• 1 month later...

1. Where is your hero from?
The Weston District, Vibora Bay.

2. How would your hero physically describe him/herself? Is this different from how others would?
Strong, powerfully built and muscular, with a winning smile. Others would probably describe him somewhat the same.

3. Does your hero have distinguishing speech characteristics or recurring mannerisms?
He tends to use Creole words and phrases at times.

4. What is your hero's motivation?
To protect others, and take care of his brother.

5. What are your hero's greatest strengths and weaknesses?
He can take any hit and keep going, but he rarely plans ahead.

6. What does your hero love? What does your hero hate?
Marcus loves his brother John and to protect others. He hates killers and those that would hurt others.

7. How would you describe your character's mental and emotional state?
Stable.

8. What does your hero fear the most?
Failing those he protects.

9. What is your character's greatest ambition?
To keep Vibora Bay safe and defeat the Mayombe for good.

10. How does your hero feel about the state of the world and his/her place in it?
It could be better, and Marcus works to make it better through his work and spreading his wealth.

11. Does your hero have any prejudices? How does he/she get along with others?
Not a fan of those that would use Voodou and the loa for evil, but otherwise, he at least tries to get along with everyone else.

12. Where do your heroes loyalties lie? In what order?
His brother and friends, the people of Vibora Bay, then the city itself.

13. Does your hero have a lover or partner? How do they feel about the hero now?
No, he doesn't.

14. Does your hero have a family? What is the relationship there like?
His parents died in 2009, and his grandmother Nana Dee died before that. Since then, he has been taking care of and supporting his younger brother John, with them having a good relationship.

15. How would the people closest to your hero describe him or her?
Friendly, affable, heroic.

16. Is your hero a role model?
He tries to be.

17. How spiritual is your hero? Does your hero follow a relgious tradition?
He was told tales of the loa as young, and his bond to Ogoun means that he knows that the loa are real, which has caused him to grow at least a bit more spiritual than he used to be.

18. Is your hero part of a team, or would he/she like to be? Why?
Yes, a newly formed team from Vibora Bay.

19. How does your hero feel about the place of metahumans and aliens on Earth?
He doesn't think much about it, to be honest.

20. If you could give one piece of advice to your hero, what would it be?
You need to learn to plan ahead instead of just rushing in.

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

I am Marcus Dumont, Cheval, hero of Vibora bay!

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Once, when I was a boxer, I was known as the Iron Horse!

What is your full birth name?

Marcus Dumont.

Where do you live?

Vibora Bay, Florida.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

29, born 1990.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Male.

How would you describe your heritage?

My family is descended from slaves brought to the United States from Africa from the Ivory Coast in Africa.

How tall are you?

6'3'' normally, but I become 7' when possessed by the power of Ogoun.

What is your body type?

Muscular, tall and strong.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

I am allergic to penicilin.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

With power and confidence. I am here to help, and I am happy to let everyone know.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

Dark brown skin, black eyes and beard. I keep my hair shaved.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

Shaved. I have a carefully maintained beard.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I doubt I would win any beauty contests, but I have heard others compliment me.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

I have scars on my face and body, from my time spent boxing and as a hero.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

I am someone famous!

Do you have a dominant hand?

Right.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Dress shirts and slacks. I prefer them to be red and black respectively, and black ties. I have to stay on brand, after all.

Do you wear makeup?

No.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

Baritone.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

I sometimes mix Creole in with my English without really thinking about it.

History

Where do you come from?

I was born and raised in the Weston in Vibora Bay.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

None.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

I am for the people, not the government.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

I love Vibora Bay.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Vibora Bay is in Florida. It is a mix of new and old, wealth and poverty, like I imagine any other place to be.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

I was just one of the many kids on the street.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Took a while to realize, but I'm a born fighter. I'm just good at it. It made both my life and that of my brother better, as I found fame and wealth.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

My parents died in a car accident when I was 19, and since then I have been taking care of my younger brother, John.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

I was sitting in Nana Dee's house, as she was telling about Ogoun, the God of Iron. There was just something in the tale that sparked something inside me.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I got in a lot of fights for no good reason.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

A small, underfunded public school in Weston, Vibora Bay. I went through High School, but never pursued anything beyond that.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

No, they were all lost in Hurricane Katrina.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

I was given a choice by Papa Legba and Ogoun. Save my brother, use the power they gave me for good. How could I refuse?

