Belly of the Beast

GM

May 8th, 2019

7:15 PM

The Doyle Theater

The Doyle Theater wasn't exactly a big place, but it was nice and had a certain charm. The place had just two screens, and they were rarely full, even on the best of days, but still, the place made enough money to keep running. The building had once been an actual theater, but about ten years ago it had been converted into its current form. Much of the decor still showed its past, and it was honestly part of its charm.

And on this particular evening, Gauss and Forever Boy of Claremont Academy had decided to pay the theater a visit. There was one movie in particular that Gauss been talking about...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selena walked along the sidewalk with her friend and schoolmate Pan, "I still can't believe you hadn't seen Star Wars before last weekend.  Especially with as many nerds are in our school.  Anyway, I heard about the Doyle playing this movie when I came out for Alien Day two Fridays ago.  After your reaction to Star Wars, I feel showing you the other great science-fiction franchise is a must.  And The Wrath of Khan is frankly the best movie of the bunch."

As they strode down the sidewalk, Selena reached into her pocket to pull out a few bills to pay for the tickets and snacks.  She felt something of an obligation to cover the costs since pitched the idea for this particular outing.

Forever Boy

Walking. Always walking. Even if Pan did not see the need for secrecy of identities, he would at least respect his friends' needs, and so, he was walking, rather than flying. It took longer, and it was not quite as fun as flying, but that was how it was. "I imagine there are a great many movies I have yet to see, nerds or not." He leaned in a bit closer, flashing a grin. "After all, we did not have movie theaters back on Neverworld. Many other wonders, sure, but no moving images on giant screens." He decided to leave out the part about only having been on the Earth for less than a year so far. He had not exactly been shy about being from somewhere else, after all.

And of course he had loved Star Wars, so this, Star Trek? Now that should be fun to see. Honestly, both being Star somethings made it a bit confusing, but he was willing to brave the confusion! And while Selena might be paying the tickets, he insisted on the snacks. Including lots and lots of popcorns. Ever since his first visit to a movie theater a short while back where Danica had introduced him to the wonders of popcorn with butter, he had been hooked.

Selena picked up box of Raisinettes and a medium soda for herself as Pan ordered the biggest bucket of popcorn the theater sold.  As the duo made their way to a pair of seats in the sparsely populated theater she quietly commented, "Speaking of which, you've seen the Disney movie loosely based on you and Neverworld by now right?  Because if you haven't, we're adding it to the list just so you can pick apart what they watered down for kids."

Taking a sip of her soda, the young magnetokinetic relaxed into her seat while the pre-movie slideshow of ads, mostly for local businesses, ran on the screen.  As the advertisement urging people to pre-purchase their season passes to Ocean Heights came on she leaned over and whispered, "That reminds me, after this, want to fly over and check out the park while they're setting up for the summer?"

Forever Boy

"Yes, a few insisted I watch. It was... strange. Like a funhouse mirror, I suppose." A pause to chew some popcorn, while he leaned back in his seat. "At least Captain Hook was more entertaining than the Hooked Man. I find it stranger still how much the book and movie has right, than how much is twisted." It was a bit difficult to explain, really. The girl and the family having the right names was so strange in the first place.

He had to admit, he did enjoy these ads more than the rest of the theater seemed. Maybe it was just the fact that they did not have anything like it at all on Neverworld, or maybe it was nice to relax with what was normal in this world, just for a short while? He honestly wasn't sure, but these commercials did show him a different side of this world.

Pan was brought out of it by Selena's question. "Ocean Heights? That is the amusement park, yes?" His smile twisted a bit, growing wider. Maybe just a tiny bit wider than that of a normal human. "Time for some mischief and unsupervised fun? I am, of course, in." An amusement park! And after hours! Oh, he could not resist that!

Setting her chocolate covered goodies in the seat's cupholder she stole a couple pieces of Pan's popcorn and leaned back into her chair, "Now, imagine if you were able to pick up royalty checks from that...  Weirdness factor aside, you'd have a steady source of income after graduation."

