Claremont Academy: Taking Attendance 2019-2020

Gizmo

2019 - 2020 Claremont Academy School Year begins September 4th!

Dear Parent, Guardian or Mentor Figure,

Congratulations to your child or ward on being admitted to the upcoming school year at Claremont Academy! We couldn't be more excited to welcome them into our proud legacy of academic excellence, practical experience and community service.

The semester will begin on Wednesday, September 4th. Dormitory move-in dates begin one week prior on Wednesday, August 28th. Below you will find a list of supplies each student will be expected to bring with them, along with a list of those provided by the Academy including toiletries, dormitory furniture and active wear to be used during our award winning physical fitness programs. Financial aid is of course available to students attending on scholarship and we offer meal plans to suit all needs. Our administrative offices will have been in touch by now regarding any dietary restrictions, allergies, atmospheric requirements, etc. See the enclosed contact information for any further inquiries.

Claremont Academy has long been home to students of both exceptional ability and exceptional circumstances. While students should be prepared to work hard developing their talents and learning invaluable real world skills they can also look forward to a welcoming community of peers with their own unique perspectives and experiences. Orientation will cover movie nights, extracurricular clubs, our expanded intramural league and other activities. These are the friendships which will last a lifetime.

Welcome to Claremont Academy!

Beneath of the Headmistress' signature in a pen running out of ink someone has scrawled: WHO IS THE UNKNOWN STUDENT OF ROOM 404?!

Make a note in the day planner you picked up from the registrar's office, it's time for a new school year! In preparation, each player with a new or returning student who will be attending Claremont this year should post below with appropriate survey for their character:

RETURNING STUDENTS

Name:

Codename:

Year: Sophomore, Junior or Senior

Pronouns:

Current Intramural Team:

Current Roommate: If both roommates from last year are still active characters they'll most likely be paired together again! If you have an in-character or out-of-character reason to want to switch things up you can send a Ref a private message on the Discord server.

Reflection: What goals does the character have after last year? What did they think they did well and what were they disappointed with?

School Club: What club would they like to see and join at Claremont? Yearbook Committee? Drama Club? School Band? Extradimensional Birdwatching Club? Please, no roleplaying game club, that leads only to a meta spiral from which there is no return!

NEW STUDENTS

Name:

Codename:

Year: Sophomore, Junior or Senior

Pronouns:

Prospective Roommate: If two players want their characters to be rooming together in the dormitories let us know here! You can also say if you'd prefer an NPC roommate or if your character won't be staying in the dormitories during the school year. Otherwise we'll match up unassigned PCs!

Goal: Where does your character see themselves upon graduating from Claremont? Do they have a role model they want to live up to or a situation they'd like to change for the better?

Favourite YA Fiction Novel: That's Young Adult, donchano. This can be a real world novel or an in-universe title. Include what they love about it! Remember, this is the character's favourite, not necessarily what the player would pick themselves!

• Gizmo pinned this topic

Name: Adam Lanchester

Codename: Specimen

Year: Junior

Current Intramural Team:  Blue Team

Current Roommate: Unknown yet

Reflection: He had excellent grades, got himself a girlfriend and made lots of friends. He wants to improve the mastery of his powers. 

School Club:  He'd love to join a book club, or something. He has no idea. 

Edited by Thunder King

Name: XVIII Felix Century

Codename: Legatus

Year: Sophomore

PronounsHe/Him/His?

Prospective Roommate: 

Goal: Felix isn't entirely sure what he wants from his future. He thinks he might go into genetics, using the knowledge he gained in his youth in helping people, but he's not sure. He'll probably go on to Freedom University.

Favourite YA Fiction Novel: Really, Felix should get out to read more fiction. At the moment, he isn't really sure what's "in." Dr. Syagrius was big into historical fiction, so that's what he's most familiar with. Lux Invicta, by Shaytana, was a favorite when he was still in the lab.

Name:  Claude "C.J." Jergens

Codename: Gnomon

Year: Senior 

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Roommate: Nicolas Brown AKA Vox

Goals: Try to enjoy this second chance as much as possible and prove to Doctor Tomorrow that he is worthy to be a fully fledged Guardian of Time.

Favorite YA Fiction Novel:  Time Salvager by Wesley Chu. He still doesn't know all the exact reasons why Doc gave it to him, but Claude still treasures the gift from his mentor. 

Edited by Semi-Autogyro

Name: Judy Smith

Codename: Daystar (Proverbs 4:18) 

PronounsShe/her 

Current Intramural Team: Blue Team

Current Roommate: Watchdog, my loving sister. 

