Red Death Redemption (OOC)

Amelia

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strix's Sense Motive: 19.

@Avenger Assembled If you want Horus to hear what's going on in the downstairs part of the townhouse, feel free to make a Notice check. It's through solid floors and walls, so it's DC15 to hear "noise", DC25 to hear specifically the words being said and actions being taken.

Alternately, @Dr Archeville, Mutt can just tell her what Dead Head is telepathically telling him about what's going on inside.

Javier Delgado gets a surprise round, which he spends attacking the older cop, whom he catches flat-footed.

That puts the cop's defense at +1 for being flat-footed, -2 for being surprise attacked, total of -1, DC9.

Javier is using Improved Grab to both inflict damage with an unarmed attack (his bite, Strength damage 9) and to initiate a grapple.

Javier Power Attacks for -2 attack / +2 damage.

The cop's a minion, so Javier takes 10 on the attack check, getting 17.

Older Cop's Toughness save (DC26, Lethal) : 19. He fails, and he's a Minion, so he's Dying.

Javier's Grapple check: 23, 25 with the Power Attack.

Older Cop's Grapple check: 19.

Javier wins by 5+, so the older cop is Bound (Helpless), and Javier's rank 9 (11 with Power Attack) Requires-Grapple Drain Constitution effect goes off.

Older Cop's Fortitude save (DC21): 18. Tough old bastard. He only loses 3 Con, putting him at 10.

OK, now we'll go into Initiative.

Dead Head and Lady Horus each get a Hero Point for prioritizing the safety of the bystanders.

Lady Horus: 40, Uninjured, 2HP

Mister Strix: 26, Uninjured, 1HP

Javier Delgado: 25, Uninjured

Older Cop: 17, Dying, Bound

Younger Cop: 17, Uninjured

Dead Head: 6, Uninjured, 3HP

Mutt: 6, Uninjured

@Avenger Assembled Horus is up.

Okay, Lady Horus is going to ask Mutt to stay upstairs and guard the boy - since she doesn't have time to give him sophisticated directions. 

She'll then fly out the window and through the front door. She'll then stab Javier Delgado with her ankh - who looks like he's flat-footed. I think it's reasonable for her to aim for a decapitation? 

She's stabbing him with the flat end of the ankh's 'blade', burying it down to the 'handle' that runs through the center. 

http://orokos.com/roll/747257 = okay,. well, that's a crit. 

DC 34 Tou save there. 

Is that okay? 

Nothing wrong with any of that.

Even if flying through the front door and stabbing him from behind didn't catch him flat-footed, his Defense is only +9, so that hits regardless.

Toughness save (DC34): 23. He fails by 11, which would normally be enough to Disable him. He's a vampire, she's using a holy relic, and she scored a critical hit. That's checking off every box for beheading him or staking him through the heart (I also would have accepted a Power Attack), whichever descriptor you'd prefer. But he's done, regardless. As I'll describe in the GM post following your IC post, his body is going to instantly crumble into ash.

Older Cop's Fortitude save (DC10): 13. Well, whatta ya know, the old guy's a fighter. He's not stabilized, he's still Dying, but he's got another hour before has to save again.

In that case, I'll go ahead and have him make his first saving throw against the linked Disease Transform effect.

Fortitude save (DC19): 18. So close.

One more day until his next save (if he's still alive by then).

Using "Boo" setting on Necromancy, specifically the Challenge/Forceful Intimidate part (from Masterminds Manual), to Intimidate the young cop into dropping his gun (an action that is against his interests).  And Dead Head's got Skill Mastery on Intimidate, so he can Take 10 and get 24.

Edited by Dr Archeville

Normally I'd activate Dead Head's appearance related complications for his interaction with the boy, but the boy has been primed by the big fluffy puppy and the magical fairy queen, so he's favorably inclined toward the zombie. Dead Head can take 10 on his Diplomacy check and get the kid to spill his guts about the guts his dad spilled.

