Secret Identities

Barnum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! I'm Austin, and I'm from Florida. I'm a 21 year old student, and I've been playing pen and paper games for about two years now. One of my big hobbies, and M&M 2E is one of my favorite systems. Though, admittedly, my DM House Rules it so much that there are some things that are probably going to throw me off here. Can't wait to get to know all of you!

• 3 weeks later...

Allo, all. I've been around for a bit, but let's make it formal, shall we?

I'm a student in my freshman year. I've been playing RPGs, mostly DnD, since I was too young to really understand the rules, and I was into forum-based writing even before that. I've been doing DnD online on and off for years, but since I've had to leave home I've been looking to be a part of something bigger and longer lasting than a lone campaign. I found this site on TV Tropes, and I've heard only good things, so I decided to apply.

I'm here to fight loneliness and write stories, and I'm all out of... never mind.

Edited by Dragonsong
  • 1 month later...

Hi:)

My name is Chris. I'm the new guy. I was born and raised in Minnesota, I've lived here my entire life. I started playing Dungeons & Dragons when I was 12 and I've been playing RPGs ever since. I've been looking for a really good Superhero RPG for a while and I kind of stumbled across Mutants & Masterminds.

Being the massive nerd that I am, I already own 3 book although I've never played the game. I was hoping to cut my teeth with a group of experienced players, but I can't find any in my area so I'm trying Play-by-Post for the first time.

I look forward to gaming with you.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I figure I might as well introducify myself here, even if most of you have in fact talked to me in the chat.

I'm Bishop, if you want to go by the name I use with friends, and I'm a fairly young guy from Ottawa who currently lives with his step-family, generally minding the kids (who are destructive and a time-sink). Generally I like to think myself polite, if given to gaffs, and I am very much into role-playing. Got into it, jeez, about six years ago now. Uh, what else about me. I'm very into history, especially the Dark Ages and Early Medieval Period, uh, I like animation, I am a loungechair politician in my spare time and I'm perpetually unemployed (not that I want to be).

So... Yeah. Don't know if I painted the most flattering picture of myself there but at least it's honest.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys i'm Dan from Scotland and i found this site through tv tropes like quite a few people it seems. I've been looking to come up with some superhero based stories and this looks like the perfect place. I'm a bit of a noob at M&M and roleplaying in general but i'll take whatever advice or critisims on board and hopefully have some fun. i'm already really enjoying the characters and stories people have came up with here.

Besides that i work as a sous chef were i helkp prepar hilariously overpriced meals. I like all the usual geeky things but perticularly space operas, weird comics and the discworld books. i'm also into my music, mostly alternative but i'll listen to anything that i think has a hook.

And i think thats it. see you on the battle field. 8-)

• 1 month later...

Hmm where to begin...

I was born at a young age and immediately began to regret it.

Okay SERIOUSLY NOW... My name is John and I'm 40-ish. Been doing RPGs since I was 12 or there-abouts and never really stopped. I'm from a military family so I grew up on military bases. Started playing Super Hero RPGs Way the hell back in Champions 2nd edition and Marvel Super Heroes. I attended college in Virginia, got married (IT SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME), divorced, relocated to the family 'base of operations' in Corpus Christi, Texas. I currently work as network admin - computer sorceror for a real estate title company.

I cut my Play via email in the Global Guardians PBEM, where I had just managed to get my characters approved when we had a Retcon and moved from around 2024 to current day. My most successful character was a teenage speedster named Kid Zoom (ah good times, running around Paris and leaving KZ shaped dents in the cars he'd crash into).

My fiancee, Shelly will be joining us here sometime as we tend to pursue activities as a couple, from our regular Saturday night table top RPG game (Pathfinder Early Eberron) to World of War-crack-craft, where we hang our hats on a PVPRP server cause our Troll-centric RP guild is awesome. Here's our painfully out of date website http://www.blackmoontribe.com where I'm known as 'Bantaro' or 'Do-Not-Follow Bantaro'. Virtual worlds give me the direction sense of a lemming. City of Heroes, Left 4 Dead, Eve Online, I will find a cliff to accidentally die from it.

