Secret Identities

Barnum

Close, It was err I cant remember what it was called, one of your characters, the shapechanger i believe you were looking for a portal into the fey realms, and my character (the Ember paw) -the kitsune fox-boy who could smell magic- helped you find it. ;)

Ah yeah, I mistook you for someone else! Grim was just telling Dr Archeville about the trip to Avalon, and Ember was mentioned, but not by name.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't posted here yet, so I might as well ;)

I'm a X-year-old university student in Ontario, Canada, going for a joint-major in English and History, emphasis on English Literature, and I'm hoping a master's degree in that'll give me max on my Knowledge checks.

Other than that, I live pretty quietly. Work-wise I run a semi-regular bike courier service, but other than that I'm living off student loans and sending out piles and piles of resumes.

Fell in love with tabletop via my dad, who used to play in a big way back in university/high school, and passed all his old sourcebooks and miniatures (mostly 1st edition D&D and the like) down to me.

Yeah, I'm a boring person. >.<

Hello everyone! *waves madly in a friendly way*

Okay then, I'm a 41 year old illustrator/ 3d artist (videogames) who has been oldstyle gaming on and off since '82 or so. I love comic books, anime, manga, action films, videogames, fantasy (especially ELVES!!!! Tolkien type that is) and all sorts of other crafty things like sewing. I'm an ameture singer, I write fiction for fun and play World Of Warcraft and have tried to play various games like CoH and the like.

I'm Canadian and proud of it, an animal lover, people watcher and all around goofball. I know I get a bit manic and distracted by the shiney, but I'm mostly harmless, entirely too friendly and usually willing to help folks when and where I can. Life on the west coast here is wonderful, laid back and lovely - I enjoy providing a sympathetic ear, a cup of tea and a laugh or two.

Oh yes, I blame Raveled for enticing me here with cookies and chocolate and handsome men with long blonde hair ( bit of an in-joke there). ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I figured this was as good a place as any for my first post on the boards :D . I'm 24 and pretty much a major geek. I started down the geek road early, I was a very sick kid so when my dad started bringing me x-men comics while I was stuck in the hospital I was pretty much hooked.

I recently moved to West Virginia and sadly gaming options are very limited around here, so I'm hoping this site will help me get my fix of gaming goodness :D

I'm new to mutants and masterminds, up until now I have used the GURPS system for all my groups superhero needs but this system looks like it could be more fun and less of a headache.

I'm new to mutants and masterminds, up until now I have used the GURPS system for all my groups superhero needs but this system looks like it could be more fun and less of a headache.

*tosses the newbie some field mouse brains*

Yeah, M&M beats out GURPS, HERO, and every other superhero or "universal" system for sheer elegant simplicity.

Hello!

First time poster, long time lurker, finally worked up the nerve to try and join. Relatively new to M&M, but I liked the system enough to buy the book, so I suppose that's a start. I'm 29, I live in Louisiana, and writer, gamer, and roleplayer. ...yeah, I think that about sums it all up. :)

Hello!

First time poster, long time lurker, finally worked up the nerve to try and join. Relatively new to M&M, but I liked the system enough to buy the book, so I suppose that's a start. I'm 29, I live in Louisiana, and writer, gamer, and roleplayer. ...yeah, I think that about sums it all up. :)

Welcome! You made the right decision :) Looking forward to seing you around the boards.

Hello! My name is... Dream. I've been told we can't use our real names here. It's weird being called something you're not :P Anyway. I'm 21. Currently unemployed. Very much a mama's boy. Still living with her :) I am autistic, but I plan to not annoy you much. I hope. I am an Internet newbie, relatively. Been lurking on it for about a week or so. Right now I'm sponging it off of Sandman XI. My geek cred, as it were, is that I grew up watching the cartoons of the 90s. Batman, Superman, X-Men, Spiderman, Darkwing Duck :P I also remember when the only anime around was Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z and Pokemon! But I'm told that doesn't matter around here. I stopped watching cartoons when I got in high school. The last show I remember watching was X-Men Evolution. This is my first RPG ever. I'm learning like a blank slate. I've got the basics down. I can read some things without scratching my head. I have a very good teacher though! Nice to meet you people! 'Dream' signing out.

• 1 month later...

Heya, all. I'm Kavonde, or Ed if ya like. I'm 27, finally finishing up college, and currently slaving away as an underpaid retail grunt.

