Squire Kath'lana

Kath'lana showed no sign of being offended by Kanemu's eating habits. She had spent the last several years among beings from dozens of different worlds with a wide range of habits. However, she did wince ever so slightly as the Fryxus made his offer, but thankfully Bliss interjected, allowing the Squire to remained focused on the problem they had all been summoned to assist with.

The F'terrix studied the map as she listened to Bliss' follow up questions. "The Xuli'pan raises valid points." The Squire then added, looking over to Sitara, before starting on some questions of her own. "Do we know if they have any hostages?"

"If not, is there a reason we need to assault them here? If they are raiders, at some point they will come out to raid, and we can intercept them in route, when they will be more vulnerable."

As the details of the situation were revealed Jolan sat back pensively, the tactical realm was not his area of expertise he was more focused on the dynamics of the group as they discussed the situation.  Fa'Rua however sat up as the display lit the table, "Hitting them when they're out of the base means predicting where they are going."  she glanced to Jolan for a fraction of a second at that, "Which is uncertain at best."  she pointed out with a shrug, "Plus all they have to do is retreat when we show up, they're raiders because they don't stick around when their victims can put up a fight."

"I can myself and another, maybe two, past the wall."  she offered quietly as she studied the layout, "They have anti-air?  We could come in on my ship or drop in with flight packs."  The latter of course would mean fighting out in the open upon landing, not the optimal solution if one was not looking for a death in battle like the Fryxian.  "If we get one or two in to infiltrate and take down defenses we might be able to attack from the air."  She looked a bit green at Kanemu's offer  and shook her head as B'Ka replied with interest, "Well there's an image I won't be able to get out of my head."  she murmured in distress.

Dirge

Dirge's eyes widened for a moment at Bliss's taunts. But then he laughed, and elbowed B'ka's. "You SEE, Cousin? The squid-waif KNOWS, even if we are gentle, even WITH the bionic enhancements I can see as CLEARLY as the COLOR of MY OWN WOOL, that she is too FRAGILE to take part in our rutting without risk of SEVERE injury. But she has A WARRIOR'S PRIDE, so she HIDES her shame behind BRAVADO! A less SEASONED warrior, one lacking my CUNNING INSTINCTS, would be FOOLED by her ruse, mayhap even LURED into A DUEL! Instead, I merely REJOICE that A WARRIOR'S HONOR no longer COMPELS me to copulate with some HAIRLESS EGG-HATCHED FEATHERWEIGHT. And DESPITE her FEEBLE INSULTS, she earns another measure of my RESPECT, for it is what I would do in her stead."

"But the squid-waif asks good questions. ARE there HOSTAGES held captive inside this fortress? Is there BOOTY to be recovered? If NOT, then I could simply crash a few ships into it from orbit, or an asteroid if there are any nearby, and be DONE with it. I...may need help with the math. To make sure I don't use something large enough to trigger an extinction-level impact. Or, if you prefer SUBTLETY, then assuming there was sufficient metal involved in the construction of this fortress, I could simply tear it free from the mountain and throw IT into orbit. Either way, the problem is solved."

The Traveller

The walls of the compound are about four thousand years old from a race now lost, that I have some connect with, it why I was in the area in the first place. As for those hauled up here...”

She zoomed an area that was clear but signs that craft had landed she moved the image back to show a military lander there only a few days ago.

They’ve not left the compound and have bought in troops at least once maybe twice with a mix of equipment.”

Manipulating the image again showing picked out images of some of the troops in various armors and weapons throughout the local powers. Finally she bought up an images of the landed craft a well armed assault craft.

That’s a Khanate D’horn type Assault craft, still cutting edge. These aren’t just raiders it’s small army I suspect are planning to take over the supply of Tepeyoite. So it’s seven against an aemy how we feeling now?”

Squire Kath’'ana

Kath'lana nodded slightly, seeing the logic to the points Fa'Rua brought up regarding trying to hit them while they were outside the fortress. The Star Squire then glanced back at Dirge as he made a great boast about ways he could possibly end the threat. She then considered the additional information from Sitara.

"B'ka and I are already committed to stopping this threat, additional numbers does not really change that"” She paused a moment, then looked back to Dirge. "If you are capable of moving as much metal as you claim, could you not use that power to remove any weapons and spacecraft they have in there? That should make it safer to go in to subdue them."

