Comprehend Languages Spell

Aragon1888

I had actually intended to have Raven have this from the beginning; somehow I let it slip through the cracks. Basically, I want her to have a Comprehend Languages spell. Two potential issues: the effect is Continuous, and I know that can create some problems as an Alternate Power (this would be part of Magic). My intention is that it would not be in effect if Raven was using or used any other Magic effect as per the rules for an Array, but I'm certainly open to taking the duration down to Sustained if that will make it easier. Also, I would like the spell to allow Raven to read any language as well; does that require a different effect, does it not exist, or can I just do it for a 5th rank of Comprehend languages? Thanks

Sustained would work, and makes some sense -- Sustained powers require a modicum of concentration (i.e., have to be able to use a free action), and that sounds about right for a Comprehend spell.

However, since you couldn't use Comprehend when unable to take a free action anyway, reducing it from Continuous to Sustained shouldn't be worth a full Flaw. (In fact, I wonder why they didn't have it as a Sustained effect by default.)

But, with Mystic Raven's Magic 12, she could easily get Comprehend 4 (languages [speak all languages simultaneously, understand all spoken languages, read all languages]) in there as an AP very easily. Heck, she could even throw in other Comprehend effects, like animals or plants or objects (for things like rocks & stones).

I'd say that writing any language would be as costly as being able to speak an language -- one rank lets you write any language, but only one at a time; two ranks lets you write in a script that everyone who views it (and can read) sees it as being written in their native language/script.

That sounds reasonable; here would be my other question then. Would I need to take anything extra to use the "lesser" versions? For instance, even though I have the ability to speak in any language and be understood, if I wanted everyone to hear, say, Spanish, whether they could understand Spanish or not, can I do that? The same with writing, as well

Would I need to take anything extra to use the "lesser" versions? For instance, even though I have the ability to speak in any language and be understood, if I wanted everyone to hear, say, Spanish, whether they could understand Spanish or not, can I do that? The same with writing, as well

I don't see why not -- it'd be effectively holding back a few ranks of the power.

I was going to disagree and recommend the additional cost of a Feat (like Precise or Selective) to get that kind of flexibility, but I've gone back and read the descriptions for Comprehend Languages a few times now (both Core and UP) and I can't figure out the functional difference between 2 and 3 ranks of Comprehend. However, since it's an AP off of your Magic 12, I don't think cost is a real issue as long as the GM is fully cognizant of the details.

but I've gone back and read the descriptions for Comprehend Languages a few times now (both Core and UP) and I can't figure out the functional difference between 2 and 3 ranks of Comprehend.

With Comprehend Languages 2, you can either:

Speak all languages, but only one at a time, and understand all languages at once

OR

Speak all languages simultaneously (whenever you speak people would hear you in their own native tongue; the Star Trek Universal Translator effect), but you will not be able to understand any more than you could normally

Comprehend 3 lets you speak all & understand all simultaneously.

The only power which specifically notes that you can't use lower ranks of the power on their own without an AP is Insubstantial. You're always able to use a lower rank of a power otherwise, unless you have the Full Power drawback (which wouldn't be a drawback on Comprehend anyway).