GM

The one that the Meta-Naut had just attempted to hit made a sound that sounded very much like laughing, then pointed up at her. To Justice, it sounded like gibberish, but the Meta-Naut's translator picked it up. "Look, the flying one in the shell cannot hit anything! Let us show her how we do it, brothers!" Bravado, they didn't lack. Together with one of the others, the yelling attacker aimed his bow, taking aim at Meta-Naut and letting their arrows fly once more.

Justice wasn't faring much better. While she lifted her hammer again, the one she had attempted to hit backed away and fired an arrow, and while that might have missed, another attacker shot an arrow into her back from behind.

The Meta-Naut

Raya suddenly felt her eye twitch beneath her helmet visor. She clenched her teeth, then she took a moment to confirm just who had the stones to mock her. The blaster around her hand changed shape, somewhat, taking on a more martial air as she leveled it at the enemy. They were going to regret this.

"OH YEAH?" she spat, her translator changing her speech into their tongue. "WELL LET'S SEE HOW FUNNY YOU FIND THIS!"

She fired off her blast, aiming it directly for the groin of her mocker. She had no idea if there was even anything there, but she really hoped there was. It was a spectacularly spiteful move, but Raya Wells was a spectacularly spiteful person when needled, and oh boy was she needled. 

• 2 weeks later...

Justice

"Come on!" One arrow to the back, but the armor took care of it. Great! Swinging her hammer around herself, Justice brought it sideways into the little goblin in front of her, the impact sending him flying away and crashing into one of the other walls in the ruin.

Meta-Naut was shouting something. Sounded kinda out of character for her, even if she couldn't understand what she was saying to those things, it sounded absolutely furious. Pissed off beyond belief. These guys really got to her. Probably best to end it quick.

Getting her jets ready to launch her, Robin spun around, grabbing her hammer with both hands. "Come one short stuff! Think ya can take me? I'm right here, just me and a hammer!" Well, not just a hammer, but she'd show the little goblin that trick in a moment.

GM

The creature was completely surprised when the Meta-Naut shouted back at it in its own language. It didn't even hvae time to respond before it was hit straight in the groin, bending over and just rolling over to the side. Well, it was out of it. Painfully so.

The creature that Justice had struck soon came flying through the ruins, crashing into a wall close to the one that was still standing and attacking the Meta-Naut. It seemed unfazed by its companions being taken out, pulling back the string of its bow to shoot an arrow at Meta-Naut. The shot went wide, but its friend, after snickering at Justice's choice of weapon, was more lucky, the arrow hitting Justice's legs with enough force to affect her even through the armor.

The Meta-Naut

Raya cackled as she hit the one who had mocked her. Yet as one of the arrows struck Justice, she went right back to seething. Not only were they insulting her, they were attacking her friend.

Levelling her blaster at the arm the guy used to pull back the bowstring, she fired. Her thinking was that by doing so, she might prevent him from using that bow arm for a while even after he woke up, if this stunned him. Make sure he wasn't a threat. He'd lost his arm privileges, basically.

"Hey!" She shouted in their language. "I can keep shooting all day unless you start surrendering!"

• 2 weeks later...

Justice

That actually hurt. Not a whole lot, Robin had taken worse hits than that, but it still hurt. Meta-Naut was shouting something in some weird language, but it didn't really seem to do much, even as the Meta-Naut took down the one that had hit her. One guy remaining then. Alright, she could work with that. 

"Hey, you!" The last one probably couldn't understand her, but it really didn't matter. She just wanted its attention as she set off her jets, propelling herself up. Letting go of her hammer as she moved, she let it drop into a portal, then reached forward to grab her Power Sword from another portal, quickly landing and swinging it at the last guy. A bit brutal for her, but they had attacked first.

GM

The creature cursed and shouted, falling as the Meta-Naut's blast hit it. It stood for a moment, staring into nothing, then fell face first on the ground. The last one standing fell to Justice's strike, and for the moment, the two were left alone in the ruins. No wind, no nothing. It didn't seem to exist in Z-Space. Just a swirling vortex of colors above and around them.

