Horrorshow

"Ooh!  I think I can help with that, too!," Davyd exclaimed after Pan's illuminating exhibition.  He held up his hands, and the tips of his fingers began to very, very faintly glow with a greenish-yellow light.  "I'd been studying fireflies and bioluminescent creatures.  There are tons of sea creatures that can do this, too, all sorts of jellyfish and squids, and anglerfish."  A stiff tentacle sprouted from the center of his forehead, and the end ballooned out slightly and also began to glow with a faint yellow-green light.  "Not sure how bright I can go, but if I can do this over my whole body, that might get a decent amount if light!"

As the night went on, Davyd experimented more with his bioluminescence, and gazed up in wonder at the stars. 

The next morning, Adam & Pan were met with a surprising sight: in his sleep, Davyd's form had "loosened," and now he was only a rough, hairless approximation of a humanoid form, with crude features and muddy red flesh!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stars were amazing, the view far better than any Pan had seen from Freedom City. He eagerly followed Veronica's hand as she pointed out the constellations, asking all the questiosn about the names that he could, offering his own ideas for what the constellations might look like... and wondering loudly just where the second star to the right was supposed to be.

---

Enhanced hearing had its advantages, and disadvantages. Like waking up way too early from noise and the like. Like a thumping from somewhere in the ship, even if he couldn't quite place it. Sitting up, he looked around, before speaking up in an attempt to rouse Davyd and Adam. "Do you hear that? Thump, thump, thump?"

Adam struggled to sleep. His early life of isolation meant that he had few opportunities to sleep anywhere but his own bed. He got used to sleeping at Claremont, but here? Here he was wide awake. He was fine, though. His enhanced physiology meant that the occasional sleepless night didn't hurt him much at all.

"What thump?" He said, unable to hear what Pan was talking about. 

Lulu slowly woke up to the rhythmic thumping as it penetrated into her sleep. Raising her head up from her pillow, her red hair in a loose bun on top of her head, the telepath didn't sense Veronica in the room. Her head swivelled towards the outside deck, and her eyes narrowed.

"She better not be doin' what ah think she's doin'," she muttered to herself.

Now wrapped in a warm bathrobe over her pajamas, a barefoot Lulu padded up onto the deck to see what was up.

Edited by Heritage

Veronica Danger

After getting the bathrobe on, Lulu opened the door in the cabin she shared with Veronica that opened onto the bow of the Horizon. Outside was Veronica, using the netting that stretched between the bows of the vessel's two hulls as a trampoline. The teen was in a one-piece swimsuit and as she flipped over and twisted around she spotted Lulu in the doorway.

"Morning Lulu." Veronica said mid-flip. "Sorry if I woke you, breakfast should be getting set up on the flybridge." The teenage Danger flipped over to land on her back on the netting, springing right back up to flip back to her feet.

"I will be up there in a little bit." Veronica added as she executed a front flip that carried her forward on the netting. One more bounce and the teen aimed her momentum so it carried her completely forward into a dive off into the water in front of the Horizon

Her eyes adjusting to the light, Lulu saw the vessel was stationary, a small island about half a mile away.

"The thump, thump, thump, of course." Pan replied, rather matter of fact. "There is a rhytm to it."

And then, a splash?

Pan was out of the room before he took any chance to explain more to Adam or Davyd, a trail of pixie dust being all that he left behind as he flew up to the main deck, then out, up, over, and around to reach the net, hovering above it and Lulu. He looked around, turning his head, listening intently, trying to find out whatever it was. Curiosity? Alarm? It was hard to tell. Unlike Lulu, Pan had not really taken the time to get dressed, hovering above in just his boxers, not that he seemed to care or notice.

"What happened? What was that splash? And the thump, thump, thump?"

Edited by RocketLord

Veronica Danger

Flying out onto the main deck before going over the top of the flydeck, Pan caught a glimpse of some of the crew members setting out equipment, but did not stop to take a closer look. As he came to a halt above the net at the front of the boat, he heard a voice from up on the flydeck behind him.

