Shadowborne (PL8) - Kaede Kimura

Shadowborne

Power Level: 8 Claremont (150/150PP)

Unspent Power Points: 0

Trade-Offs: None

In Brief: Celtic girl with powers linked to a shadow dimension imprisoned during fight with her nemesis, lost until recently, finding herself in an unfamiliar world.

Alternate Identity: Muirne Sceadusangere (Secret)

Birthplace: The Kingdom of Kent

Residence

Occupation

Affiliations: Ministry of Powers, Vanguard

Family: None known

Description:

Physical Age: 16

Ethnicity: Caucasian, Celtic

Height: 4'11"

Weight: 105lbs

Eyes: Green

Hair: Red

This girl looks at things that are common place in Freedom City with a mixture of apprehension and wonder. Her large eyes are a bright green and scan the world around her constantly. Her nose curves out slightly, and she has full, expressive lips. Her jaw is chiseled and ends with a slightly pointed chin. Her hair is red and flows over her small shoulders.

When she walks the world as a civilian, she wears comfortable clothes that she can move in easily, as well as comfortable shoes for walking in.

When she is out as Shadowborne she wears chainmail, although she has taken a more modern inspiration with the black bodysuit and domino mask she wears.

In both civilian and costumed life, she always carries her flashlight, even on a bright sunny day.

Example images: https://imgur.com/a/pQUFY29 *The sword is now a spear

History

Muirne was born in a quiet village in the Kingdom of Kent, and at a young age began to display her power, transforming into a monster composed of shadows and occasionally transporting herself to a dimension if darkness and cold, slowly she began to gain control over this power. The warriors of the village taught her how to fight, and her village grew proud to be raising a hero like in the legends.

Her call to adventure came at 15, when the sorcerer Dougal conquered her village, seeking to claim Kent, England and the world itself. Furious at the cruelty the mage had visited upon he people, Muirne gave herself to the shadows, seeking to destroy him. She tore through his fortress with shadowy claws, spending days hunting his retainers and guards, while he locked himself in the central tower. Finally, after all his men had abandoned the keep, she slunk into the tower, but she did not make it far before he nullified her transformation with his magic. Still, she fought him with spear and shield, before he hit her with some strange spell and everything went dark, the fate of the mage and her people unknown to her.

The world began to pass on, Dougal's ambitions had been crushed as his men abandoned him, and lost his chance, leaving to plot his return, his fate unknown. As for Muirne's people, they turned Dougal's keep into a burial ground, the tomb of their savior, where she stood resolutely for all time.

Eventually a team of archaeologists uncovered her, and her spell was broken of means unknown to both the researchers and Muirne. She found herself in a strange new world of technology and heroes. Murine's unusual return came to the attention of the Ministry of Powers and the UK superteam Vanguard, who took the teenager in to help her adjust to the modern world. After a year of learning modern English and some of the skills necessary to get by in this modern world, she began to step into the world of superheroes in preparation for going to Claremont Academy.

Personality & Motivation:

Motivation: Acceptance

Muirne does not know how to properly exist in this world, she is from a different time and struggles to understand the people around her, leaving her completely alone and isolated. She hopes that among her fellows she might find herself no longer isolated. Despite her loneliness, Muirne is generally curious and can get quite excited about new discoveries in her strange new world. She's generally confident, although due to her past she is deeply afraid of magic, and it's users.

Power & Tactics:

Muirne can draw from the shadow dimension she is bound to, morphing herself into one of the shadowbeasts that stalk the dark reality. She normally dislikes using the power, as she fears that she may lose herself to the darkness.

This power has an alternate effect she may draw upon in place of alternating her form. She may instead transport herself bodily to the shadow dimension, a parallel place to Earth Prime, but with no colour or light, stalked by shadowbeasts akin to the one she transforms into. The dimension is dangerous, as the shadowbeasts will seek to snuff out her light and warmth upon learning of her presence.

When not drawing upon these powers, Muirne fights with her spear and shield, using her proficiency with the weapon and her capability in stealth to her advantage against her foes, but if necessary she will use her shadowbeast and dimensional travel to outfight and outmaneuver her foes.

