Alternate Identity: 'Ignis'

Height: 8ft 2in

Weight: 550lbs

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Green

Description:

(See Image)

History:

Nalerenn, to give the English approximation of his name, was transported to Earth from his home planet, Canto Prime, in a last-ditch attempt to preserve the species after a war broke out with another race, the Jojeians from Jojei Sigma in a nearby solar system. He was trained for a large portion of his life to in their technology as well as their form of magic which uses discreet nanomachines to alter the air, though Nalerenn's abilities seem to be more than controlling the nanomachines. He had almost finished his training when he was shot out into space.

The war itself broke out when Jojeian Magi discovered a prophecy speaking of a Cantonian wielding green flames known as 'The Flames of Disaster' that would destroy them entirely. In an effort to stop this, they decided to annhiliate the Cantonians entirely. The surprise attacks rendered the Cantonians helpless and, in the last ditch attempt to save themselves, they gathered together many of their kind and shot them off into space, each heading to a different destination far off in the galaxy. The remaining Cantonians, however, were killed entirely.

Nalerenn's escape pod crash-landed near Freedom City, though a malfunction occurred. He was trapped, conscious, in a form of stasis, though was able to use his Astral Form to observe Humans outside Freedom City from afar, before a wandering group of Superheroes noticed his Astral form and recovered his pod. With his help, they were able to de-activate the stasis and release him, who them explained his situation. However, he did not tell anyone of his Cantonian lineage, instead claiming to be a Jojeian who broke off from their tyrannical regime in order to protect Earth from the possibility of the Jojeians tacking his location and holding the Earth hostage in order to kill him.

After deciding to aid the Superheroes in Freedom City, Nalerenn adopted the name 'Ignis', though his identities are both known to the public. However, unbeknownst to him and the others, 'Ignis' translated from the Jojeian language to 'The Flames of Disaster'. He is knowledgeable in the Techno-magic of the Jojeians and Cantonians (as their abilities are identical) as well as skilled in picking up things that others may miss. Due to his age, he attends Claremont Academy in order to learn more about Human culture and traditions in a suitable environment, while also extending his own knowledge of the arcane and technology.

Unknown to him he is the wielder of the Flames of Disaster, though he is not certain if he is indeed the one in the prophecy, as he believes the name to be different. Though they are called the Flames of Disaster, they are known to be able to aid the wielder's allies as well as decimate their enemies. The Flames are a magical phenomenon extremely rare in both Cantonians and Jojeians, supposedly bestowed upon one by chance alone. The wielder of the Flames is seen as a messiah by the Cantonians and a tyrant that should be destroyed by the Jojeians. By other races, however, this knowledge is highly obscure.

Complications:

Secret: Truth regarding his lineage as a Cantonian in order to protect the Earth from the Jojeians. His secret is locked within his mind, however, and Jojeians are a relatively unknown race, due to being on the opposite side of the galaxy. Lastly, Jojeians of his build (both due to his outward appearance and being extremely scrawny for a Jojeian, although thin for a Cantonian) are somewhat rare, but not impossible.

Enemy: Due to destroying his home planet, Nalerenn despises the Jojeians. The feeling is also mutual, as the Jojeians are wary of Nalerenn due to his name 'Ignis'. As far as they know, Nalerenn is indeed a traitor to the Jojeian Empire and will attack him on sight, however if it were known that he was a Cantonian, they would likely send a large force to destroy him.

Stats: 14pp

Str: 14 (+2) -4pp (+8 from Growth)

Dex: 14 (+2) 4pp

Con: 14 (+2) (+4 from Growth)

Int: 16 (+3) 6pp

Wis: 18 (+4) 8pp

Cha: 10 (+0)

Combat: 20pp

Attack: +6 (+7 Bought, -1 Large Penalty)

Grapple: +11 (+4 Large Bonus +7 BAB)

Defense: +3 (+3 Bought, +1 Dodge Bonus, -1 Large Penalty)

Knockback: -6

Initiative: +0

Saves: 4pp

Toughness: +5 (+2 Con, +3 armor)

Fortitude: +4 (+2 Con, +2 bought)

Reflex: +4 (+2 Dex, +2 bought)

Will: +4 (+4 Wis, +10 vs. Mental effects.)

