Archangel--Karma--PL 10 Hero

Player’s Name: Karma

archangelvs5.png

(Not a very good portrait, but I like having one)

Character’s Name: Archangel

Alternate Identity: None

PL: 10 (153pp)

Unspent PP: 3

Height: Varies

Weight: Varies

Hair: Varies

Eyes: Varies

Description: Archangel is a literal angel (/good spirit/demigod/whatever you want to call them). The physical form he/she took upon coming to earth reflects the idea people would have of such a being, and so Archangel appears as a winged human. The exact form Archangel takes may change over time.

History: I don’t remember exactly where I came from. That was part of the agreement of my coming. I can’t tell anyone here about what is beyond here, and to facilitate that I don’t even remember it.

I’m not here to take sides, or point out one person’s or one religion’s ideas as right or wrongâ€â€I’m here to help those in need, whoever they may be.

I think that says more about where I come from than any memories would anyway, don’t you think?

In my true form, I don’t really have a form. I’m a spirit. Here, I have a true, physical form (if it’s slightly more… mutable than normal physical bodies). I can die here, although I know I’ll go back to where and how I was before if that happens. I can feel pain here, but I can also do good things and help people… I’m not planning to leave here until this body does die.

I think I may have been given some information about this world, or maybe this isn’t the first time I’ve undertaken this mission. Parts of the human world seem familiar to me, although there are definitely parts I’m still learning about.

The place I arrived is called “Freedom City.†This area is full of people who are beyond the normal ideas of humanâ€â€or who aren’t human at all. Many of them use their special powers for good, and I’m willing to fight alongside them. Others… well, there wouldn’t be any fighting without them, now would there?

I haven’t been here long, but I think both my holy sword and my healing hands will see great use here. And I’m ready for it.

Archangel’s powers reflect his/her angelic form. Archangel can heal others, or use objects one might expect to see in a depiction of an angel (such as a sword, bow, armor, or trumpet) against villains. These items aren’t actually devices but a part of Archangel’s form.

Complications: Honor (Archangel will never use lethal force against conscious beings if it is at all possible to avoid it; this makes intelligent constructs and undead a serious problem)

Tradeoffs: +3 Melee damage/-3 Melee attack

Stats: 36pp

Str: 16 (+3)

Dex: 16 (+3)

Con: 16 (+3)

Int: 16 (+3)

Wis: 16 (+3)

Cha: 16 (+3)

Combat: 28pp

Attack: +7

Grapple: +13

Defense: +7 (20, 14 flat-footed)

Knockback: -5

Initiative: +3

Saves: 18pp

Toughness: +10 (+3 Con, +7 Protection)

Fortitude: +5 (+3 Con, +2)

Reflex: +9 (+3 Dex, +6)

Will: +13 (+3 Wis, +10)

Skills: 52r = 13pp

Concentration 4 (+7)

Diplomacy 12 (+15)

Intimidate 12 (+15)

Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 15 (+18)

Notice 4 (+7)

Sense Motive 5 (+8)

Feats: 9pp

Attack Focus (Ranged), Attack Specialization (Blast), Dodge Focus 2, Fascinate (Intimidate), Inspire 3, Power Attack

Powers: 49pp

• [*:3d253sn7]Blast 10 (Holy Arrows; Power Feats: Alternate Power 3) [23]
    • [*:3d253sn7]AP: Strike 10 (Holy Weapons; Extra: Penetrating 5; Power Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2, Mighty, Split Attack, Variable Descriptor (Bludgeoning, Slashing, or Piercing))
      [*:3d253sn7]Healing 10
      [*:3d253sn7]Emotion Control 10 (Extra: Area (General,Burst), Selective Attack; Flaws: Range 2 (Touch))

[*:3d253sn7]Comprehend 2 (Speak any language and understand all) [4]

[*:3d253sn7]Flight 3 [6]

[*:3d253sn7]Immunity 7 (Aging, disease, poison, starvation and thirst, need for sleep, and suffocation) [7]

[*:3d253sn7]Morph 1 (Any angelic) [2]

[*:3d253sn7]Protection 7 [7]

Drawbacks: -3pp

Moderate Vulnerability to Evil, such as demonic, diabolical, or Hellish powers.

[b]DC Block:

ATTACKS:                     SAVE DC:             DAMAGE TYPE:[/b]

Blast +10                    DC 25 Toughness      Piercing, Holy

Strike +7                    DC 28 Toughness      P/S/B, Holy

Emotion Control              DC 20 Will           Various

Costs: Abilities (36) + Combat (28) + Saves (18) + Skills (13) + Feats (9) + Powers (49) - Drawbacks (3) = Total Cost 150 pp

Looks good ( ;) ) for the most part, but there are a few tiny things, both in stats and background.

