"It's Ragnarok!" said Watchdog with a smirk before she cut the wire, watching as Donar whizzed past Judy's head and buried himself in the far wall. Son of a bitch! she thought shakily as she and Judy staggered out of the church together, the latter still glowing like the sun before she suddenly dropped to her knees and started retching, though with nothing in her system there was nothing to bring up. 

"That was awful!" she said. "All those people!" She looked up at the others, Ashley's arms around her, and the blood on her face was like rainbow fire against her glowing skin. "Did we even help them?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legatus

Felix looked at Watchdog, bowing his head apologetically. "Sorry, I, uh, didn't think that through as well as I might've." He scratched the back of his head, embarrassed, before Judy's words pulled him out of it. He took a moment to look around, before answering, his voice grave. "I think... I think it would have been much worse if we weren't here. Sometimes..." XVIII blinked unshed tears from his eyes. "Sometimes that's all we can do."

He looked up at Macedon. "How are we going to leave, if we cannot stay here?" Or now, I suppose.

Adam arrived just in time to see everyone standing around. The ubersoldaten were all out. He sighed as he looked around.

"I, I honestly don't know." He said, eyes cast down. His head hung low. "We have done more than would have been done if we had not arrived.  We went up against freaking nazis. Nazi supervillains! We're alive, we saved people, we helped. Don't think of the people that died. Think of the people that would have died if we weren't here. There are tanks that won't kill another Allied soldier, and I imagine a couple of the ubersoldaten are out of commission for a few days, at least. That's good, right? We helped, right? Even if we didn't help everyone?"

His voice wavered between confidence and the realization of what they had just gone through. He was tired, he wanted to find Lulu and just...melt with her, to relax with her, to let go of this experience and return home. 

Forever Boy

"It is a rare thing that you can save everyone." Pan's voice was surprisingly somber. "But that does not mean that we should not try. I believe we did the best we could, today." He was hovering a bit above the others, looking like he was focusing, listening. "I can hear the people we saved. They are running towards a cave, to the North. Some old American told them to hide there." He grinned, while he could see Macedon making their way towards them. 

"At any rate, we were victorious! We defeated the great villains of the past! That should be cause for celebration, should it not?"

GM

"Fairy boy's right." Macedon had finally caught up to the heroes outside the church. He was bent over, breathing heavily, but he was there. "The cave's opened up again. I've told everybody to get in there, and we'd better go too. Whatever the Magic Mesa wanted us to do, we've done it, an' its time to leave before we mess up time." He paused as he looked around at the fallen Übersoldaten, and whistled once, raising the tip of his hand. "You stopped the Übersoldaten? Guess you're all gettin' A+ for the class. Now, let's go. Don't wanna get caught here."

The young heroes' celeration were shortlived. 

A whistling sound from above was their only warning. A streak of dark grey was all they would see, then the sound and shockwave from the impact as something struck Legatus. It was like thunder up close, like an explosion. The force, the speed of it all, for a moment he might think that the Centurion had arrived and mistaken him and the others for villains, or maybe Donar had returned to his feet and thrown the hammer, but as everything slowed down, it became clear that it was worse.

Much, much worse.

The man that had struck Legatus was tall, muscular and blonde. His dark grey uniform sported red gloves and the red and black SS insigna on his chest. Hovering above the ground, cosmic energies crackling around his fists, his eyes cold and calculating. He barely seemed to notice his fallen comrades, he only had eyes for the young American heroes that now surrounded him.

Macedon was, for the first time since the students had met him, at a loss for words. His lips felt dry. His heart was beating like he had only experienced once before, the last time he had seen the monster that now stood before them. He could only barely manage to speak his warning to the students. "Übermensch... Everyone run! NOW!"

Legatus

The Teen of Adamant staggered back from the blow, shaking himself vigorously. That had... hurt. Not a lot, but he'd been lucky enough that it hadn't broken anything. The sheer amount of force the blow had given him shook him inwardly, but not as much as the name. He knew this foe. The Centurion had often struggled to stop him. Well, crap. Breathing heavily, Legatus prepared himself for what was about to come.