Skills: 40r = 10pp

Computers 4 (+7)

Concentration 4 (+4)

Craft (Electronic) 6 (+9)

Craft (Mechanical) 6 (+9)

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 8 (+11)

Knowledge (Technology) 6 (+8)

Notice 6 (+10)

Feats: 5pp

Artificer

Ritualist

Inventor

Equipment 2 (Quarterstaff, Armored Jumpsuit, PDA, Handcuffs, GPS Receiver)

Powers: 103pp

Astral Form 4 [20]

Communication 6 (Mental; PFs: Innate, Selective; Extras: Area) [14]

Comprehend 2 [4]

Can speak and understand all languages, but only one at a time

Growth 4 (Large; Extra: Duration/Continuous; Feat: Innate; Flaw: Permanent) [13]

Immunity 3 (3)

Cold environments and the Hellfire descriptor

Magic 14 (PF: 4 Alternate Powers) [32] {32 max PP for Alternate Powers}

Main Power: Healing 7 (Extras: Total, Range; PFs Persistent, Regrowth)

AP: Hellfire Control 13

AP: Hellfire Control 10 (Extra: Area: Explosion)

AP: Hellfire control 8 (Extra: Area: Cloud)

AP: Teleport 10 (Extra: Accurate; Feats: Easy, Change Velocity)

Mind Reading 5 (PFs: Innate) [6]

Mind Shield 6 (PFs: Innate) [7]

Drawbacks: 2pp

Noticeable (Mind Reading): Tattoo glows when in effect.

Noticeable (Communication): Tattoo glows when in effect.

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

Device (Staff) ------- 16/Toughness -- Bruise

Hellfire Control 13 -- 28/Toughness -- Bruise

Hellfire Control 10 -- 25/Toughness -- Bruise

Hellfire Control 8 --- 23/Toughness -- Bruise

Costs: Abilities (14) + Combat (20) + Saves (4) + Skills (10) + Feats (5) + Powers (99) - Drawbacks (2) = 150 /156 Total Cost

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to FC PbP! Please feel free to introduce yourself in the "Secret Identities" thread (link in my .sig).

Very cool image 8-)

The background is okay, but why the name "Iblis" (the Arabic word for Satan in Islam)? I mean, why did he adopt that name for himself? And why did you, the player, choose it?

Stats-wise, there are a few problems.

The maximum trade-offs we allow is +/- 3, so the most Hellfire Control he can have is 13.

This trade-off also means the most Toughness he can have is 13. With a Con of 14/+2, the most Force Field he could have is 11. Also, Force Field doesn't add to Defense, just to Toughness.

How are you getting a -1 on attack and defense?

It's impossible to tell what powers he has tied to his Staff, and which are tied to his Armor. What's tied to them? Or is anything tied to them?

Is he supposed to have the Growth power? Or, rather, is he supposed to have some Permanent Innate Growth?

The DC for Damaging powers is 15 + rank, not 10 + rank. So, for example, Hellfire Control 10 would call for a DC 25 Toughness save.

Oh, I bought the size: Large which is where the 12 points came from, along with a bunch of the negatives, bonuses, etc.

'Iblis' was more because I liked the sound of it. Didn't know it meant that, but I don't see it being much of a problem with the whole Hellfire Control thing. As for an IC reason, he'd remember it as the last thing said before he was forced to leave his home world.

Oh! You mean no Power can be above Rank 13, right? Or is my Magic at 16 okay?

I forgot about the Max. Toughness thing, so I'll add that in. I'll fix the values, too. My bad.

I get the -1 to Defense and Attack from having bought the Large size as my base.

Staff and Armor have nothing attached to them, other than the base stats in the Equipment Section.

Nah, no Growth. It's his base size I bought up to Large.

Oh, I bought the size: Large which is where the 12 points came from, along with a bunch of the negatives, bonuses, etc.