"Honestly, I just like sitting on top of the Ferris wheel or one of the other tall rides and looking out at the city.  It's incredibly relaxing," Selena commented.  Taking a sip of her soda she added, "It's a nice little break from the, if I'm being honest, insanity that is our school.  I wouldn't trade it for the world, otherwise I'd have abandoned ship my first winter up here but sometimes you just need a quiet place away from it all.  Well, as much as you can without leaving the city."

Forever Boy

Pan frowned at Selena's comment. Get away from the insanity that was their school? But why? Even with everything that had happened, he had to admit one thing: He had rarely been bored. Except for during classes, of course. Now those could be boring, dragging on endlessly at times. "Honestly, I quite like it at the school, insanity and all. If anything, it is a grand adventure. There are few things worse in the world than being bored, and aside from the classes and homework. Besides, I have done many things, but I do not believe that I have ever attended a school before." He honestly couldn't remember. Maybe he had spent some time in a school at some point back on Neverworld, maybe he had not, but nothing like Claremont, at least. He did like being up high, at least. 

He slowly chewed some popcorn, savoring the flavor, while he looked up at the screen. Now that Selena mentioned it, there was actually something he remembered that he wanted to ask her. "Why did you decide to come to Claremont? Everyone seems to have their own answer to that."

"Not saying I want to leave, I love the place and I've made some good friends there," she said patting Pan on the shoulder.  "And it certainly beats the schools back home.  But I never asked for my life to end up like this, never for a moment imagined I'd be one of the Capes.  That said, when you can do the things that we can, but you don't, and then bad things happen, they happen because of you.  So, I guess to answer both of your questions I'm saying, 'because I have the ability to make the world a better place, I have the responsibility to try'."

"I know you're a couple years out from graduation but have you given any thought towards life after Claremont?" she asked reaching to steal a couple more bits of popcorn.

Forever Boy

It made sense, one could suppose. To be able to do the things that they could do, and yet do nothing? That would be an awful waste. And Pan had seen the difference that the Capes could do, on more than one world. Still, what he wanted to do once he finished his time at Claremont? It was a bit of a tricky question, was it not? He did not have the same ties here as many of his classmates, and his stay was only supposed to be temporary in the first place, a way to keep him under watch, while he was in this world. 

Pan was uncharacteristically silent as he chewed his popcorn, before finally replying. "Why, I suppose I will go on another adventure then, unless I manage to find my way home, somehow." His previously somber expression split into his usual grin again. "There is a whole wide world here to explore! So many things to see and do! How could I ever refuse such a call to adventure?" A slight pause. Pan was nothing if not dramatic, after all. "Besides, Freedom City cannot be the only place in this world in need for heroes."

Edited by RocketLord

GM

Almost as if on cue, the noise of something being thrown around started to sound from outside the theater. Raised voices, heavy objects, people falling. Someone was shouting, quite loudly at that. One of the voices seemed to almost echo, like multiple voices spoke the same words at once, with only a slight delay. It was difficult to make out the words, but they sounded quite upset, shouting about a beast to be slain and strange surroundings.

There was a brief pause, then another yell, then a loud crash as the popcorn machine came flying in through the doors to the theater.

Acting on pure instinct, Selena reached out with her powers and caught the popcorn machine before it could strike anyone in the audience.  Standing slowly she turned towards the now broken doorway the oversized concession appliance had erupted through. “Oh boy did you pick the wrong showing to screw with,” she called out.  Over her shoulder at her fellow movie goers she continued loudly, "Anyone without superpowers or a hell of a lot of training would be well advised to make their way to the emergency exits.  NOW!"

Looking over at her friend and schoolmate, left eye alight with purple energy, she sighed, "See what I mean?  Sometimes, you need to get away for a bit.  And then sometimes, trouble finds you."

Forever Boy

A crash and a bang and action. Pan liked movies, of course. It was so different from anything back home, and yet, it was nothing like the thrill of actual adventure and the call to action. Glowing golden dust was already falling around his body as he stood and Selena caught the popcorn machine, replacing his clothing with his red and green uniform, mask and all. He could hear corn popping in it still, even as it tumbled through the air, held aloft by Selena. He quickly lifted above, the golden glow around his body making him visible even in the slightly darkened room.

