A Different Kind of Justice

Ms Bright

Bright was a brawler so she didn’t spend any time congratulating herself, instead setting herself back up for the next blow.

I’m going to do much more than just touch you, if you don’t back down I’m going to give you the beating of your live.”

A little bravado, but the best fight was one when you’d enemy didn’t want to fight. And now that she’d hit the irritating woman she would have her guard up that little bit more.

Still she tried to get in another hit before the woman regained enough sense to strike back.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

The woman flapped her wings, struggling and just managing to avoid Ms. Bright's follow up blow. She was still rubbing her face, slowly moving her hand back to look at the blood on it.

Under slightly torn mask, the woman's skin was pale, almost like pearl, though stained by the blood that flowed from previous blow. She seemed genuinely shocked, like she couldn't even understand that she had been hit in the first place. "You... I..." She had trouble finding words, her eyes flickering about, like she was trying to take in the entire scene around them at once.

• 3 weeks later...

Ms Bright

The initial punch must have made her a touch over confident as her follow on attacks were in no way as effect. She cursed softly to herself as she tried to refocus herself for a much better strike, taking a moment as it seemed that her opponent was recovering herself.

Look you might be a massive bitch, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still work together. Or we can punch it out for a few minutes, as that's always a fun option...”

It was a long shot, in a day of long shots, but it never hurt to try and you never knew.

GM

The woman almost shrieked, pulling away from Agnes by flapping her powerful wings, bringing her just out of reach of Ms. Bright's punch. She raised her hand again, a brilliant, blinding beam of light shooting out of it and in Ms. Bright's direction, attempting to hit the heroine's eyes. "Get away from me! ScumMonster! You touched me! You touched me!" 

She was clearly still panicking, moving her other hand up to cover her pearly white skin. With powerful movement from her wings, she brought herself up and away, further away from Ms. Bright, further into the sky.

Ms Bright

Agnes was having fun, fighting like this was always satisfying and it helped that the opponent was a bit of a dick.

Bit weird that I’m complete trash but can kick your skinny white arse. Maybe when the bruises finally go down you’ll reconsider your whole stance on this, though I’m going to have to keep pummelling you right now on principle.”

She lined up another punch, she was aware that it was a limited palette but it seemed to work so well in these kind of situations.

GM

"N-no! Get away!" The woman weakly tried to beat her wings at Agnes, but it was clear that the fight was all but out of her, especially as the next punch from Agnes sent her reeling, tumbling through the sky until she managed to flap her wings once more, stopping her fall.

More of her red costume had been torn, revealing the porcelain white skin underneath. It was an unnatural color, even more white than the skin of an albino. It might have looked pure, flawless even, if he not from bruises and blood caused by Ms. Bright's repeated blows. 

"D-don't touch me." Her voice was quivering, the fear more than clear. "You're j-just like he said y-you would be! All scum, all violent! Evil!"

Ms Bright

Agnes took a breath to steady her nerves, her hand bunched into fist as she tried to calm down. Since she’d woken up all those months ago she’d felt anger, but she wasn’t sure why she’d was. It was an almost daily struggle to keep her calm. But at heart she wasn’t a vindictive woman, and despite probably deserving it she stopped at pummelling her into unconsciousness.

No I’m not because whilst I could be vindictive and finish you off I’m not going to, I’m showing you mercy right now and I hope you appreciate it.”

She tried to smile reassuringly, probably only half successfully, and picked on something the woman had just said.

Why don’t you tell me who he is exactly?”

GM

The woman paused her quivering, moving further away from Ms. Bright. She didn't trust to stay too close, it seemed. "You haven't heard of him?" she scoffed, the hint of a laugh in her voice. "Just more proof that you are nothing but scum!"

The haughty tone was returning, like she was already forgetting the beating that Agnes had been in the process of giving her. Her lips, visible through her torn mask, twisted into a wicked smile. "He is the source of all real power! The one that gives all real heroes their power! Oh, they might come up with stories for the public, but he is the true source of all power! A true agent of the lord! Of course he wouldn't waste any power on scum like you!"

Ms Bright

Whilst Agnes wasn’t necessarily the sharpest tool in the draw she wasn’t stupid and she knew people pretty well.

If he’d that amazing maybe he could he could reach a poor soul like me, but of course you couldn’t trust me to go here like this. So let me tell you a little secret...”

She leant in as if telling a terrible secret, a massive bluff at this point.

My power are based on freedom, if you bound me them I’m completely helpless, and then I couldn’t harm him either way.”

GM

"Bound?" the Winged Wonder stared in disbelief. Then her lips twisted into a cruel grin. "Then your days are counted, scum!" She started waving light around her hands, quickly becoming a lasso of light.

