Nightlife (AKA “Graveyard Shift” AKA “Shifty”)Nightlife dead.jpg
Power Level: 8 (180/185 PP)
Unspent Power Points: 5

Trade-Offs: -2 Attack / +2 DC, -2 Defence / +2 Toughness

In Brief: Sometimes undead master of bones!

Catchphrase: “Time to die”, “I come alive at night!”

Themesong: Bon Jovi “Wanted Dead or Alive”

Alternate Identity: Ariel Cloud
Birthplace: Freedom City

Residence: Freedom City, Downtown
Base of Operations: Freedom City (Loiters around graveyards..)
Affiliations: None
Family: Death

Description:
Apparent Age: 22
Ethnicity: Caucasian. Sort of.
Height: 5’9”
Weight: 55 Kgs
Eyes: Green
Hair: Blondish.

Appearance:Nightlife Alive.jpg

As default, Nightlife is a palid, anorexic and wan figure that looks half dead at best. Her hair is half falling out and thin, her skin is as white as snow, and so thin you can see pale veins beneath. However, this 'betwixt life and death state is something that she would appear as if her alternate forms are nullified and she is unable to change back. 

When alive, she is a tallish, slimish woman with a healthy glow, olive skin, and short cut blonde hair, usually dressed in party / club clothes, and often with headphones on. 

When dead, her eyes become white, her skin takes on a slightly green hue, and her hair becomes shocking white. She often dresses more "punk" when undead. This form has a dusty constitution; she is able to reform it into whatever shape she pleases, including things like floating through the air and seeping through gaps and cracks. 

History:
Death is an abstract entity, its thread passing through Gods and Space and Time. And at one point in its infinite (and beyond) existence, Death decided to create life. A sort of experiment.

Death ground the bones of a thousand forgotten corpses to dust. In the cauldron of oblivion, he brewed the dust under enchanted moonlight, adding to his mix black orchids and mushrooms from the wild fae realms that were blacker still. The dying breaths of a thousand souls fell into the cauldron and from it was born the daughter of death.

She was human, really, as Death had intended. It was just that she was the daughter of death.

Death placed her on earth by an orphanage, another abandoned baby that grew through the care home system relatively unscathed, although many professed she was somewhat odd, especially at the dead of night. In fact, some souls were outright creeped by her!

By the time she was twenty, the Daughter of Death was a lover of life, a hit on the party scene, dancing and DJing her way to fame. She truly came alive at night.

And then she died.

She didn’t know quite how, but one frosty midnight, where the moon shone full and bright, she simply died. Not that that stopped her. Quite the reverse! She now understood that she was able to die whenever she pleased, becoming a creature of bone dust, a cloud of undeath.

Awesome! Now its time to be a superhero!

Personality & Motivation:

Nightlife is a confident, sassy, fun loving woman who loves a party. She is generally friendly and supportive, and has her finger on the pulse of night life (obs!). She has seen a fair bit of misery in the care home system, and seen plenty of problems on the streets (and she is very anti-drugs because of it). She has a love of superheroes, idolising many of them, and when she found out she had her own powers, she felt it only naturalise to become her heroes!

Powers & Tactics:

Nightlife can create bones out of her body on a whim, throwing them to injure, or ensnare her targets. They appear at rapid speeds and can explode when fired, creating even more havoc! She can also move any bones, and hence is able to move many living creatures (or even some corpses), even breaking them with her power.

She is highly resilient to injury and immune to any biological attack or need (such as sleep, food, or oxygen!).

Normally, she is what might be called “Super-Alive”! her skin glows, her senses are super acute, she heals remarkably quickly (particularly from serious injury) and as a result, she is very attractive.

She can become “undead”. In this form she is basically bone dust, although she can assume any shape, fly, and solidify her form.

However, Nightlife can only change from “dead” and “alive” forms at night. She will usually operate at night because of this. She prefers to use her “dead” status when a hero, as it preserves her identity, but she would not be averse to using her “alive” form for related espionage or social challenges, and even as a full blown hero (if she has a mask!)

It is possible that she can assume a “half-dead” form, either voluntarily or via something like nullify during the daytime (meaning she could not assume her dead or alive form). She becomes a rather pasty looking, normal woman in this case, deprived of the powers of death or life (although still able to command bones!)

Power Descriptions:
Nightlife’s only visible powers are the spontaneous creation and propulsion of bones from her body. She is able to move bones remotely, and can do this essentially invisibly.

