"A tideland?" Leroy's jaw dropped. "You...lady Storm, I would count that an honour beyond all reckoning. Of course, if you are so kind to offer, we shall use that for our base of operations."

"Beaumont," he added, inclining his head to the telepath, "usually I would agree. This time, I beg your permission for a breach of convention. Mustafic-Markov, you need trust, responsibility. You will flourish in this role, rather than as an outsider receiving instruction. Your path, I believe, is towards that of a central, unifying woman. Night needs our support as well, but as our equal and friend, not as someone who stands above us. In time, I hope, you will learn to see the strengths in each other, but as rivals for unofficial leadership you would only tear each other down, and us with you."

He shook his head, his hair bouncing and swirling in graceful golden-black arcs. "I am a weak and foolish boy, and know little of the world. But that is the way it seems to me."

Glancing at the clock he added "Should we adjourn? I expect we are all busy to-day. Beaumont, would you join me afterwards? I have a favour to ask."

Edited by Ari
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lulu rolled her eyes at Leroy's determination to make Mia squad leader, but recognized that part of her resistance to the idea might have come from her own desire to lead Orange Squad.  Maybe it was best to let this one go? Mia could speak for herself, after all. 

In response to the Earth-2 prince's request of a moment of her time, she shrugged offhandly "Uh, sure! Ah've got time."

Bidding a cheerful farewell to the rest of the little band, Leroy led Louise to a hallway, where he faced her solemnly.

"Beaumont, let us be frank: I cannot keep secrets unless I do not know them. Both of us know the secrets of two fellow students, which must remain unknown lest they be imperiled. I am the weak link in this chain and you, Beaumont, are ably suited to ensuring my breaking does no hurt.

"Our minds are built on connections. I ask that you, over whatever time it takes, tie this shared secret to one that will, under the sligtest strain, collapse and take everything bound to it into oblivion.

"I ask much of you, I know, yet I know this is within your power and your skill. And that it is the right and best thing to do."

At first Lulu looked confused, then she went to concerned and finally horrified. She squeezed her eyes shut, shook her head and held up her hands.

"Wait wait wait! You want me to what, set up a triggered mind wipe in your brain, that will erase your knowledge of the Smith sisters' secrets?"

Her eyes snapped open as she leaned in close to the love struck boy.

"Is that what your askin'? Because that s### is terrifyin', hon! What if ah screw up, and erase your childhood or somethin'?"

Leroy nodded. "Yes, that is what I would ask of you and those are the attendant risks. Every surgery is fraught with such, yet if done correctly the patient is healthier and a greater danger is averted."

For a moment he looked down at her, and Louise felt the same faint unease in him he always exuded whenever he was taller than someone. More important, he seemed to genuinely struggle with his words. 

"You...Beaumont, it would be a sin to lie: you think little of me. That I am weak, foolish. There we are in accord. My childhood...what is that? Who I was before, that was foam upon a wave that is now long past. Since we met, Judy has...she has made me better. Shown me how to be worthy. Shown me what strength is! All of you have. It is to be cherished a thousand times over a life of meaningless, futile, jejune escapades."

His handsome face clouded "And daily I grow to wonder if it happened at all. Your memories, some are sharp, some are dull, they are trace'd about emotional and sensory impacts. I have listened, and know this to be true. They are jagged things. Mine are smooth, precise, like nails. Beaumont, there are hours when all that existed seems a meticulous fiction, and the slightest brush with reality introduces a maze of contradictions leading everywhere but to where my mind will follow!"

He took a breath, squared himself. His bright, charming smile returned, his golden eyes sparkling.

"You are worthy of this trust. If you accept it, I will be grateful. If you refuse and counsel otherwise, I shall bow to your wisdom in these matters."

Edited by Ari

Lulu winced as Leroy spoke so plainly, and he was right: all too often she'd dismissed him as a buffoon or pretty boy, which was really unfair. He really had changed a lot since coming to Claremont and meeting Judy. He might be naive and prone to flights of misguided gallantry, but it was clear he had a big heart and was truly devoted to his betrothed. She reached out and took both of his hands in hers, and there were tears in her eyes.

"Leroy, ah...first of all, ah owe you an apology. You are an amazing young man, and Judy's lucky to have to you. Ah'm sorry ah treat you like a dumbass all the time."

Then she took a deep breath and shook her head.

"But what you're askin' right now? Well that's just plain stupid. Judy's the reason you've become a better man, you big dummy! Why on Earth would ah risk undoin' all that progress? Judy might seem like a simple girl sometimes, like someone you need to protect, but her and her sister are both certified badasses who can take care of themselves."

And then she reached up, put a hand on his cheek and smiled.

"And besides, ah trust you. You have the biggest, strongest heart of any man ah've ever met, and ah trust your love for Judy is strong enough to keep you both safe."

The redhead telepath crossed her arms and nodded.

"So my answer is 'f### no', in the most lovin' way possible. You hear?"

Edited by Heritage

"You know best, of course," Leroy admitted with a sigh, "yet there must be some way I can be less of a liability. If you would instruct me in how to resist such powers as yours, to attain greater mental toughness, I would be set much at ease."

Glancing down the hallways, he added "And...well, sometimes we have...problems. Many of the customs here are opaque or assumed, so I must contend not only with my ignorance of what a woman expects from a man here, but the absence of warnings that such gaps exist. I have tried to educate myself, but the going is slow and the direction frequently murky."

He frowned  "And please, never apologize to me. You based your impressions on what I said and did. These impressions were, at the time, wholly accurate." Leroy inclined his head politely. "Is there anything you would have of me, Beaumont?"