Nah, no Growth. It's his base size I bought up to Large.

That would be Growth. Specifically, Growth 4 (Large; Extra: Duration/Continuous; Flaw: Permanent) [12pp]. 13pp if it's Innate (are all his people this size?)

'Iblis' was more because I liked the sound of it. Didn't know it meant that, but I don't see it being much of a problem with the whole Hellfire Control thing. As for an IC reason, he'd remember it as the last thing said before he was forced to leave his home world.

Well, it could be a problem. I mean, how many people would be happy by being rescued by a fire-wielding dude who calls himself Satan?

If the name's supposed to be an alien word for some great destroyer, it might be better to make up something. Worked for the Klingons ;)

Oh! You mean no Power can be above Rank 13, right? Or is my Magic at 16 okay?

No, Magic 16 is fine, but he can't have any power that would put his Damage/Effect or Toughness over 13. So he could have Magic 16, and the Healing and Teleport. Area effect things are limited to his PL (so no more than 10 for those), so he cold have Cloud Area Hellfire Control 10 under Magic 16 (and even add 2 power feats to it).

And you may want to reconsider having Force Field in his Magic, since he can only use one effect at a time. If he's blasting someone, he can't have his field up.

Staff and Armor have nothing attached to them, other than the base stats in the Equipment Section.

If they're just Equipment, you can save points by just buying them as Equipment (i.e., via the Equipment feat). Equipment 2 would be enough for both (though Protection from Equipment-bought armor doesn't go over 4).

Also, why are his Communication, Mind Reading, and Mind Shield innate? Are they racial traits, too?

That would be Growth. Specifically, Growth 4 (Large; Extra: Duration/Continuous; Flaw: Permanent) [12pp]. 13pp if it's Innate (are all his people this size?)

Eh? The table on page 34 of the core book says I can buy myself up to Large size for 12 points...

Well, it could be a problem. I mean, how many people would be happy by being rescued by a fire-wielding dude who calls himself Satan?

If the name's supposed to be an alien word for some great destroyer, it might be better to make up something. Worked for the Klingons ;)

I dunno ... I really want to keep it despite its connotations. It'd be another obstacle for him to overcome, really. I find that kinda thing interesting.

No, Magic 16 is fine, but he can't have any power that would put his Damage/Effect or Toughness over 13. So he could have Magic 16, and the Healing and Teleport. Area effect things are limited to his PL (so no more than 10 for those), so he cold have Cloud Area Hellfire Control 10 under Magic 16 (and even add 2 power feats to it).

Cool. I'll tweak that.

And you may want to reconsider having Force Field in his Magic, since he can only use one effect at a time. If he's blasting someone, he can't have his field up.

Huh, didn't know that. Could've sworn you could switch to an Alternate Power as a free action. I'll change that, too.

If they're just Equipment, you can save points by just buying them as Equipment (i.e., via the Equipment feat). Equipment 2 would be enough for both (though Protection from Equipment-bought armor doesn't go over 4).

From what I understood, if I wanted to have them difficult to take from him, I'd need to take them as Devices, so I'd prefer to keep it that way. Plus, it's six and two threes when I look at it.

Also, why are his Communication, Mind Reading, and Mind Shield innate? Are they racial traits, too?

Yup.

Eh? The table on page 34 of the core book says I can buy myself up to Large size for 12 points...

Which is the same as Permanent Growth 4, as I spelled out above. And that needs to be listed under Powers. And have Innate if all his people are Large.

I dunno ... I really want to keep it despite its connotations. It'd be another obstacle for him to overcome, really. I find that kinda thing interesting.

Well, at the very least you would need to explain how the same word in two wildly different languages wind up meaning very similar things ;)

And it's going to be a very big obstacle to overcome. Others will probably call him "Hellhound".

Huh, didn't know that. Could've sworn you could switch to an Alternate Power as a free action. I'll change that, too.

You can, but you should only be able to switch the array once per round. So no "free action to shift from FF to Blast, standard action to Blast, then free action to switch back to FF, thus allowing you to keep the FF up when it's not your turn in the initiative order", as that is blatantly abusive and not what the structure is meant for.

