Valkyrie - PL 11 - Cosmicarus

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, fair points all.

I really don't want to make an un-balancing character. That wouldn't be cool. No-one would want to play with me! :P That said, she's a brick, no doubt about it. I just wish there was a way that, when I take damage, I roll a will save instead of a toughness save. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it and should just make the toughness save as normal and have the rest as flavour text... makes a lot more sense, no?

Hmmm, fair points all.

I really don't want to make an un-balancing character. That wouldn't be cool. No-one would want to play with me! :P That said, she's a brick, no doubt about it. I just wish there was a way that, when I take damage, I roll a will save instead of a toughness save. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about it and should just make the toughness save as normal and have the rest as flavour text... makes a lot more sense, no?

Hmmm, fair points all.

Changing Toughness saves into Will saves is a little wonky, but I had an idea which could help give you the flavor that you're looking for without impacting the rest of the system. Here's a custom feat (or Feature, if you wanted to call it a power; either way, it'd be 1 pp).

Feat:

Strength of Will

You can draw upon your inner strength to tough through even powerful blows.

Effect: Instead of adding your Constitution modifier to your Toughness save, add your Wisdom modifer. You are still subject to the standard PL limits for your Toughness save, including any applicable tradeoffs.

It keeps an attribute affecting two saves (Toughness and Will instead of Toughness and Fortitude), has a clear interaction with powers like Protection, and the slight advantage of getting a better modifier on a few skills that have Wisdom as the key modifier (while no skills have Constitution) is balanced out by not getting a bonus on recovery checks.

Changing Toughness saves into Will saves is a little wonky, but I had an idea which could help give you the flavor that you're looking for without impacting the rest of the system. Here's a custom feat (or Feature, if you wanted to call it a power; either way, it'd be 1 pp).

Feat:

Strength of Will

Effect: Instead of adding your Constitution modifier to your Toughness save, add your Wisdom modifer. You are still subject to the standard PL limits for your Toughness save, including any applicable tradeoffs.

It keeps an attribute affecting two saves (Toughness and Will instead of Toughness and Fortitude), has a clear interaction with powers like Protection, and the slight advantage of getting a better modifier on a few skills that have Wisdom as the key modifier (while no skills have Constitution) is balanced out by not getting a bonus on recovery checks.

Feat:

Strength of Will

Ok, new thought! (thanks again for your help)

Regeneration [recovery bonus] 7

7 points spent

Regeneration [recovery rate]

All to standard actions (bruised 2, unconscious 2, injured 5, staggered 5, disabled 7, ability 7)

FLAW: Check required [will] (-1)

15 points spent

Enhanced Strength 10

EXTRA: Penetrating (+1)

FEAT: Affects insubstantial

21 points spent

Is this kosher?

7 points spent

All to standard actions (bruised 2, unconscious 2, injured 5, staggered 5, disabled 7, ability 7)

15 points spent

Enhanced Strength 10

21 points spent

Is this kosher?

7 points spent

15 points spent

Enhanced Strength 10

21 points spent

Is this kosher?

If this were an in-person game of M&M, I wouldn't allow this, because it means that you're rolling twice as many dice to get just about anything done. As it stands, what I see there is legal from a mechanical perspective, and if you want to have your power fail half of the time, I won't stop you. I just advise against it.

If this were an in-person game of M&M, I wouldn't allow this, because it means that you're rolling twice as many dice to get just about anything done. As it stands, what I see there is legal from a mechanical perspective, and if you want to have your power fail half of the time, I won't stop you. I just advise against it.

...and if you want to have your power fail half of the time, I won't stop you. I just advise against it.

:oops: I don't want that either. I'm just a bit worried about making it easier on myself, as that may make the character unbalancing. It's why I bought the 'Second Chance' feats, though those, in themselves, may make my character to powerful... is this correct?

...and if you want to have your power fail half of the time, I won't stop you. I just advise against it.

:oops: I don't want that either. I'm just a bit worried about making it easier on myself, as that may make the character unbalancing. It's why I bought the 'Second Chance' feats, though those, in themselves, may make my character to powerful... is this correct?

Second Chance on a particular Will save increases the probability from 50% to 75%, assuming you're powering something at your PL. I was overstating the difficulty of Regeneration; they're all below 10 ranks, and some of the Will saves are almost trivial (like Bruised). But it'll sting each time you succeed at hitting someone, then fail your Will saves to have your Enhanced Strength apply.

To me, it doesn't seem like you want your character to be pretty much base human when she can't get her Will on. I'd think about using partial flaws so that with an extra bit of effort (and a Will save), she goes from super-human to OMGKaboom.

Second Chance on a particular Will save increases the probability from 50% to 75%, assuming you're powering something at your PL. I was overstating the difficulty of Regeneration; they're all below 10 ranks, and some of the Will saves are almost trivial (like Bruised). But it'll sting each time you succeed at hitting someone, then fail your Will saves to have your Enhanced Strength apply.

To me, it doesn't seem like you want your character to be pretty much base human when she can't get her Will on. I'd think about using partial flaws so that with an extra bit of effort (and a Will save), she goes from super-human to OMGKaboom.

Your use of OMGKaboom amuses me :)

And you are right, that is what I want. Hmm - give me a little while. I'm at work at the moment so I may have to have another look again. Thanks for your patience, I didn't expect this much extra work.

Your use of OMGKaboom amuses me :)

And you are right, that is what I want. Hmm - give me a little while. I'm at work at the moment so I may have to have another look again. Thanks for your patience, I didn't expect this much extra work.