Dakana Summer - The Spiders Lair!

Utando wa Buibui, Dakana

The Buibui Waridi, the Rose Spiders were a small clan that specialized in micro-engineering and nanotechnology, making medical scanners and other surgery equipment using Daka crystals in almost artistic ways. Recently there had been a few disturbing rumors that a few of their supplies of Daka crystal had been disappearing across the border. Such rumors had reached the ear of the Palace, though none had yet taken a look.

There home town, Utando wa Buibui, was also on the way the lakeside Summer palace of the White Lions, where the two teenage children of the King were taking friends to enjoy the natural springs and (mostly) crocodile and hippo free waters for a few days of summer. How could they not take a few hours just to take a quick look into things, they had the entire summer to enjoy the lake after all...

Kam set down the tablet he'd been reviewing what information he'd been able to squeeze from unofficial inquiries.  "It certainly seems like some of their stock of daka crystals are missing."  the prince revealed with a heavy sigh.  "A risk of fathers open borders initiative and one we are prepared for yet."  he frowned deeply, "In the wrong hands they could do great harm."  and if they were going missing from official stocks it wasn't to the right hands.

"Our rank will likely get us access to the operations but they may wish not to be seen as failing in security to the royal family."  he pondered aloud and turned to his sister, "Perhaps explain it as a tour for our classmates?"  he gestured to the Dangers that had joined them for the summer excursion.  "See what may be uncovered without an official inquiry and allow the Rose Spiders to save face."  he considered it highly unlikely the thefts were an inside job at least not at any high level.  This wasn't the Hyena or Crocodile they were dealing with.  "The artistry is worth a tour even if it turns out nothing untoward is happening."

Veronica Danger

Veronica twisted her mouth in thought a moment as she considered the information Kam and Àjàṣorò had shared regarding some missing Daka crystal among one of the Dakana tribes. The teenage Danger was in her typical attire, dark green cargo shorts and a black T-shirt, over which she wore a thin, linen Khaki button up short sleeve shirt. Of course, she also had on her well-worn hiking boots, the toe of one tapping slightly as she thought about the information. The attractive teenager's long brown hair was pulled back in a ponytail and she already had a good start on a tan, having already spent the first week of summer vacation in the Caribbean.

Finally, she gave a small smile as she looked back up at her friends and classmates. "Well, you know we are happy to do anything we can to help." She replied. "A tour sounds like a good cover for a subtle investigation. And if nothing else I am sure it will be fascinating to learn about the Rose Spiders craft."

Janus lifted one shoulder in a lazy shrug. They looked surprisingly comfortable in tight leather pants and a loose poet's shirt. It gaped enough to show the edge of the binder that Janus had taken to wearing. 

"Of course," Janus agreed, nodding their head and flicking the thick braid back as they rolled to an easy sitting position. "I'm here most of the summer. Grandfather has me staying with our cousins here. He thinks that my Dakanan has grown woefully rusty after a year at Claremont and he's not exactly wrong. Frankly, though, I rather think that he simply wants me out from the Manor for the summer. Nothing cures the doldrums like a little bit of danger, or so I am told."

Rolling the rest of the way up with loose limbed grace, Janus stretched before lacing their hands behind their head. "When do we leave?"

White Lioness

Now home Àjàṣorò was free to dress less like the fashions of America and adopt those of the region, not that she couldn’t dress like this at Claremont she’d just chosen that style when there. Now she was dressed in her favorite Kitenge fashions, color vibrant clothes that suited her perfectly.

“A royal visit would be a good chance to poke around it true.” she beamed at her friend's willingness to go adventuring. “And I’ve heard that the process itself it quite fascinating to watch!”

With a conspiratorial smile she added.

“I’ve already arrange transport to the town, nothing to obsteancious this time so not to tip people off. If people need anything I’m sure we can arrange it, within reason I don’t want dad or even the Ghost Dog’s poking around to much!”

"Of course you have."  Kam ruefully shook his head long past having any real upset with his sisters more impulsive tendencies in such matters.  He swung his gaze to Janus and Victoria with a slow nod, "Well never a dull moment it seems."  he shrugged slightly and stood dressed for the moment in simple gray athletic wear much like he preferred at school in his leisure time.  

I'll have to get changed if we're going in even a semi official capacity."  he noted and quickly stepped out to do so meeting them as transport arrived, in a subdued jewel tone shirt and a dark slacks.  As they got under way he casually waited for the nearest staff to be out of earshot, "We'll just keep an eye open and if one of us manages to find an excuse to step away from the group perhaps we'll find something of interest yes?"  he smiled easily enjoying hte prospect of breaking the rules in such a manner far more than he might have a year ago when like as not it would have given him palpitations.

Veronica Danger

Veronica smiled as Àjàṣorò reveled she had already arranged for transportation to get them to the facilities operated by the Buibui Wardi. "Thank you, but I think I have everything I might need handy." The teenage Danger replied to Àjàṣorò when the princess had offered to make arrangements for anything they might need.

She then grinned at Kam's comment about things never being dull. "Would not have it any other way." She replied as the prince excused himself to change to more appropriate attire for the visit. Soon enough the four teens were on their way, having a moment for some last minute discussion of a plan for the investigation.

"Well, between the four of us I am sure one of us will find an opportunity to slip away and get a better look at what might actually be going on." Veronica replied as she looked over to her cousin with a grin. "Don't you think?"