@Dr Archeville Go ahead and roll Initiative for Dead Head. Then I'll post an IC description of either 1) the vampire jumping out of the drawer to attack him, or 2) the vampire in the drawer who's obviously about to jump out and attack him.

Roberto Hernandez's Initiative: 22.

@Avenger Assembled I'll keep the rest of the thread going concurrently. Horus and Strix aren't going to go on pause during Dead Head's vampire-fight.

I'll go ahead and get Hernandez's attack roll out of the way before my next GM post.

EDIT: Forgot to mention he's All-Out Attacking for +2/-2.

Attack roll (DC14): 13. OK, so he lunges at Dead Head but misses. Again, I'll describe that in my next GM post.

Edited by Grumblefloof

Dead Head

I'll give Robert Hernandez a DC15 Acrobatics check to roll to his feet at the end of his failed lunge.

Roberto Hernandez's Acrobatics check: 17.

Whether you decide to parley with him or not, I'll keep Dead Head and Roberto Hernandez in combat rounds for now. Dead Head is up.

Mister Strix

Strix's half happens concurrently with Dead Head's encounter. I'm going to just go ahead and run through it, because it's probably going to all be over before any other PCs could intervene.

I'm going to say the sight of his widow hits Mister Strix with a rank 8 Fascinate effect, like the feat.

Mister Strix's Will save (DC18): 9. Natural "1". He's Fascinated.

When he says her name out loud, she gets a Will save to break through his Phantasm Concealment.

Doctor Aparo's Will save (DC18): 22. She sees right through him.

In addition to being unable to take any actions beyond gawking at his ex-wife, he's at -4 to Notice that Maria Delgado is crashing out.

Mister Strix's Notice check (DC10): 23.

Since he failed the initial save but made the subsequent Notice check, I'm going to say he has a chance to save his ex-wife, but not the other three people in the room. If he'd made that first save, I'd have given him a chance to save everyone. But that's why it's called a "setback".

Mister Strix's Reflex save (DC17): 27. He saves her.

Reflex saves for the two nurses and the orderly (DC17): 20, 13, 9. Two of them get sprayed.

Fortitude saves against the Disease Transform effect for the nurse and the orderly (DC17): 6, 16. Both of them are infected.

Mister Strix gets a Hero Point for the setback.

Maria Delgado's Initiative: 9.

Mister Strix's Initiative: 26.

Round 1:

Mister Strix:

Free Action: Swap his array to the Autofire & Claws AP.

Standard Action: Charge at Maria.

All-Out Attack for +2/-2.

That puts him at +10 attack and +4 defense.

Attack roll (DC17): 12. Miss.

Move Action: None.

Maria Delgado:

Standard Action: Use Improved Grab to bite and grapple Strix.

That puts her at +9 Attack, +5 defense.

Attack roll (DC14): 23.

Strix's Toughness save (DC22): 10.

That would Disable him, so he'll pop a Hero Point for a re-roll.

Strix's Toughness save (Hero Point re-roll): 21. He takes an Injury.

Grapple check: 19.

Strix's Grapple check: 34.

Her grapple fails.

Round 2:

Mister Strix:

Move Action: Demoralize Maria.

Strix's Intimidate check: 10.

Maria's Intimidate check: 27.

He fails. He can't attempt to Intimidate her again.

Standard Action: Attack Maria.

That puts him at +8 Attack, +6 Defense.

Attack roll (DC15): 24.

He succeeds by 9. 9 / 2 = 4.5, rounded down to 4 = +4 damage.

Maria's Toughness save (DC29): 22. She's Injured, and Dazed for 1 round.

Maria Delgado:

No actions. She spends the round Dazed.

Round 3:

Mister Strix:

Standard Action: Trip Maria.

All-Out Attack for +2/-2, putting him at +10 Attack, +6 Defense.

Attack roll (DC17): 27. That's +4 "damage" from Autofire.