From what I understood, if I wanted to have them difficult to take from him, I'd need to take them as Devices, so I'd prefer to keep it that way. Plus, it's six and two threes when I look at it.

No, Equipment can be Easy or Difficult to take, to -- a tactical vest (a piece of equipment granting Protection 4) is a hard to take piece of equipment. Only difference between Equipment and Devices are that Devices can do a lot more than Equipment ever can.

A staff is 4 equipment points. An armored jumpsuit is 3 equipment points. Together that's 7 equipment points, or Equipment 2 (10 equipment points) with 3 equipment points left over.

Which is the same as Permanent Growth 4, as I spelled out above. And that needs to be listed under Powers. And have Innate if all his people are Large.

Ah, okay. I'll tweak him to take that.

Well, at the very least you would need to explain how the same word in two wildly different languages wind up meaning very similar things ;)

And it's going to be a very big obstacle to overcome. Others will probably call him "Hellhound".

Hmm ... I'll see what I can come up with.

You can, but you should only be able to switch the array once per round. So no "free action to shift from FF to Blast, standard action to Blast, then free action to switch back to FF, thus allowing you to keep the FF up when it's not your turn in the initiative order", as that is blatantly abusive and not what the structure is meant for.

Ah, okay. I removed it anyway and probably buy it as a separate power later.

No, Equipment can be Easy or Difficult to take, to -- a tactical vest (a piece of equipment granting Protection 4) is a hard to take piece of equipment. Only difference between Equipment and Devices are that Devices can do a lot more than Equipment ever can.

A staff is 4 equipment points. An armored jumpsuit is 3 equipment points. Together that's 7 equipment points, or Equipment 2 (10 equipment points) with 3 equipment points left over.

Ah, okay. I was using the Points cost for Plate Mail, but I'll go with the jumpsuit instead and spend those last three points.

Do remember that Growth will give him some attribute bonuses -- Growth 4 gives +8 to Str and +4 to Con. So right now, he effectively has a Str of 18/+4 and a Con of 18/+4; with the Armored Jumpsuit, that gives him a Toughness of +7.

You'll also need a very good justification for having absolutely no point on Base Attack or Defense Bonus.

Do remember that Growth will give him some attribute bonuses -- Growth 4 gives +8 to Str and +4 to Con. So right now, he effectively has a Str of 18/+4 and a Con of 18/+4; with the Armored Jumpsuit, that gives him a Toughness of +7.

You'll also need a very good justification for having absolutely no point on Base Attack or Defense Bonus.

I did buy up his Defense a bit, but I tweaked it a bit more to remove the stat bonuses (so his attributes are as I previously mentioned) and shifted them to even out his Attack and give him more Defense. Anything else?

A bit more background would be nice. What did he do before he was shot off into space? What did he want to do with his life before all this happened? Or was he shot off as a baby, like Kal-El of Krypton?

Also, is he really the wielder of the Green Flames of Disaster? If so, how do they have Healing? If not, then just what does he have?

With a 'natural' Str of 2 (and +8 from his Growth), he's probably extremely scrawny. Is that the "unusual build" mentioned in his Complications?

His Grapple would be +6 -- +2 BAB, +4 from size.

Also, his Fort and Ref saves are off.

Oh, and if you could alphabetize his powers, it'd be appreciated :)

What did he want to do with his life before all this happened? Or was he shot off as a baby, like Kal-El of Krypton?

Also, is he really the wielder of the Green Flames of Disaster? If so, how do they have Healing? If not, then just what does he have?

It clearly implies that he was shot off late in his life/very very recently.

And his powers make sense. It's not a 'Green Flames of Disaster' array, it's a 'Magic' array, likely spiritual power magic, and the hellfire is just 'spiritual fire', called hell fire because that's what the book calls it.

It clearly implies that he was shot off late in his life/very very recently.

And his powers make sense. It's not a 'Green Flames of Disaster' array, it's a 'Magic' array, likely spiritual power magic, and the hellfire is just 'spiritual fire', called hell fire because that's what the book calls it.

