Davyd circled the boat a few times (this is amaaazing!!!) before diving down the left stairwell and in through the doorway after Adam and the crewman.  Seeing he'd have less room to maneuver in, he attempted to morph back into his human form, but made the mistake of doing so while still in the air.  The sudden shift in his center of gravity sent him toppling over, past his classmate and their guide, and he landed hard on his butt, between the bunk beds. 

And completely naked.

"Well, that could've gone... ACK!"  He quickly drew his legs up and wrapped his arms around them.  "I must've changed out of my clothes -- because I wasn't wearing one of the school-issued outfits," he slapped his forehead, "which means the outfit I wore's still back on the tender!"  He stretched one arm out to his suitcase and dragged it towards him, opened it and began rummaging through, "I know I packed one in here..."

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ha, that is amazing, Davyd!" Pan called out, as the bird took to the air and flew alongside him, around the ship. Oh, now this was only proper! For adventures at sea, they needed a companion like this! He circled around with Davyd a few times, laughing all the while, before coming down and following the rest to their quarters. 

Landing and walking in the tight quarters, Pan whistled as he saw the room, before Davyd came falling before them. "Come now, this is not that kind of trip, Davyd! Cover your shame!" Raising his hand, Pan threw some Pixie Dust in Davyd's direction, an image of a pair of white boxer shorts with big red parrots appearing over him, while Pan laughed.

Adam had peeked in at the room, nodded with an approving smile, and peeked back out just before Davyd landed. He blinked, thought about turning around, and just headed back to where the others were. He hadn't bothered to change. He wondered, briefly, how long he could hold his breath for, but he wasn't sure he wanted to test it.

When he heard Lulu say she felt pretty, he bit his tongue. He didn't want to annoy the others with how much of a lovesick teenager he was. However, he agreed with her assessment. One benefit to dating a telepath? He could communicate his compliments without bothering the others. 

"The accommodations are amazing. I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. I'm going to write down everything that happened on this trip and send it to my parents. They'll be delighted."

"

• 1 month later...

Veronica Danger

Veronica gave a small smile as Lulu suggested sharing the massive bed. "It is a big bed, but you know in the years I have spent traveling to distant corners of the world I have never really gotten used to sleeping on soft matrasses. I find my simple hammock much more comfortable." She replied before Lulu made her way into the shower to clean up after the rather wet trip across the channel.

When Lulu came out of the shower, she found that Veronica had already put up her hammock. The teenage Danger had also changed into a half-wet suit that only covered half her legs and had short sleeves, leaving her tone and tan arms almost completely bare. She gave a broad smile at Lulu’s comment about feeling pretty. "I would say you look it as well." She added.

"Now, shall we go see what the boys are up to as we get underway? We have one more stop for a bit more sight-seeing before we set sail for to the location of the wreck. We should reach the site by the morning."

"Sure, happy to!" The young telepath was very eager for Adam to see her new look, but she also knew that running around on the deck of a ship was a bad idea, at least if the Pirates of the Caribbean films were remotely accurate. So instead, inspired by the locale and loose and flowing nature of her garments, she tucked her arms behind her back and adopted a rather goofy rolling gait, theoretically inspired by sailors of old, but really more like Gene Kelly twice removed. As she came up on deck humming 'Blow The Man Down', she looked a radiant and very happy, and also quite silly.

"Ahoy hoy!"

Adam stepped into the room and was immediately at a loss for words. 

"I consider myself an eloquent man, but words fail me, Lulu." He smiled as he gave her a brief appraisal. "I can think of things to say, but I'll keep most of them to myself." He had traded the long sleeve shirt out for a lightweight t-shirt. He wasn't afraid of stares from his friends. He did not like his scars, but he appreciated that his powers gave him a trim, powerful physique. 

Davyd had found the morphic molecule outfit he'd brought from Claremont, a pair of swim trunks and a tank top, both blue with gold vertical stripes.  He followed Adam & Pan up to the deck, and joined Adam in his wide-eyed admiration for Lulu's appearance.  He slapped Adam once, sharply, on the back (perhaps a bit harder than he'd intended), "you're one lucky guy."