The universe/dimension of Freedom City has a barrier of sorts around it (part of something called The Pact) that prevents any non-native-to-Earth supernatural being from forcibly entering. They can only enter when called. Hades had to trick a mortal sorcerer into summoning him for his invasion; the vodoun loa (Voodoo gods) like Siren and Baron Samedi are here because their hosts invited them into their bodies. As such, Archangel cannot simply have been sent here, s/he would have to have been invited/invoked/summoned. Of course, the invitation/invocation/summons may not have ended up being exactly what the mortal had intended or asked for, but, well, that's the nature of such things. ;)

You don't need to alter her background now, it can stand as is, but at some point there should be something done to reveal the 'mortal' side of how she got here. Or, you can go ahead and alter it now. And, of course, she's free to believe that she was sent without any 'mortal' intervention; that could also be part of her memory wipe/alteration.

As for stats, the only real "issue" I see is the Morph. S/He can have a much higher rank in the power. But with it being in the "Angelic Attacks" array, s/he cannot use any of the attack powers (Blast, Emotion Control, or Strike) or Healing while Morphed, which could definitely present some problems.

Ah, one other thing: the Comprehend. Is it for Languages? If so, at 1 rank, she can either understand all spoken languages simultaneously, or speak any language, one at a time. Which is it? And if it's not for Languages, what is it for?

The universe/dimension of Freedom City has a barrier of sorts around it (part of something called The Pact) that prevents any non-native-to-Earth supernatural being from forcibly entering.

Is it? Well, she's a benevolent protector, so she wouldn't have to trick anybody. She could have been sent in response to an entreaty for aid. Archangel knew that people could use help, so it makes sense if that knowledge came from an invitation.

I'll have to think about whether Archangel knows about the summons, and, if so, if she knows who the summoner was.

As for stats, the only real "issue" I see is the Morph. S/He can have a much higher rank in the power. But with it being in the "Angelic Attacks" array, s/he cannot use any of the attack powers (Blast, Emotion Control, or Strike) or Healing while Morphed, which could definitely present some problems.

Ah, good point.

The one rank is fine, even in the array, because Archangel was never really going to use it for a disguise--she'd simply be a young woman with long blonde hair and golden wings today, and an older man with graying dark hair and white wings when you saw him next week.

I just thought it was a bit much for a Feature, and Morph seemed best.

Ah, one other thing: the Comprehend. Is it for Languages? If so, at 1 rank, she can either understand all spoken languages simultaneously, or speak any language, one at a time. Which is it? And if it's not for Languages, what is it for?

Ah, I misread the book. It should be two ranks, and yes, it's language.

I've also made some adjustments to Archangel's Emotion Control. The Extras and Flaws should cancel out, so there's no change in cost. Archangel is always the object of any emotions (which I didn't think was enough for a limited flaw since it only applies to half of them anyway).

I decided a higher Will save is more likely to protect her from the attacks she'd face anyway, so I dropped the Impervious and bumped her saves with the remaining points.

archangelvs5.png

Description: Archangel is a literal angel (/good spirit/demigod/whatever you want to call them). The physical form he/she took upon coming to earth reflects the idea people would have of such a being, and so Archangel appears as a winged human. The exact form Archangel takes may change over time.

History: I don’t remember exactly where I came from. That was part of the agreement of my coming. I can’t tell anyone here about what is beyond here, and to facilitate that I don’t even remember it.

I’m not here to take sides, or point out one person’s or one religion’s ideas as right or wrongâ€â€I’m here to help those in need, whoever they may be.

I think that says more about where I come from than any memories would anyway, don’t you think?

In my true form, I don’t really have a form. I’m a spirit. Here, I have a true, physical form (if it’s slightly more… mutable than normal physical bodies). I can die here, although I know I’ll go back to where and how I was before if that happens. I can feel pain here, but I can also do good things and help people… I’m not planning to leave here until this body does die.

I think I may have been given some information about this world, or maybe this isn’t the first time I’ve undertaken this mission. Parts of the human world seem familiar to me, although there are definitely parts I’m still learning about.

The place I arrived is called “Freedom City.†This area is full of people who are beyond the normal ideas of humanâ€â€or who aren’t human at all. Many of them use their special powers for good, and I’m willing to fight alongside them. Others… well, there wouldn’t be any fighting without them, now would there?

I haven’t been here long, but I think both my holy sword and my healing hands will see great use here. And I’m ready for it.

Archangel’s powers reflect his/her angelic form. Archangel can heal others, or use objects one might expect to see in a depiction of an angel (such as a sword, bow, armor, or trumpet) against villains. These items aren’t actually devices but a part of Archangel’s form.