Complications:
Daughter of Death: As Nightlife is linked to an abstract entity, she may be a person of interest to various other divine persons or abstract entities, or even worldly sorcerers. This may be a benign interest, but others may view her with suspicion or malice. Many supernaturally sensitive persons (such as shamans or witches) will be uneasy around her, recognising her for what she is. Some theologans or spiritualists may find her an abomination.

Dreadful Dust

Changing into her “dead” state causes a quite visible and lingering cloud of bone dust that can has a characteristic odour. This is far from subtle and may cause problems particularly if Nightlife is trying to be subtle or deceptive

Don’t Stop The Party

Nightlife is a party girl, prone to burning the candle at both ends, drink (although she doesn’t normally get drunk) and dance and PARTY. She is usually listening to music and can be distracted.

No Soul To Speak Of

Nightlife's soul is corrupted by her divine / abstract lineage. She has a soul and all the vulnerabilties of one, but on the flip side she has no advantages of a regular one in the most part. This means that beneficial effects like healing, boosting, and so on may well fail. 

Killing Trance

Of course, as a hero, Nightlife would never kill voluntarily. However, if she ever did, by accident or other circumstance, she would find the passing of that soul quite overwhelming to her own sensibilities (as existing behind life and death). At best, she will be fascinated, but quite possibly distracted disorientated or even catatonic!

Abilities: 0 + 2 + 0  + 2 + 4 + 10 = 18
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 12 (+1)
Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 12 (+1)
Wisdom: 14 (+2)
Charisma: 20 (+5)

Combat: 12 + 12 = 24
Initiative: +5
Attack: +6
Defense: +6, +3 Flat Footed

Grapple: +6
Knockback: -5

Saving Throws: 0 + 4 + 6 = 10
Toughness: +10 (+10 Protection)
Fortitude: Immune (Either as construct or complete immunity depending on alternate form)
Reflex: +5 (+1 Dex, +4)
Will: +8 (+2 Wis, +6)

Skills: 72 R = 18 PP
Bluff 4 (+9) [Potential additional +8 when Alive/Attractive in play]

Craft [Artistic] 4 (+5)

Craft [Electronic] 2 (+3)

Diplomacy 4 (+9) [Potential additional +8 when Alive/Attractive in play]

Intimidate 10 (+15)

Knowledge [Art] 4 (+5)

Knowledge [Pop Cultue] 4 (+5)

Knowledge [Streetwise] 4 (+5)

Notice 4 (+6) [Or 13 [+15] When in Alive Form)

Perform [DJ] 10 (+15)

Perform [Dance] 6 (+11)

Search 0 (+1) [Or 4 (+5) When in Alive Form)

Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Stealth 4 (+5)

Feats: 3PP
Benefit 1 [Wealth, Well Off]

Favoured Opponent: Undead

Improved Initiative 1

Powers: 30 + 37 + 30 + 10 = 107

All powers have divine and necromancy descriptors in addition to others noted.

Alternate Form 5 (Extras: Continuous, Feats: 1 Extra Alternate Form, Drawbacks: Can only activate/change at night [-1]) 30 PP “Life and Death!”

Base Form: “Alive!” [6 + 16 + 3 = 25 PP] (Glowing with health!)

Enhanced Attributes 6: Notice +9, Search +4, Attractive 2 (6 PP)

Regeneration 14 (+9 To recovery check, Disabled 2 [1/hour], Injured 3 [1/minute], Feats: Persistent, Regrowth) [16 PP]

Super Senses 3 (Extended 1/x10 to normal visual, auditory, hearing) [3 PP]

Alternate Form: “Dead” [-10 + 7 + 2 + 14 + 12 = 25 PP] (Cloud of bone dust)

Reduced CON to Zero (Becomes a construct) [-10 PP]

Flight 2 (25 mph, Extras: Continuous, Feats: Subtle) [7 PP]

Immunity 2 (Critical Hits) [2 PP]

Insubstantial 2 (Extras: Continuous, Feats: Selective, Subtle) [14 PP]

Morph 3 (Any Form, +15, Extras: Continuous)  [12 PP]

Bone Array (33 PP array, Feats: Alt Power 4) [37 PP] [Also Has Bone Descriptor]

BP: Blast 10 (Extras: Autofire, Feats: Variable Descriptor [Bone*], Improved Critical 2) [33/33 PP]

AP: Snare 10 (Extras: Autofire, Feats: Reversible, Improved Critical 2) [33/33 PP]

