work," he reassures her. "Are you sure you are ready," his mother questions him. Darian goes over everything he has done for the fifty-first time, this time in his mind. One second later, he smiles,"Yes, I have." "Well then," his mother nods, "go get in the car, I will be out in two minutes." Darian walks to the vehicle, as his parents walk into the house. Like clockwork, his mother appears in exactly two minutes. "To Claremont," she asks. "To Claremont," Darian says affirmatively. And with that, they leave.

The ride to the school was uneventful and Darian saw that the route was much like the one that Floyd took when he brought the others to the school. At the gate, the guards on duty asked for his name and after checking a charter handed him a small identification badge.

"Wear this while you're inside. It'll show that you are not a student and are actually here on official business. The other students will leave you alone. When you reach the main building, someone will greet you and lead you to the meeting. I hope you have a pleaseant visit."

The car pulled up exactly where Flyod let the other kids off of the bus and standing there waiting was a familiar sight. Stephanie Harcourt smiled as Darian exited the car. "Welcome back Darian. We were wondering where you went off to earlier. You never did show up for a room assignment."

Darian nods knowingly to his mother as he gets out of the car, and she does the same to him. She drives off campus to do what she needed to do during the time he would be here. Darian smiles when he sees the familiar face, "Miss Harcourt, it is a pleasure to see you again." He nods when he hears the question, "Miss Harcourt, I was not signed up as a student the day I visited. I do not know why I was given a room assignment, as this is the day I was officially supposed to be here." His voice gets shaky, as if he is deviating from a script, "I am here for an interview for an interview for a job in the science technology department. This is the correct day, is it not?"

Stephanie nods her head, "Yes, today is your interview. I was surprised when they told me about it. If you remember, they didn't say anything about earlier when you first arrived."

She begins leading Darian through the compound to the meeting room where teh interview was to be held. As they walked, she continued speaking. "I do have a question for you though. If you're main reason for coming to the school was for a job, why did you show up at the airport and get on the bus? Why didn't you simply wait until today to come?"

Darian smiles and his voice goes back to the sure tone, "Miss Harcourt, I was not intending to come to the school that day. It was a weird amalgamation of circumstances. I was at the airport for reasons for myself. I ran into three of the students having a conversation. It turned into something different when the bus got there. Partly because of my curiousity, I wanted to see the school through the eyes of a student. I had no idea that there would be actual orientation until I got to the school. As you know, my face was very red then." He chuckles at the thought.

"Well, I hope it doesn't affect your interview with Mr. Summers," she says as she reaches their destination. Stephanie knocks on the door and waits for permission to enter before opening the door wide.

Inside of the room was a small coffee table with three chairs around it. Sitting facing the door was Duncan Summers. He stood up and with a warm smile upon his face gestured for both Darian and Stephanie to sit down. "Please, have a seat. I'm glad to finally meet you Darian. I hope your journey here was a good one. Ms. Harcourt, if you would be so kind as to stay as well. I believe things might get a little above my head and can use your expertise in the subject to make sure I don't misunderstand anything."

Stephanie looks surprised at the invitation but nods her head as she takes a seat near Duncan. Only the chair directly opposite of the headmaster was left open for Darian. duncan held out his hand in greeting to the young man.

Darian did not know about the real Duncan Summers. He knew his face, but the practice holograms did not have the man's personality. A mob of thoughts shoot through Darian's mind before the door opens. Affect the interview? Why? I should have never done that. This is going to cost me everything. Doubt be gone. Here it comes. Darian tries to stand even straighter and look even more presentable as the door opens and he and Miss Harcourt enter the room. He smiles and nods to Duncan as he shakes the headmaster's waiting hand, "Good day, Mister Summers. It is a great honor to meet the man I will be working for."

Duncan takes the ahdns and shakes it warmly. "Well, that's something that has yet to be determined, Darian. Please, have a seat."

Once Darian was seated, Duncan took his own seat facing the young man. "I understand that you visited the school earlier. Please, tell me what you thought of your visit."

Ducan sat forward in his chair with an interested gaze upon the young man.

"It was a very humbling experience, Mister Summers. I am ashamed to say that I got on the grounds under false pretentions. I sincerely apologize for my actions. It was orientation for a few students that had just arrived. I met Miss Harcourt and Mister Leroy Hawke. They explained everything. Your staff is very well-informed. Unfortunately, I did not get past anything but the oral part of the presentation, as I feared I was out of place and quickly exited. From what I saw at the front gate, to the Matthias Cooke wing, to the classroom we were taken to, this is a very well kept and professional establishment."

Darian pauses for three ackwardly-long-to-him seconds. Coming out of it, his tone is more confused than worried, but they can hear little bits of both in his voice even though he tries to keep a non-worried look, "Yes sir, I did wonder why my name was on the packet. Not in an 'am I supposed to be here' manner, but more 'how did my name get into the student files' manner. Mister Summers, I was never told that I was supposed to come to student orientation. If you wish for me to repeat the presentation, I will do so."

Duncan sat back. "No, you completed teh orientation, Darian. Simply recieving the package with the information was enough. The problem I'm having is that you are fairly young, Darian, not much older than most of the students here. Having you work as a student assistant is a fairly simple procedure that will not cause hard feelings nor resentment to the other students here."

Duncan folded his hands before him as he continue. "It is not school policy to hire minors, regardless of their ability, as members of hte staff. It would cause too many distruptions."

Darian badgers himself with thoughts, You are not going to give up. No you are not. You are going to accept this and turn it into something you can use! He nods, "I understand, sir. I would love to come to your school as a student assistant. I do have a few questions though. I do not have much in the way of funds, would I be able to afford your institution? Also, I hope I do not sound like I am bragging, but I am afraid that I am well above the high school curriculum. If I am a to be a student, how will this be rectified?"

Duncan smiled at Darian's words. The headmaster leaned back as he answered his quaestion.

"Good to hear that. As for the tution, you'll be paying it off with your work as an assistant. You'll be working with Ms. Harcourt here. As for your classes, each student is assigned classes based on areas that they need to improve as well as challenge the areas to ensure that your speciality areas will improve. You needed worry about the courses, Darian. I'm sure you'll have enjoy your stay with us."

Duncan held out his hand to Darian to shake as he stood up. "I'll let you talk to Ms. Harcourt now. There are a number of other details that I must attend to, so if you'd excuse me."

Darian shakes the headmaster's hand again with a smile and a nod, "Thank you, sir, for taking time out of your busy day to sit and talk with me." As Duncan leaves, Darian turns to Miss Harcourt with the same smile and nod, "I am guessing we will see more of each other in the future. When will the next appiontment be or will I have to set that one up?"

Darian quickly pulls out a notepad and pencil and scribbles down everything Miss Harcourt says. While doing so, he thinks to himself, Well, it could have gone better. You did not want to be a student again, but hey, you are at least taking steps to get out there and socialize with the rest of the world. Progress! When she is done talking, he politely says his goodbye, "Thank you again for your time, Miss Harcourt. I am sure this will be a great opportunity for me and you both. Good day." Pulling out his PDA, he exits the room and sends a message to his mother that the interview is over and to meet where he was dropped off.