Hearing Lulu's humming, he morphed into an copy of that movie franchise's version of Davy Jones, with mottled green skin, tentacle beard, lobster arm & claw for a left arm & hand, and the right leg of a crab as a pegleg.  His clothing did not shift into those of an early 1700s Dutch sea captain, but remained the same shorts & tank top, making his appearance even odder.  "Yo ho, me hearties!  Looks like we get a bit more time fer some Arrr an' Arrr, 'fore we get to the treasure, so let's make the most of it!"

Pan gave an approving nod, floating around in the air behind Davyd and Adam as they looked like they were just about ready to compete on who could give Lulu the best compliments, but Pan decided to leave it at that. Yes, yes, Lulu was very pretty, but there was adventure to be had! 

He moved past and around Lulu and Davyd, grimacing at the strange man with tentacles for a beard, a claw for a hand and a crab leg, and a decided pale color. "I liked the parrot better." Probably some sort of reference that he did not get. 

Instead, he moved to Veronica, smiling and making a small bow. He should probably have changed in something more practical too, but he was fine with the set he had been wearing since their arrival. "You look all ready for some danger." He couldn't help himself. He was still in awe of her name. "Where to next?"

Veronica

Veronica gave a small smile at Pan’s comment. "It is always good to be ready for a little danger, makes life interesting." She replied, her smile widening as she began strapping some sort of harness around her waist. "I was telling Lulu that we will get underway tonight, so the rest of the afternoon can be for some more sightseeing."

"The Horizon will move over near a national park on the eastern most island." She added as she picked up what looked like a snowboard. "I will meet you all over there."

The teenage Danger then gave her friends a smile as she walked back down to the extended platform at the end of one of the massive catamaran's hulls. One of the crew members was waiting for Veronica, with what looked like a large, brightly colored U shaped paraglider. After sitting down at the edge of the platform and securing her feet into her board which rested on the water, the teenager hooked the cables from the U shaped gilder to her harness. Once it was secure, the crew member released the gilder and Veronica stood up as the wing caught the guilder and was then being pulled quickly away from the Horizon on her board in a generally northeaster direction.

Once Veronica had left, the crew member made his way back up to the main deck of the Horizon and the platform began to retract back into the hull. "We should be underway momentarily." Prudence stated to the other teens. "Unless any of you are planning to follow after Veronica under your own power," Prudence glanced slightly at Pan, "you are welcome to come up to the flydeck, where the views are better." She indicated the upper deck above where the group was standing.

Sure enough, it was not long before the Horizon was underway as well, although by motor for the moment, moving back out into the channel and turning east. Those that followed Prudence up to the upper deck did find the extra high did provide for some great views of the nearby islands and the channel. The brightly colored parasail made it rather easy to spot Veronica in the distance as she appeared to follow a zig-zag pattern across a large part of the channel, gradually working her way east.

It was not quite an hour later that the Horizon started to slow down as it drew near the south end of a large island that sat at the eastern end of the channel. Several boats of various kinds were moored just off the shore of the island, and the massive catamaran took up a position a little further out than the other vessels. But what quickly drew the attention of the Claremonters still aboard was the beach along this section of the shoreline.  While it had the bright sandy beaches they had seen on other islands they had passed on the relatively short trip, it also was covered with massive boulders that stretched out into the water.

"That is the Baths National Park." Prudence stated as she looked over towards the shore. "We will get the launch ready to take you ashore. There are masks, snorkels and flippers for anyone that may be interested as well."

Pan whistled at the sight as Veronica pulled away by the power of the wind and sea. Having already moved to the edge of the platform as well, he could only grin as Prudence as she glanced at him. "It appears that my reputation precedes me!" A proud statement, with him placing his hands at his side and thrusting his chest forward, before shifting into a deep bow to everyone at the deck. "I do believe I will do just that!" Then, he jumped back, almost seeming to float for a brief moment as the wind caught him, before launching himself towards the sea in an explosion of golden dust, much like fireworks.

Twisting himself around to avoid flying on his back, he headed directly for Veronica. It did not take long catch up, where he slowed down considerably to match her pace, slowly lowering his feet until they touched the water, so it seemed like he rode the waves alongside Veronica, holding his hands out to the sides to keep his balance. "Care to race?" He matched her zig-zag patterns across the channel, staying close, matching her every move, without overtaking her. This was plenty fast, anyway, especially when he stood on the water like this.

• 1 month later...

