• 1 month later...

Second Shot

---

The group of five teenagers and one adult man somewhere in the mid-forties were huddled together in a small alley in Freedom City's Southside neighborhood, hiding from the rain under the remains of an old canopy. The teenagers ranged from the youngest at twelve to the oldest at 17. They all had a red piece of cloth tied around their upper left arms, including the older man. He looked at the teens, barring his teeth in barely hidden contempt.

"It's easy, kids. Me and the guys, we've been hitting this place down the street for a while. Nice little noodle shop, good food, and they make a killing, so, we did the same. Owed us for protection, right?" The man scratched his stubble, while his baseball cap kept his face relatively dry. "Turns out, they'd rather want someone else protectin' them. Some security consultant or something. Pooled money with some other shops, hired him to keep us away. But we gotta show him, right? Nobody messes with us." He pointed at the kids, one by one. "You guys, you go with me. The guys will meet us at the shop, and then we'll show 'em, but we need you," he pointed to the youngest, the twelve year old boy with long brown red hair that clung tightly to his face, "to take care of a lil' distraction. The guy parks his car nearby. You break into that, then he'll come runnin' and we'll get away. Think you can handle that, Connor?" 

The boy looked up at the man. He looked like he was about to complain and refuse, but then he simply nodded. "Yes, sir."

The older man smirked and roughly patted the boy's head. "Good boy." He stood up, the older boys standing up with him. "Now get to work, boy. We'll move in once the guy's gone." 

---

It wasn't exactly difficult to find the car. It was one of the few cars that looked halfway decent, plus it had a big logo for "BULLSEYE SECURITY" on the side, complete with a large red and white bullseye. It was a dark grey van, plenty of space for equipment in the back, but Connor was only interested in the front. He looked around, no one to see. There was some noise from up the street, some people yelling, some fighting, but that was normal. Nothing to break his focus, as he fiddled with the car, trying to break in. His wet clothes stuck tightly to his body when, finally, with a click, the lock popped open. 

"Ha!" Connor's face split into a grin as he reached up and opened the door to the car and slipped inside. 

The seat was obviously way too big for him. He could barely reach the pedals, but he'd manage, somehow. Better than getting beaten again, at least. Slipping down under the car, he began methodically taking it apart, getting to the wires. He barely even noticed the sounds of fighting and yelling had stopped. All he could hear was the rain.

And then, there was a heavy knock on the door, and a man spoke up. "The hell do you think you're doing, kid?" 

Letting out a loud shout, Connor instinctively kicked at whoever it was. The man moved back, allowing Connor to slip out of the car and into the rain on the street again. Quickly putting his hands up, Connor back away from the man. He was old. At least 50 years old. Dressed in a pair of jeans, a grey jacket with the BULLSEYE SECURITY logo, and a cap with the same. Connor was pretty sure he could take him. "Just back away!"

The man smiled. It was not a warm smile, but the confident smile of someone that knew exactly what he was doing. "You're with those punks that tried to jump me? They folded pretty quick."

Connor took a step forward. The man didn't move. They hadn't even waited for him? Or had they found the security guy by accident? He was in trouble. Big trouble. He lunged forward with a punch, but the man just stepped back, shaking his head. As he moved, the man reached out and grabbed the red cloth, pulling it off Connor's arm. "Why are you even wearing this? Supposed to be some kind of gang?"

Again and again, Connor went for a hit, but the man just avoided him. Finally, the man dropped and sweeped Connor's away from under him. Standing up straight, the man looked over at his car. He looked troubled. "Look, you shouldn't be out on the street, kid. Trust me, you'll run into someone much worse than me before long." There was something in his eyes, as Connor looked up at him. A look of recognition. "I've been where you were. Someone took me in, helped me out. How about I do the same for you?" He reached a hand out.

Connor slapped it away and started running down the street, water splashing from the poodles he stepped through. He could hear the man cursing behind him. "Dammit, kid! I wasn't done! I'm trying to help you here!" 