Power Descriptions:

The transformation into a shadowbeast is one of monstrous changes, turning from a small human girl into a creature that looks like it has crawled from the deepest nightmares of one afraid of the dark: A mass of shadows that writhes and lashes, staring with glowing green eyes. The transformation back from being a shadowbeast is slow, taking a few hours before Muirne is fully corporeal again, no longer trailing wisps of shadow or having to be careful lest she try using a shadowy hand for something.

For those around her, her entry to the shadow dimension is far less dramatic, she simply vanishes, then reappears at a later time, but for her it can be harrowing. In order to see, she has to bring her own source of light, and if she is unlucky, she could enter the dimension close to a shadowbeast herself, which while uncommon is dangerous to her, as she cannot hurt them, and they are invisible in the darkness.

Complications:

Phobia: Magic

Muirne is deeply afraid of magic after what Dougal has done, destroying her life and then casting her into an unfamiliar time.

Muirne panics when magic is used near her, failing all will saves while it is in use as she is too afraid to muster a mental defense. If pushed too far she might flee altogether.

Secret: Ancient

Muirne is trying to acclimate to a new world, with customs and technologies she does not know, and she is attempting it without letting her true age be known, as she is afraid of the response, whether he fear is justified or not.

Muirne will go to great lengths to keep the secret of her true age becoming widely known.

Enemy: Dougal

Dougal has also survived to the present, spending the time honing his magical arts, wanting to attempt to restart his ambitions. He knows his magic wore off on Muirne, knows her powers, knows her civilian identity and where she is.

Muirne is unaware that Dougal is alive currently. He is a magic user and she knows this. He also knows her secret age

Danger: Shadow Dimension
The Shadow Dimension is populated with shadowbeasts like the monster Muirne can transform into, and when they become aware of her presence they will attempt to snuff out the light and warmth she brings with her.

The shadowbeasts may find her at any point while she is in the Shadow Dimension. During any round while she is in the shadow dimension one might attack her.

Abilities: 2 + 8 + 8 + 4 + 8 + 10 = 40PP

Strength: 12 (+1)

Dexterity: 26/18 (+8/+4)

Constitution: 26/18 (+8/+4)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 18 (+4)

Charisma: 20 (+5)

Combat: 8 + 6 = 14PP

Initiative: +8/+4 (+8/+4 Dex)

Attack: +4, +8 Melee (+4 Base, +4 Attack Focus)

Grapple: +9 (+8 Melee Attack, +1 Strength), Immune while Insubstantial

Defense: +8 (+3 Base, +5 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback Resistance: 4/2

Saving Throws: 0 + 0 + 5 = 4PP

Toughness: +8/+8 (+8/+4 Con, +3 Chainmail, +1 Shield)

Fortitude: +8/+4 (+8/+4 Con, +0PP)

Reflex: +8/+4 (+8/+4 Dex, +0PP)

Will: +8 (+4 Wis, +4PP)

Skills: 44R = 11PP

Acrobatics 2 (+10/+6)

Bluff 0 (+5, +9 Attractive)

Climb 4 (+5)

Concentration 4 (+8)

Diplomacy 0 (+5, +9 Attractive)

Handle Animal 1 (+6)

Intimidation 0 (+18/+5)

Languages 1 (English, Old English [Native])

Medicine 1 (+5)

Notice 6 (+10)

Perform (Sing) 5 (+10)

Perform (Dance) 5 (+10)

Search 8 (+10)

Sense Motive 5 (+9)

Stealth 1 (+20/+5)

Survival 1 (+5)

Feats: 19PP

Attack Focus (Melee) 4

Attractive

Distract (Intimidation)

Dodge Focus 5

Equipment 2

Hide in Plain Sight

Luck 2

Startle

Takedown Attack

Track

Enhanced: Evasion 2

Equipment 2: 10EP

Spear: Damage 3 (Feats: Improved Critical [19-20], Mighty, Thrown [5 10ft Range Increments, 50ft Max Range]) [6EP]

Chainmail: Protection 3 [3EP]

Shield: Protection 1 [1EP]