Bliss was physically incapable of rolling her eyes, her inner eyelids closed for a moment, and her nostril slits closed up for a moment, the rattling click in her throat was a sign of her annoyance. "I faced the Communion with worse odds Praetorian. I am cast out of my people never to return. My allies and friends vanished to the void. All hills looks like a good place for me to mount my monument. Provided that furry one is buried far enough away for his fetid stench from washing over and desecrating my final stand."

However once she addressed Traveller, she turned her head towards the Fryxian, there was a moment she was about to say something.  The weight of it clear, as the markings on her skin shifted, the sign of her agitation.  "Pray to whatever dead gods you have, Fry'xian, just stand in front of me and serve your best purpose.  Drawing fire." She then trailed off into rasping clicks.

B'Ka coughed politely through his nose. "Squire Kath'lana brings up a flowery good point. We're...these are evil people, but we shouldn't really kill 'em if we don't have to. 'Specially if they're Khanate, I mean...if this is some kind of secret plan by the Star Khan, they might know somethin'. Maybe there's more raids like this goin' on and we just dunno about it."

Shuffling and shifting in his seat, which creaked alarmingly at every move, the bull-headed Star Squire pointed at Kanemu. "If you an' me an' Bliss just go up to the gate and start makin' a ruckus, Squire 'lana and the rest of the sneaky people can sneak in an'...I dunno, actually, what they would do." Propping his head up on two powerful fists, B'Ka leaned on the tabel and visibly tried to work out a plan for their side. An effort obviously doomed ti failure before it was begun.

"Deserters."  Fa'Rua spat with some genuine disgust.  "Someone wishes to carve a private barony out of these miners livelihoods."   She looked across to Sitara, "The Khante isn't in any more of a position to lay claim to neutral space than the Republic, it's not a play for expansion, only question is who's in charge?"

She examined the layout for a moment longer and shrugged, "A distraction isn't a bad play, pull guards toward the walls and a small team might get on board the D'horn and with luck take it out of commission."  she looked at the star knight who'd suggested such a plan, "But the distraction would have to hold out against the firepower they bring to bear."  

"And a potent assault might be met with engaging the strike craft."  Jolan pointed out carefully as he finally spoke up, "Regardless of tactics the chances of all making out intact are minimal."  He revealed artfully, "But if such a cost is to be paid it must be for success not failure."

The Traveller

Sitara examined the holo as she listened to the other suggest various options, the Lor and the one Star Knight were more cautious whilst Dirge had an almost suicidal need for a glorious battle, taking along B’ka with him. She’d seen similar among warrior cultures, especially those that were in a similar situation. It was noble, if not stupid, and she admire him in some ways for all his bluster. But she’d not lose anyone on this mission, if she could help it.

The D’horn has twine belly mounted blasters that would cause carnage if they open up and even a fool doesn’t fight in a burning house. But a two pronged attack isn’t a terrible idea, but I’ll have to ask you to two to show a little stealth to begin with.” she looked at Dirge knowing he was the one she’d have to convince.

With an experience from thousands, if not millions, of conflicts she had figured one of the better tactics to gain an advantage.

Okay I suggest we attack at night, Dirge and B’ka will sneak to the gate and take out the guards… quietly. Then take down the ship, if you can take control of the cannon more the better if not then a big boom. Rest of us can scale the wall and drop down to cause a ruckus, if they have an independent power source we can take out more the better. If anyone has any more suggestions I’m open to hear it.”

Fa'Rua nodded at the suggested plan, it was a good one, particularly if they coordinated just right.  "Do we know what the guard rotation in the ship is?  How many guys they keep on board?"  She asked carefully.  "I can drop me and, "  she glanced at B'Ka and Dirge, "One of the more reasonably sized on board."  which meant if they could take out the sentries they could take the ship.  "If any of you can slice through Khanate military grade security we might even turn the security system on the sentries."  she shrugged, "Wouldn't take too much to have the system update the list of deserters and mutineers to a more recent copy."

Jolan frowned at his sisters suggestion, in no small part because it was suicide to drop inside the ship if there were too many sentries on board or if the internal security protocols were intact and not hotwired to prevent noticing the mutiny that doubtless led to it being here.  "Are we certain splitting so many ways would be wise?"