Complications: Honor (Archangel will never use lethal force against conscious beings if it is at all possible to avoid it; this makes intelligent constructs and undead a serious problem)

Concentration 4 (+7)

Diplomacy 12 (+15)

Intimidate 12 (+15)

Notice 4 (+7)

Sense Motive 5 (+8)

Attack Focus (Ranged), Attack Specialization (Blast), Dodge Focus 2, Fascinate (Intimidate), Inspire 3, Power Attack

• [*:2l5yesxc]Blast 10 (Holy Arrows; Power Feats: Alternate Power 3) [23]
    • [*:2l5yesxc]AP: Strike 10 (Holy Weapons; Extra: Penetrating 6; Power Feats: Affects Insubstantial, Mighty, Split Attack, Variable Descriptor (Bludgeoning, Slashing, or Piercing))
      [*:2l5yesxc]Healing 10
      [*:2l5yesxc]Emotion Control 10 (Extra: Area (General,Burst, Attached), Selective Attack; Flaws: Range 2 (Touch))

[*:2l5yesxc]Comprehend 2 (Speak any language and understand all) [4]

[*:2l5yesxc]Flight 3 [6]

[*:2l5yesxc]Immunity 7 (Aging, disease, poison, starvation and thirst, need for sleep, and suffocation) [7]

[*:2l5yesxc]Morph 1 (Any angelic) [2]

[*:2l5yesxc]Protection 7 [7]

[b]DC Block:

Costs: Abilities (36) + Combat (28) + Saves (18) + Skills (13) + Feats (9) + Powers (49) - Drawbacks (3) = Total Cost 150 pp

The Pact is detailed in Book of Magic. I highly recommend it for any player of a mystical or supernatural type character. :)

Two things I see wonky with the powers:

Comprehend 2 (Speak and understand all languages) [4]

Close, but not quite.

Comprehend 1, you can either speak any language, one at a time, or understand all languages simultaneously.

Comprehend 2, you can effectively speak all languages simultaneously; anyone who hears you speak hears you in their native tongue.

Comprehend 3, you can both understand and be understood in all languages.

Emotion Control 10 (Extra: Area (General, Perception (Hearing), Attached), Selective Attack; Flaws: Range 2 (Touch))

This doesn't work -- you can't have both Perception and Touch, because both are functions of the Power's Range.

And what does the "Attached" mean?

If the effect you're looking for is some sort of "Holy Word of Power"-type thing, I would suggest something like

Emotion Control 10 (Extras: 100-ft. Cone Area, Penetrating; Flaws: Range 2/Touch).

The Reflex save an Area attack normally gets (M&M, pg.159) can represent a last-second covering of the ears, rather than truly dodging or leaping away. Penetrating is so it can get past Impervious Will saves/Mind Shields.

You could of course change the Area's shape, or swap Penetrating for Selective Attack.

Comprehend 1, you can either speak any language, one at a time, or understand all languages simultaneously.

That's what I was looking for, both of those 1 rank functions, for a total of 2. I rephrased it to be clearer.

This doesn't work -- you can't have both Perception and Touch, because both are functions of the Power's Range.

And what does the "Attached" mean?

I was looking at the Perception area from UP, but it should probably just be a burst. Changed.

The attached is just a specification from UP for area powers with a longer duration, whether the effect remains attached to the original targets or is stationary, releasing targets that leave and affecting new ones that enter.

Attached: An attached Area effect remains with the targets it initially affects for as long as the effect lasts, even if those targets leave the initial area. Others who enter the area after the initial effect are not affected by it, only the initial targets.

That doesn't seem like it'd fit with a Touch-Range Area effect Lasting power, which is already effectively "Attached" to the character.

And Chumpsteady, while we appreciate your enthusiasm, it's easier if we keep the posts in the character threads limited to the character's creator and the Referees. If you see something incorrect on a sheet, you can PM the player or Ref directly to help out.

That doesn't seem like it'd fit with a Touch-Range Area effect Lasting power, which is already effectively "Attached" to the character.

It's not an extra or anything. UP says to specify either attached or stationary for an area effect with a duration longer than instant, like it says to choose whether an area effect is general or targeted.

It's not an extra or anything. UP says to specify either attached or stationary for an area effect with a duration longer than instant, like it says to choose whether an area effect is general or targeted.

I'm not saying it's an Extra, I'm just saying it doesn't need to be said, since everything else in the power already effectively says "Attached".

Ok then, removed.

archangelvs5.png

Concentration 4 (+7)

Diplomacy 12 (+15)

Intimidate 12 (+15)

Notice 4 (+7)

Sense Motive 5 (+8)

• [*:3l76rk80]Blast 10 (Holy Arrows; Power Feats: Alternate Power 3) [23]
    • [*:3l76rk80]AP: Strike 10 (Holy Weapons; Extra: Penetrating 6; Power Feats: Affects Insubstantial, Mighty, Split Attack, Variable Descriptor (Bludgeoning, Slashing, or Piercing))
      [*:3l76rk80]Healing 10
      [*:3l76rk80]Emotion Control 10 (Extra: Area (General,Burst), Selective Attack; Flaws: Range 2 (Touch))

[*:3l76rk80]Comprehend 2 (Speak any language and understand all) [4]

[*:3l76rk80]Flight 3 [6]

[*:3l76rk80]Immunity 7 (Aging, disease, poison, starvation and thirst, need for sleep, and suffocation) [7]

[*:3l76rk80]Morph 1 (Any angelic) [2]

[*:3l76rk80]Protection 7 [7]

[b]DC Block:

Ah, sorry. Guess I forgot to bookmark this thread.

No particularly special effect, just sacrificing power for striking multiple opponents at close range--swinging a weapon forward, and then cutting back instead of following through properly, for example.

• 1 month later...