It didn't seem like any of them were in a condition to talk right now. The big question would be whether they were alone or not.

The Meta-Naut

As the last of them dropped, the red mist departed her. She looked down over the bodies, and sighed to herself, realizing she had really lost her head there. Grimacing, the Meta-Naut descended towards her wounded friend, looking more serious.

"Hey, we have to move quick, but stand still for a second," she said as her translucent blaster morphed into a more medical looking device.

She pressed it against the hero, and began releasing vita-rays into her. "Here, this should help stimulate healing. It's not the best, but it is good in a pinch," she said as she looked over at one of the goons. "Should I heal up one of them for interrogation?"

Edited by Shofet

Justice

"Hey, don't worry, its not bad." Alright, yeah, it had smarted, but the armor had taken most of it. She'd built it well, after all. Still, she shouldn't complain. She could only stare at the Meta-Naut's blaster as it morphed into something else. Some kinda fluid tech, some kinda awesome WonderTech! Not really anything like what Robin could build, but still... it could be interesting to try and make something like that. It was from another universe though...

Robin was completely lost in her thoughts, staring at the tool, before Meta-Naut pressed it against her, and hey, it did feel better. Moving her arm around a bit, Robin grinned under her helmet and stretched her arm. "Hey, its much better! That's awesome!"

So, the question. Interrogate one of them? That was... err. Robin wasn't a fan of something like that, but, she hadn't seen any of these things around here before... so maybe it was for the best?

"I guess. It might be good to know where they came from." She took a step away from one of them. "Can you understand them? 'Cause I got no idea what they've been saying."

• 2 weeks later...

The Meta-Naut

"Sure can," the Meta-Naut said, walking over to the one she had blasted in the arm and crouching down over him. "They were insulting us earlier. They're pretty confident in themselves in general, seems like, which is pretty rich for a bunch of losers who had to attack from the shadows."

She walked over to the one she had shot in the arm, leaning over top of him. "I'm about to heal him, so I'd be ready in case he pulls any dumb stunts," she said, leveling the healing gun to his head.

Once Justice was in position, she began bombarding the archer with healing energy, before she quickly shifted her healing gun back to blaster mode, keeping it leveled at his face. She didn't actually intend to do anything but knock him out again if he attacked, but he didn't have to know that.

"Hey," she said in their language. "Wake up. We got some questions to ask you."

• 2 weeks later...

GM

The creature slowly opened its eyes and looked up. They were bright yellow, a sharp contrast to its grey skin. Up close like this, the skin seemed almost like stone or clay, not entirely organic. 

<"What?"> the creature snapped back, still groggy as it tried to stand up, then stopped when it noticed the weapons pointed at it. <"You come to this place, you come for us, and you dare threaten me? Is that it?">

Still, its eyes narrowed on the Meta-Naut's weapon.

<"Ask, then. Not like it will matter when you blast a hole in my head.">

Justice

Alright, knowing what these things were and why they were out here would be good, right? Still, Robin felt kinda weird about actually interrogating them. Sure, you'd expect that heroes would have to do that, but she never had to do that until now, at least not on the whole "wake them up and threaten them" bit that Meta-Naut seemed to be getting on to here. 

But alright. These things had attacked them first, and she didn't like the thought of them living right next to the AnneX. Pulling out her rocket hammer, she held it ready. It looked more menacing than any of her other tools, at least.

The Meta-Naut

The Meta-Naut stared, and then the blaster disappeared as she rested her arms on her knees instead. She wasn't really cut out for the whole Rebellion shtick. <"You shot at us first, you dingus. We were just travelling and you started launching lethal crap at us and now you're acting like the victim? I want you to notice something: ALL YOUR FRIENDS ARE STILL ALIVE. I'll even heal'em when this is done, if I don't think you're going to try and murder us again. Although the one I shot in the groin might be annoyed later... Anyway.  My question is: why the heck were you shooting at us? Did someone pay you or are you just particularly nasty? Confuse us for someone else?">

She sounded annoyed, to be sure, even with the new language barrier between her and Justice. And she was annoyed. This rock-man here was sassing her after he had the gall to attack them. What a jerk! But now it seemed like this could be a misunderstanding, which maybe losing her cool earlier wasn't the best of all possible choices.

