Secret Identities

Barnum

Hello everyone

My name is Tryfonas 

And I have been kinda lurking here and a month or so.

I am currently on my third year in the University and i love role-playing, but i find myself being burned out in freeform rp's (not always but still i prefer some kind of supporting structure for reference that way i kinda... stay on track). Now with summer i got time to write around and since my creative juices and my muse seem to be awakening again here i am.

I apologize if i forget something in advance as i am a bit aloof and......well.. jolly at times(and not that aloof at other times).

And stopping myself from writing more now because i sometimes tend to ramble.

That should cover the basics..i think?  :lol:  or at least i hope so.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold on there, something you say doesn't add up. On the one hand you say you're Tryfonas, but your screen name here is Orbital? Very suspicious!

Seriously though, welcome to the site Orbital. And if you want a game that's elastic yet grounded you're in one of the right places to be. Drop a line in Character Building, Campaign Discussion or the Chat room if you have any questions, and I would strongly recommend you look over the character-building threads done by the Ref team over the years if you want a quick and awesome entry into play.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am new to Freedom City PbP, and was wonder where to begin so I am stating here with a quick introduction. I am Valcili and will begin to join in the fun when I can. I am in the process of trying to take some character ideas and putting them to paper in an M&M FC_PbP with house rules version. As I am not overly familiar with all the inner workings of M&M (I have read most of the books) and even less so with the character sheet format, I’ll be posting a thread in the character building thread with what I have developed and will respectfully ask for opinions to help flesh them out to make the acceptable and usable within this site.

I’ll post more later down the road as time permits. Nice to meet you all and hope for some exciting interaction in the near future

• 3 months later...

Hey, everyone!  Since I'm unable to get into chat at my job, I figured I'd pop in here and make an introductory post for the moment.  My name's Geoff, and I'm friends in RL with Knight Disciple (not sure if that's an endorsement or a detriment!), and he's been trying to convince me for years to join up.  I don't really have that much experience with M&M beyond designing the odd character and a pretty abortive campaign a few years back, but I do like the system and its flexibility.  I've got a lot more experience at other tabletop games, particularly 3.5 and Pathfinder, though this is going to be my first real foray into play-by-post.

Beyond tabletop (or, in this case, PBP) gaming, I'm still pretty much a geek.  I love fantasy and sci-fi; as you can tell by handle, I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I'm also a bit of a LOTR freak.  I've got a Master's in history and social studies education, though I'm currently working in a job that uses none of my fancy degrees!  I love writing, reading, and playing games and hope to fit in here and enjoy some good M&M gaming.

Hi Geoff, welcome to the site! I believe I speak for most of us when I say that any friend of KnightDisciple's is likely to be tolerated around here! Just don't do anything crazy or stupid or obnoxious, obviously.

Don't worry about not getting all the rules at first, I had even less experience than you in tabletop games when I joined in 2011, and I've done pretty well. Be sure to read up the House Rules and Newbie Guide thoroughly, those cannot be stressed enough for how many questions they can answer for new players. And like I told Tryfonas above it's a really good idea to look into the character creation threads the Refs and players have put together, be it for simple curiosity, understanding how to build for certain effects, to get ideas, or what-have-you. Looking forward to what you decide to make and play!

As an aside, hypothetically speaking, what are the odds of a fine, upstanding and understanding Corsec sort like yourself turning a hypothetically kind eye to hypothetical breaches of the law that might, hypothetically, occur in the next five minutes?

• 1 month later...

Hi, everybody!

I've been reading FCPBP for some time, actually found out about it via tvtropes. So, what can I tell? I'm 24, Polish, currently a student trying to write his BA paper on American propaganda in the 30s and 40s. I've been playing RPGs for about 10 years now. Mostly WHFRP, Call of Cthulhu, and some Polish stuff (The Witcher, Neuroshima). I don't have much experience with PBPs, and it's my first one about M&M, and it's in English! What have I gotten myself into. Oh, also, I think I can speak English fairly well but feel free to point out some awkward grammatical constructions or mixing vocab from AmE and BrE. Anyway, not counting RPGs, I'm interested in comic books, history and sociolinguistics (in that order, actually sociolinguistics is a rather new interest of mine).

Also: I've already PMd Thevshi about my situation, but I guess I can post this here as well. I didn't know that the new players were given priority on getting their characters approved, so I thought I wouldn't be approved until late January/early February. And, because of my university stuff, I won't be able to be active until early February.