With a triumphant laugh, the Winged Wonder moved her wings again, flapping them to get a bit of distance, then threw the golden glowing lasso of light towards Ms. Bright, while she laughed triumphantly.

Ms Bright

Agnes poker face was impeccable, and despite the desire to give the game away with a grin her face stayed po faced. Even when the lasso was off the mark Ms Bright managed to make it look like she was captured, though making sure it was loose enough for when she needed to escape the bounds. Also the fact that obviously she still had her full powers.

Well you got me just where you wanted, so what now?” she kept the grim tone of someone that wasn’t happy with this defeat.

It wasn’t easy, but she hope it would be worth it in the end.

GM

The winged wonder stared for a moment, at the golden lasso of light in her hand, and how it was wrapped tightly around Ms. Bright. It seemed obvious that she hadn't really thought that far yet. 

"I... Give me a moment."

She thought for a moment, before making her choice. "Fly with me, then. I''ll take you to the Priest. He will know what to do about you!"

Of course, she didn't even stop to think that Ms. Bright shouldn't be flying, if she had lost her powers...

---

It wasn't long before they arrived at a rundown church, not far from where they had fought. A man was standing outside, one that Ms. Bright would surely recognize. The large man that she had talked with earlier. "What do you think you are doing, Cross?"

The flying woman shook her head, her grin visible behind her ruined mask. "No, no, it's fine, Jonathan. Look!" She held up the glowing lasso of light in her hand. "She is bound, and she loses her powers when bound! I'm sure the Preacher can save her now! She might be scum now, but imagine if she is saved!"

• 3 weeks later...

Ms Bright

Agnes gave her best grimace when she saw the guy that she’d been talking to earlier, really with these acting skills she’d should consider some kind of career in the entertainment industry.

Well fancy meeting you here! Guess you forgot to mention all this earlier huh!”

She held up her “bound” hands making sure they looked securely attached, after all she only needed to keep up this masquerade for just a few minutes longer.

So let’s all go see the wizard shall we? Got a full day of stuff planned for the day!”

GM

"We have talked about this, Cross." Jonathan's tone seemed quite cross with Cross, as he crossed his arms and stepped closer to her. "They are not scum. They need to be saved, and kept safe from whoever's taking them off the streets. If you don't want to help, then just stay away." The winged woman's glare could almost be felt, but she remained silent.

Jonathan, the large man, leaned closer to the bound Agnes. He seemed to doubt it. "Loses her powers when bound? Just what kind of powers work like that?" Nonetheless, he stepped back, uncrossed his arms and held one out towards the church. "Go in, then. The Preacher will help, if he can."

"Yes, yes. I know how it works! He will make her see the light!" As bombastic as ever, the winged woman pushed Agnes forward, towards the massive doors to the church. She pushed one of them open, guiding Agnes inside.

Inside, the church was just as rundown as on the outside. Light shone in from holes in the ceiling. Smashed glass littered the floors. The benches were scattered around. At the altar, a large Jesus on the cross statue had been painted in neon colors. And yet, an old man kneeled by the cross, seeming to be praying. His hair was thin and graying. He was clad in a priest's robes. Moving closer, Cross stopped herself and Agnes about halfway down the aisle, waiting for the Preacher to finish his prayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Ms Bright

Agnes just wanted to punch all there smug face right here and now, but she knew that for now she needed to show a little cunning. Besides she was sure they’d be time for punching later. She stood patiently for a few moment as the preacher finished his prayers, calmly looking for potential ways she could quickly escape when necessary.

When the priest was finished she threw herself to her knees and raised up her hand in supplication.

Please oh father show me your way.”

It was a might over dramatic, but she figured it was something he’d really appreciate.

• 2 weeks later...

GM

Rising, the old man turned slowly and approached, only pausing when Agnes threw herself before him and called for salvation. The old man's skin was greying, maybe once Caucasian, but no longer. His eyes seemed unnaturally bright, almost like a light shone from them. He moistened his lips, dry from his prayers.

"Oh, my child, there is no reason for that. Of course I will help you." His voice was grandfatherly.

With his left hand, he made the sign of cross in front of himself, then reached out with his right and placed it on Agnes' shoulder.

"Come now, stand. I understand you had some trouble with my dear friend Crimson Cross. I am sure it was all a big misunderstanding."

The winged woman in red, this Crimson Cross, remained by the door, crossing her arms and scoffing. Jonathan remained close by, leaning against one of the pews in the old church.

Edited by RocketLord

Ms Bright

It took an effort not to just punch them all in there smug little faces right now, but she couldn’t do this right now without finding out what was going on here.

We had a difference of opinion, but we managed to thrash thing out successful. I feel I had the most forceful arguments which thankful led us to where we are today.”