Trying to help? He would just put him back in the system. Back with all the people that couldn't help Connor. So no, Connor ran. Into alleys. Jumping off walls and to a fire escape, quickly climbing it to the roof. The man followed. Connor could almost swear the old man was smiling as he gave chase, keeping pace with Connor, slowly starting to catch up. 

Making it to the top of the roof, Connor ran across it, then stopped right as he reached the edge. He looked back. The man was still coming. Another few steps back, then Connor was running again, jumping between the rooftops. He landed heavily, rolling across the rooftop before climbing to his feet. And the man was already standing there, offering a hand.

"Now listen here, kid. You got some skills, I'll give you that, but you're not getting away unless I let you. So, hear me out here." Connor hesitated. His heart was pumping. He could barely catch his breath. "I'm guessing something bad happened to you, right? Nobody like you should be in a situation like this. I know that look in your eye. It used to be me. And just maybe, instead of becoming whatever this path is taking you down, you could become something better than I was. So, how about I buy you some noodles, and tell you about an old hero called the Archer?"

There was something about the man, the way he moved, the way he talked. Connor hesistated for another moment, then accepted the man's hand. "Fine." There was a challenge in his voice. "But if I don't like what I'm hearing, then I'm out! Got it, old man?"

The man just smiled. "Sure. Let's go with that."

1. Where is your hero from?
Southside, Freedom City.

2. How would your hero physically describe him/herself? Is this different from how others would?
Normal height, athletic. Probably the same as others.

3. Does your hero have distinguishing speech characteristics or recurring mannerisms?
No.

4. What is your hero's motivation?
Doing what he can to make sure what hapened to him doesn't happen to others. To cement the first Archer's legacy.

5. What are your hero's greatest strengths and weaknesses?
A surprisingly tactical mind, hindered by his temperament.

6. What does your hero love? What does your hero hate?
Cats. Absolutely adores them. Drugs and weapons, and the people that sell tehm.

7. How would you describe your character's mental and emotional state?
Mentally sound, but not necessarily the most stable person. His entire life is driven by past trauma, which primarily results in a stand off-ish nature and a temper.

8. What does your hero fear the most?
Dying for no reason at all.

9. What is your character's greatest ambition?
To prove to the world that you don't need to be from some great super hero clan to be a hero.

10. How does your hero feel about the state of the world and his/her place in it?
The world could be better, especially for poor people in places like Southside. Connor is decidedly not happy about it, and is working to make a change for the better.

11. Does your hero have any prejudices? How does he/she get along with others?
Not a big fan of big, established heroes and authorities, perceiving them as having forgotten all the good the first Archer did, even if that is not the case. Connor is confrontational, but can work surprisingly well with otehrs.

12. Where do your heroes loyalties lie? In what order?
The first Archer and his legacy, and being a hero. That comes before anything else.

13. Does your hero have a lover or partner? How do they feel about the hero now?
He doesn't.

14. Does your hero have a family? What is the relationship there like?
Orphaned at the age of six.

15. How would the people closest to your hero describe him or her?
Intense, driven, confrontational.

16. Is your hero a role model?
For some, maybe.

17. How spiritual is your hero? Does your hero follow a relgious tradition?
Not at all.

18. Is your hero part of a team, or would he/she like to be? Why?
Connor is not part of a team, but he would like to be. The first Archer had a team, and he feel that is another part of the old man's legacy that he should live up to.

19. How does your hero feel about the place of metahumans and aliens on Earth?
Too many powerful heroes and villains doesn't care at all about the little man.

20. If you could give one piece of advice to your hero, what would it be?
Not everyone is out to get you.

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.
The heir to one of the world's greatest heroes, no matter what anyone else thinks of him.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?
I go by Archer

What is your full birth name?
Connor King

Where do you live?
At the old man's place in Southside, Freedom City.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)? 
18, born 2001.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.
Male.

How would you describe your heritage?
Mixed. Mostly Caucasian, but there's some more in there.

How tall are you?
6 feet.