Hello Kanister! Welcome to the site. Good to have a Pole about, never know when those damned krzyzacy will show up to be jerks!

And you are yet another member who found us from TVTropes, it's getting crazy. That page is worth its weight in gold in terms of wrangling in new people.

Also, I had no idea The Witcher got a role-playing game. Seems kind of obvious in hindsight, its setting and series tone seems perfect as a more grounded counterpoint to the Dark Eye(going by what I've heard of it, never had the chance to play it). With that much experience you should do fine, so long as you don't do anything really stupid or crazy(if you suspect something you want to do might be one of those, ask our friendly Mod team!). I had less than a month or two of RP'ing under my belt when I started here. And don't worry about the language thing too much. So long as it's intelligible you're fine. This isn't a high-art philosophy piece where subtleties of language can totally change a sentence's meaning.

In other curiosities, what kind of comics are you into Kanister?

Edited by Arichamus

Thanks, Arichamus!

Yeah, The Witcher got a rather mediocre RPG in the early 2000s. After a pretty bad movie and TV series. Some time ago I heard they're going to release second edition but they probably won't.

As for the comics: I'm mostly into superheroes and Polish indie stuff, though I won't say no to other well-written stuff like Y: The Last Ma. Some of my favorite books/runs: Geoff Johns' Teen Titans, Kyle & Yost's New X-Men, Invincible, the second incarnation of Guardians of the Galaxy (totally hyped for the movie) or that new Thor book.

Hail and well met, new friends!

I, Dasaka, have come to you from...wherever it is I am, to tell you...hi. I am yet another person who found their way to this website of websites through the TV Tropes page. Can't help myself. I love TV Tropes.

But, yes, about me...I am a 19-year-old student from the UK who is currently studying creative writing. It is an awesome course. I enjoy books, especially if they're in the fantasy or science fiction genre, writing, comic books, comedy, anime, and a few other things. One of those things being roleplaying. I'm a fairly novice tabletop roleplayer, having only gotten into it last year. Since then I've played a few games, such as D&D, Shadowrun, Yggdrasil, Cthulhutech, Cosmic Patrol (my current favourite) and, of course, Mutants and Masterminds.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone! I'm an American university student currently studying abroad in Jordan, and wanted to have a little taste of home in the form of what I always enjoyed back in the states: writing and superheroes. I'm actually about to head off on a week-long retreat into the countryside, where I'll have no internet, so my timing's not ideal, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm not just here to lurk; I'm eager to get involved.

I'm not sure how solid I am on the MnM rules; I'm an International History major who barely survived my econ requirements, as numbers are not my friends. I am, however, really looking forward to having some new folks to write with once I survive character creation. Speaking of which, if anyone has a character looking for backstory connections, or any other kind of character suggestion, I'm up for anything. Send me a PM and we'll talk.

My schedule will be weird compared to most of you for the next three months; when the chatroom is crowded, I'm just waking up. Still, I will try and pop in and meet some of you before I head out. Maybe I'll even get a character draft ready in time. And when I get back, it will be my extreme pleasure to jump into writing with you on what looks to be a deep and enduring site.

Hi Sszinid! Welcome to the site!

Wow. Jordan's a heck of a place to learn in. Don't worry about the time-zone difference thing, we have folks from all over, especially Great Britain and Australia, and all of them will be happy to hammer things out! Glad to know we can help you get your fix while you're away from home!

As for the rules...it's good to make sure you know the basics(Power Level caps for Abilities/Skills/Power Ranks, the difference between damaging powers that require saves of Power Rank+15 vs. the rest that need Power Rank+10, and so on) but I'm sure we've had folks start out on far shakier ground than you, and will be happy to help you understand how it works. Trust me, it's actually a very easy system to learn compared to most of them! Here's hoping you can play in not too long.

• 3 months later...

Even though this thread was last used back in February, I suppose I might as well pop my head in and introduce myself, seeing as I'm socially awkward even on the internet and would feel weird just coming into the chat out of nowhere.

So yeah, hi everybody. I'm a teenage student from everybody's favourite insignificant little island nation in Europe who happened to find his way over here from TV Tropes. As should be expected from someone who's applying to join a superhero-based RPG, I'm a big fan of superheroes in pretty much all forms of media, and an aspiring writer with delusions of grandeur. I figure that this should be a good way to make the best of both traits.