Lulu accepted the praise with a little pink in the cheeks (She had been fishing for it, after all), and then of course Davyd had to be his usual weird and goofy self. "Oh mah goodness, look at you!" With a wave of her hand, she adopted Elizabeth Swann's puffy shirt, boots and tricorner hat from Dead Man's Chest, and produced a cutlass out of thin air as she stood between Davy Jones and Adam, blade at the ready. "Stay back, you villain! You shant have him!" Her English accent wasn't half bad!

As the plans for the day were explained, Lulu let her illusionary costume fade away, and she could only watch and marvel as Veronica made her dramatic departure, shaking her head in a mixture of admiration and disbelief. "How does she do that? How does she make her whole life look like the opening scene in a James Bond movie? Unbelievable." Turning back towards Adam and Davyd, she shrugged. "Well hell, view from the flydeck sounds good to me!"

As they approached the island, she sent her vision ahead to scout the rocky beach, and she clung to her boyfriend's arm with excitement. "Ooh, what do you think? Should we try it?"

Edited by Heritage
  • 2 weeks later...

Veronica Danger

Veronica had not gone particularly far when Pan caught up with her and slowed down to match her pace as he flew across the surface of the water. The teenage Danger gave him grin. "Your on." She called out, over the sound of the wind as she guided her board towards a wave ahead of them. Just as she went over the wave, Veronica pulled down on the control bar for the sail, the result was the wind pulled her up into air over a dozen feet. She let the bar pull forward again, as she wind carried her through the air for a good distance, before again pulling back on the bar as she started to come back down, slowing her descent to allow her to smoothly land back on the waves and continue along once more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly after the Horizon reached the rock covered shoreline of one of the larger islands, the crew set about launching one of the vessel’s tenders to get any of the three remaining teens ashore that wanted (or needed) a lift. Mentally scanning the shore and rocky terrain, Lulu picked up a few dozen tourists, most just enjoying the unusual scenery and the shallows created by the rocks that jutted out into the water. A number had turned their attention to the Horizon, the massive vessel certainly one to draw attention.

Davyd had considered joining Victoria and Pan up in the air, but the recent troubles he'd had with turning into a bird (and back) discouraged him.  Why do I have so much trouble with avians?  Is it the hollow bones?  The feathers?  The aerodynamics?  No, probably not that last one.  I really should practice more.  His eyes wandered from the two airborne comrades to Lulu, and Adam, lingered there a moment, then looked towards the approaching shoreline.

He politely declined a ride in a tender, instead diving off the Horizon and swimming ashore, starting as a moon jellyfish, then a sting ray, and finally coming ashore as a large crab.  He scuttled up to Lulu and Adam and resumed his human form, "so, how much time do you think we've got until we head down to the wreck?  Think we'll have time to entertain some of the locals?"

Oh, this was good. Pan turned around, flying on his back with his arms behind his head. He whistled as Veronica came down from the jump, then spun around himself while he flew over by her, keeping up with her on her little board and sail.

"Impressive, but is that all?" She was good, yes, but was that all the speed she could muster? "I thought this was going to be a race!"

Winking, he sped up again, making a wide turn towards the shore and the others.

Edited by RocketLord

Veronica Danger

Veronica continued to grin as she continued to guide herself across the surface of the water, the sail pulling her at speeds approaching fifty knots. But of course, her speed was limited by the available wind, but still, there was a certain exhilaration to using the wind to travel in such a way.

A short while later Veronica and Pan caught back up with the Horizon and Veronica pulled over to the catamaran and brought her sail back down to the water. After getting the sail hauled in and deflated, the teenage Danger removed her harness and opted to swim her way to shore to join her friends on the beach and in exploring the rocky shoreline and the caves formed by the massive boulders.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few hours later everyone was back aboard the Horizon as the sun was starting to get low to the west. The massive catamaran was underway once more, this time heading southeast out into open ocean and away from the islands where they had spent the afternoon. The teens had all had a chance to shower and change and were now seated around the large table that sat in the center of the fly deck, which had been set for dinner.

In addition to Prudence, Dr. Durant and the rest of her research team were present for the dinner, as was the Horizon's captain, an forty year old American, James Armstrong. The first course had been set out, fresh salads and bread.

Veronica, who was once again dressed in her typical cargo shorts and t-shirt, had opted for a glass of white wine and took a sip as she glanced around the table at her friends and the Danger Institute employees. Setting her glass down, she looked over to Dr. Durant. "So doctor, my friends have been very curious about learning more about what we know about the wreck."