Trip check: 24.

Maria's Trip check: 20.

Maria is Prone.

Free Action: Surge for a second attack.

Standard Action: Melee attack Maria, at +4 since she's Prone.

Power Attack for -2/+2.

Attack roll (DC17): 19. +1 damage from Autofire.

Maria's Toughness save (DC28): 13. She's Destroyed.

After destroying Maria, Mister Strix tries to Mind Control the nurses and orderly.

Mind Control power checks: 112721.

Staff's Will saves: 8117. They're all thoroughly enthralled.

Then he'll try to use Diplomacy on Doctor Aparo to get her to cooperate.

Strix's Diplomacy check (DC15): 11. Nope.

He'll burn his last Hero Point for a re-roll, and he'll unmask himself for a +2 circumstance bonus.

Strix's Diplomacy check (DC15, Hero Point re-roll): 14. The +2 puts him at 16, just over the line.

Mister Strix is InjuredFatigued, and has 0HP.

Back to Dead Head.

Woof, been a while since I've done some real combat.  Alright, IIRC Dead Head's got 3 HP at the moment, and is uninjured.

Free Action: Manifest Shovel

Standard Action: Grapple.

Using full All-Out Attack (-5 Def/+5 Att).  Melee attack at +14, Grapple at +23, Defense at -1.

1d20+14: 34 [1d20=20]

Nat 20!  Which gives me another +5 on the Grapple check, making that +28.

Grapple check

1d20+28: 46 [1d20=18]

Yeesss

Free Action: Extra Effort to Surge, to gain another Standard Action.

Full Round Action: Diplomacy check to try to calm him down/reach him.

1d20+11: 25 [1d20=14]

Whoa

3 HP, uninjured, will be fatigued at beginning of next round.

That's definitely a hit, and a crit, and there's no way he could match that grapple bonus, so Hernandez is Bound.

Don't worry about the extra effort. Hernandez will stop struggling for long enough to hear Dead Head out, so he'll skip his turn at the top of the next round, and we can just assume that DH's next round actions are a full one for the Diplomacy check and a free one to maintain the grapple.

Dead Head gets a Hero Point for being all humane.

Then, at the top of round 3, Hernandez takes his own full action to try to convince Dead Head that he's on board.

Roberto Hernandez's Bluff check: 22.

Since he's telling Dead Head what he wants to hear, Dead Head suffers a -5 penalty to his Sense Motive check.

Hernandez is lying his pale butt off about not chomping down on the first throat he sees.

EDIT: Dead Head gets another Hero Point, since the Diplomacy check was high enough to have worked.

Edited by Grumblefloof

Niiice.  5 HP now.

Free Action: Maintain Grapple

Standard Action: Inflict damage.  Not sure if you'd include his Shovel's Strike bonus in on this.  If so, that's a DC 24 Toughness save; if not, DC 22.

Move Action: Studying Sr. Hernandez (with his Magic Awareness, which is Acute & Analytical for Necromantic effects).

Notice check, he's got Skill Mastery, Taking 10 gets him 21.  I'll take that, that should give him some info but not everything (so we'll still have investigating to do).

Free Action: Extra Effort to Power Stunt off his Necromancy Array (17pp)

Communication 3 (“haunt hotline,” mental, 1,000 feet; Extras: Area; Flaw: Limited [Only with Undead and Characters with Comprehend/Spirits]; PFs: Dimensional 2 [afterlives], Selective, Subtle) {7} plus Mind Reading 10 (“memento mors”; Extras: Action 2 [Free for surface, Move for probe], Sensory Link; Flaws: Limited [only memories & thoughts pertaining to death & killing], Range 2 [Touch]) {10} {7+10=17/17}

Free Action: call out to Strix -- well, to every undead/spirit medium in the entire 1,000 foot area, and hope Strix is in range -- and tell him what he's learned.

5 HP, uninjured, will be fatigued at start of next round.