"It was just Veronica, getting a bit of acrobatics practice in using the netting as a trampoline before a morning swim." Said Prudence, who was standing toward the front of the flydeck, a cup of coffee in one hand. The seemingly omnipresent personal assistant to Veronica and Janus was dressed as casually as Pan had ever seen her dress, wearing a one-piece bathing suit, over which she wore a loose fitting white cover-up and a wide brimmed hat.

Looking out over the water, Pan saw that the Horizon was moored about half a mile from a small island. There was a reef that seemed to stretch around this side of the island only a short distance away, and after few moments he spotted Veronica swimming in the clear blue water near the reef.

"Its fine," she said to Veronica with a wave of her hand. "Nothin' wrong with gettin' up a bit early." Since she was already up and on deck, Lulu shrugged and headed to the flydeck for a light breakfast. Soon she was seated in her bathrobe with her legs tucked under her, sipping a cup of coffee with a plate of scones and jam balanced on her lap, enjoying the salty sea breeze as she waited for the others to join her.

Edited by Heritage

Horrorshow

While Pan's keen hearing got him up quickly, and Adam's habits had him not sleep easily in the first place, Davyd was another matter entirely.  He was deeply asleep, dead to the world, with only the snores rippling through his gelatinous flesh giving any indication that he was still among the living.  Pan's initial attempts to wake his cabinmate yielded no result, and the conversation between Pan & Adam drew out a muffled grunt from the young Grueling.

Eventually the commotion from his classmates forced one eye open, then another.  And then another, and another, and another.  "Hunh?  What's going on?"  He rose from his bed, shook himself awake (and back to his human form), and made his way to the deck.  "Morning already?," he asked with a yawn.

"Ah, I see..." Pan shook his head at the thought. Getting up early for practice? No, that was not exactly something that he would have the patience to do, was it now? "Thank you!" With that, he was gone, a trail of golden dust behind him as he flew out towards the reef. 

He stopped above, looking down at Veronica with a wide grin as he hang upside down. "I thought someone might have fallen overboard. And not on purpose!"

Veronica Danger

As Pan flew over to hand upside down above her, Veronica rolled over into a backstroke as she looked up. "Well, never hurts to keep on your toes." She replied with a small grin of her own. "Besides, we have a lot to do today, so everyone was going to need to be getting up soon anyway."

As Davyd and Adam made their way up from their cabin they found two crew members setting out an assortment of diving gear on the main deck. In addition to air tanks, there what appeared to be vests of various sizes, flippers, masks, snorkels, and other equipment. Being directed up to the flybridge, the pair found Prudence and Lulu waiting for them, a variety of food set out on the table where they had eaten dinner the night before.

"Good morning." Prudence said with a smile. "It probably would not be good to have too big of a breakfast before diving this morning." She added as she indicated the setout food.

• 2 weeks later...

Adam winced. It wasn't meant personally, of course, but Adam could put away a lot of food if he wanted. "I'll certainly take that under advisement." 

With that said, he set to eating. He still ate more than most, but for him, it was a light meal. The food was amazing, of course. Despite his size and appetite, Adam had impeccable table manners. He felt like a freak enough without worrying about his manners, too.

Horrorshow

Davyd had two cups of coffee (one black, one with cream & sugar) and an assortment of fruit, yawning and stretching the whole time.  "'s'funny," he said, to no one in particular, indeed staring off with unfocused eyes, "all the things my body can do, all the ways it can adapt -- to cold, to heat, to breathing water, or volcano fumes, to being able to eat or drink pretty much anything -- but I still need a solid eight hours of sleep every night.  Well," he chuckled, "not solid," he raised one hand up, which had shifted to his natural muddy jell-o consistency, then back again to Ukrainian flesh and bone, "but you know what I mean, yeah?  But how come that is?  There are plenty of animals that need hardly any sleep, or never sleep.  Like fish, and dolphins -- many of them have, like, this thing where just a part of their brain sleeps, but the other part's awake, so they can keep swimming and keep an eye out for predators.  I should be able to do that, yeah?  Or maybe I can't yet, since teens need more sleep or something."

Veronica Danger

Veronica eventually swam back to the aft of the Horizon, climbing up out of the water onto the platform on one of the vessel's hulls. Grabbing a towel, she began drying herself off as she made her way up to the flybridge where the others were gathering while Pan when to get dressed. "Everyone ready for a crash course on SCUBA diving?" The teenage Danger asked as she grabbed some water and a powerbar.