She shot a quick glare at this Crimson Cross, if anyone was going to say something stupid, and revealing what was going on it would probably be her. She might believe in the cause but she didn’t like the people she was dealing with, which might be her way to find out and put her on the outs.

GM

If Ms. Bright had expected Crimson Cross to argue against her, she was happily surprised. "She has seen the light!" the winged wonder exclaimed, before crossing her arms. "But keep her bound, if the demons come over here again. It takes away her power!"

The old preacher leaned closer, staring at the bonds, then slowly turning his wrinkled face up to stare at Agnes again. "There is something about you, child. Something about this power of yours. It smells familiar, somehow." He paused again, stroking his chin as he pulled back. "Tell me, what is your name? What can you do? What wicked demon gave you these powers?"

Ms Bright

Agnes couldn’t help but smile at his statement, for a moment she considered spinning an elaborate story of woe but figured that actually the truth would probably do just as well as a fancy lie.

My past is unsure as to my origin, one day I woke up in an alley with no knowledge of how I got here. Whilst parts of the city seems familiar it sparks no memory of what had happened before.”

She stared defiantly into the pastors eye, showing that everything that she was saying was the truth.

On the streets the others call me Ms Bright, due to my control of light, if I have another name I don’t know it.”

Something inside her told her to protect her actual name, even through it could do no harm to tell others.

GM

"Light..." the old preacher muttered, reaching up with a hand. "Curious."

He stood back up to his full height. Up close, he somehow seemed taller. "We can do with some light, in these trying times. Come. I will show you the work." 

The old preacher led the way, towards the cross. Jonathan behind Agnes, Crimson Cross standing by the preacher. The preacher motioned towards the giant cross, and the winged woman pushed at it, revealing a hole behind it, with a lever. The old man pulled at it, and the floor they stood on started to descend, like an elevator, slowly falling into the darkness.

"Our work is might seem terrible at first, I know, but it is just. This city... Southside... it taints the people of the street. They grow selfish, cruel. Become nothing more than base animals."

Everything turned dark, as the descent continud.

"We bring them justice."

Ms Bright

Almost instinctively Agnes begin to gently glow, shedding a soft goldern light into the darkness. She was thankful that the glow wouldn’t show any of her emotions, though thinking about it she didn’t remember that ever happening. Where did that memory come from?

Bioluminescence, for some reason it just happens natural and I can’t do anything to control it.”

The whole speech he’d had given her reasons to be concerned, it sounded like the standard villain monologue stuff or at least someone with very misguided ideals. She was so tempted to just bust everyone up and be done with it, but she wanted to see what they had at the bottom so for now she’d have to ride this journey out.

GM

"I thought your powers didn't work when you were bound." Jonathan was clearly more suspicious than the others, but he seemed to let it go. Crimson Cross, for her part, seemed fascinated by the golden glow, hesitating to reach forward towards the light, before pulling her hand back.

The old preacher frowned in the light. "Well, if you must, but I like to think of this as a sacred darkness."

They continued down in silence for another moment, befoe coming out of the rock, into a large underground cave. How it could even be there was anyone's guess. It probably shouldn't fit here, under Southside. A long path stretched ahead, to a steep drop.

Of course, Agnes would probably first notice the powerful stench. Dirt, blood, rot. Coming from the direction of the drop ahead.

• 4 weeks later...

Ms Bright

Agnes had to careful consider her words, so not to say the wrong thing and upset them all. At least not until she’d discovered all the secrets going on here. But she couldn’t help but at least say something at this point.

“The darkness is nothing without the light. After all how can we enjoy the blanket of pure darkness without the extinguishing of the light?”

Hopefully this was enough because whilst the darkness was nice she was pretty much in favour of the light, being part of her schtick and all, and wasn’t sure she could bluff it out for very much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

GM

The preacher seemed to mull over Agnes' words, but he let it go. Jonathan looked like he was about to say something, but remained silent, as he led them further into the cave.

They entered a larger cave. The stench was overpowering here. A large hole before them was filled with bodies in various stages of decay. The missing homeless. 

"Do you see?" The preacher preached, throwing a hand out to show the pit. "We save them! And in turn, the Lord empowers us! We are right, we are just!"

Ms Bright

That was it, she’d hoped against hope that this was something else but it was what she’d expected a murder cult. The light that surrounded herself began to gain in intensity until it got almost to bright to bear. She began to float up into the air, anger burning in her eyes at how these people were treated.

How can you think this is helping people! We’re not talking a modest proposal here, you’re murdering people!”

She grinned, a grim note of humour at how she’d fooled them all.

Oh look I guess I didn’t lose my power after all, let me show you what the light can do against the darkness.”

She released her all the light she’d built up in her anger into a burst of light.