The Lioness of Dakana

Tiffany Korta

Ranger Station 5

Tsavo National Park, Kenya

27th January 2020, 9am EAT

It was rainy and overcast over the Savannah but it was still going to be a hot, humid day. As the animals and tourists began there days. Most of the Ranger Stations, that were being used, were still opening up but not Station Five which was active even this early in the day. Which was weird because it wasn’t usually used for the reason that trouble very rarely came from the border it was close to, probably one of the safest borders in the entire region.

This was the reason that Chief Ranger was nervous because someone very import from that very country had arrived, to help them with there problem.

I’ve never met a real princess before!”

White Lioness

Please call me Àjàṣorò I’m here to work alongside you after all.”

Despite feeling tired, it was still around 1am back at Claremont, she managed a friendly smile. A few days ago the Kenyan government had contacted Dakana to ask for there aid, apparently, poacher had been kidnapping animals by driving them across the border into her country. Why she wasn’t quite sure yet apart from the obvious that the Rangers here couldn’t or more likely wouldn't risk crossing the border. Things might be getting more open between Dakana and the rest of the world, but they weren’t quite at that level yet.

I hope you don’t mind but I asked some friends of mine to come and help us out, they have some unique experience in these matters.”

Mamba had been the one that Àjàṣorò had asked for, but he was off on a trip to the moon of all places! And so they Auxiliary had contacted someone from WEST who had put them in touch with Delta, and so it was that an emergency airdrop from a few thousand feet up resulted in Delta dropping down towards the Kenyan/Dakani border. The half man, half robot hurtled towards the ground, no signs of a parachute only the slow glow of the circular heat diffuser on his back burning a lovely cherry red.

Several hundred feet above the ground his green and brown camouflage armor contrasting with the black and red of his implants and then he started to shift. One moment he was hurtling towards the ground the next he tapped his belt and in a flash of light he was standing there next to the pair, his insect like cybernetic eyes irising open as they took in the guard and the ranger,"Greetings. I am Delta, the Auxiliary has asked me to step in for someone called Black Mamba, he is currently on assignment to the moon...strange....but I am here and ready to assist. You are the White Lioness?"

• 3 weeks later...

White Lioness

“As I said to him Àjàṣorò is fine for now, we’re all equals here after all.”

She walked around the fellow hero examining him, with so many new heroes coming and going it was always difficult to keep track of them all.

Well your not what I ordered but you’ll do.” she smiled at Delta “But you’ll more than do! What do you know about the situation here?”

She trusted that they would have briefed him in some ways, but it never hurt to check and it’d give her a chance to size the other hero up.

Delta's head turned, diodes flashing across his head as he nodded,"Yes, Àjàṣorò, I will remember that." He watched as she walked around him, his eyes swiveling a little to keep sight of her a smile curving up the small part of his face that was still humanoid and he nodded,"I didn't get a lot but people are poaching animals and forcing them across the Dakanai border. The rangers don't dare follow because the borders are not open, the poacher is either someone of Dakani descent and thinks they will be fine, or someone who is very, very brave and risking the wrath of the protectors of the Dakani border."

There was a low buzz as he calculated something,"Or someone strong enough they think they can take on the Dakani protections without risk." None of those were really very attractive options,"What is your countries opinion on what they want done with the poachers?"

• 2 weeks later...

White Lioness

It was tempting for a minute for Àjàṣorò to say something facetious, but she decided to go fro the truth this time

We’re not some secret aggressive nations, not any more at least. Anyone caught crossing the border is returned to correct authorities. We cooperate with all sensible neighbours.”

She thought about the situation for a few minutes before adding.

I think that someone is doing this to attract our attention for some reason, for what reason we’ll have to find out when we find them.”

• 2 weeks later...

Delta's lips turned down in what would be an obvious frown if it wasn't for the fact that his upper face didn't change much,"Oh, and do you have a means to find them? I have some drones that can search the area near us if you want, or did you have some way of tracking them yourself?"

The cyborg was being deferential to the White Lioness, this was her country and her mission, but he wasn't about to not offer up his abilities if they would help.

White Lioness

I cannot reveal all of our method obviously, but they may have found a way to circumvent our measures. Whilst the wildlife is the main concerns figuring out how they are doing so is most definitely a second.”

She looked at a map of the area and figured out the best option to start, appreciate the irony that she was leading people probably twice her age as if she was the most experienced.

Not a terrible way to start our investigation, we made need to discuss what happens with the data though. National security and all I’m afraid.”

• 2 weeks later...

Delta held out his hand and a set of drones slid from his belt to coil around his hand, circling it lazily as they flickered from view, their black and red surfaces cloaking even as they scanned his face, latching onto the eyes to determine their instructions, red beams rising up and down his bug like eyes as he thought for a moment about her question,"I won't broadcast them, but I have a computer for a brain, mostly, I don't forget the things I see.....what is it you're worried will happen?"

He shifted slightly to bring his face around to look at the Lioness,"I don't need to scan anything if you don't want, it's your home. I just want to help but if you're going to be worried about my intentions that is going to be a problem no matter what."

• 2 weeks later...

White Lioness

With the simple smile of someone that was much a diplomat as she was a superhero White Lioness was all charm as she dealt with her new ally.

If I didn’t trust you to be discrete I wouldn’t ask to get involved, and besides you can save us hours of traipsing around the bush however pretty it may be.”

She waved a hand over the sleeve of the suit bringing up a small holographic map of the area, built up by local satalites from both sides it was as accurate as it could be.

In fact I’d like to sync your drones up to the suit, so we can keep track of things in real time.”