Reflection: A lot of the things I learned before I came here are wrong - but a lot of them were even more true than I thought they were! I'm glad Claremont has taught me about having real friends, and knowing what the real monsters in the dark are like. This year I want to learn how to be more confident about myself. Having powers made my life worse - but maybe I can use them to make things better for other people. 

School Club: I like the clubs I'm already in - the Youth Group and the GSA both have lots of nice people in them. What we really need is a good Debate Team!

Favourite YA Fiction Novel: The Fault in Our Stars

Name: Ashley Smith 

Codename: Watchdog 

Pronouns: She/her 

Current Intramural Team: Blue Team

Current Roommate: Daystar 

Reflection: Listen, who's even reading this crap? All right this past year was the worst. You want to hear me say it? THE WORST. And that is all I am writing down till I know who is seeing this. 

School Club: Fight Club. Or maybe shop class, so people can actually learn how to do a $(#Iing job when they graduate from here. 

Favourite YA Fiction Novel: Harry Potter. I'm a Hufflepuff

Name: Janus Danger

Codename: None!

Pronouns: They/Them

Current Intramural Team: 

Current RoommateVeronica Danger

Reflection: I spent a lot of last year grieving for the home that I left. I want to spend this year looking forward and becoming more comfortable in who I am here.

School Club: Drama Club or Choir, maybe Band

Name: Davyd “Dayv” Palahniuk

(Technically a returning student, as he started Claremont late April 2018.)

Codename: Horrorshow

Year: Junior in 2019/2020 year (should graduate Spring 2021)

Pronouns: He/him/his

Current Intramural Team: Unassigned

Current/Prospective Roommate: Unassigned.  Adam/Specimen could make for some interesting drama (since Dayv has a crush on Lulu, Adam's girlfriend), but he & OctoLad Octoman would get along like two squids in a pod.

Reflection: I had a few slip-ups with my powers over the summer, so I'm going to try focusing on getting those under better control.

School Club: Drama Club, Yearbook

Goals: Learn how to be a hero, make friends, be more assertive, learn control of powers (with training from Grimalkin and Miss Grue).  Torn between going to FSU (for drama) or HIT (for biology/zoology).

Favourite YA Fiction Novel: The CHERUB Series (by Robert Muchamore), a series about children being trained as counter-terrorist agents (because no on suspects children!).  Wait, what are these Animorphs you speak of?

Edited by Dr Archeville

Name:  Heroditus Fabricus Stylianos

Codename: Artificer

Year: Sophomore in 2019/2020 year (should graduate Spring 2022)

Pronouns: He/him/his

Prospective Roommate: Unknown.  Octoman & he have similar environmental preferences, but he'd think the Tentacle'd Teen is a hideous freak.  He likes the sound of this Adam/Specimen fellow, he seems quiet and studious.

Goal: Possibly back to Atlantis, or to HIT (to learn more about Surface Worlder technology), or some other schools ("What do you mean there are no magic colleges up here?! What, is it all one-on-one apprenticeships up here?")

Favourite YA Fiction Novel:  The Harry Potter series.  "What do you mean, this is fiction?!"

RETURNING STUDENT

Name:  Kameron 'Kam' Kingdom (Real ID Prince Kamau of Dakana

Codename:  Red Lynx

Year: Senior

Pronouns: He/Him

Current Intramural Team: Red Squad

Current Roommate: Leroy Remilikun Ransom-Conte (Sun Dragon)

Reflection: Kam learned and improved personally much last year but did not step out of his comfort zone or connect with many people he didn't know before.  He'd like to forge stronger bonds with fellow students and Freedom Locals as well.

School Club: Debate Club, Mock Trial, Model UN

RETURNING STUDENTS

Name: Pan Barrie (Real ID: Pan)

Codename: Forever Boy

Pronouns: He/him/

Current Intramural Team: Blue Squad

Current Roommate: Micah Roebuck (Thunderbird)

Reflection: Have even more adventures with his fellow students! I made so many friends in the last year, and we had such wonderful adventures! Only thing I was disappointed with was not finding any way home, but I got time.

School Club: Youth Group, drama club. Could we get an adventure club?

RETURNING STUDENTS

Name: Danica Holmes 

Codename: Chelone

Year:  Sophmore, Part Deux! 

Current Intramural Team:  Green Team

Current Roommate: None yet, her roommate graduated! They better like it warm, though! 

Reflection: Danica wants to do a better job being part of a superhero teamup! She did okay in her actual encounters with "villains," but her training usually ended up with her being more like luggage. She wants to figure out how to use a hoverboard!