Forever Boy

Too fast, too strong. Felix still stood, but Macedon's reaction said it all, even with Pan's limited knowledge of historic villains. Run, yes, that seemed good. Everything about this one just screamed danger. The others, the Übersoldaten, they had been confident, but not like this. Not the way this one attacked without a word, striking at Felix and coming from out of nowhere.

Fine, fine. Run away. He could help with that. "Everyone!" Arms out to the sides, he paused for half a second once he had their attention, then he slammed his hands together, golden dust exploding from the impact, all over the area. Ashley, Judy, Felix, Adam, Benny and even Macedon began to glow with a slight golden shine, Pixie Dust slowly falling from their bodies as they began to float. "Think happy thoughts!"

Then he opened his hands up, quickly blowing air in between them. A storm of golden mists blew out from his hands, quickly covering the area around them, even as it left everyone but Übermensch able to still see everything.

"I get what you mean!" Adam said, realizing he could fly. "He just made it so we can all fly, so MOVE!" He said. He hoped that Übermensch wouldn't catch up to them before they could escape.  He knew Pan's powers fairly well, and guessed that that Übermensch was currently unable to see. That suited Adam just fine. They'd fought a bunch of nazis, but anyone that could rock Felix with a punch was someone none of them wanted to tangle with. He was a strong, brave young man, but this guy was on a different level and they had done a lot of good.

He lingered for a moment, making sure his teammates and Macedon had a chance to start taking off before leaving himself.

Edited by Thunder King

GM

The blonde superman stared at Legatus, his face contracting into a disapproving frown. "Weak." He spoke perfect English, though with a clear German accent. "You cannot be the Centurion. Then, what are you? A sidekick? His cousin? His son?" 

Everything turned to golden mist around him. He quickly looked around, briefly waving his hands through the mists, like he was testing them. "Trickery? No matter."

Still turned towards Legatus, he slammed his hands together. The force created was, frankly, amazing. The shockwave exploded from his hands, with both Legatus and Rebound being caught in the wave.

Benny was not gonna be able to go toe to toe with the Super Nazi over there.  But he wasn't going to stick it out right in front of him.  So he just wasn't there when the shockwave ripped through where he had been, managing to flatten against the ground, in a blink before coming back up up and springing toward Ashley and Judy, to assist them in leaving before he got out.

He was worried, legitimately, about the others, as he was making sure the rest of the teens, and other people were out of the reach of the blonde Teutonic bad news.  "We need to beat feet!"  His eyes swept over the rest of them, and only when they were getting out did he, aware that he might have to dart back in to snatch someone up.

The Smith sisters stayed flat on the ground at least at first. 

But it's the Devil's work! It's not right! Judy squeezed her eyes shut and folded her hands tight. But I know Pan, and I know he's a good boy! It can't be wrong! I'm happy about a lot of things! I love Ashley, and my family, and Leroy, and Jesus! Jesus take the wheel, fill me with your Holy Spirit and let me fly! She said the last few words aloud and leaped into the air, taking off as gossamer wings of light surrounded her. 

Ashley stood flat on the ground, trying to think of a happy thought and realizing that looking for happiness was the surest way to make sure it didn't happen. I'm going to leave, she thought. I'm going to make sure Judy is safe, and then I am going to get out of here, and go back to my real life, and maybe...and maybe I'm going to ask Fa'Rua to take me into space, and I'm never going to have to pretend to be someone else ever again! She did not say a word at the last, but leaped into the air and took off and away towards their ride home. 

Legatus

Felix staggered briefly from the impact of the shockwave, but shook it off with a scowl. He looked at Centurion's old nemesis, his eyes hard. "None. I am his Legacy." With that, he leapt into the air and flew away with his friends, but kept his speed just below theirs, ready to take Übermensch if the Nazi villain followed them. I cannot win against him, but that doesn't mean I can't slow him down long enough for the Squad to escape.