What is your body type?
Athletic.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?
No.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence? 
I walk with confidence. I'm good at what I do, and not afraid to let others know.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color. 
Slightly tan skin, with brown hair and blue eyes.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?
Short. Usually a buzzcut. No facial hair.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?
Honestly? Not something I've given a lot of thought.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?
Got scars on my body from my training, when things went bad.

Do you resemble anyone famous?
No.

Do you have a dominant hand?
Right.

What kind of clothing do you wear?
Jeans, t-shirts, tank tops. I'm not really picky.

Do you wear makeup?
No.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?
Baritone. Not really distinctive.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people? 
Not as far as I know.

History

Where do you come from?
Southside, Freedom City.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?
Been moved all over Freedom in the foster system, before ending up back in Southside with the old man.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?
Not particularly. They've done bad in the past, but as long as they don't bother me, I'm good. Plenty of things they could still do better.

How do you feel about the place you come from? 
Southside needs all the help it can. I'm here to do just that.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?
Southside wasn't the greatest place to grow up.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you? 
I was just another child of losers in Southside. Doesn't mean my parents deserved what happened to them, and pretty much led me to where I am right now.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life? 
Always had a great aim. Never been good at school. Not that it stood out particularly in Southside.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?
My parents being killed traumatic enough for ya?

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.
After running away from foster care, I tried stealing a car. Turns out it was the old Archer's, and he took me in and trained me as his successor.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?
Lived on the street, stealing cars and whatever else I could to survive.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?
Went to a few different schools growing up and then in foster care. Wasn't really a fan. The old man taught me most of everything else I know, including most school topics. Not my favorite part of the training, but I can see why he did it.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?
Lost it all between different moves between foster families, and some outright stealing them.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?
Met the old Archer, and he offered to train me, so I could make sure what happened to my parents wouldn't happen again. Learning from him and about him, I decided to do my best to make everyone know what a great hero he was by becoming his successor.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?
In part. Don't mind telling them about who trained me, but not everyone needs to know about my parents.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?
Been a criminal as a kid, had to survive somehow, and I disappeared from the foster system. Who knows who might end up looking for me because of that?

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?
No. I have no need to hide who I am.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets? 
I don't want to be pitied about what happened to my parents. I'll fight my way through it on my own.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?
No. I was never caught as a kid.

Family

What are your biological parents' names? 
Rachel and Fabian.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.
Until I was 6. Then I spent some years in orphanages and foster homes. Then the old man took me in when I was 12 and took care of me from then.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?
Not great. They were known addicts.

Where are your parents now?
Dead.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?
Just stayed in Southside in a crap apartment. 

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).
They did their best, and I loved them.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they? 
I hope they'd be proud.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.
No.

What was your birth order in the family?
I'm an only child.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?
Never had any.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?
Never had any siblings to get estranged from.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?
I don't even know if I have any family left out there.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?
No, but the old man's as close to a father as can be.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.
I wouldn't know.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.
Not that I'm aware of.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.
No.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?
I don't know. I'm still young, and I don't think the life I'm planning on leading will be good for kids.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?
Strong and skilled, someone that can challenge me.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.
Had some friends in the orphanages and foster homes, but wouldn't say I got close to anyone.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?
No.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?
The old man, maybe. Not sure if there's anyone else.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?
I've had crushes, sure, but not anything I've acted on.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.
Whoever killed my parents. If I ever find them, they'll pay, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?
Kill me, maybe find out where I live, who I care about.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?
Killed my parents.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?
The old man and his legacy, and being a hero. That comes before anything else.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?
The old man. He's trained me for six years to become the man I am today. Without him, I'd probably be dead in some alley.

Who or what do you despise? Why?
Drug and weapon dealers above all else. They're the reason my parents died.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?
Staying true to yourself and your word. Never giving up. Being the best you can be. And yeah, I'm pretty sure I do.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?
Cowards, liars. Those that think they're better than others, just because they got power of some kind.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why? 
Yeah. Only the old man knows, not that it makes much of a difference.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?
I'm still new at this whole thing. I think I can work in groups, but I've always seen myself as more of a leader.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?
No.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?
No.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?
The old man, the first Archer. He's gotten too much crap over the years.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?
No.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?
I choose this life, nobody forced me. I like saving people, and making sure no one else gets hurt when I'm around.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?
Not that I know.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?
Make my mark. I want to show the world that the Archer's legacy is still alive.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?
Have proven to the world that you don't need fancy powers or to be from some great super hero clan to be a hero.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?
Dying for no reason at all.

