Silence Like A Cancer Grows (IC)

'Ashley wouldn't want me talking to you'? Lulu filled that tidbit away for future analysis, but chose not to comment on it at the moment. Definitely a peek behind he curtain, but a small one. Instead she focused on happier subjects.

-Oh, my fosters are amazing! I haven't felt this free and safe for a long time. They took me to England for Christmas, and then we went to Fiji for New Years, because they're crazy stupid rich! I'll have to introduce you to them sometime.-

A wave of reflected contentment washed over Judy like the surf on a Hawaiian beach.

-Do you and Ashley have foster parents over here, or are you considered wards of Miss Summers?

I'm not supposed to talk about that. Operational security. You never know who might be a Grue! The last thought came through loud, the mental equivalent of a startled yelp. We-we'll be okay, Lulu. We're going somewhere for the summer but we'll be back in the fall, probably. She hesitated, then went on, I don't really know what's going to happen next year. I came here to learn how to control my powers, and so far that's been going pretty well. I haven't even had to use them in a real fight, which is exactly what I want. 

Lulu frowned at the term 'operational security', which suggested...what, exactly? An outside agency of some kind? Superhero or governmental? So. Many. Questions!

Then suddenly a pang of guilt shot through her heart; did she really want to help Judy, or did she just want to lure her into revealing more details about herself? Now deeply conflicted, she started pondering exit strategies.

-I'm glad you're both okay. I...don't want you to get in trouble for talking to me. You and Ashley have a...special bond, and I'd never want to threaten that.-

Edited by Heritage

It's okay, Judy reassured her, it's not like she can tan my hide for getting out of line. But it is getting pretty late, and we should both probably get to bed. Fumbling around in her nightstand for a moment, Judy found both her book and her booklight. Using those made her feel old, but it beat falling asleep with her phone in her hand and burning it out - again. She ran her fingers over the cover of the book, thinking about the author who'd died recently, and wishing her parents had done something about it. Shaking off the mood, she thought, Thanks for talking to me, Lulu. But seriously, you can't peek in here again without it just being in my head, because Ashley will for real track you down, ha-ha. 

Lulu sighed and nodded, feeling a bit better about the whole conversation.

-Yeah, it's pretty late; I'll let you get to bed. Thanks for talking.-

The redhead reached over and turned out the light, then settled into her bed.

-You're a good person, Judy, and you deserve to be happy. I hope we can be friends; you know, in the 'real world'.-

And then, just before she drifted off-

-Good night...-