"I think so, Prophet. Judging by Hemawit Traveller's, uh, glow art." B'Ka scratched his fuzzy muzzle, looking closely at the map, his huge dark eyes reflecting the harsh light "If we're in packs we can keep track of the Khan'rats, if we're in a herd they might get tricky. Back at Hapis, when they'd send us calves out to scare the fielders away we had to spread out, make it seem like no matter where they went the rats'd find us stompin' and hollerin'. This is the same kinda thing. Except these guys are as big as you are an' they have guns an' defensive tech an' higher cognitive functions."

His scratching redoubled, brow furrowing. Wait is anything about this situation actually connected to that one?

"'Sides," he added quickly, "I ain't scared of 'em. We take out their biggest ways outta there, like the mountain's comin' down on 'em, they'll all run out the smaller ways to save their skins 'stead of formin' up. In the open they'll be easy pickings."

Edited by Ari

Dirge

"So it’s seven against an army, how we feeling now?"

"EXCELLENT. The more hopeless the odds, the greater the tale!"

The gulped down the remainder of his drink, and slammed his mug onto the table as a signal for the server to trade it out for another. "If you wish A DISTRACTION, I can PROVIDE a distraction. Fryxians are...CONSPICUOUS by nature. I can attempt INSTEAD to engage with STEALTH if you wish, but the SUCCESS of such an approach is UNLIKELY. Again, we are a CONSPICUOUS people. But my FIRST attack, they will NOT see coming, THAT I can GUARANTEE. My RANGE is CONSIDERABLE. Or I can wait for the Lor to teleport me inside before UNLEASHING MY MIGHT. Or I can launch my opening salvo from a distance, and THEN she can teleport me inside. I can attempt to PRESERVE the ship if you wish, or I can OBLITERATE it. I can attempt to COMMANDEER it, or I can use the ship ITSELF as a battering ram. My soul craves BATTLE. It cares not for the DETAILS."

• 2 weeks later...

The Traveller

We can scout out the area when night falls, drink up and we’ll go back to the place I’ve got here.”

She drowned her drink and waited the others to finished before leading them through a series of dome like dwellings to the one she’d rented for the stay. Floating outside was a grav-speeder that she’d won in a card game and fixed it up so it ran better than it probably did new.

Inside her place was quite roomy with most of the rain room being covered in pillows and rugs allowing many to sleep comfortably. Apart from a tucked away sonic shower and head there was a food synthesiser and a large work screen covered in what looked to be hand drawn architectural plans of the walls. To it had been added notes in a generally unrecognizable text (Sanskrit text) and a rough troop positions had been added over time. It looked like the hologram had been built from these diagrams was impressive in itself.

Get some rest, the synthesiser is half decent, we go out in a couple of hours to scout the are.”

• 2 weeks later...

B'Ka was up bright and early as dusk gathered, sitting outside and watching the pale sun work its way below the horizon of jagged, raw stone. He was naked, and smelled of Dirge's and his own dried sweat. For the first time since his arrival in the system, the Hapisian looked calm, resolute, with none of the jittery energy that had characterized him thus far.

When the rest were ready, he fell in silently with them, the brassy, hornéd helmet closing over his solemn face as he took a last look at the shrinking sliver of cold light vanishing...leaving in its wake a brilliant mass of glittering stars. To a Terran, they would have looked frozen, immobile points of light. But to a more experienced eye they had some of the waver and glimmer that made them look so alive, so full of hope and mystery. 

"They're beautiful," Squire B'Ka said, muffled and distorted through the armor's translator, "I hope we get to visit some of those someday, 'lana."

Squire Kath'lana

Once the decision had been made to retire to Traveller's dwelling, Kath'lana finished her drink as well and followed the Praetorian outside and kept to a low altitude when following after her grav-speeder. The F'terrix squire took the opportunity to get a bit of sleep before they were ready to head off to scout under the cover of darkness.

As they began to gather outside and B'Ka mentioned the starry sky above Kath'lana took a moment to glance upward as well. "We have already had opportunity to visit more than many sentients will ever see. There is still plenty of time to see many more." She replied, seemingly unconcerned about the danger they would soon face.   