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

No, I see no reason to hide the truth.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

No.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

I am not quite as bombastic in private as I present myself.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

I am a simple man, I have no secrets.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

No.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Michael and Gabrielle.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yes, with plenty of help from my grandmother Nana Dee.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

Father worked as a cook in a diner, mother in a grocery store. They were well liked, but nothing special in the community.

Where are your parents now?

They died in a car crash in 2009.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We stayed the same place in Weston my entire life.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

They loved me, and we got along well, even if they seemed to higher have higher hopes for John.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

I hope they'd be proud of me for taking care of John and doing what I can to protect the community and give back to it.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

John's my younger brother. I've been taking care of him since our parents died, and I think we got a good relationship.

What was your birth order in the family?

First son.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

John's studying at Univerity of Florida Vibora Bay, but we stay in touch. Not far from home, after all. He's got a girlfriend, but we haven't met yet.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

We stay in touch, meeting when we can.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

No.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Nana Dee taught me much about the Loa, which ended up saving me.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

No.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Not as far as I'm aware.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

No.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

I would like to have a partner and children some day, but I'm not in a rush. Now, I'm a fighter and a hero, and I'm well aware how that could affect any relationship.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

I honestly don't know! Someone strong, kind and passionate, I think.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

My agent Francis Brown has been my best friends for years. He discovered my skills and sponsored me through my training. Now he's managing sponsorships, charity work and appearances. He can be gruff, but he means well.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

John, my brother. We have been through much together, and we remain very close to this day.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

I am a hero of Vibora Bay, and I have done much for its people! I would hope that everyone would worry about me!

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

I have had brief loves, none that lasted long. Many liked me, few liked dating a man that got beat up to earn money. Some have tried getting back in touch since I gained my powers, but I've no interest in that.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

The Mayombe tried to sacrifice my brother, and I interrupted their ritual. I would believe that they would want revenge.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

They are a cult, in contact with the darkest loa and with strange hybrids among their ranks. I have no way of knowing just what they will do.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Kidnapped my brother and tried to sacrifice him.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

My brother and friends, the people of Vibora Bay, then the city itself.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

My brother, John. How could I not?

Who or what do you despise? Why?

The Mayombe, and those that would harm innocents.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Heroism, kindness, self-sacrifice, refusal to give up. I at least hope I embody those qualities.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Pettiness, being willing to harm others, for whatever reason.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

No, my first outing was rather public, ruining any chance of maintaining it as a secret.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I work well with others, I think, but I am well aware that my power is to punch, rather than to lead.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

I have joined the official municipal defenders of Vibora Bay, alongside Persephone and the Speed Demon, and with several members working together in an unofficial capacity. So far, we are getting along, but the team is still new. For now, they have earned my trust.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

No, but I do charity work and donate both time and money to help the people of my city.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Muhammad Ali, the greatest boxer in the world, as far as I'm concerned.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

No, I did not.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

Yes, I love being able to help others and keep them safe.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I would never switch sides. If age and pain catches up with me, it would be better to stop than risk failing someone.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Continue protecting Vibora Bay, to grow in skill and power, hopefully help keep our new team together.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Still fighting the good fight, preferably having stopped the Mayombe for good, and having helped Vibora Bay ascend to new heights.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Failing to protect someone in my care. I steel myself and fight on, but it weighs on me.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

To protect someone else.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

Growing up, I had little, and my growing fame and wealth is, admittedly, a nice bonus. I do my best to share my wealth and status, giving liberally to those in need of both my time and money. As long as I can get by, I am fine, as long as I can help my community.

How do you generally treat others?

With respect and a smile.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

I believe in trusting someone, till they prove otherwise. I have been failed before, but I refuse to let that change me.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I am very much an extrovert, with much self-confidence.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I am always on my best behaviour around the ladies.

What are your most annoying habits?

I have a habit of cracking my knuckles, which others have commented upon. I will rush headfirst into battle to buy others time, even if it would be better to stay back.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

No.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Anything from Creole and Cajun cuisine. I believe most would expect me to simply throw food in my mouth and swallow, but I take my time. My mother taught me proper table manners, after all.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Rum.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Banana Rum Sunda.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

I am not fond of broccoli or cauliflower. Childish, I know.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

Red, and no.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

Jazz is the best, I am not a fan of country.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

I don't.