So, uh...get off my lawn, you damn kids. *shakes cane*

Oh, I'm also a general purpose geek and learnin' the guitar. Or at least trying to. My neighbors may have other words for it. And I currently live in Bakersfield, California, but I'm outta here and heading to Seattle as soon as I graduate. I will embrace my hippie nature. Already growin' the hair long.

May as well Introduce myself.

Northstar here, unemployed college student working on my bachelors. Out here in the far away land of Colorado, we got lots of DnD, we have Dark Heresy, and Star Wars Saga Edition, and Battletech, but we don't have any supers games. Then i discovered this place on TV tropes, and here I am

I had a similar background. Less dark heresy and more white wolf, though. Since I first tried this back when I was in college, it's become my favorite rpg. This community in particular has been my roleplaying standby for over two years now. I know you'll like what you see, and I hope your here to stay. That goes for the rest of you that I haven't responded to yet as well!

Welcome aboard,

Q

• 1 month later...

So. I've realized that in all my time here, I've yet to actually post a secret identity. Some of this will likely be obvious to you who lurk in the chat room, but what the hell.

I'm a 24 year old development assistant (at least, I think that's the job title) living in Los Angeles. I grew up on the outskirts of Boston most of my life, and went to school at Emerson, a liberal arts/media/communications school right on the Common. It was through that school that I ended up out in Los Angeles thanks to an internship program in my senior year, and it was a second internship that led me to my current job -- reading script submissions and saying what works and what sucks. If you've been in chat regularly, you may be aware that this occasionally causes aneurysms and torrents of WTF.

I've been gaming since I was eighteen -- in one of those cosmic shows of irony, I finally saw the potential of games like D&D two weeks before my high school graduation. College keyed me into the dark world of LARP, where I've been steadily engaging in the depths of geekery since age 19. I'm mostly active in the Cam (White Wolf's LARP group), and TT-wise, I play everything from D&D to WoD to Exalted to Shadowrun.

• 6 months later...

I am a 28 year old nerd from out of Oregon. Been playing RPGs since I was 11, and reading comics since the 80's. Like the person above me, I am a Cam member, and add infrequent LARPing to a gaming resume that is probably too large.

Currently I am employed working in a warehouse, but am looking to switch jobs, and start back to school part time, or transition back to college full time in the future. Who knows.

And currently I am realizing I made an ambitious starting character backstory, and am trying to nail it down to my satisfaction.

Hi I'm Tendril,

I work at a small computer repair shop. I run the place, so it means I can be online all the time, and can hang out in the chatroom alot, it also means I'm extremely busy all the time and so posts take time and planning as they are longer than a quick shot in the chatroom.

I try to be gender neutral/ambiguous, just let me have my game :)

I play D&D on tuesdays, and Shadowrun and BESM on alternate Saturdays. Been playing Rift but lost interest in it. MMOs in general don't hold my interest for long.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been brought to my attention in chat that I'm a pretty "unknown quantity." My less-than-desirable-for-the-setting initial draft for my character (to put it mildly) surely did nothing to alleviate that!

So, who the hell is Bishop?!

My wife and I are attorneys in Houma, Louisiana, and we have an 8-year-old son. We do mostly criminal and domestic law and have our own practice. I've been getting on chat a lot, but I'm going to have to cut that back if I'm going to get any work done! It's just so addictive!

I got started in RPG's back when there was only one. I got into playing mainly Champions when I was in high school and GURPS in college. I also dabbled in MUDs after college. I did lots of MMO's over the years, starting with Ultima Online when it first came out, beta'd EverQuest, which came out when I was in law school, played DAOC the longest (maybe because my wife was into it, too. WAY more into it than I was, really.) Like Tendril, I tend to get bored with MMO's pretty quickly, though. They just aren't the same as "the real thing."

I've played most major RPG's at least a little, but I never actually played M&M. Since I have a hard time finding a group to play with these days, I originally bought the first edition of M&M pretty much assuming I'd never actually play it. I just liked exploring the rules and making up characters. Over the years, it seems I enjoy that more than actually playing, since that is what I spend the far larger percentage of time doing. (Even doing it for games I know, or think I know, I'll never play!)