Powers: 70PP

Shadow Realm Link 34 (67PP Array; Feats: Alternate Power 1} [68PP]

Base Power: [67PP]

Shadow Form 14 (70PP Container [Active: Free Action, Sustained Duration], Drawback: One-way Transformation (Frequency: Very Common; Intensity: Minor) [-3PP]) [67PP]

Enhanced Constitution 8 [8PP]

Enhanced Dexterity 8 [8PP]

Enhanced Feats 2 (Evasion 2) [2PP]

Enhanced Skills 24 (Intimidation 13, Stealth 11) [6PP]

Insubstantial 3 (Energy) [Darkness/Shadow]; Immune to Physical Damage, and Energy Damage with the "Darkness/Shadow" descriptor; Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Flaws: Permanent) [15PP]

Shadow Power 10 (20PP Array; Feats: Alternate Power 2) [22PP]

Base Power: [20PP]

Damage 7 (Extras: Affects Corporeal [8 ranks]; Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2 [Full effect], Incurable, Mighty, Variable Descriptor [Bludgeoning, Piercing, and/or Slashing Damage]) [20PP]

Alternate Power: [19PP]

Damage 8 (Extras: Alternate Save [Fortitude]; Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2, Incurable) [19PP]

Alternate Power: [16 + 4 = 20PP]

Drain Wisdom 8 (Extras: Alternate Save [Will], Area [Visual Perception], Linked [Emotion Control]) [16PP]

Emotion Control 8 (Extras: Area [Visual Perception], Linked [Drain]; Flaws: Limited [Fear], Range 2 [Touch]) [4PP]

Speed 3 (50MPH, 500ft per Move Action) [3PP]

Super-Movement 3 (Wall-Crawling 2 [Full Speed; Not Flat-Footed]; Water-Walking) [6PP]

Alternate Power: [2PP]

Super-Movement 1 (Dimensional Movement 1 [Schattenwelt]) [2PP]

Super-Senses 2 (Darkvision) [2PP]

Drawbacks: -8PP

Vulnerability (Silver; Frequency: Uncommon; Intensity: Moderate [+50% Effect Rank]) [-2PP

Vulnerability (Fire; Frequency: Common; Intensity: Moderate [+50% Effect Rank]) [-3PP]

Vulnerability (Light; Frequency: Common; Intensity: Moderate [+50% Effect Rank]) [-3PP]

DC Block

ATTACK          RANGE              SAVE                     EFFECT

Unarmed         Touch              DC16 Toughness (Staged)  Damage (Physical)

Spear           Touch/Thrown       DC19 Toughness (Staged)  Damage (Physical)

Fear            Touch/Area         DC18 Will (Staged)       Drain Wisdom

Shaken/Frightened/Panicked

Life Drain      Touch              DC23 Fortitude (Staged)  Damage (Energy)

Shadow Weapons  Touch              DC23 Toughness (Staged)  Damage (Energy)

Totals: Abilities (40) + Combat (14) + Saving Throws (4) + Skills (11) + Feats (19) + Powers (70) - Drawbacks (8) = 150/150 Power Points

Edited by Kaede Kimura
Misunderstandings and reworking

Hello Kaede Kimura, welcome to the site!

Looking things over, I think Muirne needs a bit of rework, so I have moved things over to the Character Building forum for them to get hammered out.

First, regarding the fluff, looks good and no true “issues,” though there are some considerations you might want to consider.

It is not too uncommon for there to be refugees from other dimensions, planets or even other times. As such, there are a number of supports in place that can help those such as Muirne. For one, the Freedom League has programs to help provide some support. So, while I can understand the interest in the Struggling Complication, there are ways she could have at least have a comfortable amount of funds.

In addition, given she awoke in the present day UK, it is very likely she came to the attention of the Ministry of Powers and the superteam Vanguard, which is the main UK superteam (of which one of my PCs is a member). So, might be something to consider working into your background, as they could have helped Muirne in the initial adjustment to life in the modern world and helped get her connected with Claremont. Happy to talk about that more if you like.