Do you have a favorite animal?

I am fond of cats and dogs.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

A ring my brother gave me as a gift after my tenth professional victory.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I like my comforts, but I have no problems with the outdoors.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Not if it was for a good cause, no.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

I didn't use to be, but it is difficult not to grow somewhat spiritual when connected to a loa. It is part of me and who I am, but there are other parts that are more important.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Yes, by Nana Dee, and Papa Legba and Ogoun themselves.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

I do not formally belong to any religious organizations.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I haven't, but I could, if it needed to be done to protect others.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

The life of one evil man, or the life of all that he would kill the moment I let him go? What kind of choice is that?

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

A situation where if I don't, innocents will die.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

It all depends on the situation. For a friend with a good cause, I would try to comfort the killer. For an enemy, or someone that killed just to kill, I would stop them.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

In the past, I have chased down thieves myself!

How would you react to public humiliation?

Not well, but I'd try to keep my dignity. I have worked hard to win the trust of the people.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I grieved my parents' death. I would grieve again, but not blame anyone if it was an accident. On purpose, I would hunt the killer down so they could face justice.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

To kill, to maim, to violate. No one should die to a killer, and no one should be hurt for life.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

I'm not much of a planner, and I cannot think of five, but I would spend my day with my brother and the people, doing all I could to spread some smiles on last time.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

I used to be a boxer. I was a natural, but I had extensive training, and before I gained my powers, it was only a matter of time before I would've gotten a shot at the championship title.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

My powers came with an understanding of how they work, to a degree, so in a way, Ogoun taught me most. At times he speaks to me, but it is rare, so I wouldn't say we have much of a relationship, but I respect him. He is, after all, above all this.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

Not beyond my boxing skills, no.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I used to be a boxer, but that's in the past. Now, sponsorships supports me.

What is your preferred combat style?

Take the hits and punch back. Use what I know from boxing.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Not as such.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

Tactics, planning, those would be good. For now, I leave it to those that are better at such things.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I try to learn from them, if we have the time.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Wake up, eat breakfast, and then either attend anything that my agent has set up, walk the streets to spend time among the people, react to any crisis. I usually eat alone, with my agent or my brother. The routine is often interrupted by something that need me, and I will always answer the call.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

I do charity work, both appearances and donations. It seems right to give back to the community.

What do you do for fun?

Partying, card games. Spending time with my brother.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

Of course, I have to stay on brand for the fans! The costume is a dark red and black bodysuit, which leaves my arms and face exposed. No need to hide my identity, after all. While primarily dark red, the suit is black on my sides, from under my arms and stretching to my feet. I wear black boots with dark red soles. The upper part of the costume is in a black down pointing triangle that reaches my solar plexus, leaving a red stripe between the black triangle and the black parts of the costume on my side.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

I prefer dark pants, red dress shirts and black ties. Again, the whole brand. Nice shoes, if possible.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Boxers.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

No, it would break when I change.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

I have a safe in my home.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Public transit, if possible. Long distance, I prefer trains, though I often have to take planes.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

No, but perhaps I should. As I have mentioned, I am not much of a planner.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

None that I know of.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

Being a hero and keeping others safe.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

My powers could be dangerous in the wrong hands, but no, I do not believe I am a threat. I am sworn to protect the innocent, not harm them.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

I can take any hit, and punch back just as hard.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

I am not a great planner or thinker. I hit things, I defeat them, but others are better suited for figuring out how to do it.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

You need to learn to plan ahead instead of just rushing in, and get the right balance between celebrity and being a hero.

CHEVAL

Deal at the Crossroads

---

All Marcus Dumont could see were mists. All around him, he was surrounded, nothing else to do. He tried to raise a hand over his eyes, shielding them from the non-existent sun, trying to spot just anything.

How had it all come to this? John had disappeared when the hurricane Michael had hit, and Marcus had spent weeks searching for him. He finally did, and then he was in the hands of some strange Voodou cult with strange snake-men hybrids. They were singing, songs that he remembered from his childhood, songs that Nana Dee had taught him. He recognized the song, they were trying to get Papa Legba. Did any of that make sense? No, of course it didn't, but neither did snake-men, and from what everything he could see, John was their offering. He should have run for help. Francis, the cops, anyone really. But of course he hadn't. He was Marcus Dumont, the Iron Horse! He had charged in, fought them, and been brought low by their numbers, before the old woman that called herself Lady Mamba started the ritual. Even as they tied him up, Marcus grinned at the thought of how many he had stopped.