I was citing the one widely-known example of "strange visitor shot from their doomed planet". And there was nothing in the history indicating it was "late in his life," or anything referencing his age at all, except the last line saying he was enrolling in Claremont. But that could be because he looks like a teen.

His powers don't make sense if he's wielding what everyone IC calls "the Fires of Destruction" and there's Healing it. Yes, ULTIMATE POWER calls the power "Hellfire", and also says that the same build can be used to mimic non-evil "spiritual fire" builds, but in that case it wouldn't be called "Hellfire" it'd be called "Holy Fire" or somesuch (like what Mongrel Angel has). However, his recent edit indicating that it's just one alien race who calls it the "Flames of Disaster," but his own knows of it as a Messianic gift, does mean the Healing in it makes sense.

And Warr, while we appreciate your enthusiasm, it's easier if we keep the posts in the character threads limited to the character's creator and the Referees. If you see something incorrect on a sheet, you can PM the player or Ref directly to help out.

Nalerenn, the stats look okay now (though I would point out that his Cloud Area Hellfire Blast could be at rank 10 if you wanted, and all his Blasts could have more PFs on them), but I do want to warn you: with nothing in saves, and with being effectively PL 7 as far as Defense/Toughness goes, you'll likely be in some pain when up against other PL 10 characters (and even the PL 6 ones may give Ignis a run for his money). You sure you're okay with that?

Yup. I see it more as a spot of character development as he comes to recognize how things happen on this planet and, as such, grows more and more used to them. Think of it as visiting a foreign country for the first time and trying to speak their language, only worse.

Astral Projection is a separate power, as far as I know. It's the one that lets you shift to the Astral Plane.

As for the separate thing, it's a case of six and two threes, as far as I can tell. The cost of Telepathy is the same as Communication and Mind Reading. Plus, I couldn't get the Area and Selective extras/feats if I bought them separately, as far as I know.

Astral Projection is a separate power, as far as I know. It's the one that lets you shift to the Astral Plane.

Sorta. The effect, powers-wise, is Communication (mental) + ESP (all senses). You're not going to the astral plane (that would be Super-Movement [dimensional]), you're just separating you mind/soul/astral self form your body; it remains in the same plane.

As for the separate thing, it's a case of six and two threes, as far as I can tell. The cost of Telepathy is the same as Communication and Mind Reading. Plus, I couldn't get the Area and Selective extras/feats if I bought them separately, as far as I know.

I honestly don't see why you couldn't have something like Telepathy 6 (20 miles; Extra: Area on Communication; PFs: Innate, Selective for Communication) for 20pp.

Do be aware, though, that Extras are always on, unlike Power Feats. That is, if you have Area Communication, it will always be done as an Area thing. Though the Selective PF does counter that. This is important to be aware of in case something ever happens to that Selective PF.

Sorta. The effect, powers-wise, is Communication (mental) + ESP (all senses). You're not going to the astral plane (that would be Super-Movement [dimensional]), you're just separating you mind/soul/astral self form your body; it remains in the same plane.

Weird. The power I'm looking at right now in UP is Astral Form. Doesn't mention any of that. I do find it a bit odd you say to me to take Mind Reading and Communication as Telepathy, but them split Astral Form into separate bits. Especially when it's listed as a different power, but meh. I'll stick with it as it currently is.

I honestly don't see why you couldn't have something like Telepathy 6 (20 miles; Extra: Area on Communication; PFs: Innate, Selective for Communication) for 20pp.

Do be aware, though, that Extras are always on, unlike Power Feats. That is, if you have Area Communication, it will always be done as an Area thing. Though the Selective PF does counter that. This is important to be aware of in case something ever happens to that Selective PF.

I'll keep it as-is, as well. I specifically want the Mind Reading to be single-target, but the Communication to be selective within an area.

Weird. The power I'm looking at right now in UP is Astral Form. Doesn't mention any of that. I do find it a bit odd you say to me to take Mind Reading and Communication as Telepathy, but them split Astral Form into separate bits. Especially when it's listed as a different power, but meh. I'll stick with it as it currently is.