"Hurry now, the super heroes are here to handle various flying machines. One at a time, do not step on each other!" He wasn't really sure if he would have thought of getting everyone out of the way if not for Selena starting it, but it was probably the best thing to do. With everyone seeming to move in the right direction, he flew down past Selena. "Would you honestly have it any other way?" He was all smiles as he zoomed straight towards the lobby.

GM

What met them were a sight, to be sure. A man, or at least part of him were a man, stood in the middle of the room, ranting and raving at everything and everyone. People had either fled or were covering, as he held a couch high above his head with just his right hand. In his left, he held a harpoon with jagged edges at the point. He was wearing a dark coat and layered dark cloak that covered most of his body, with only his hands in gloves and his feet in heavy boots being visible. He had a wild, scraggly beard that had once been completely black but now appeared to be greying. He was bald, with a large collection of scars crisscrossing his scalp. His left eye and ear appeared to have been replaced with crude cybernetic enhancements, copper in color. Their exposure to oxygen were slowly turning them light green. 

"WHERE IS IT? I had it right there, in my sights! And then it was gone! Where is the blasted whale!?" He almost didn't see the people around him, too preoccupied with his rants.

"No, probably not," she admitted, pulling a domino mask from her pocket.  It wasn't much for concealing her identity but it was better than nothing.

Selena floated out behind Pan, calling over his shoulder, "Yo, Captain Ahab, I'm going to need you to calm down and start from the beginning.  Otherwise, this popcorn machine is going to join the rest of the metal crap sticking out of your face."  She raised and lowered her hand, as if tossing and catching an invisible baseball while the popper bobbed in the air behind her to punctuate her threat.

GM

The man paused, the couch still held high above his head. He turned to Gauss, watching the machine bobbing up and down behind her, before snarling out a response. Whatever else she had hoped for, he did not seem scared in the least. If anything, he seemed even more pissed off. "How do you know my name!? Are you in league with the cursed whale!?" 

The optic of his robotic eye seemed to adjust, as if trying to take in the full view of the strange woman before him... and then he noticed her companion. "FOREVER BOY!" With little effort, he threw the couch towards the heroes, making his distaste of Gauss' companion obvious.

Forever Boy

At first, Pan wasn't quite sure. He recognized that man, didn't he? He was quite distinctive, after all, with the coat and the face and the harpoon. Where had he seen him before? Then Selena spoke up, and the good captain screamed and threw the couch at them, and well, that was good enough to make him remember.

"Ahab! How are you even here!?" Despite Ahab's obviously murderous intent. "Hold that thought!" He raised his hand towards their foe, Pixie Dust swirling around it before exploding outward in a brilliant, and quite loud, sparkling explosion of firework. Had he been quicker, Ahab might have avoided, but not so. Quickly, Pan leaned in near Selena, raising a hand up to cover his mouth towards Ahab, while he whispered: "He is from my world! A bit of a nasty type, but his heart is in the right place, somewhere deep deep deep down. Still, be my guest with the heavy machinery and all that!"

"Okay, that answers that...," she muttered, hurling the popcorn machine at the world's most famous literary embodiment of single-mindedness.  With a heavy clang, the machine popped him right in the face, seeming to do more damage to the popper than the captain.

Turning to look at Forever Boy she yelled, in only half-feigned annoyance, "When we finish here, you, me and the classics section are going to have a loooong chat.  I want a full and complete list of all the possible uninvited guests from 1800s novels that might show up holding a grudge against you."

GM

First, he was blinded and deafened, as the Forever Boy's fireworks exploded in his face. Next, Ahab was hit straight in the face with the heavy popcorn machine that Gauss threw, drawing another yell of frustration and pain from the man. "Curse you all!" he bellowed, with a mighty shout, as he started to violently thrash around the area. Unable to see or even hear, he started kicking or punching anything he could find in reach, doing everything he could to try and keep the attackers away. "Stay away! None of you shall stop me from finding the cursed whale! It must be stopped, before it destroys us all!" He sounded utterly sincere, and there was even a hint of fear to his voice.

Forever Boy

"Wait, you know of Ahab?" He stared incredulously at Selena. He knew of the Peter Pan stories on this world, of course. He had humored children with stories of their favorite Disney characters existing on his world. Some it true, to some extent, some of it not, but this was the first he had heard of others he knew actually having books dedicated to them. Maybe he was not as unique as he thought? "Just how much has Neverworld been plagiarized for stories for this world? Because, honestly, if we have to go through everyone on Neverworld with a grudge, it might take a while." A question for another time, perhaps. For now he should focus on getting through this fight.