The shadows of great trees appeared in the mist, casting shadows all over. Below his feet, Marcus could see roads, leading in four directions. The crossroads. He remembered now. Getting his arm free, interrupting the ritual, calling out with a bottle of rum held high. It was still in his hand now, even if he hadn't even realized it until now.

"You have some nerve, interruping Lady Mamba's ritual like that. You some kinda fighter or something?" the voice of an old man called out from the ever thinning mists. Of course Marcus turned in the direction. Of course he already knew who it was. Who else could be here, at the crossroads? The old man with the crutch and a broad brimmed straw hat sat on the large roots of one of the trees that stretched into the sky around them. He had a pipe at the edge of his mouth, his lips splits into a large smile. Papa Legba removed the pipe from his mouth and blew a few smoke rings, before he addressed Marcus again. "So, why did you call out to me? What boon do you ask of Papa Legba? And would you offer in return, fighter?"

How do you respond when a loa, a god asks what you want? With truth or with lies? With false modesty to appease him, or with bravado to let him know that you are not afraid of his response to what you need?

Marcus was not the kind of man to think things through, no. He had no time for that. The Mayombe was willing to kill him and his brother to get what they wanted. He was a fighter, not a thinker. Of course he gave the direct response. He was never one for subterfuge.

"In this moment, the Mayombe are preparing to offer the lives of my brother and I to gain the favor of Dinclinsin and Mademoiselle Charlotte, Papa Legba! We need your help! I need your help!"

The old man seemed amused, a playful smile running over his lips as he placed the pipe back in his mouth, then made a circular motion with his right hand, indicating for Marcus to continue.

"I need the power to save us! The power to stop Lady Mamba and the Mayombe! I am a strong man, but I need more! I must be strong enough to protect all that need me on this night!"

Marcus' heart was pounding in his chest. Even he knew that making demands of the loa were a dangerous game, even if he was answering the questions of the old man at the crossroads. To think that they were real after all, and that he was talking with Papa Legba. Part of him wondered if Nana Dee had ever been here.

He held the bottle of rum in his hand high, then lowered it, holding it out to Papa Legba. "I need all this, but all I can offer is myself, and this bottle of rum. Standing here before you, that is all I have to give."

The old man smiled, and held out his hand. "Hand it over, then. I shouldn't be doing this, y'know. Its a small offer you're making, but the Mayombe are bad news. Can't let Dinclinsin or the Mademoiselle get their own chevals in your world, can I now? Not without someone to stop them, at least." Taking the bottle of rum in one hand, he waved his other hand. "Talk to Ogoun. Convince him. I've done my part here."

When Marcus looked up, the old man was gone. In his place stood a large man in a red sash, leaning both hands on a sword firmly planted in the ground. "Ogoun." Marcus could barely say the words. Ogoun's visage was stern, but there was something in his eyes, something that gave Marcus just a hint of hope. "So you seek my help, fighter?" Papa Legba had been one thing. A loa, but hardly intimidating, at least not if you simply looked at him. Ogoun was something else. Even to Marcus, who had stood before men twice his size and won, Ogoun was intimidating. He fought through the fear, and he gave his answer. "Yes. You heard what I need and why. Will you help me?"

For a moment, Ogoun was silent. Then, he laughed. A deep, rumbling laughter. "You're brave, if nothing else! Fine, I will help you, but there will be conditions! I will make you my cheval! I will ride you, giving you the power you need to save everyone! The power to become like a god of iron!" He paused, raising his hand, pointing a finger at Marcus' chest. "Use the power for good! Use it to enact justice! Use it to protect everyone, and I will be by your side! Do you accept, Marcus Dumont?"

Did he have a choice? "Yes."

Ogoun's smiled. "Then sing my song! Say the words that you know in your heart, fighter! Become my cheval!"

Of course he knew the words. Nana Dee had taught him.

"I am iron! I am covered with iron!"

And as the Crossroads faded before Marcus' eyes and the Mayombe ritual appeared, he heard his voice shouting the words, as his hand, raised to the skin, became like iron before his very eyes!

Edited by RocketLord