Once everyone was done with breakfast, Veronica led them back down to the main deck where the crew had set out the dive equipment. Over the next half an hour, Veronica and several of the crew went over the various equipment: how to attach the tank to the harness and attached buoyance control device (BCD); how to attach the "octopus" (containing the main regulator, spare regulator, BCD attachment and air gages) to the tank and then the uses of each. There were a number of different masks, snorkels, weight belts and fins for each teen to choose from as well.

After the crash course was over everyone went to change for their practice dive. As the dive would be staying in shallower water, Veronica opted to remain in just her one-piece swimsuit. By the time the other teens had changed and made their way back up to the deck, Veronica and a couple of crew members had moved everyone’s diving gear down to the rear platform of one of the Horizon's hulls. The teenage Danger was strapping a dive knife onto the side of her right calf and had a black watch on her left wrist, her weight belt already around her waist.

"Okay, lets gear up." Veronica called out to her friends with a smile a she picked up her tank and harness, slipping the BCD vest on and tightening all the straps. The crew helped the others as Veronica finished getting her mask, snorkel and flippers. "Remember, off the platform we go down about thirty feet and gather together, from there we will swim over toward the reef and explore along its outer edge for about twenty minutes, then surface and make our way back to the Horizon."

Once everyone was ready, the teenage Danger jumped off the platform into the clear blue waters, sinking down towards the bottom below. A Veronica approached the bottom some thirty feet under the waves, she used the thick black hose attached to her BCD to inflate the vest with a little bit of air to provide her with enough buoyance so she would remain at her current depth. She then swam off to the side slightly as she looked up towards the surface, waiting for her friends to join her, bubbles from her regulator as she exhaled slowly rising up above.

Pan pulled a bit on the diving suit. It was just a bit tight, he much prefered using his usual outfit, but this was how it was. All these tools, all these things, it was a lot. Not exactly what he was used to when exploring, but if that was how it was in this world, then it might be good.

He listened, of course, but it wasn't quite easy to keep attention on the long explanations, but with some help, he was able to secure all the tools and things and flippers, not that he really thought he needed those silly flippers.

Looking after Veronica, he looked at the others and moved the mouth piece away. "Shall we, my friends?"

Placing the mouthpiece back, he jumped into the water, quickly pushing himself down with his glittering pixie dust flowing into the water around him, keeping him level with Veronica once he reached her.

Horrorshow

Davyd had similar difficulties staying focused on the lessons.  I can turn into a fish, a shark, an octopus, a crab - what do I need air tanks and masks and snorkels and weight belts for?  His focus drifted to the waters around them, the marine life just under the surface.  And yet, a nagging thought kept pulling at him.  But what if I lost control of my powers?  I've only had them for about two months, I've still got a lot to learn.  Or what if they fail altogether?  I could drown before I reached the surface!  No, no, I'd better focus on this.  And so he did, or at least tried his best to, and helped reiterate various points to Pan, to make sure he himself was getting it right.

When the time came, he opted for the bare minimal kit, for two reasons.  First, to minimize the amount of equipment he might damage during any sudden shapeshifts, though he was reasonably certain he could shift around things, or incorporate them into any form he assumed.  Secondly, by keeping the gear at a minimum, this forced him to consider it as a backup, and focus on the controlled use of his abilities.  Which was why, by the time he'd joined Veronica and Pan underwater, he had shifted into something like the headliner from Creature from the Black Lagoon.

• 1 month later...

Lulu was not super-athletic by nature, and a childhood spent slathered in sunscreen meant she hadn't been a big beachgoer, but she could still swim well enough. She opted for maximum skin coverage, a full wetsuit that wrapped around her very nicely, proving that some people really do look good in everything. Looking down at herself, the telepathic redhead chuckled.

"Oh mah goodness! Ah look like a Bond girl! Good thing ah had a light breakfast, because this outfit ain't hidin' nothin'."

After double-checking all her gear, she gave Adam a quick peck on the cheek, then put in her mouthpiece and jumped overboard. Soon she made her way down to others without much difficulty, giving Veronica a thumbs up.