School Club: Extradimensional birdwatching club sounds like fun! She's in! 

RETURNING STUDENT

Name: Veronica Danger

Codename: None!

Year: Junior

Pronouns: She/Her

Current Intermural Team: Green Squad

Current Roommate: Janus Danger

Reflection: I enjoyed having the experience for more formal schooling with my peers and went on some great adventures with several of my classmates. I want to continue focusing on my schooling and training, having adventures and start to learn more about magic and my powers.

School Club: Outdoor Club, Science Club, second for an Adventure Club!

RETURNING STUDENT

Name: Micah Roebuck

Codename: Thunderbird

Pronouns: He/Him (Masculine)

Current Intramural Team: Green Team

Roommate:  Pan Barrie (Forever Boy)

Reflection: Micah thinks he did well at making friends and adapting to the school. However, he has a more focused goal of getting a better handle on his actual powers this year, as he didn't make a ton of progress with that last year. 

School Club: Micah intends to take a more active role in the Automotive/Mechanics Club this year, as well as continuing to help Judy in the Claremont Youth Group. 

Edited by KnightDisciple

RETURNING STUDENT

Name: Louise 'Lulu' Beaumont

Codename: Crystal-Gazer

Pronouns: She/Her

Current Intramural Team: Orange

Current Roommate: Tabitha Hannigan

Reflection: I want to see more of the world! I made lots of friends, but I want to learn more about them, so we can help each other more.

School Club: Gaming Club!

NEW STUDENT

Name: Benicio "Ben" Wang

Codename: Octoman

Pronouns: He/Him

Prospective Roommate: Horrorshow(?)

Goal: Become Geckoman!

Favourite YA Fiction Novel: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

Edited by Grumblefloof

NEW STUDENT

Name: Nicholas Brown

Codename: Vox

Year: Junior

Pronouns: He/his

Prospective Roommate: Claude Jergens aka Gnomon

Goal: Nick isn't thinking very far ahead right now. If he had his druthers, he'd master his powers so he could talk again and possibly move home.

Favourite YA Fiction Novel: Animal Farm by George Orwell. For a sheltered Midwestern kid, reading Animal Farm was a real awakening. He credits it with sending him down the rabbit hole of social consciousness.

Name: Elizabeth Grey

Codename: Masque

Pronouns: she/her

Current Intramural Team: Red Squad

Current Roommate: Abigail Storm

Reflection: Liz made a lot of friends and did a lot of fun, new things! New foods! But it's never enough, and she'd like to fight more crime (even though - especially because? - she isn't supposed to).

School Club: Join...all the things? Drama or media clubs would hold her attention longer than most others.

Name: Abigail Storm

Codename: Arcana

Pronouns: she/her

Current Intramural Team: Orange Squad

Current Roommate: Elizabeth Grey

Reflection: Abigail spent the majority of the year hiding from the outside world and keeping her nose in her books, both magical and mundane.  It was, on balance, a wasted year.

School Club: She likes to draw, write and read, so something along those lines.

Name: Leroy Remilikun Ransome-Conte/Dio

Codename: Sun Dragon/N/A

Pronouns: He/him(for both)

Current Intramural Team: Blue Squad

Current Roommate: Kameron Kingdom/Red Lynx

Reflection: 

Leroy: I have let fear hold me back. Fear of failure, rejection, upsetting the fine balance. Justice will not wait, and the time for undoing a great evil draws near. Also I need to repair my relationship with Judy Smith. I have been taking her for granted, acting like my father. Blue Squad must make a real difference in the world this year.

Dio: I've been having an okay time, going to spend more time with other students and get to know what people look for in a hero. There's a lot of magic in this world, the kind that doesn't come from earth lines or hearts of fire or spiritual links, the magic of people reaching out to help others. I want to learn about that.

School Club: 

Leroy: I am in the school's youth Bible study and believe a club for people from other worlds and times would be wonderful. A way to learn about how other environments and eras affect us could help us see our own in new ways. Planning this year to be involved in the Academy drama club.

Dio: I'm in the magic club, not really much of a joiner but a place to hang out and talk geology would be nice. There's so many cool rocks out there, and I've been hankering to see them. 

Name: Mia Mustafic-Markov

Codename: Soliton

Pronouns: She/Her

Prospective Roommate: Danica

Goal: Ultimately, Mia just wants her mom to stop being mad at her. The fact that she gets to be in an environment where she gets to use her powers freely is largely a bonus. Her goal, in the end, is to create a world where she can use her powers without being weird or strange.

Favourite YA Fiction Novel: The Inkheart Trilogy.