As to the mechanics. There are a number of things, but the first and biggest, is we recently put in place a rule that Claremont characters start out as PL 8. So Murine could be PL 8 and built on 150 PP (thus using one of your PL 10 character slots with the full 150 PP budget, just built to a lower PL). So this is likely to have some impact on the other issues.

For her Stats, they are fine, but you probably want to move away from the odd numbers for Int and Wis as they add nothing and there are better use for those points.

I think there needs to be some work on your combat stats, as from what I can see (and it is not entirely clear), it does not appear Muirne is meeting combat caps. This might work itself out with the need to reduce her to PL 8 for Claremont, but I still need more information. Like what does her Plate Mail add to her toughness? That should be listed in the Toughness save, like: Toughness: +6 (+1 Con, +2 Defensive Roll, +3 Plate Mail), or whatever it is.

For Feats, one rank of Attractive should be plenty. That feat does not determine how attractive a character is, it is just flawed ranks of Diplomacy/Bluff, and can cause problems will skill caps. So I would drop it to one rank.

For the Equipment, she likely does not need the mulitool or flashlight to be purchased. For the “communicator” we have house rules over equipment that is used for communication devices. If she wants something that is basically a cellphone, that cannot be used in combat, then that is free, no EP cost. If she wants something a bit more, it has to be bought as the Communication power in a piece of equipment (see my character Velocity below and her Freedom League communicator).

As for the sword and plate mail, we need to know what they do. But I would also suggest not having them as equipment but perhaps instead devices (perhaps they became imbued with magic?) Also, not sure what the shield is providing her, so probably not something you need to pay points for, and if it does something, again maybe better as a device?

For the Shadowbeast form, I think there needs to be some significant rework on this as well, at the moment I do not quite have some time to dive into that one, but wanted to get the conversation started on all the above at least.

Okay, I didn't realize it had been shifted and thought I'd just stuffed up and so I reposted it into character bank, so maybe delete the repost. I'll edit the sheet to reflect what you were pointing out and double check the power level things. The sword, shield and armour were just the bog standard from the equipment section, I'll add a note of that next to them, and if you think they should be devices I'll change that up. As it stands I was not planning on making her gear magical due to her complication. I was unaware that the UK had things like that in place, so I'll change some things like the impoverished complication, and I'll keep the edit for attractiveness in mind.

Regarding the Shadowbeast form, I'm not sure what needs reworking, so I'll just leave it untouched.

Cheers for the reply.

Sorry I did not get a message to you about me moving the sheet quicker.

With regard to the sword/shield/armor, the thing about equipment is that a GM can mess with them (ie break them or something) at any time and you would not earn a hero point for that set back. Even if you do not make them truly unusual (ie magic) it may still be worth it to make them Devices, just to avoid that possibility. Costs a bit more, but could be worth it.

Also, re: the second post in the character bank. Just copy the sheet back over to here to work on. Once you do I can lock the other post in the bank and unlock when we hammer more things out and you are ready to copy over the updated character sheet.

Okay, the edits have been made. I recalculated PP to make sure that it was still 150/150. I've left the Shadowbeast Form and the backstory alone for now, because I'm not sure what needs changing on Shadowbeast, and I'm not sure how to best change up backstory to match the world.

As far as I'm aware, all the saves and bonuses are compliant with PL8

Edited by Kaede Kimura

Okay, going to split discussion between fluff and mechanics now, this will relate to the fluff.

For the changes to the background, maybe something along the lines of:

Eventually a team of archeologist uncovered her, and her spell was broken of means unknown to both the researchers and Muirne. She found herself in a strange new world of technology and heroes. Murine's unusual return came to the attention of the Ministry of Powers and the UK superteam Vanguard, who took the teenager in to help her adjust to the modern world. After a year of learning modern English and some of the skills necessary to get by in this modern world, Vanguard made arrangements for Murine to travel across the Atlantic to attend a school for super powered teenagers.

Take as much as you like or rework it some. Happy to bounce ideas on how to adjust things.

But there is another idea for your consideration. Claremont is a great part of this setting, given the high level of activity that tends to occur there. However, because our site operates under the real passage of time (ie after a year in the real world, our characters are all a year older, minus powers that make aging not a thing), Claremont is also a finite window, with PCs getting three academic years as students.

