On the Subject of NPCs.

Warr

I already know that the current theory/situation on 'canon NPCs' and NPCs which would change a PCs character's story by being around/interacting is pretty much 'you can't touch them as it's taboo', you have to PM a Referee, but I've already gotten confirmation that we can ref our own threads with referee supervision, so I don't see why we shouldn't be able to control canon NPCs.

Let us do something like a 'check out' of them, or just post an account of every time we're using them, and then it lightens a bit of the load on Refs, as they only have to read and step in if it's outrageous character abuse or it's something that's more statistic or there's a possible battle. Checking them out will let them keep track of the NPCs that're from the Freedom Book, or created customly and posted here, that are 'checked out'.

It'll keep track of them, and it'll let situations like the current one (Me and my little Claremont group that's at the airport all sitting there for a GM to show up so I can get to Claremont, they can tag along, and then try to get into the school), dealt with. As it stands my thread's sat there for at least 2-3 days waiting for a GM, if not more.

(Me and my little Claremont group that's at the airport all sitting there for a GM to show up so I can get to Claremont, they can tag along, and then try to get into the school), dealt with. As it stands my thread's sat there for at least 2-3 days waiting for a GM, if not more.

Hmmm, did you send a PM to a GM about the need for help, or post in the GM request thread? I haven't seen a post in the request thread. If you don't contact a Ref that you need or want some help, most likely it won't come. As for getting to the school, how difficult is it to simply say that a bus comes and picks you up?

An as to the broader question -- why we don't let players have free reign with the Canon NPCS -- the answer is fairly simple: the Refs have plans. ;)

And to be a bit more specific: while we do encourage player initiative in things here, the overall mood/theme/tone/direction is still kept largely in the hands of the Staff Members, Global Mods, and Admins. Keeping the Canon NPCs in our hands allows us to maintain a modicum of cohesiveness and continuity across the board.

Another, partially related question. I'm thinking of making a 'Centurion Knock off' NPC, who'll be school aged/the Centurion equivilent of 'Super boy' and may or may not have any relation to the 'Centurion' lore in the books, would he be treated by GMs as 'canon' in regards to 'don't control let a GM control'?