Secret Identities

Barnum

Looks like I skipped step 1 (introductions) and went straight to character building. I guess I should remedy that.

I'm a 28 (as of yesterday) year old Computer Programmer from East Texas.

I got a late start on table top games about 3 years ago. Not a lot of gamers here in the lone star state, or, if there are, I guess we're not hanging out at the same places. I've been messing around with PbP games for slightly longer, and have even taken a few stabs at running some ill-fated Mutants and Mastermind's games on rpol.net. Very few other hobbies are left to me at this point. Although, I do get the occasional hour or two to work on a couple of personal programming projects, or hack up some heroclix mini's and glue them back together in some vague semblance of my MnM characters.

I have a nearly 2 year old son recently diagnosed with an as yet unidentified form of epilepsy. So, I may have trouble getting to the computer on occasion, but I should at least be able to give everyone a heads up if I expect to be out for any length of time.

So, I guess that's it.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, guess its my turn to take off the mask... Try not to get scared. :D

I live in Las Vegas with my family (wife and daughter). Work sucks, bouncer at a nightclub, lots of yelling and pushing people, not my idea of a dream job, but it gets through school. I'm currently working on getting a website started for martial artists to post in a community setting (strictly on combat and self-defense applications, not tournament or MMA stuff).

I've been playing RPGs for over 15 years now (uber geek, I know) and just as long in video games, same genre but I favor MMO's nowadays. Looking forward to Champions Online.

I like walks on the beach, meals at sunset... :oops: , wrong forum, I'll try to stay on topic.

As for characters I like physical characters like Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman (does every character end with gender?) Captain America, and Wolverine. There are a few energy controllers I like, but most of them have a flair to their style or still function in a melee style like Gambit, Jedi, Psylocke (because typical psionics are boring at range), and Magneto (only because he &^%%ing rocks!). I like my characters to be fun and unique, but they do tend to hint towards whatever inspiration I used to conjure them up, unfortunately.

I'm glad to be playing on these boards. I look forward to a lot of fun here.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay guys, I just noticed this little thread, and though I am wary of sharing who I really am with you seedy individuals, I suppose I'll take the risk ;)

I'm a 27 yr old man, from Texas, living there now. Spent time in the Navy as a Sonar Technician on board submarines. Been playing roleplaying games since I was a teen. Spent much of my life practicing varying martial arts, playing guitar, writing poems/stories, and studying philosophy and technology in general. I've been married and divorced once, had one child who died shortly after birth, have been around the world, twice now, and have generally made everyone else's life as miserable as possible :twisted:. Only kidding. There's not a lot that's terribly interesting to tell about me, so this is rather short, but you people get the basic gist of things. I'm a fairly open person, so if anyone has any questions or needs anything, don't be afraid to ask.

E

Hey folks! The place for new players is the place for me, so here goes.

I'm a Canadian Radio and Television Arts major in my final year. The plan is to write for and create television shows once I earn my degree, specifically animated series. I'm currently pitching a steampunk/noir hybrid called Exotikos Noir, which I'm pretty pumped about.

Although I have a history with RPGs, it's only relatively recently that I've begun playing on PbP boards. I'm a Narrator over on Finding Serenity, which has been a fantastic experience. As much as I love the truly free-form play over there, I'm a bit of a rules junkie. This site came highly recommended, so I figured I'd give M&M a shot. I'm still learning the system, but I've got enough d20 experience that I should catch on quickly.

Beyond that, I dabble in stop-motion and action figure customization. I had a lot of free time this summer which manifested itself as a Transformers kitbashing binge. You can find me on deviantART and flickr as 'Gizmo-Tracer'. I'm a pretty big indie rock nerd, and I consume by body weight in webcomics a day (which, considering they're pretty much electrons, is pretty impressive).

That should give you a pretty good idea, I guess. Looking forward to getting my superhero on with all of you!

Thanks, glad to be here!

Well, I've got good news and arguably bad new for you. The arguably bad news is that Finding Serenity doesn't use the Firefly RPG rules. It's totally free-form, with heavy Narrator (mod) support. It's not so different; you establish your character's strengths and weaknesses, which are taken into account when you attempt something, there just aren't many hard numbers. The good news is that it actually works really well. It's a terrific community, and the crew system really captures the feel of the show and film (and comics!). I know some people refuse to play anything that doesn't involve dice, but I'd heartily recommend taking a look, especially if you're a fan of the 'Verse.

Sure, I can understand that. Sites like Finding Serenity are more about collaborative writing and telling a cool story than gaming or 'wining', per se, though the roleplaying aspect is consistent. In a sense it's less random, since everything happens for a reason, but it does mean giving up some control as a player. There's a different mindset involved, for sure.

If it helps, look at it like this: In M&M, if you wanted your character to be a crack shot at PL 10, you'd probably go for maximum trade-offs and buy his or her ranged attack up to +15. You might not hit everything, but you've certainly got a much better chance than the average person in-game. You might even grab Precise Shot and so on to emphasize the point.

