Casting Call

MarkK

"Alright then. If you'll all head over to the Wreck Room now, we will get started presently."

On reaching the room, the massive steel double doors slid open with a hiss, revealing to the heroes what for now looked to be a vast chamber of featureless, gleaming steel.

The Emissary meanwhile remained in the lounge and looked to Velocity with a light smile.

"So, is there anything particularly you'd like to subject them to?"

When Archangel arrived, Velocity had given her a friendly greeting and a broad smile, then she had been quite as Emissary began to ask each of those there about themselves.

Once that was done, she zipped over to the doors to the Wreck Room's control room ahead of Emissary, and waited for him to catch up.

When he asked what challenges she might like for the group to face, she was quite for only a few moments before she replied, "how about a trio from the Power Corps?"

He nodded in response.

"A good choice I think. I'll put in a few warm up exercises and power measuring sorts of things to get them started. Besides of which, Arrowhawk would likely be displeased without at least the one chance to test himself against a record of Bowman's."

A slight glimmer can be seen around Raven as she steps into the Wreck Room. She then makes a few quick gestures and begins to hover about 6 inches off the ground. "It appears as though at least part of this test will involve us working together towards a common goal and that combat may be involved. I prefer to stay at range from my target, and I assume the same applies to you, Arrowhawk." She nods at him and then turns to Archangel and Sentry. "Do either or both of you prefer close combat?"

"I'm quite efficient at both and seeing that two of you are more geared for ranged combat I'll prepare myself for close combat." Sentry Peers around the area though there isn't much to take in yet. To every he appears to have a very flexible sheet of armor covering his body.

The Emissary sat back within the control room as he spoke with Velocity, fiddling with a few of the buttons.

The Wreck Room itself lit up at that, shimmering into view before Sentry, Raven and Archangel were rectangles of glowing blue white energy.

The Emissary's voice then came in over the intercom

"This is just an effort to record striking power, so if you could hit one of those as hard as you could. However, for Arrowhawk..."

A series of far smaller, even tiny squares, looking to be of the same energy, formed mid air and began whirling around each other in what looked to be random, dizzying patterns, fast enough to leave glimmering, mutually obscuring trails.

"Something different. This is one of Bowman's marksmanship excercises. One of those squares will, for a split second, pulse red. He is generally speaking able to hit it through the center in the moment it does."

Archangel looks unsure of what to do for a moment,then calls out, "Hold up. Is this a test of strength, or am I supposed to hit it like I would in a fight, using this? She holds up her hands, and everyone can see that she is now holding a heavy mace, apparently made of the same silvery material as her armor.

If told to use the weapon, Archangel nods and smiles. She stands sideways before the rectangle and braces her feet, swinging the silver mace mightily into the target, putting as much effort into it as she can.

If told not to, she drops the mace, which is gone before it hits the ground. She seems less comfortable without using the weapon, although her punch still isn't bad.

Sentry switches his internal power reserves from powering his flight to powering his strength to maximum. Stepping up to the target he punches through it, shattering the thing into pieces with the force of his punch. "How was that?" he asks truly interested in the answer.

Raven looks at the square for a moment. "Well, this is my most common method of attacking. She backs away a bit, muttering strange words, her hands flying out of her cloak as she makes strange gestures. She then holds her hands out in front of her, fingers pointed up, and says "Cry of the Raven!" A black bolt streaks from her hands and into the blue energy field.

"However, if you would prefer a test of strength as well..." Raven lowers herself to the ground and takes up a decidedly martial arts stance. She closes her eyes, seeming to focus for a moment before her right hand flies forward into the blue field. "I hope that was sufficient."

The Emissary went over the readings taken from the attacks.

"That was potent indeed Sentry. You and Archangel seem to strike apace with each other, if that was your curiosity."

Meanwhile, Arrowhawk's focused shot sailed quickly through the air, wind whistling around the feathered shaft. With a faint pinging noise and a far more soild sounding thunk, it embedded itself dead center in one of the flying squares, seemingly in the same moment it flared to life with a red glow. Trading force for acuity did mean it stuck in partway, as opposed to shooting through completely.

"Very well done, a mirror of one of the Bowman's shots I think."

He pressed a few more buttons at that.

"Alright, I'm going to send a few training drones out at each of you as a warmup before the grouped simulation, and so that you can see each other in action before it."

No sooner had he spoke, than a hiss began echoing around the room, as metal panels shifted and slid back as smooth circles along the walls, sets of red eyes glowing from the darkened portals that opened.

With a last few adjustments of the controls from Emissary, gunmetal grey training drones stream out from the walls, pairing off and making a beeline for each of the gathered heroes, forearms ending in blaster cannons that begin to crackle to life in rising pulses of energy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Emissary monitors the vitals of men and machines alike as he watches the fight.

One of the drones is left sputtering and sparking, spinning about with an imprint of the Sentry's fist punched into its steely exterior.

Though some of the other drones bear the telltale scorch marks of energy blasts, or metal rent around the piercing impact point of an arrow, they continue to bear down on the heroes, lighting up the Wreck Room in a bright flash as blasters level and fire in unison, shimmering energy crashing outwards in thunderous bursts.