Deep Runs The Dreadnaut (IC)

Amelia

Woodsman knelt down on the deck of the police boat and went to work. "Someone should get on the radio," he offered. From underneath his poncho, he removed a large black sphere about the size of a football and began unscrewing the top. "Get out a message to the Dreadnaut. Tell him we've deactivated his devices. Lie." He looked up from his work at Sagrado Corazon, his face invisible behind the goggles he wore over his mask. "You could do it. Make him think anything." He cracked open the magazine of his crossbow (which he seemed to be able to do absolutely silently) and removed several bolts, which he began affixing to the sphere. "Gonna block his signal.

"Some kind of mine, about a meter around, metallic, shot out of the water right in front of them." the young latino hero explained to Persephone.  Looking up at the crew still on deck Sagrado Corazon nodded agreement with the plant controller, "He'll face justice."  he assured Betsy and spoke over the din of the ongoing rescue his voice taking on an even more resonant tone for a moment, "You can trust Persephone, She only wants what's best for you and your crewmates."  he shouted up to the balking crew the Voice nudging them to follow the municipal defenders suggestions.

"It doesn't work that way."  he intoned with some uncertainty in his voice.  "I don't know if it even would carry over the radio and if it did and everyone who heard thought it was clear and started out into the aby again?"  he shuddered at the thought of all those gathered on the shore meeting the same fate as those aboard the Disco Volante "If I knew who or where he was maybe but..."  Sagrado Corazon shook his head, "Too risky."

"Just meant on the radio," said Woodsman softly. "You can talk so he'll hear you, I bet." He sighed, then sat back up, looking at the others. "I can block the signal so he can't _see_ the mines, but it won't last forever." He didn't worry about getting the crew to evacuate; short of getting up there and telling them to get the hell off the ship before he punched them in the dicks, that wasn't really his role on the team. "Hm. Can get one of the mines," he suggested. "Make it look like mechanical failure." 

The Immutable Betsy Brooks

Apart from a few beach side meetings, and maybe the odd holiday, she didn’t really have much dealings with the sea. The only drink she like to drown in normally had alcohol and maybe the odd ice-cubes, but never an umbrella. But with what she’s seen so far this all had to do with what was going on down in the bay.

Look futzing around with the radio is all well and good, but I think we need to go take a look under the water. Do we have any way to take a look under da sea?”

Her poor ‘fro wasn’t going to like all this she could tell already, but the sacrfices we make to make things right.

• 2 weeks later...

Persephone

With a subtle hand gesture from the green woman, a column of seaweed braided itself together and lifted her up onto the deck of the Elizabeth Dane. "Please, y'all have to let us evacuate this ship. We know it's not sinking anymore, but it isn't near out of danger either. More of those ties could snap free at any moment, especially with the boat still leaning all off-kilter like this. With all these crates sliding around willy-nilly, it's the world's biggest game of bumper cars, only without the bumpers. And we put out the fire, but another one could start up anytime. I know y'all have a lot of money wrapped up in all this stuff, but it's just that, money and stuff. It can be replaced. You can't be replaced. I'm sure y'all got loved ones who'd give every penny they have and everything on this boat ten times over to get you back safe and sound." She gestured toward the massive bed of kelp floating next to the ship. "I know it doesn't look like much, but at least it's safe. There's mines in the water and we already lost one boat and the ten souls that were on it. We can't lose any more."

CHEVAL

"C'mon, everyone! Listen to the pretty flower lady! We're official Vibora Bay Defenders, we know what we're doing here!" Marcus moved through the ship, guiding towards Persephone's kelp boat and generally trying to help and convince everyone to get out of the way. Whatever was out there in the water, it was only going to get worse. "Everyone, hurry. We promise to keep you safe. The ship's too big to get safely out of here. Whatever you're leaving behind, its not nearly as important as you!"

Whoever was doing this, they had to be out there, right? How far could the range be on those weapons? 

And why the hell did Vibora Bay not have some aguatic hero hanging around for situations like this?