"Not very much I am afraid." Dr. Durant replied as she produced a stack of photographs which were passed among the Claremont students. "She is lying at a depth of approximately thirty meters. As you can see from the photographs, it is in remarkably good condition and appears to be relatively in one piece."

Adam wore a pair of cargo shorts and a black t-shirt. He was very self-conscious, but it was either that, or suffer in the heat. 

He was a fastidious eater, always conscious of his movements and eager to prove that his lack of physical grace didn't mean a lack of social grace..

He ruminated on the ship while he ate. He anticipated that his powers could prove useful in this situation. He was pretty sure he could handle the dive with or without equipment, for example.

"Fascinating." he mumbled to himself. He was eager to see what was down there, and also afraid that his strength would prove overwhelming. He needed to be extremely careful around the wreckage. 

Davyd had spent most of his time ashore entertaining the folks there, mostly doing impersonations of the tourists and of various celebrities.  With help from Lulu's illusions, they were even able to recreate some film scenes, though the tourists would be surprised when they checked their phones later and found the illusory scenery and background extras had not recorded.

Back aboard the catamaran, he'd showered and changed, and now wore sky blue shorts and a white tee shirt.  He picked at the salad -- he wasn't overly fond of vegetables or chilled foods, and figured he could hunt for something later if hunger struck later in the evening.  But the photographs Doctor Durant passed out distracted him from any concerns about food.  "So, what exactly is the plan here?  Are we just headed down to examine it, take pictures?  Or are we going to try bringing stuff up?  Maybe even bring the whole ship up?"

The race had been fun, and fast, and Pan had spent most of the rest of the day chatting with Veronica, floating along with her as she swam and generally keeping her company. Now seated for dinner, he saw little need to let Veronica be the only one with a glass of wine. He prefered it red (or maybe some rum instead), but he had to admit that white wine was a better fit for the salad and bread. 

Still dressed in the same clothing as earlier, which he managed to still look great, of course, he carefully picked at the salad with his fork. It was not that he was picky, he just wasn't entirely fond of salad. He looked up at the photographs. Sunken ships. There could only be one answer to Davyd's question, as far as he was concerned.

"What about treasure?" There was a certain rare shine in his eyes, while he handed the pictures to the next at the table. "This is a sunken ship, is it not? There is bound to be treasure on something like that, no?"

Veronica Danger

Luckily for those who were not too fond of salad it was not too long before the main course was served, which consisted of a couple different types of cooked fish.

"Trying to raise a sunken vessel that has been on the ocean floor for a couple hundred years is a difficult operation." Dr. Durant replied to one of Davyd's questions. "While it does appear mostly intact, that long of exposure to the water and pressure is sure to have weakened it. But an equally important consideration is that over the past few hundred years, this vessel has become part of the ecosystem around it."

The Frenchwoman indicated some of the pictures being passed around. "As can been seen in many of those picture, large sections of the vessel have become overgrown with various plants and coral. Moving it would cause significant damage to the ecosystem."

"Something we do not want to do." Veronica stated. "No, the plan is primarily to get a closer look to see what more we might be able to learn about the vessel. If the conditions are right, we might even try to enter the wreck. Hopefully there will be some artifacts which we will be able remove without significant ecological impact. And we will certainly be photographing as much as we can."

The teenage Danger then leaned back in her chair slightly as she looked over to Pan. "And as for treasure, we will just have to wait and see what we find down there. But given the general condition of the vessel, there are good odds that there will be something of interest inside."

Of course, of course, it's an artificial coral reef now, Davyd thought to himself, we can't just go tearing that up.  Duh.  Stupid, stupid...

"Y-yeah, of course," he replied demurely.  "So, uh, when are we planning to go?  In the morning, when it's light out?  Or is it deep enough that light can't reach it, so we'd have to bring our own lights anyway?  And do you have, like, special tasks for us, based on our strengths and weaknesses?"  He looked around at his fellow Claremonters, settling first on the Forever Boy.  "Pan, you're amazingly maneuverable in the sky, but how well do you move underwater?  Lulu," he turned to her, though did not quite make eye contact, instead focusing on her forehead, "could you scout ahead with your brain powers, maybe warn us of any hungry sharks in the area?  And Adam," he shifted to Lulu's boyfriend, again not quite making eye contact, focusing instead on his arms and torso, "you can... uh... you... hunh."  He chewed his lower lip, "I just realized, I'm not quite sure what your deal is.  I know you're really strong and tough, but..." he shrugged.