For a 'numberless' game, you'd describe in your character application the sort of training and/or natural talent your character has with firearms, perhaps noting past feats of spectacular marksmanship, the same way a +15 score would require justification on a site like this one. The Narrator would see all of that and know that your character has a distinct advantage over most combatants, and take it into account. The net result is that you sill know exactly what your character's strengths and weaknesses are.

Anyway, as I've said, I've found it to be really fun, and I'd definitely recommend it, but it's not for everyone.

Greetings. Its about time I started

I am 24, I just graduated college with no career path or career in sight. I live pretty close to DC in Maryland. In this location I am exceedingly bored. Even worse it is a very boring locale. And I mean this is the level of boredom that desprate people experience. There are small stories of vandalism though not very often. Luckily I choose to spend my time to become even more bored instead of doing stupid stuff. Dont get me wrong. I live in somewhat upscale neighborhood (whatever that means) Its just that theres NOTHING TO DOOOOOoooooooooooooo

Not to whine, complain, or undermine myself; but I was born with an obssessive compulsive anxiety disorder (If you want to know what that is: just ask) that has been the bane of my existance. I am merely explaining this as a part of who I am. Functioning daily is an extreme chore for me. I Exercise daily but I feel I should do more. To lessen the blow I try to occupy myself with thought exercising entertainment: I.E. Play by post games. I also play games that are not so thought exercising I.E. computer games. My friends have all either joined the military, are looking for jobs in other far away locations, and generally do not have time to hang out. So currently I am deprived socially as well. Other then my woes I am a friendly kinda guy. I wish to become a philanthropist.

I have been playing RPG games since college. I first played DND and I played as much as possible. I also played a little of Rifts, Deeds not words (A super hero game similar to M&M), Paranoia, Shadowrun and Starwars. After college I discovered the Miracle of Play by post games and began searching for sites. I am currently playing in mutiple games on a shadowrun site as well as hosting one. This is my first time ever playing Mutants and Masterminds and I look foward to it.

Introduction...hmm...

Hello!

I'm a 27 year-old pathology and autopsy assistant currently residing in Flyover Country (Kansas!) U.S.A. I don't travel much, love the sunsets, read horror, philosophy and science, dabble in my own writing, play ultra-violent video games and am doing my part to bring about the rise of Ct...Next Scientific Revolution! Actually I'm a pretty normal post-college guy trying to make his way in an insane world. And yes, Kansas is pretty flat, but we do have trees.

My RPG experience includes ADnD, DnD 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu (I swear R'lyeh is here!), Exalted, WoD new/old, Mechwarrior, Cthulhutech, Star Wars Revised/Saga, GURPs and of course MnM! Reading that list back, I feel like a huge geek. *rips shirt, revealing giant 'G' logo* Proud of it. :ugeek:

I originally found Freedom City quite a while back, but have simply been lurking. Didn't want to get burned when the site disappeared, but looks like FC is here for the long haul! Means hopefully I'll have a PL 10 villain and a PL 6 hero in the pipeline soon. Nice to meet you all and glad to be here.

Darius

Welcome aboard.

You'll fit in quite well with that RPG history backing you up. *Points at the 'G' rims on the refmobile*

Throw your character up in the Character Bank, the Ref Team will iron it out for play, and you'll be sent on your way.

I suggest you also make a quick stop at the time line thread so you can see what the recent goings on are, and give a quick glance over at the other characters to get some potential thread ideas going, and to see if there are other groups you want to join in.

Most of us tend to hang out in the AJAX chat, so feel free to pop in and say hi and socialize with the group.

Again, feel free to voice any comments, questions or concerns about the site, and welcome aboard.

• 3 weeks later...

Salutations!

I'm a 26 year old nuclear chemist living in Wichita, KS. I'm a big fan of Hong Kong Action Cinema, Anime & Manga, Computer Gaming, Military History, Philosophy, Tabletop Boardgames, Science, and of course RPG's. All and all just a normal run of the mill lab rat.

I've been playing pen and paper RPGs for a while, starting with Star Wars D6 and expanding to DnD 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder, Spycraft/Stargate SG-1, Exalted, Shadowrun, Mechwarrior, Legend of the 5 Rings, Star Wars Revised/Saga, d20 Modern, Mutants & Masterminds and a smattering of others. Yay for being an otaku!

Like Darius, I had been using hide in plain sight to keep an eye on the board, and hope it would last longer than some games I've had the misfortune of watching fall apart from the inside. But now, I'm ready for some action.

• 1 month later...

i'm Blue from a neighboring board, where Doc Archville used to admin (and so did Sorus).

In all fairness I'm new here myself and merely providing hosting and technical support, so I should probably introduce myself.

Sup?

Like many i have extensive RPG experience across several genres. Respectfully I'm going to decline to share many details of my personal life, other than to say it's a mess and I'm working to correct the damage done to it over the past eight years.

While I've participated and ran PbP games before, I haven't really participated in a long time (and now just do admin work). Chances are after all the glitches are worked out here, I'll give Freedom City a go.