Rainbow Connection (IC)

Elizabeth made a distressed choking noise, looking wide-eyed at Judy. "I'm....not president material," she insisted, holding up her hands like she was warding the very idea of it away. Which, really, she was - and she briefly wondered if there was some magic that could wall off dangerous plans. "I'm kind of a mess, you really don't want me to be the actual leader of anything, even on paper."

An understatement, but it would work - the pit of her stomach had dropped out from under her as soon as the young magician had thought about the responsibilities of _presidency._ It was too much. She shook her head, white hair falling in front of her face for a moment before she pushed it back. "I like helping, though, and if someone else is calling the shots I'm happy to pitch in? VP would be...a lot," she said, grimacing, "but I'm willing to give it a shot if we don't have any other volunteers. Worst case, I can be two of me, and that'll help. And that thing there? All that empathy? That sounds like president material to me."

White Lioness

Àjàṣorò followed along with the conversation and confession, not quite sure if she had much to add. Still she guessed she had a story to tell and now was as a good a time as any.

When the spirit that imbues me with power moves on it take with it an echo of the previous owners, I need to sort out if these feeling are mine or from those that came before. Was I attracted to both boys and girl before, I’m not sure and I guess here as good a place to find out as any.”

She pause before adding to the other part of the discussion.

I do have some experience of organizing things, it was drummed into us from an early age. But I’m not sure if I’m best to lead, I often have responsibilities that take me away from time to time.”

Judy lit up as Ajay talked, rising to her feet and moving behind one of the nearby tables. "Well, with three such fine potential leaders as Abby, Ayjay, and Mia here, it sounds like we should have ourselves an election," she commented as she stooped down slightly, "and it just so happens that Ah have prepared..." She came up with a ballot box with a knitted rainbow cover and a selection of colorful sticky pads handing all around it. "All the resources for one!" She went around to everybody, handing out ballots, Claremont Academy plastic pens, and smiling all the way with a joy that was almost infectious. "Now Ah will of course abstain as existing club officer," she said as she sat down beside the box, folding her hands and beaming. "Ah do nominate whoever comes in second to succeed me as recording secretary, the better to make sure that role is filled." 

• 2 weeks later...

As things shook out (and as Judy shook the box before she counted the ballots), it was Abby who was the winner by a single vote - Ajay and Mia having tied for second. (Not everyone present in the room had voted, but those who had voted had only voted once.) Judy led the applause, followed with sighing reluctance by Ashley. 

"It's all right," Judy reassured Mia and Ayjay, "you guys sounded great, and Ah'm sure you'll be great leaders next year. Right now one of you should decide who is gonna be recording secretary for this coming year. Ah know it doesn't sound too glamorous, but trust me, you'll be running this place before you know it!" 

Turning to the winner, she beamed and said, "Abby, you will be excellent Ah am sure!" She took the other girl by the arms and looked her up and down. "Ah know all this is a little scary, but Ah've got great news. Ah'll work with you to help get you ready to be the best President you can be!" Gotta work on her fashion, she thought sympathetically. 

White Lioness

Despite what some would except Àjàṣorò had taken part in the democratic progress, but never being one of the candidates and it was something she was finding fascinating. She hadn’t expected to win, in her mind she was just making up the numbers, so could some what enjoy the progress. She had the responsibility as the White Lioness after all, and she wouldn’t want to do do a half decent job at anything as important as this.

Congratulations, I know you’ll do well.” she honestly told Abby, they weren’t close but she was a pretty good judge of people

I’m not sure I can commit to any other position but if you need any help don’t hesitate to ask me for help. Though I’m sure that applies to any of us here.”

Lulu sighed and shook her head slightly at Judy's powerful combination of positivity and bull-headedness; the Alliance would have officers! But it was impossible not to like the girl, especially considering the size of her heart. The telepath had no interest in a leadership position, but she was still willing to help.

"If either of you needs help, like makin' flyers or anythin' like that, just let me know; ah'm always available for cheap labor!"

Noticing Nick's discomfort, she reached out to him mentally as she helped herself to another slice of Southern goodness.

- I know you're not the best at gatherings like this, but it means a lot that you showed up. Most of us at Claremont are one sort of outsider or another; we all need to stick together, right? -  

Edited by Heritage

Dang, so close.

Judy's pincer maneuver caused Nick to reroute along the wall. Losing precious seconds, a colorful ballot in hand stopped his escape cold. Accepting his momentary fate, the Iowan thought long and hard over the choices before casting his vote.

Even as awkward as he felt, the gathering had proved enlightening to say the least. Perhaps acclimating to the group, or the school, explained part of the experience. More concretely, certain things could now be said.

One, Abby, though he'd never conversed with her, had the makings of a great president. Like Mia, she didn't seem the leadership type, but she seemed ethical. Two, Judy seemed destined to a politician. Even if that meant Dragon Queen of Dimension something-something. Three, Ashley received the descriptor "long-suffering". It's like they weren't even sisters. He felt a bit sorry for her.

His musings aside, Nick slipped toward the exit during the congratulations. He stopped short of the door and turned toward Lulu. The usual din of EM signals broadcasted back to her, momentarily, before he tapped them down. Notably, they felt better controlled then during their first conversation.

He didn't say anything mentally. He nodded to her, looked down at the floor a moment, and then leaned against the door frame. For now, being a supportive ally outweighed his anxiety.