Yeah, it does. The 'summary box' at the very beginning says "Effect: Communication and ESP", and nowhere in the description of the power does it say anything about you actually traveling to the Astral Plane. It says is "you separate your astral form from your physical body," but nothing about the astral form going to some other plane. It says you can communicate with other intelligent beings (Communication [mental]), and your astral form has your visual, auditory, and mental senses but while out you are unaware of your physical body (ESP, visual + 2 senses).

Then again, the lil' sidebar describing the Astral Plane, as well as the entries in Book of Magic and Worlds of Freedom, all do seem to say that you can reach the Astral Plane via Astral Form, since it co-exists with the material plane. But, even so, it's not really Dimensional Super-Movement, because A) your body's staying behind, and, more importantly, B) people on the Material Plane don't need the Dimensional power feat to affect Astral Forms, they just need Affects Insubstantial; they don't need Dimensional ESP to sense astral forms, just Mental or Mystic Awareness.

I'll keep it as-is, as well. I specifically want the Mind Reading to be single-target, but the Communication to be selective within an area.

Which is exactly what can be done with the build I showed.

Why not roll all two/three into one (possibly Dynamic) Array?

Yeah, it does. The 'summary box' at the very beginning says "Effect: Communication and ESP", and nowhere in the description of the power does it say anything about you actually traveling to the Astral Plane. It says is "you separate your astral form from your physical body," but nothing about the astral form going to some other plane. It says you can communicate with other intelligent beings (Communication [mental]), and your astral form has your visual, auditory, and mental senses but while out you are unaware of your physical body (ESP, visual + 2 senses).

Then again, the lil' sidebar describing the Astral Plane, as well as the entries in Book of Magic and Worlds of Freedom, all do seem to say that you can reach the Astral Plane via Astral Form, since it co-exists with the material plane. But, even so, it's not really Dimensional Super-Movement, because A) your body's staying behind, and, more importantly, B) people on the Material Plane don't need the Dimensional power feat to affect Astral Forms, they just need Affects Insubstantial; they don't need Dimensional ESP to sense astral forms, just Mental or Mystic Awareness.

I'm not sure. Astral Form does mention Mental Grapples in there, as well as becoming visible at will, but none of that seems to be covered in Communication and ESP, unless I'm missing something.

Which is exactly what can be done with the build I showed.

Why not roll all two/three into one (possibly Dynamic) Array?

Because that'd lower my Mind Reading to 6 as well. I want that at ten, and doing what you said would lower it to 6.

I'm not sure. Astral Form does mention Mental Grapples in there, as well as becoming visible at will, but none of that seems to be covered in Communication and ESP, unless I'm missing something.

True, but none of those are covered by Super-Movement (Dimensional), either. ;)

The core effect of Astral Form is "your mind is elsewhere, you can scout out distant places & communicate with people far away while your body lies insensate". Aside from a few minor bells & whistles (like how others can attack your astral form with Affects Incorporeal attacks, something not normally possible with regular ESP), that's exactly what Communication + ESP does.

Because that'd lower my Mind Reading to 6 as well. I want that at ten, and doing what you said would lower it to 6.

No, it wouldn't.

Astral Form 4 (1 mile; PFs: Innate, Dynamic, 2 Dynamic APs) [26pp]

DAP: Communication 6 (Mental, 20 miles; Extra: Area; PF: Selective)

DAP: Mind Reading 10

Look, I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but I don't want to change it, okay? I know you're trying to help me squeeze out a few more points, but I built the character this way for a reason. I'd rather be able to say 'I have Astral Form and it does this' than have to go looking up the rules on two or three separate powers. I don't see why you want these changes at all and, to be honest, I don't want to change them. They look fine to me and a lot easier to find the rules for in the book. I know Astral Form has a communication, but it's not the same as his Telepathy, or I would've built him that way. That's also why I have three Hellfire Control powers as APs for Magic, because they're systematically different. His Astral Form isn't innate, but his telepathy is.