I'll confess that whilst I have experience with tabletop gaming (specifically DnD 3e, 4e and Pathfinder) I've never actually played Mutants and Masterminds before. Whilst I have taken part in play-by-post games before, they were far more freeform and didn't involve any of these silly "rules" or "games systems". This means that I'm probably going to end up being that annoying new guy who doesn't know things that he should. Just thought I ought to warn you in advance. But if you'll take me, I'm looking forward to playing with you all. In the completely innocent sense of the word, of course.

Welcome to the site!

Asking questions is a good thing! Ask as many questions as you need to get up to speed. Virtually everyone was that 'annoying new guy who doesn't know things he should' at one point or another, so don't worry about that. Prior experience with the basics of the d20 system will help a little.

Hope you enjoy your time here, and welcome.

Now now horngeek, he did say 'everyone's favourite'. So that rules out Iceland.

More seriously, good to have you aboard, MindMessiah. Thunder King said all that really needs to be said, but let me add the Great Rule: play what you want to play. If the concept has issues or won't be(trust the Moderators on that, they are pretty well-versed in how things work here, what fits and doesn't) much fun, don't take it personally, the goal here is to enjoy making up stories about superheroes. With some tweaks so they make sense.

Hope you can get started soon. :)

There are, technically, multiple nations that could fit that description. So, Ireland, Cyprus, or Iceland? :P

None of the above, actually. I'm from the UK, England in particular. Only reason I felt presumptuous enough to refer to it as "everyone's favourite" is because I reckon those 300 years or so of imperial colonialism really helped endear us to the rest of the world.

But anyway, thanks for the warm welcome. I already have a character concept in mind, I'm just trying to work out some of the details and figure out how the character creation system works. That's probably a topic better suited for the chat if/when I work up the courage to stick my head in there, though.

Edited by MindMessiah
  • 1 month later...

About me: for starters I’m blind, hence the title, and while that’s arguably not the most important thing about me. It does mean that I perceive the world and use a computer a bit different than those that are sighted. I was born with some vision, but it was very poor, and lost it completely in high school. Thankfully, it wasn’t hard to adjust. I have a B.A. in Psychology, and a Masters in Adult Education, and do a fair bit of writing on the side, for journals and such, as well as several training manuals, for individuals with visual impairments.

This is my first time playing M&M, indeed, my first time doing anything like this. As a consequence, I will need to first learn how this site operates, all sites are a little different, and then I can get down to submitting my character. I’ll be asking questions as I go, since I’ll have them, and will be relying on more experienced folks to correct me as I go along. Oh, feel free to correct me about anything I do here, it’ll help me out a lot, and feel free to ask any questions you have, I wont get offended. Well, that’s a little slice of me.  

Glad to have you aboard, blindguy! The folks who run and inhabit the place are always ready to answer questions and work things through, I'm sure you'll do fine.

And Mutants & Masterminds is just grand when you learn how to work it. Thanks for joining us.

Welcome Bguy!

We pretty much try to help out new players as much as possible, getting their PCs approved as a priority and offering up some threads (planned with you) quickly. 

One "issue" is chat. There is no need to be in chat to play, at all. However, it is probably reasonable to say a number, or even the majority, of threads grow organically from chat. Given you wont be entering chat, you will escape the Sanity checks of such horror, but I hope we can all try and help you get into some threads, and the site, bearing in mind you wont be in chat. 

Of course, not being in chat doesnt mean you cant chat! Throw PMs left right at centre!

• 2 months later...

Wonderful, I messed up character creation and didn't notice this thread at all. Not the best way to make a good impression. Anyway, here I am.

I'm Italian, 27, and a doctor in training. I love reading, videogames, comics, roleplaying and I've taken up writing lately. I came here looking for M&M PbP games which, apparently, are a very scarce commodity on the net...

Please bear with me as I learn the rules, I was introduces to M&M with 3rd edition, and I'm a "fluff over crunch" girl in general.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well might as well start off by adding myself to this ever growing list.

37, from Minneapolis, MN.

Superheroes and Superheroines have been pretty much my life for quite a while, and will probably be so for the forseeable. Table Top Rp has been my mainstay, and seeing a favorite system of mine being used here still is... well it's pretty good bait to draw me in.

Started off with Mutants and Masterminds Second Edition in a summer event at a local game shop... Will probably translate him (in this form Her) to this game as well as a couple other ideas to start.