So, a few years back, probably through Atomic Think Tank, I discovered an Online PbP for Freedom City. It was a different one from this one. I think it was in about 2003 or 4 or so. I was very excited, since it seemed my dream-come-true: a way I could play online without the artificial limitations of an MMO! Cool! Sadly, just after I got a character ready to play (a teenage were-rat!), it folded and vanished. So, when on one of my day-wasting-binges of surfing TV Tropes, I discovered THIS group, I was delighted beyond belief.

I spent a few days just reading stuff here: characters, adventure threads, lots of stuff. Then I boldly set out to make my first character! ...and alienate probably half the board in the process. :oops: Doh!

Fortunately, the problem-stuff was nothing integral to the character, so it was no big deal. Bishop's a completely new character for me. Usually, I tend to stick with a few archtypes / concepts that I've worked on over the years, but I thought I'd try something a little different.

In fact, I came up with three pretty unique concepts. At first I had my heart set on a magic-guy: a druid who, because he spent 30 years in Tir Na Nog with the Fair Folk (while no time past here, and not aging in the process), he's basically a 50 year-old "trapped" in an 18 year-old's body, trying to maintain a secret ID with old friends he really has nothing in common with anymore. I had another of a human mentalist trapped in the body of a cat. (Meh. Blatant rip-off from Darker than Black.) And then there was this one, who I wasn't really into because I hadn't come up with anything interesting for his background, and his personality and motivations I just couldn't get a handle on. All I had was his theme, name, and basic power set.

Well, my son, who had just finished his first chess tournament and did pretty well, jumped on the idea of a chess-guy. (Like that should have surprised me.) He was pretty insistent, really. So, I slept on it and came up with some nifty fluff. In fact, when the idea of his daughter came to me, that was when I was like: "aw yeah... I can roll with this!"

Eventually, I hope to introduce his daughter as an NPC. My basic thought is this: Her arch-nemesis found out her secret identity, captured her, and torched the house in an attempt to make her "disappear" from the League's radar, so s/he could.. I don't know... brainwash her or something. Anyway, she escapes and finds out what happened to her parents (but not that her father got superpowers). Blaming herself, she goes "to ground" to find and stop her nemesis. She didn't contact the League and wasn't following the news, so didn't know about her father for some time. (My earlier idea was that, while mind controlled, SHE started the fire... then realizes the horror of what she'd done... but that's just way too dark.)

So, I also have a bunch of ideas for NPC's that will probably start off as contacts for Bishop, then either become minions or full-fledged NPC's depending on the relationship. And ideas for stories... SO many ideas....

From reading threads and meeting you guys in chat, you all seem like a really cool bunch of folks that I look forward to getting to know better!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

My name's Fabio, I live in a small city north of Milan, Italy. I'm 24 and I go by doing small jobs for a couple of months at the time, while I study and travel a lot with a volunteer workers association. I like basketball, martial arts (I practice aikido) and hiking.

I'm a fan of role-playing but never really got the chance of constructing a stable group. I tried, with different people, D&D 3.5, D&D 4ed, Pathfinder, Spirit of The Century, Chtulhu d100, M&M and a couple of free-form indie, none of those for more than 5-6 session.

I've read comic books (mostly Batman and Daredevil, but sometimes others, too) up until a couple of years ago. Nowaday I wait for the trades, even if the DC reboot is tempting me. Personal favorites (in the superhero genre) include the first run of the Authority, Kingdom Come, Ultimates, Whedon's X-Men.

I look forward to play with you!

• 2 weeks later...

All hail the God-Emperor.

My real-life nickname is Legolas, or Lego for short. Almost everyone but my mother calls me that. I'm from a small city in the south of Sweden, Karlskrona. My last name, translated to English, literally means "Starleaf". I'm very much of a nerd, with the caveat that I'm possibly too social and well-liked for the nerd stereotype to stick to me. I'm new to the M&M system, and I'm trying to make sense of it all. Played a bit of D&D 3.5, and too much WoD. Lately (ca. 1 year) I've been an ardent RPG theorist and I'm liking what I'm seeing in M&M so far. I'll try to make an acceptable character soon.

Regards,

Starleaf.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody.

My name is Rodrigo and I'm from Brazil. I'm known RavnosAntitribu in ATT, and more active in the AEG Forum as Oliveira. I'm 24 years old, and play RPG since 14-15, I played (GMed most that played, actually) a lot of OWoD (mainly Vampire and Werewolf), DeD and GURPS some years ago. In the last few years I'm playing mostly L5R and M&M, and I love both systems.