Right now, we are drawing rather close to the end of the current academic year. You are of course more than welcome to have Muirne start at Claremont as soon as she gets approved and active, but it likely she will only get involved in a handful of threads before the current academic year ends. Instead, perhaps consider have her remain in the UK until the Fall and the start of the next academic year? She could get involved in threads with Vanguard until starting Claremont in the Fall.

Will write about the mechanics issues in a bit.

In terms of fluff, the one part that sticks out to me is that a village in England during the Dark Ages would react positively to a girl who could transform into a shadow-monster. Once she'd used the power to save the village, then, sure, that might happen, but even then they might turn on her as soon as the danger passed.

In terms of crunch, Thevshi's right, she's not hitting combat caps for Power Level 8.

Simply put, you want your highest possible Attack, Damage, Defense, and Toughness Save to all be at 8.

And you can trade off between Attack and Damage if you want, and/or between Defense and Toughness. So you could do Attack 10 and Damage 6, or Defense 4 and Toughness 12, anything like that, as long as Attack+Damage and Defense+Toughness each average out to 8, your power level. That way, a GM can look at your sheet, see "Power Level 8", and know what level of shenanigans they can throw at you.

My recommendation as far as the overall build would be to make sure she hits caps when she's in her shadow-form, but leave her under-capped outside of it, and ditch the sword/shield/armor. That way, she has a reason to use her shadow form in the first place. And any museum would love to have those pieces.

Here's an alternate build I worked up. I had to make some hard choices; there was easily another 30-40PP worth of stuff I wanted to include. But I had to focus.

• I kept the high Charisma but I ditched most of the social skills, with the logic that, as a stranger in a strange land, she isn't yet accumulated fully to modern society, and as she gets more used to it (and you earn more points), she'll get her groove back and be able to sweet-talk people like she used to.
  • I ditched the Concealment effect and just gave her a sky-high Stealth score instead.
  • I ditched the Additional Limbs because she can't grapple people while Insubstantial (at least not without paying for the Affects Corporeal extra on her Strength score, which I couldn't afford), and it doesn't really do anything mechanically outside of grappling. I figured "growing a bunch of tentacles" can be part of the descriptor for the Enhanced Intimidation and Fear powers.

Power Level: 10 (Built as PL8)

Tradeoffs: None

Power Points: 150/150

ABILITIES 2 + 8 + 8 + 4 + 8 + 10 = 40PP

COMBAT 8 + 6 = 14PP

SAVING THROWS 0 + 0 + 5 = 4PP

Toughness: +8/+4 (+8/+4 Con)

SKILLS 44R = 11PP

Acrobatics 2 (+10/+6)

Climb 4 (+5)

Concentration 4 (+8)

Handle Animal 1 (+6)

Intimidation 0 (+18/+5)

Medicine 1 (+5)

Notice 6 (+10)

Perform (Sing) 5 (+10)

Perform (Dance) 5 (+10)

Search 8 (+10)

Sense Motive 5 (+9)

Stealth 1 (+20/+5)

Survival 1 (+5)

FEATS 15PP

Attack Focus (Melee) 4

Distract (Intimidation)

Dodge Focus 5

Luck 2

Startle

Takedown Attack

Track

Enhanced:

Evasion 2

POWERS 74PP

Shadow Form 14 (70PP Container [Active: Free Action, Sustained Duration]) [70PP]

Insubstantial 3 (Energy [Darkness/Shadow]; Immune to Physical Damage, and Energy Damage with the "Darkness/Shadow" descriptor; Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Flaws: Permanent) [15PP]

Damage 7 (Extras: Affects Corporeal [8 ranks]; Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2 [Full effect], Incurable, Mighty, Variable Descriptor [Bludgeoning, Piercing, and/or Slashing Damage]) [20PP]

Damage 8 (Extras: Alternate Save [Fortitude]; Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2, Incurable) [19PP]

Drain Wisdom 8 (Extras: Alternate Save [Will], Area [Visual Perception], Linked [Emotion Control]) [16PP]