Fa'Rua let out a small sigh an eyed the remains of her bottle wistfully, "Scouting run eh?"  she lamented and set it aside  though kept her current glass to sip on in the interim.  Once they arrived she poked around the room curiously and eyed the troop display with some uncertainty.  Checking her chronometer she nodded solemnly, "Yea rest is a good plan."  She agreed and settled in to doze on a corner of the couch with the ease of one who often slept upright.

Jolan nodded quiet agreement with the consensus,  "I shall retire to the out of doors until it is time to depart in that case."  he offered with calm serenity, "I shall focus on the day ahead that inspiration may be granted."  he explained and retired to the front stoop of the praetorians shelter where he neatly folded his legs beneath him to meditate while others made what preparations they had need of.

By the time the others rose Fa'Rua had already taken her leave of the shelter to make more private preparations leaning over her small communicator harsh blue light of the holo recorder casting deep shadows over her features as she spoke her piece finishing just as the others came to retrieve her, "... don't worry, I promised I'd be there for your valentines day and I always keep my promises."  her english was accented but practiced though she quickly shut the recorder and turned back to the group, "So scouting run then the main event lets roll."

Dirge

The blue-furred behemoth had been a heavy sleeper, and he did not awaken or emerge from the dome he'd shared with B'ka after so short a rest without outside assistance. He had not worn his loin cloth to sleep, and when he rose and belted it back on, he did not seem to care who did or did not see him. He absent-mindedly scratched at his own wool as he got dressed, wool which was much smoother than it had been after the previous night's ritual combing. He used the food synthesizer to create a bowl of fruit, one of the kinds that had evolved caffeinated seeds as an insecticide, and barely chewed them as he gorged himself. He was among the last of the group to assemble, his mouth still half-full of half-chewed fruits as he called out. "COMRADES! REJOICE, for DEATH and GLORY are CLOSE AT HAND! SO close I can almost TASTE them!" Tendrils of electricity danced up and down his arms as he raised his fists into the air triumphantly.

• 2 weeks later...

The Traveller

I’ve been around a long time and still I’ve only visited a fraction of those stars…” Sitara had inadvertently snuck up on the two Squires as they’d talked “Problem is they keep make new civilizations all the time! Still that's half the fun after all. It’s still time to move out, Squire B’Ka would you let our Fryxus friend know we’re ready and I’ll tell the Lor.”

She’d found the two just as Fa’Rua had finished her message, catching the language that was being use.

So you know of Earth huh? Don’t tell anyone but that’s where I’m originally from.” her English was near flawless   “Once we’re done I’d like to hear about the old planet, it’s been a… while since I visited the place. But now it’s time to move out, gather your stuff and lets get going.”

Fa'Rua looked up guardedly at the Praetorian and gave a small nod, "Small Galaxy I guess."  she replied with false bravado and with a silent summons called her brother from his meditations.  When the other Lor joined them Fa'Rua looked to Sitara and fixed her helm in place and checked her weapons, "Locked and loaded."  she reported falling back to her military training with more ease than she was entirely comfortable with.  Jolan for his part discarded the bulky outer robes of his order for the simple fitted base garments more fit for combat and infiltration.  He offered beatific smile, "We are prepared for the next steps Traveler."  Fa'rua went over her com channels in a standard pre-check and announced her and Jolans callsigns for use in what was to come.  

B'Ka hopped from from to foot, shuffling as he watched the others nervously. Kath'lana heard him muttering "Don't wreck this don't wreck this" over and over through the armorcoms, the crunch and clang of his hooved boots clattering across the unweathered stone of the Temeura II. On planets like this, sapients without soft pads on their feet welcomed any extra protection from splitting and embedding, the lack of liquid motion, heavy atmospheric pressure and the activity of other lifeforms unable to chew up and soften the surface.

Hearing the order from the leader of their little herd, the Star Squire had nodded gratefully and raced to fetch the Dirge, honestly not managing to get out much intelligible thanks to a simple inability to stop talking once he started. Luckily the gist had gotten across, and Kanemu hadn't noticed the awkward thanks wedged into the babble.

Almost vibrating with anticipation, the hornless Hapisian tested the jets of his suit. He knew he'd need them soon.