GM

Übermensch smiled through the mists, even as he clearly heard Legatus flying away. "Then I will make sure no one will remember you."

Rebound, Watchdog and Daystar would soon reach the cave, with a cursing Professor Macedon landing next to them. "Man's not meant to fly like that," he complained, while starting to direct the fleeing people towards the cave. A lot had already made it inside, but not nearly everyone.

"Go. There's no way I'll let you kids go up against Superior, so get in there and run. If everything works like I hope, the cave should close after us. I'll stick around until the other kids get here." 

The villagers were yelling, screaming and crying as they ran. Some carried children, a young girl held her cat. 

Forever Boy

That was not a good sound, but somehow, Felix was still standing. Pan suppressed the urge to whistle at how impressive that was. Now really wasn't the time for that. This Übermensch was obviously bad news, so no time for playing around, no. He had done what he could, even if he didn't feel like leaving Adam behind, but if anything, he was probably the toughest person here. Yes, he should go.

Full speed ahead, he passed by Adam, leaving a golden glow behind, quickly reaching the cave as he flew above the fleeing villages, just in time for the tail end of Macedon's orders. Coming to an immediate stop about five feet above the ground, Pan forcefully shook his head. "Do you really believe I will do that, Professor?" He looked back towards the village. Only a matter of time until Adam got here, he hoped.

"Time to go!"  Adam said to Felix. Adam took off as fast as he could. This foe was beyond them. He really didn't feel like dying in 1940s France. They had saved people, and now it was time to go.

This had been a very strange experience, and now he intended to go home. Or, at least back to his era. After that he had an interesting story for Lulu. That was his happy thought, Lulu.

GM

"Ha." Die Übermensch's laugh was not without humor. "Of course, you all flee." If anything, he seemed to find the entire situation rather amusing. He exploded into the sky, dragging golden mists behind him, before he quickly switched directions once he noticed everyone fleeing towards the cave... and the one young hero that was lagging behind, ready to defend his peers.

He moved like a bolt from the sky. With full force, he tackled Legatus into the ground, pounding the Centurion's legacy into the dirt, before standing up over the unconscious hero to dust himself up. The action was swift, decisive, without mercy. He reached for Legatus, tossed him aside at the feet of the heroes like ragdool. "Do you think the cave will save you? Is that it, little Americans? Nowhere is safe from me."

"I swore I'd never use this thing..." Ashley pulled a black steel rod from her belt and shoved it into an opening in one of her grenades, leaning close to Judy to say "Judy! You need to run! Now!" She dropped her helmet again and looked at her. "I'll find you on the other side! I promise!" And with one last look back, and an embrace of her sister, Daystar fled like a shooting star, running down into the cave. Looking back, Ashley activated the fuel cells inside her grenade, powering - 

A few years ago 

Copycat slipped the control rod in her pocket. "Coming!" she said as she slipped away from the Zero Zone projector, able to tell that her tarrying had annoyed the hell out of her mentor - good! Teach Raven to take her to this boring temple to a dead man... 

"Hey, Superior!" called Ashley as the Nazi demigod got closer. "I've got something for you! You're not gonna like it!" She pressed a button and felt the grenade warm in her grip, so hot it was almost burning her through her glove. "But you'd better get used to it!" 

She threw the grenade back behind Superior, where it detonated with a choking roar and abruptly transformed itself into a whirling vortex of energy! She could tell from looking that the gateway was incomplete but she could see it pulling at the rogue Ultiman even so, trying to drag him backwards to his premature destiny. 

GM

"Was?" Übermensch looked at this woman that dared to challenge him. There was nothing but disdain in his eyes. He certainly didn't consider her a threat. "Who is Superior?" The momentary distraction did its work, however, as Ashley threw the grenade.

The sound was was weird. A choked roar. A roaring vortex. 

"Nein!"

Caught off guard, he felt the pull. The vortex pulled at him, still held open, he felt back, away from Watchdog.