Is there anything you would give you life for? 
To save someone.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?
Doesn't matter to me. As long as I can make a living and continue the work, I'm good.

How do you generally treat others?
I know I'm not the easiest person to be around. Earn my respect, and you'll get it. Prove you're not worth it? Then I'll treat you like that.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?
No. Enough foster homes and orphanages beat that out of me.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?
Wouldn't call myself shy, but I'm more withdrawn than outgoing. And yeah, I'd say I'm pretty confident.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex? 
I don't ogle them, if that's what you mean. Doesn't mean I mind being around someone attractive.

What are your most annoying habits?
Gotta have something to fight.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?
Not a big fan of the big heroes, like the Freedom League and such. They're all high and mighty, looking down at the rest of us. Not saying they're not useful, but they were too quick to swoop in once people like the old man and his team had stuck around during the super hero ban.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?
Spanish style tapas. No need to scarf it down, you can take your time.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?
Sangria.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?
Just ice cream will do.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?
Spam.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?
Red, nothing I dislike.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?
Classic rock is the best.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?
I don't.

Do you have a favorite animal?
I love cats.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?
The first bow the old man gave me. Too small now, but its still hanging on my wild.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?
Yeah, I got no problems "roughing it".

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?
I don't kill.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?
Not really.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?
No.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization? 
I don't.

Could you kill? Have you killed?
I probably could, but I haven't, and I won't.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?
The old man told me something once: "If you're that good, then you won't need to kill them to stop them." He had a point there.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?
No other options. But still, I'll try to find another option if that happens.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours? 
Depends on the situation. I don't kill, but doesn't mean that I gotta tell everyone else what to do.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?
I'd get it back. With interest.

How would you react to public humiliation?
I'd double down on proving myself.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?
I shut down for a while when my parents died. Now, I think I'd look for revenge.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?
Killing someone that doesn't deserve it.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?
Train one last time with the old man, then dinner. Visit my parents' grave. Go out one last time. End it looking at the sunset or sunrise.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?
Yeah. The old man, that's the first Archer, has trained me for six years.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?
Ethan Keller, the first Archer. I'd say our relationship's pretty good. He can be strict, but he means well, and he's the best teacher I've ever had.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?
I'm one of the world's greatest archers, if that counts as unusual. Turns out I'm a natural, but it's taken years of training.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?
No. The old man got money, and so far, he's taken care of me.

What is your preferred combat style?
Surprise the target, then unload as much as I can before they get a chance.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?
No.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?
Maybe becoming better at working in a group. I've learned tactics, and I'd like to improve as a leader.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?
I try to learn, if its real, natural skills or talent and not just super powers.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?
Get up, training, breakfast, training, lunch, training, dinner, relax, patrol. I'm fine with breaks, but this is my routine.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?
There's my cats, of course. And I like action movies. Always loved cats, the old man taught me to love movies.

What do you do for fun?
Watch movies or train with the old man, for the most part.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?
Yeah. Its red and white, with a red cowl that leaves just my mouth free. I wear a jacket that's primarily white, but with a red triangle at the top, pointing down. I usually leave it just a bit unzipped, letting the collar hang free. I wear red pants, red armbands and red and white boots. The old Archer's colors.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?
Casually. Jeans and t-shirts.

What do you wear to bed most nights?
Boxers.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?
No.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?
My room at the old man's place.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?
Rooftops. I'd rather fly than take a bus for long distance.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make? 
No.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?
Not as far as I know.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?
Being the best hero I could be.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?
No. I'm one of the good guys.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?
I never give up.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?
I don't like authorities.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...
Not everyone is out to get you, and not everyone with powers are reckless, they might have trained just as much as you. Find friends that you trust. Just because you're his successor, you don't have to be your mentor.