"Shan't be me," Janus said with easy acknowledgement. They were well aware of where their skills did and did not lie. Stealth was not so much Janus' strength, after all, but that didn't bother the Danger in the slightest. They hadn't moved from an easy slouch while Kam got ready, hands in their pockets and posture relaxed. Janus offered a lazy elegant wave to demure any supplies needed. They were, after all, always armed. 

"Though if you need a distraction - which I doubt,  I shall be more than happy to offer my services." As Kam rejoined the group, Janus finally pushed away from their perch to stretch and stand fully upright. Janus had been quiet for much of the school year; training hard but not exactly socially engaging with others. Depression didn't exactly manifest 'normally' for Dangers but it was no surprise that Ace had made plans to keep his nephew's child busy for the summer. A bored, depressed Danger did not make good life choices, to say the least. 

• 2 weeks later...

GM Post

Sitting so near the border of Dakana Utando wa Buibui was still made to look like a traditional town from the area. But as you got beyond the outskirts of the town the more modern stylings began to show up. Though the royal family was normally quite friendly to other, this far out visits were rare enough to get the odd looks from the inhabitants of the town. 

It was pretty obvious that the information would get back to the elders of the Clan and they could expect a welcome committee. They teens probably had a few minutes before they’d have to act in a more official capacity.

Adjusting the cuffs of his more formal patterned dress shirt in rich vivid red and white and gold threaded accents Kam returned and lightly patted the pale linen trousers he wore to ensure they hung correctly.  "Ask questions and linger over the displays near the labs and storage centres."  he murmured with a shrug, "They'll expect such probative behavior from a Danger."  he explained with a wink and such distraction would serve to let those with less public talents to see what might be seen.

He looked to his sister and raised a brow, "How did you want to play this?"  he enquired as a royal spat might well separate them to cover more ground but would also get word back to their parents of their involvement.  Together they would be more prepared and attract less attention of course.  

White Lioness

Àjàṣorò watched the building go by and the attention of the locals, it was weird after the anonymity of her time in the States. Still she was the White Lioness and she wasn’t going to be worried about such things, with a smile she mused that some of her tutors work had sunk in after all. 

“Well we know that the crowd are here to see the children of the King...” she mused, “Maybe we could distract them whilst others poked around?”

She looked back at the two Dangers and give a friendly smile

“Unless you have a better idea? I’m not going to throw my weight around and not listern to good ideas.”

"Easy enough," Janus agreed with a shrug, falling back into step with Veronica. Janus arched one brow high and offered to their cousin, "I'll play the 'new to this strange dimension' Danger, shall I? Nudge me if there's something you want me to ask endless questions about."

Janus had long ago realized that playing dumb was often a useful tool as a cavalier attitude and a pretty face often gave the impression of mediocre intelligence, especially when Janus let their accent thicken. As they started to draw a slight crowd, Janus offered a wide smile, thickening their slight Dakanan accent and slowing their words as if the language wasn't as easy as English for the teenager.

"Hello! Hello! Oooh, what a lovely lantern. Veronica, how does this work?" Janus asked as their steps slowed to let the royal twins go first. Taking blatant advantage of their anachronistic manner of dress and the reputation of being 'that' Danger, Janus pointed at the high tech lighting lining the main street. Janus' gaze twinkled with unrepentant mirth as Veronica was going to have to pretend to explain technology to their cousin from Fortuna. "Magic?"

Veronica

"Yeah, I think we can handle being the overly curious sightseers." Veronica said in agreement with Janus, nodding at her cousin's idea of how they should go about their role. Janus wasted no time in stepping into their part of someone with little or no knowledge of technology.

A faint smirk passed over Veronica's face before disappearing as she looked up at the lighting for the street, an expression of calm patience coming to her face as she gave her cousin a small smile. "No, not magic." She replied in Dakanan, allowing her normally faint French accent to deepen as well. "Nor as simple as the electric lighting used in Freedom City. No, these use a much more robust Daka crystal powered energy grid…" The teenager began to explain looking over to some of the nearby locals they passed as if inviting them to join in the discussion.

"Agreed", Kam replied to his sister and stood at her side as they slowly made their way to their destination while Janus and Veronica made a very convincing show of being non-threatening tourists.  Once they were near enough to be overheard while still seeming to trying to hide the conversation the prince stage whispered to his sister, "I told you we should have sent word."  he 'argued'  laying the groundwork for tense disagreement later.  When the officials approached he clammed up offering a polite greeting and apologizing for the suddenness of the visit gesturing at the foreigners, "We merely hoped to show our friends the marvelous work your people do here."

By putting the onus on the royals for arriving unannounced he hoped to give the Rose Spiders an excuse to skip the formalities of a normal visit by the Princess and Prince.  They'd hopefully get into the facility sooner and keep more focus on them than their entourage.

• 2 weeks later...

GM Post

As the royal twins arrived at the main production building there was a small crowd gathered to see their arrival. This was despite them not revealing there destination or anything, but then again why would anyone come to visit but to see there Daka crystal preparation?

Nervously waiting to meet them was a nervous looking woman not much older than the royals themselves, she did manage to give a warm smile as them stepped from the vehicle to the cheers of the crowd.

“Your royal highnesses my name is Zakiya and if it fine with you I’ll be your guide for today. I apologize but we weren’t expecting a visit today.”