Ignis - Nalerenn - PL10 Hero

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, taking a look, but you'll need to bear with me, your concept/backstory has moments of making Jean Grey look straightforward..

Erm ... yay? ^^;; Sorry about that. If you want some clarification, just gimme a shout. I'll be more than happy to clear things up.

The way I see it, his attacks with his staff aren't that good (which is what I wanted to go for), but it's his Magic that's his forte. And he's designed to be a team player, really, so he wouldn't be going off and fighting people alone from the word 'go'. Again, it's something I think fits with his character. He wants to learn about what goes on on Earth, so he sticks around with them to see how it's done before he goes off on his own, if at all.

Ah, now I see it. Was thinking the Power Rank was in the attack roll, not the damage roll. I'm taking another two points from Mind Reading and Mind Control and putting them into the Attack Bonus instead, as well as switching some points from Defense Bonus to Attack Bonus.

I was really more referring to your character's toughness save as far as taking a hit, but fair enough. Okay.. could you explain to me the whole.. resurrecting the dead thing, why it's there, what you feel it contributes, and how it jives with otherwise throwing hellfire around?

Since his magic is a form of Technomagic, You're gonna end up getting a bit of a physics lecture. Sorry ^^;;

Long story short, the Conservation of Energy. Nalerenn takes the energy created by the Flames of Disaster and changes them into the same energy type that animates people. Not physical energy, more the energy that has them live. He then pushes that energy into the target, resulting in them resurrecting, basically, the surge of energy boosting their natural (or supernatural as the case may be) regeneration for a split second. Why can't he do this with other forms of energy? Nanomachine limitations. The nanomachines he holds that augment his control of the Flames of Disaster are suited to that task alone, augmenting his control of the Flames of Disaster. He can't change that life energy back into the Flames, though, so it's a one-way thing.

As for why he has it while the rest of his powers are throwing Hellfire left, right and center, this one is based on Nalerenn's prerogative. He decided to modify the nanomachines using his own knowledge in order to gain that ability, feeling that he would have to to avoid at least some of the suspicion upon him by the Jojeians, as well as aid any Heroic allies he'd join forces with and patch up any unfortunates caught in a crossfire.

I, personally, think it adds to his character. Without it, he might come across as a bit trigger-happy, very fond of flinging fireballs around, but with this, it adds in the side of him that cares about those he works with, and not seeing them as additional meatshields. After all, he developed the ability to do this for them and asks nothing in return.

Okay, basically, my problem is the ability to casually resurrect the dead is a huge, huge deal. I've been trying to come at this from different angles, but it remains that not even do you need to spend a hero point to, you know, restore people from death.

I could see, from what you're describing being able to regrow someone's limbs or some such stuff, heal incurable damage, that kind of thing.

The main thing here is, you've basically traded off for a somewhat higher magic rating, the extreme fragility of your character. You've got multiple saves at, well, 2. If you lowered magic by a rank or two, they might at least both be at 6 or something.

Okay, it all checks out, and your willingness to do every change I asked overcomes my leeriness at your backstory, but just before stamping approved..

You attend Claremont? As a giant alien wolfman who communicates through mind powers, you okay with them being kinda leery of you walking the streets at will?

Actually, if it's not too late, one final adjustment to his powers. Swapping one rank of Comprehend for two ranks of Immunity (Cold environments, due to his fur, and Hellfire, due to the Flames of Disaster). I won't edit it in yet, just in case. That okay? It'd mean I drop speaking all languages at once, but it's a drop I'm fine with taking.

[EDIT] Just realized that 10 ranks would be for the cold descriptor, but that's not what I meant. Just cold environments. Sorry about not making that as clear as it could've been. ^^;;