Emotion Control 8 (Extras: Area [Visual Perception], Linked [Drain]; Flaws: Limited [Fear], Range 2 [Touch]) [4PP]

Super-Movement 3 (Wall-Crawling 2 [Full Speed; Not Flat-Footed]; Water-Walking) [6PP]

DRAWBACKS -8PP

Vulnerability (Fire; Frequency: Common; Intensity: Moderate [+50% Effect Rank]) [-3PP]

Vulnerability (Light; Frequency: Common; Intensity: Moderate [+50% Effect Rank]) [-3PP]

Vulnerability (Silver; Frequency: Uncommon; Intensity: Moderate [+50% Effect Rank]) [-2PP]

ATTACK          RANGE       SAVE                     EFFECT

Unarmed         Touch       DC16 Toughness (Staged)  Damage (Physical)

Fear            Touch/Area  DC18 Will (Staged)       Drain Wisdom

Life Drain      Touch       DC18 Fortitude (Staged)  Damage (Energy)

Shadow Weapons  Touch       DC23 Toughness (Staged)  Damage (Physical)

Abilities (40) + Combat (14) + Saving Throws (4) + Skills (11) + Feats (15) + Powers (74) - Drawbacks (8) = 150/150 Power Points

Edited by Grumblefloof

Power Level: 10 (Built as PL8)

Tradeoffs: None

Power Points: 150/150

ABILITIES 2 + 8 + 8 + 4 + 8 + 10 = 40PP

COMBAT 8 + 6 = 14PP

SAVING THROWS 0 + 0 + 5 = 4PP

Toughness: +8/+8 (+8/+4 Con, +3 Chainmail, +1 Shield)

SKILLS 44R = 11PP

Acrobatics 2 (+10/+6)

Climb 4 (+5)

Concentration 4 (+8)

Handle Animal 1 (+6)

Intimidation 0 (+18/+5)

Medicine 1 (+5)

Notice 6 (+10)

Perform (Sing) 5 (+10)

Perform (Dance) 5 (+10)

Search 8 (+10)

Sense Motive 5 (+9)

Stealth 1 (+20/+5)

Survival 1 (+5)

FEATS 17PP

Attack Focus (Melee) 4

Distract (Intimidation)

Dodge Focus 5

Luck 2

Startle

Takedown Attack

Track

Attractive

Hide in Plain Sight

Enhanced:

Evasion 2

Equipment 10EP = 2PP

Spear: Damage 3 (Feats: Improved Critical [19-20], Mighty, Thrown) [6EP]

Chainmail: Protection 3 [3EP]

Shield: Protection 1 [1EP]

POWERS 70PP

Shadow Realm Link 34 (67PP Array; Feats: Alternate Power 1} [68PP]

Base Power

Shadow Form 14 (70PP Container [Active: Free Action, Sustained Duration], Drawback: One-way Transformation (Frequency: Very Common; Intensity: Minor) [-3PP]) [67PP]

Insubstantial 3 (Energy [Darkness/Shadow]; Immune to Physical Damage, and Energy Damage with the "Darkness/Shadow" descriptor; Extras: Duration [Continuous]; Flaws: Permanent) [15PP]

Alternate Power

DRAWBACKS -8PP

Vulnerability (Silver; Frequency: Uncommon; Intensity: Moderate [+50% Effect Rank]) [-2PP

ATTACK          RANGE       SAVE                     EFFECT

Unarmed         Touch       DC16 Toughness (Staged)  Damage (Physical)

Spear           Touch       DC19 Toughness (Staged)  Damage (Physical)

Fear            Touch/Area  DC18 Will (Staged)       Drain Wisdom

Life Drain      Touch       DC18 Fortitude (Staged)  Damage (Energy)

Shadow Weapons  Touch       DC23 Toughness (Staged)  Damage (Energy)

Abilities (40) + Combat (14) + Saving Throws (4) + Skills (11) + Feats (17) + Equipment (2) + Powers (70) - Drawbacks (8) = 150/150 Power Points

Edited by Kaede Kimura
Rules clarifications and edits