Tradeoffs: +1/-1 (Damage/Attack)

Unspent PP: 1

Characters Name: Shadow Man

Alternate Identity: Kurt Mannis & Rip

Height: 5'10''

Weight: 167 lbs

Hair: Black

Eyes: Yellow

Description: Shadow Man has the physique of a regular looking human. He differs because his body is completely black and his only facial features are a pair of yellow glowing eyes.

shadowmanyv0.jpg

History: As a crime fighter Shadow Man is virtually unknown. He has only been in existence a few times as Kurt and Rip work out their new identity. One of the first few transformations resulted in Shadow Man achieving high levels of power but it he lost control and it was the cause for his parents untimely death. Fearing another accident Shadow Man has held back his power and only wields a fraction of it. Kurt was almost sent to an orphanage when he received an invitation to Claremont Academy. It was explained to him that he would be taught how to control his powers there and that was an opportunity he could not pass up.

Complications:

Secret (Caused Parents Death)

Stats: 24pp

Str: 14 (+2)

Dex: 20 (+5)

Con: 14 (+2)

Int: 12 (+1)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 12 (+1)

Combat: 14pp

Attack: +3, +5 [Melee]

Grapple: +7

Defense: +6 (+2 flat-footed)

Knockback: -3

Initiative: +5

Saves: 14pp

Toughness: +6 (+2 Con, +4 other)

Fortitude: +8 (+4 Con, +4)

Reflex: +8 (+5 Dex, +3)

Will: +8 (+1 Wis, +7)

Skills: 12r = 3pp

Language 1 [Dark Mind]

Notice 4 [+5]

Sense Motive 3 [+4]

Stealth 4 [+9]

Feats: 4pp

Attack Focus Melee 2

Dodge Focus 2

Powers: 31pp

Protection 4 (4pp)

Corrosion 7 ((21pp)

Super-Senses 2 ( Danger Sense [Mental], Darkvision) (3pp)

Gestalt 3 (3pp)

Drawbacks: 0pp

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

Melee 17/Toughness Bludgeoning (Non-Lethal or Lethal)

Corrosion 22/Toughness Corrosion (Non-Lethal or Lethal)

Costs: Abilities (24) + Combat (14) + Saves (14) + Skills (3) + Feats (4) + Powers (31) - Drawbacks (00) = 90 / 91pp

Players Name: Reaper

Power Level: 3 (45pp)

Unspent PP: 8

Characters Name: Kurt Mannis

Alternate Identity: Shadow Man

Height: 5'10

Weight: 160 lbs

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Blue

Description: Kurt is an average looking teen.

kurtba5.jpg

History: Kurt was a regular kid until one night when a mysterious black creature came into his life. Coming home from school one day he felt like he was being watched. When he got home the feeling continued until later that night when he was getting ready for bed the creature popped out and nearly gave him a heart attack. Strangely the little creature was not frightening but rather intriguing. Quickly the little being imparted knowledge of it's mental language Dark Mind. It then explained that it was a dark matter being and that it had fled from its realm to escape death. The two became inseparable from then on even after the accident in which they combined and caused the death of his parents. Following that event was a dark time in his life. Funeral and living arrangement nightmares assailed him. During this time he was contacted by Duncan Summers who had discovered the true cause of his parents accident and had assured him that his powers could be controlled given time and experience. With his parents life insurance and Mr. Summers help Kurt was accepted into Claremont Academy.

Complications:

Secret (Caused Parents Death), Responsibility (Rip)

Tradeoffs: +1/-1 (Defense/Toughness)

Stats: 6pp

Str: 12 (+1)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 12 (+1)

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Combat: 12pp

Attack: +2

Grapple: +2

Defense: +4 (+2 flat-footed)

Knockback: -0

Initiative: +0

Saves: 9pp

Toughness: +1 (+1 Con, +0 other)

Fortitude: +2 (+1 Con, +1)

Reflex: +4 (+0 Dex, +4)

Will: +4 (+0 Wis, +4)

Skills: 20r = 4pp

Bluff 0 (+1, +9 w/ Attractive), Computer 7 [+7], Diplomacy 0 (+1, +9 w/ Attractive), Knowledge (Popular Culture, Current Events) 6 [+6], Language 1 [Dark Mind]

Feats: 2pp

Attractive 2, Benefit [Wealth] 1

Powers: 3pp

Super-Senses 1 (Communication Link [Mental] /w Rip; PFs: Subtle, Dimensional [Rip's Pocket]) (4pp)

Dimensional Pocket 1 (Rip's Pocket; Flaws: Limited [Only Hold Rip; -1] (1pp)

DC Block:

Melee 16/Toughness Bludgeoning (Non-Lethal or Lethal)

Costs: Abilities (6) + Combat (12) + Saves (9) + Skills (4) + Feats (2) + Powers (4) - Drawbacks (00) = 37pp

Players Name: Reaper

Power Level: 3 (45pp)

Unspent PP: 0

Characters Name: Rip

Alternate Identity: Shadow Man

Height: 1'6''

Weight: 7 lbs

Hair: None

Eyes: Yellow

Description: Rip is short shadowy being.

riprs3.jpg

History: Rip fled from his home realm where he would have been exterminated by Omega's armies. In a random chance of luck he happened upon Earth and his new friend Kurt. Living with Kurt Rip has enjoyed his exile and is increasingly growing attached to Kurt. Rip can hide inside Kurt which allows him to travel with Kurt anywhere virtually undetectable.