Forever Boy

Everything around them happening fast, flashes, Legatus going down in a hit as the Nazi super man appeared from the sky. Was he still breathing? Pan looked down at him, kneeling by Felix's side for a second, before looking up as Ashley actually ran towards the villain, while Judy did as she was told and ran away.

Now, Pan wanted to stand his ground, Pan wanted to fight, obviously, but running towards the man? He hadn't expected Ashley to do just that! He let out a laugh at the sight, a sound of hope in the middle of the chaos, as the crowds fled towards the cave.

"Everyone!" Pixie Dust exploded from him, powerful shapes, an explosion of gold and glitter, and shine. "We cannot let him through! All these people count on us! He is evil, he is darkness, but so what? When we shine, darkness fades! And we are going to shine brighter than ever before!"

"You're going to lose." Adam said, staring down at Übermensch. "Not just here, not just you, you lose the whole war." Then, he charged.

He flew forward towards Übermensch and slammed his fist into the side of his head as hard as he could. He didn't hold back, he knew that he needed to stop this monster. His hit was enough to rock Übermensch, and he figured that would give them time.

"We need to get outta here!"

GM

His fingers digging into the soil to fight against the pull, Übermensch almost growled as Pan and Specimen talked. "Never! Once I am free, I will rip you to shreds, Americans!" He struggled. It was a fight, but slowly, ever so slowly, he resisted the pull of the Zero Zone, crawling towards the heroes... and then Specimen struck.

He looked up just in time to see the first blow land hard. Specimen was strong. Stronger than he had expected. The blow rocked him, sending him a few feet to the side, but it probably wouldn't last long.

Even then, as the villagers continued to flee into the cave, it might have been just the final push they needed.

There were problems with being the adult in the room. Or maybe the World War II battlefield. 

"Adam," called Watchdog cooly, "grab Legatus and run for the cave!" Adam was the strongest out of all of them, and stood the best chance of escaping with the fallen teen paragon. "The rest of you, run!" she added, a sharp command in her voice. "Unless you want to spend seventy years in the ass-end of history!" She didn't actually have any idea how long the portal was going to stay open, but she knew super-kids were stubborn enough to stand there and fight until they were dead. And this was a fight they couldn't win. Taking a few steps back towards the cave herself, Watchdog kept peppering the Nazi paragon with laser fire, blasting him repeatedly with her double-handled pistols. "Go f*ck yourself!" 

GM

Übermensch struggled to rise. Even through the daze as blows continued to rain down, he was still far from done. They had hurt him, yes, an impressive feat in and of itself, but he was far from out. They only served to fuel his anger, as his fingers dug into the ground. The laser fire rained down on him. He barely felt them sting, instead he simply glared up at Ashley as he fought to regain his bearings amidst the assault.

More and more people from the village entered the cave. Macedon stood by it, yelling in French for them to get inside. So close, only a few seemed to remain. If the heroes held their ground, then maybe they would be able to save them.

Of course, maybe also meant Übermensch would get the chance to strike back.

Forever Boy

"I will take the long path if necessary." Pan was right by Ashley's side, shimmering sword in his hands, ready to strike if Übermensch rose. "Adam, Benny, go, I will keep Ashley company until everyone is out. You have knocked him down, now run." His entire body glowed, Pixie Dust falling from him in greater amounts than any of them had ever seen. He lit up the area around them, while slowly backing away together with Ashley.

"I do not leave friends behind, Ashley." His voice was lower, his tone somber. "If you want me to go, then you are coming along, too. After all, can you imagine imagine what Judy and Leroy would get up to if you stayed behind in the past?" His playful tone returned for the last bit.

Edited by RocketLord

Adam charged for Felix and snatched him up. Then, he bolted for the cave. They'd done as much as they could in this situation, to save these people. He had broken some nazi tanks, beaten up several of nazi super soldiers, and hit Superior himself in the face. He'd done his part, and now he was out of here.