I'm still working on the background for the first character I'll submit but I'm looking at 'BLATANTLY STEALING' the Super-Soldier archetype built by Ecalsneerg. Something kind of with a Bronze Age of comics feel.

Hello all Freedom City people,

I'm Chad, and when I'm not wearing my red super-sorcerer pajamas I work with computers for one of those Wall Street firms that pass around money and somehow make a profit.

I've been interested in RPGs since my teens, when I started an obsession with collecting rulesets (even wrote a few bad sets of rules), even though I had trouble finding anyone to play with.

Starting with college I did my time with Dungeons and Dragons, continuing to collect rules (including all three editions of M&M). Last year I started GMing my first M&M game and have really enjoyed the system.

But, since the demands of real life (mostly my own- wife, kids, new house), have made it hard to commit to playing at the table often enough, here I am seeking other gaming opportunities.

Welcome, Thermonuclear! This is a great place to do some gaming when your schedule and the kiddos prevent sitting down for extended gaming sessions. You should find everything you need to get started in the Newbie Guide and the House Rules. If you have any questions or would like to meet people (it's a great way to get threads!), stop on into the chat room, accessible from the upper left menu bar. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi horngeek! Welcome to the site, and glad to hear you have previous experience with forum RP. I certainly didn't when I started out here... >_>

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them! Be sure to check out the Newbie Guide and House Rules if you haven't already, and check this page out to get loads of inspiration for the kind of character(s) you want to play here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm new to the forums, though not to pbp - I've been playing those for years, as tabletop roleplaying isn't common at all where I live and my English is not so good. I've been reading the site for a while and you style is... unconventional compared to what I'm used to, but I'll se if I can adapt.

In the meantime I have a couple character creation rules, but those are best saved for the appropiate thread.

• 4 weeks later...

It occurred to me that, even after having written up a character and hung out in chat . . . I never actually came and introduced myself. Opps.

I'm Freely, long time PbP player and Mutants and Mastermind novice. I heard Granspear talking about it and followed him back. I'm a college student sitting right in the middle of the united states. So far the welcome I've gotten is nothing less than stellar.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody! I'm Frank. I played City of Heroes for the better half of a decade and have been suffering from superhero withdrawal up until I found this website in a desperate search for a new fix.

When it comes to real life, as of this writing I'm a substitute teacher in my home town. I have a BA in History and hope to be attending law school in the fall.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, everyone! I actually joined the site a month or so ago, but it seems I was classified as a likely spambot, and Atomic Think Tank was not accepting registrations at the time so I could not appeal to Herr Doktor. I've been here, lurking and reading your wonderful threads, in the time since, and it seems that someone has noticed my dogged persistance and taken pity on me, so I am a validated member at last!

I am a college student about to enter his third year, though I'm presently home for the summer scrupulously avoiding work whenever possible. I love to write, and have been on any number of forum roleplays as well as a few genuine Play by Posts, but this site seems to be unique in scope and persistence, which is wonderful to see. It should also help me work through my great sorrow at seeing my beloved City of Heroes die; my superhero itch can again be scratched.

I look forward to the chance to write alongside you all, but it may be a while yet before I get the chance; I'm having a little trouble coming up with a concept that hasn't already been done (and done very, very well, I might add), and I wish to avoid coming close to bad overlap. Something entirely unique for the site would be preferable, but even the obscure superhero tropes have been nicely covered. We'll have to see what I can find/imagine.

In any case, thank you very much for having me!

Edited by Elegy

Hi Elegy, welcome to the site!

I'm hardly the best person to talk about this, but I'd strongly encourage you to not get discouraged because someone else has come up with a character idea like yours. Uniqueness for its own sake does few favors. Captain Marvel and Superman are both super-strong fliers with strange powers besides, but they're different enough to complement each other when they meet up.

Similarly, there are several geniuses in powered armor that do nothing to devalue each other when they all show up. Details are important.

That and there are gaping holes in our hero lineups anyway.