Complications:

Secret (Marked for extermination by Omega)

Tradeoffs: +1/-1 (Defense/Toughness)

Stats: 16pp

Str: 1 (-4)

Dex: 18 (+4)

Con: 14 (+2)

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 12 (+1)

Combat: 4pp

Attack: +2

Grapple: -10

Defense: +4 (+2 flat-footed)

Knockback: +1

Initiative: +4

Saves: 13pp

Toughness: +2 (+2 Con, +0 other)

Fortitude: +4 (+2 Con, +2)

Reflex: +8 (+4 Dex, +4)

Will: +8 (+1 Wis, +7)

Skills: 4r = 1pp

Notice 4 [+5]

Feats: 0pp

Powers: 10pp

Super-Senses 1 (Communication Link [Mental] /w Kurt; PFs: Subtle, Dimensional [Rip's Pocket]) (3pp)

Shrinking 8 (Extras: Duration [Continuous; +1]; Flaws: Permanent [-1]; PFs: Innate) (9pp)

DC Block:

Melee 11/Toughness Bludgeoning (Non-Lethal or Lethal)

Costs: Abilities (16) + Combat (4) + Saves (13) + Skills (1) + Feats (0) + Powers (12) - Drawbacks (00) = 45pp

It took me a couple of reads, since I don't see Gestalt very often, but it looks like everything here is in order. I have a couple questions which are more story-related than mechanical in nature.

1) Why does the Shadow Man gestalt form not understand Dark Mind when both Kurt and Rip do understand it? I am presuming that Rip's native language is Dark Mind, since Kurt's story notes that Rip taught it to him. This also means that Rip can only speak with and understand Kurt.

2) The Communication Link power only works in a single dimension. If Rip is in Kurt's Dimensional Pocket, it won't work.

3) It seems strange that the Claremont Academy would offer him a full scholarship unless he's somewhat known as a metahuman. Do they know his secret?

It took me a couple of reads, since I don't see Gestalt very often, but it looks like everything here is in order. I have a couple questions which are more story-related than mechanical in nature.

1) Why does the Shadow Man gestalt form not understand Dark Mind when both Kurt and Rip do understand it? I am presuming that Rip's native language is Dark Mind, since Kurt's story notes that Rip taught it to him. This also means that Rip can only speak with and understand Kurt.

2) The Communication Link power only works in a single dimension. If Rip is in Kurt's Dimensional Pocket, it won't work.

3) It seems strange that the Claremont Academy would offer him a full scholarship unless he's somewhat known as a metahuman. Do they know his secret?

1) Oversight lol. Yes I was intending for Rip to only have the ability to speak with Kurt right now in his native mental language.

2) Ah, I could throw the Power Feat Dimensional on that to solve it.

3) Yes I meant to show that Mr. Summers knew of his powers and the accident and as such wanted to bring him into the Academy. Though perhaps not full scholarship as he could have had life insurance of something from his parent too if it fits better.

Edit: Moved 1 rank from sense motive to Language 1 [Dark Mind] for Shadow Man. Added 1 rank of dimensional to Kurt and Rip's Communication so they can use while Rip is in his pocket. Added a couple extra lines to Kurt's Background to more clearly state how he got into Claremont and why. Added Benefit 1 [Wealth], to Kurt to represent his parents life insurance policy and such coming to him.

Shadow Man

Gestalt is Continuous by default, so you don't need to buy the duration up to Continuous.

I must have pulled this from the core book where it is sustained. Fixed it to reflect the UP version. With 2 of the extra 3 pp I gave him darkvision and left the other one unspent.

Kurt

Why does he have Attractive 2 (the effects of which should be listed in his Skills section) and Wealth 1, if he's "a regular kid"?

His skills are off: I count 18r in skills, not 12.

Fixed the skills by adding 2 more ranks for 20 ranks total costing 4pp. "Regular kid" was used to describe him as having a normal lifestyle before meeting Rip, not that he looked like an average person. He had a regular home, parents and life as opposed to his lifestyle now. The wealth represents the life insurance policy he got from parents when they died.

What should the listed effects of attractive look like? Bluff +8 (Those who find you appealing)?

• 2 weeks later...

Uh sure, where do you want them? I don't see anything in the character build template or rules about marking it down.

There isn't, but it is one of the points that I'll be bringing up with the other Refs to have added.

Just above the stats will work.

Tradeoffs: +/- (type/type)

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...