<"Can you answer that or are you gonna be a jerk about that too.">

GM

<"I..."> The strange creature looked around, at the others that did seem like they were still alive, and back to Meta-Naut. It looked over at Justice's giant hammer, which kind of ran against the Meta-Naut's changed approach, before focusing on the Meta-Naut again.

<"You're strangers! Everyone for themselves! Nobody here isn't out for just themselves!"> The creature shifted nervously, slowly trying to push away. Its companions were still out cold. <"The master said to protect the ruins while he was in there! Can't let you get in!"> It seemed like something was going on with the creature. It started moving, twisting like it was fighting against itself. <"The Master said to keep him safe! We... live to... serve the master!"> 

Pushing itself off the ground, it launched itself towards the Meta-Naut, hands held out like claws in front of it.

Justice

Robin had no idea what Meta-Naut and the little imp were talking about, so she just did her best to look pretty and scary with her armor and big hammer. She could read enough of Meta-Naut's tone that she sounded annoyed. It really didn't seem like the little imp was giving her what she wanted, if it was even giving her anything at all.

She kept a close watch. Sure, Meta-Naut could watch herself, she was a hero, she was great, but she had a bad feeling. And then the moving, and twisting and then leaping.

Justice moved forward, swinging her hammer. The rocket at the end activated, the blow landing and sending the creature flying into the ground, knocking the creature out again.

"Right, what was that about now?"

• 2 weeks later...

The Meta-Naut

The Meta-Naut gawped at this display, watching the imp leap at her and then get his own teeth fed to him by Justice. She stared as the imp twitched, then looked up at Justice, frowning.  "Well, I gotta say, pretty sure all these people are being mind-controlled," she said. "Was talking about how some guy named the Master told them not to let people enter the ruins, then he had like this weird mental struggle, and then he tries to take my face off."

"...So, you wanna go check stuff out, or... Like go back? I mean, this is probably going to come back around to you at some point since your base is so close by so we should probably do something?"

"Also you know probably gotta free these little jerks from mind control," she said. "...Feel kinda bad about shooting one of the guys in the nards now that I know they're probably mind-controlled."

Justice

The Master, Mind Control and small imps messing things up in Z-Space. Wonderful

"Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to vote on going into the ruins and finding that master guy." Robin responded, raising her hammer to point further into the ruins. "Whoever that guy is, he made these guys hostile, right? I don't want someone like that messing things up so close to the AnneX. That's just inviting trouble, y'know."

This really wasn't how she had hoped the day would turn out, but what could you do?

"I'll take point, if you wanna back me up, right? But maybe leave the little Imps tied up till we get that mind control business sorted?"

She did feel kinda bad about fighting them, sure, but they had attacked, and they didn't really seem all that friendly. So, Justice shifted to her blaster and turned to the ruins, starting to move in. No need to rush or run, better to take the time. Who knew what might be waiting?

GM

With the duo proceeding further into the ruins, it soon became clear that they were an almost labyrinthine maze, a fusion of materials, time periods and maybe even worlds. One wall seemed like it might be made of obsidian rock, another was flawless steel. One seemed advanced, much beyond what could be found on Earth-Prime, while another were made from wooden planks. 

All in all, it was confusing, but at least it made it easier to make sure they weren't going in circles or anything like that.

It wouldn't be long before they heard noise. Voices speaking up ahead. An older male voice, talking perhaps to himself, or perhaps to someone else. "Yes, and this one, pick that up. We can use that." A gruff voice in the Imp's language replied that it would.