He moved his hands, Pixie Dust glittering around them. No point in telling the good Ahab anything, not like he could hear them anyway. Bands of Pixie Dust began to appear around their foe, before quickly closing in and holding him in place. A perfect target. "All yours, Gauss!" 

Almost as soon as the Pixie Dust finished leaving Forever Boy's hands, the popcorn machine, since it was already deeply dented and likely beyond saving at this point anyway, came back around to strike Ahab once more.  The heavy THUD of the popper smacking into the cyborg whaler only caused the man's struggling to cease for a moment.

"Oh for crying out loud.  Normally people lose consciousness when they're hit in the head like that," Gauss muttered, "Any harder and I'm worried he might wake up seeing literally everyone as the stupid white whale."

• 3 weeks later...

GM

Ahab blinked, as if trying to clear his vision after the heavy hit from Gauss, and yet... with a mighty roar, he tore through the glowing bands of Pixie Dust that kept him snared, before climbing to his feet, standing tall. Even with both Gauss and Forever Boy keeping their distance, the man towered above them. He raised one gnarled hand, bits and pieces of metal visible through his glove. "You will not stop me from finding the Whale! I will save us all, even if you do not want to be saved!" He moved a hand to his back, pulling it forward to reveal a shining, silver harpoon, which seemed to have appeared out of thin air. "You tricked me once, Forever Boy! Never again!"

Forever Boy

Pan's expression was rather deadpan in response to Gauss' short rant, while Ahab was standing up, looking more than ready to fight them still. "He is used to fight the Whale. Of course he is going to be tough. I am not sure how the Ahab of this world's books does it, but this Ahab has survived melee with a creature that can destroy entire cities on its own." Now, he was not lecturing, but to him, this was just common knowledge. Then again, just look at him and his book in this world, and all the differences and changes. Of course the Ahab that Gauss knew about were bound to be different.

The short moment of being dour passed. Fine, one way or another, he would be taking the good captain's sight! "Want to make a bet on whether I can trick him again?" he quickly asked Selena, before flying over, away from her and across the room. At the same time, mist began to appear from the middle of the room, right under Ahab, filling it within moments, and yet, Selena and any stragglers that had yet to leave the room could see right through it. "Over here, Ahab! Find me if you can!"

With Forever Boy's bindings and blinding having been shaken off and Ahab now brandishing a harpoon, Gauss dropped her hold on the popcorn machine and instead focused on her opponent's weapon.  "Listen, Ahab, you might be in charge on the Pequod but this not your ship and you're a long way from Nantucket," she stated, again trying to reach his senses.

With a flare of her power, his harpoon slipped free of his grasp and sailed directly into her own outstretched hand.  Pointing the weapon back at the mad captain she said, "Last chance, stand down."

GM

"That is mine!Ahab did not sound deterred at all, despite having his weapon taken away. In fact, he reached behind his back, and pulled another harpoon out of thin air. "I do not know how you know of the Pequod, girl, but I know of no Nantucket! All I care for is the Whale! And if you stand by the Forever Boy, then you stand in my way!" 

With another mighty roar, Ahab threw the newly produced harpoon towards Gauss, or at least in the direction of her voice. The weapon flew fast, but went wide, finding itself stuck in the wall some seven feet to the right of Gauss. Then, he started moving, running towards her. He seemed to really want to get his harpoon back.

Forever Boy

While Pan admired what Selena was trying to do, he was not entirely convinced that it was actually going to work. Ahab was a stubborn one, after all. Well, that was probably underselling it. At any rate, it did not seem to work, and Ahab came running for her instead. Pan could not let him get in too close with his friend. He had seen what those mechanical hands of Ahab could do to softer things.

As Pixie Dust gathered in his hand, flaring to life in the form glowing, golden sword, Pan dove into the mists, flying straight at Ahab and swinging the blade. Even as the blade passed Ahab without connecting, he must at least have felt the presence, while Pan continued on, flying around the room to get speed for another dive.