AP: Telekinesis 8 (40 STR, Extras: Damaging, Perception Range, Flaws: Limited to things with bones in them [-1], Feats: Precise, Subtle) [26/33 PP]

AP: Blast 8 (Extras: Burst Area, Feats: Progression, Decrease Area 8, [1-40’r], Variable Descriptor 1 [Bone*]) [33/33PP]

AP: Snare 8 (Extra: Burst Area, Feats: Progression, Decrease Area 8 [1-40’r], Reversible) [33/33 PP]

*Projected bones can be of variable form (i.e. Slashing/Piercing/Bludgeoning)

Immunity 30 (Fort Effects) [30 PP]

Protection 10 [10 PP]

DC Block

ATTACK            RANGE       SAVE                    EFFECT
Unarmed           Touch       DC 15 Tough             Damage
Bone Blast        Ranged      DC 25 Tough (Autofire)  Damage

Bone Cage         Ranged      DC 25 Reflex (Autofire) Snare

Bone Explosion    Range/Burst DC 25 Tough             Damage

Bone Cages        Range/Burst DC 25 Reflex            Snare

Totals: Abilities 18 + Combat 24 + Saving Throws 10 + Skills 18 + Feats 3 + Powers 107 =  180/185 Power Points

For some reason, although accounted for in Power Totals, I missed off the Immunity to Fort Saves (30 PP) and Protection 10 (10 PP) Powers which are now added in!

To clarify, Nightlife is always immune to Fort Saves. However, if at zero Con ("Dead!") this means she is a construct (and thus vulnerable to attacks with affects objects extra)), whilst if at normal, 10 Con ("Alive!") she is just plain immune to Fort saves completely!

I am not sure how to answer that. Lives in Freedom City? Wants to be a Superhero? How else does one start off? We have a ton of undead PCs and I am not sure they have any better connection. 

I am totally open to ideas on that front, but I'm not convinced its necessary to be honest. Bar the cape, its a fairly straightfoward "Got powers, go hero" story, and thats not any more or less than most PCs. 

Edited by Supercape

It was a fair question, although I had no answer, and I will mull it over - however, I have slowly come to the conclusion that bonds and ties and even backstory are best refined during actual play, hence I have started become more "bare bones" about these things initially. Its not that they are not important, but I have come to prefer them to be more fluid initially, at least until I get a handle on how the PC plays "In practice". 

YMMV of course!

Fluff

Not knowing or caring about how you died seems very strange, but I suppose it speaks to the character's priorities!

The 'daughter of death' description is very mythical and pretty rad, but it'll be worth considering what force of death acted as Death here, as there's no singular canonical 'Death' entity in the setting that I know of. Not something that has to be on the sheet, obviously, but standard character advice.

I'm a bit curious about the "Super-Alive" line as-written - how does being super-alive render her attractive? Does super-healing heal unattractiveness? Are less-attractive people just less alive? Very confused.

Crunch

Skills:

It may be worth noting the Attractive-modified skills in the Skills line, both for your/GM use in threads and for tracking skill caps, since Attractive's bonuses count against skill caps. I don't believe Attractive is violating caps here, but it's awfully close and that's going to be worth keeping in mind for future edits.

Powers:

The base form's Enhanced Attributes power pays for 4 points/16 ranks of skills, and spends 13 of them.

What does "Variable Descriptor [Bone]" entail?

Telekinesis (or, rather, Move Object) is 2pp/rank; two +1 extras and a -1 flaw is 3pp/rank * 8 ranks = 24pp, and two feats is 26pp, not 32, unless I've missed an extra somewhere.

Fluff:

By design, the "Death" abstract entity is very vague. I think it much better to keep it so, to avoid stepping on toes. Its not going to actually feature anywhere, no running into Father etc. 

Attractive is complex, as what is attractive to one is not attractive to another. However, the qualities of being vibrant, healthy, and energetic, alongside unblemished and unmarred by pathology are fairly universal. Or, if you wish, Nightlife by default looks very bad, and this form counters that appearance.

Base forms skill bonuses are that way by design (And will flesh out with PL heists in the future)

V/D "Bone" means essentially slashing, bludgeoning, piercing. All have the bone descriptor of course!

YOu are right about the bone telekenisis, PP score corrected. 

Fair enough on the fluff; the phrasing on the description is odd, but if you're tying the Attractive in her 'glow' and not the items more at the tail end of the sentence, then that's fine.

If the Variable Descriptor is the traditional "slashing/bludgeoning/piercing", please use that instead.