"No touching, then." Pan crossed his arms and made a solemn nod. "We would not want to disturb the fish."

Then he took a nice big bite of the fish in front of him, chewing it with a huge grin on his lips.

He looked thoughtful again, at Davyd's questions, then directed his own at Lulu. "I wonder... what does the mind of a fish even look like? Would it even be nice for you to be in the mind of something so small? I would imagine the mind of a shark would just be focused on eating, so perhaps they would all be hungry?" Without waiting for a response, he turned to Davyd. "Flying is flying, my friend. Above or below, it just means I have to push a bit more."

• 3 weeks later...

"Oh yeah, ah can sense all kinds of stuff, at good range, too. Also ah could probe ahead better than one of them little mini subs, 'cause ah can send mah sight through walls." But then she frowned. "Of course, if it gets too dark, mah vision ain't so hot. No infrared or low light." She was eagerly enjoying her salad, and had absolutely no problem drinking a glass of sangria with it; it was, however, a little scary seeing her slosh around the red liquid as she wore a lovely white beech dress, her red hair cascading over one bare shoulder. "Adam is very strong," she assured Davyd with a slight shake of her head. "And can hold his breath longer than any pearl diver; he'll be amazin' down there." Her cheeks glowed from a mixture of Spanish wine and love for her boy as she gazed upon him and smiled radiantly.

In response to Pan's question, she cringed and shook her head. "No, ah tried that once when ah was like twelve or thirteen, you now, pushin' mah powers to read our dog's mind? And it was...unpleasant."  She held up a hand. "Like, it didn't make me hate our dog or nothin', but it was just too alien for me to feel comfortable in there, know what ah mean? Ah think we might be better off just pretendin' we know what they think, is all."

Edited by Heritage

Veronica Danger

"Well, while it is pretty deep, with clear skies we should have a decent amount of light, at least on the exterior." Veronica replied to one of Davyd’s questions. "If we make a decision to enter the wreck, we will have to bring our own light."

"The plan for tomorrow is a short, shallow dive earlier in the morning to get those that will be using SCUBA gear familiar with it and to just get us all accustomed to operating underwater. Then we will make our first trip down by later in the morning." The teenage Danger continued. "After that we will have to see how many more trips we might need to make that afternoon or over the next few days."

As the meal continued and the group talked about plans for exploring the wreck, the Horizon’s massive sails were unfurled, the vessel shifting completely to wind power thanks to the steady breeze that was blowing from the west.

Pan grimaced at Lulu's explanation. "I imagine a fish would be more alien still... and much more cramped. Let us not do that, if it can be helped." There was some clear worry in his voice, he shuddered for a second, before returning to his usual self as he adressed Veronica. 

"Well, even if there are no clean skies, I can always make some light." Pan, as ever eager to show off, held up his hand, glowing fireflies flying around it, illuminating his face, before they disappeared again. 

He lifted his glass, looking around at the others, as he proposed a toast. "To adventure, then!"

Veronica Danger

Veronica gave a small smile at Pan’s glowing fireflies trick. "Elizabeth used something similar when we were exploring the pyramid of Sanakht in Egypt over Spring Break, so looks like we have a few non-traditional light sources for once we are down there."

The teenage Danger picked up her own glass at Pan's toast. "To adventure!" She replied with a wide grin.

During the remainder of the meal the Claremont students and Danger International personnel engaged in various conversation as the Horizon sailed towards the site of the wreck. After dinner Veronica remained up on the flydeck for awhile. As the night grew darker those that had remained were treated to a dazzling array of stars that filled the sky, as well as the dark clouded mass of the spiral arm of the galaxy that stretched across the entire sky.

Laying on her back on one of the long lounge seats in the center of the flydeck, Veronica did her best to point out various constellations among the vast number of stars that completely filled the sky.

The next morning Lulu was awoken by a faint, almost rhythmical thumping noise that she more felt through the hull of the ship rather than actually heard. Glancing across the dimly lit room, she saw Veronica was not in her hammock. The sound seemed to be coming from the front of the vessel, just outside the window of the master cabin she and Veronica shared.