Dalekos frowned briefly, but then shrugged, "As you say, my lady. I will prepare my watercraft and follow you to the field, I think we will find it a more prudent use of our time than remaining here..." He swam away with Thaelia, talking strategy as they went, keeping her close to the entrance hatch of the facility. "With my men having found the spoor, I recommend we strike the Deep One camp with photonic weapons to blind them, then enter ourselves with bladed weapons to make the kill." He produced a helmet from inside his craft and offered it to Thaelia. "For protection against their songs. I would not have a princess of the blood fall victim to their power under my watch." 

While Dalekos was distracted, Heroditus' father took him aside and away from the entrance hatch and its small crew of guards. "What of their methods, boy?" he asked his son quietly. He looked to have aged, ever so slightly, in the few moments since they had last spoke. "What did you see?" 

Posted (edited)

"The experiments here, father, they," he quickly looked to Dalekos, to make sure his attention was elsewhere, "they seemed to be working out a way to turn Deep Ones -- adults and children -- back into Atlanteans.  Something called 'Project: Rebirth.'  A noble goal, certainly, but... but..."  Another glance back, "from the notes I've found, I have a suspicion that Laertes was using the children here -- his own children! -- as a part of the process.  And another thing: Dalekos said one of the marks they'd left was the Lemurian word for 'victory,' but it wasn't, it was their word for 'justice.'  I think that's why the Deep Ones struck: not just another raid, but a retaliation."

Another quick glance back, "what did you find?  What's in that chamber?  And if this is a medical experiment, why did they not call mother in?  Were they concerned she'd figure it all out?"

Edited by Dr Archeville

Thaelia wasn't sure if she could easily be swayed by any of the Deep One's dark magicks.  But, it would be rude to refuse the offering.  After all, the rest of her armor was merely decorative compared to her own durability.  "I thank you, general.  Your enthusiasm will no doubt stir the hearts of your men.  Your plan seems sound.  If I may make one suggestion..."

Then came the subject of going in for the kill.  Obviously, the Deep Ones lacked any qualities worth commendation.  However, Thaelia felt her honor was paramount.   She may have been more believing in a just kill than her contemporaries.  But, there was no justice in felling the weak.  And there was no doubt in her mind, villain or not she had never actually met a Deep One she felt was so dangerous that she had no choice but to kill.  While Atlantean society could agree with her views on honor, the masses weren't standing from the same position of power.

"There is no need to dirty your blades with a dishonorable kill.  Fight of course,  but above all rescue the children."

"Quite," agreed Dalekos, with a look in his eye that suggested he didn't agree after all. "We shall see if the savages will accept the mercy of Atlantis." He made a little gesture to the hatch outside. "Shall we depart, then?" he invited the princess. He didn't spare a backwards glance for the two civilians, evidently confident that they could do little harm where they were. Most of the garrison he'd brought seemed to be preparing to go with him, leaving only a skeleton crew with Artificer and his father. 

Heroditus's father put his hand on his son's shoulder, then said softly, "I saw...the doings of the great, son." He swallowed, a sign of just how deeply unsettled this usually forthright man was, then said, "I tell you that machine was built for no medicine, but for something - worse. Your mother would never have stood it, but _I_ can take on that weight, for the sake of our family. Please - do not put that burden on such young shoulders. Let us do what we came here to do, then you can speak out once you are away on the Surface." 

"What did we come here to do, father?"  The teen's voice was a bit louder than he'd intended, but he was reasonably certain none of the soldiers (or were they guards?) had overheard him.  "It would seem my simply coming here has already place some burden on me -- let me continue to help buoy the load.  If I am to carry the Stylianos name, carry it to the future, I should start now.  Which means making sure that what we do now is the right thing, for the right reasons."

Atlanteans tended to be reserved, conservative (almost to the point of rigidity), and proud.  They generally prefer order and predictability, and value stability.  They consider loyalty and reliability the highest of virtues, while casting a distrustful eye on anyone or anything not like themselves.  The result is a society with fairly extensive social codes of conduct and unwritten rules for social interaction, extending even to their language and social strata.  And as with almost all cultures, its adolescent members often run contrary to that.  In these regards, Xyles was a Good Atlantean, and Heroditus a Typical Atlantean Teen.