I just built an Idea Machine.

Warr

So, while I'm not sure if it'll be appreciated, or even liked, but I've decided that I'll ply my trade (If you even want to call it that) in helping people design characters, here.

I'm good at taking a basic idea and refining it to give it a more viable history, fitting place into continuum (and thereby likely people to play with or against), and help make sense of what sort of powers a certain type of person would have.

If you'd like for me to help you, just post in here saying so and tell me the basic idea you have, including any specifics you'd like to apply to the situation.

Hey Warr,

I've been MIA on the boards here for several months, but my RL situation is adjusting and I thought I might come back and actually try playing a few characters. I have 2 ideas in mind, one PL6 and one PL10, and if your offer is still open, I'd like to get your help to make them FC-worthy.

The basics on each one:

PL6 - Clarence Hightower - no alias yet - Hightower is a scrawny 15 year old boy who one summer day in the pool ends up turning into a two-ton, 17-foot gangly version of himself. Presumably he's inherited something from his mother Linda, the retired hero Amazon (not the one currently in the archives, but maybe they could meet up sometime :) ), and obviously not his father Arthur, the accountant. He is of course real powerhouse material, but I wanted to make his Growth permanent or at least heavily involuntary and hard to get rid of, to play with the growth-spurting teen idea. Would someone that difficult to hide be able to train at Claremont?

PL10 - Samuel James "Jack" Walker - no alias yet - Jack is another (sort-of) obscure legacy character. Here's the quote taken directly from the Freedom City book, p25:

THE PHANTOM CAB

One unusual “taxi service†also shows up in Freedom City. Since colonial

times, Freedonians in trouble and in desperate need of transport have

found themselves confronted by a mysterious cabâ€â€be it a horse and

buggy or the most modern of automobilesâ€â€which gets them quickly and

safely out of harm’s way. While in the driver’s presence, folks never feel

any unease, and in fact are calmed by his quiet confidence. Only afterwards

do they think of him and his cab as a strange visitation. Locals

refer to it as “the Phantom Cab†and to its driver as “Max.†No one knows

where the Phantom Cab comes from, or where it goes. It seems to appear

when and where it’s needed for reasons beyond mortal comprehension.

Jack is on the classic father quest. His mother, Sara Walker, has finally told him who his real father is after discovering his abilities, and he's come to FC to find him. And what are his powers? Basically, if Jack gets in the driver's seat of any vehicle, it acts like a battlesuit with all the vehicle's abilities. To be clear, though, it doesn't become literally part of him (like Nanowire) or transform into a giant robot, it's still a car or van or motorcycle or whatever, with the same speed, toughness, carrying capacity, etc, but with the manoueverablity of a human being. He's just a preternaturally skilled driver. (With a few thematically over the top powers. :D )

I've gone out and bought the Hero Lab MnM edition and have been trying it out, even making a rough draft of Clarence. Let me know if these interest you and I can post or send you what I have so far.

Idea machine is still functioning.

Give me a bit to muse over these things, and I'll edit it into my post right here, the exact things. Hightower seems like he'd be an amusing character to be sure, as does Jack. Give me a bit, and I'll post suggestions.

PL10 - Samuel James "Jack" Walker - no alias yet - Jack is another (sort-of) obscure legacy character. Here's the quote taken directly from the Freedom City book, p25:

THE PHANTOM CAB

One unusual “taxi service” also shows up in Freedom City. Since colonial

times, Freedonians in trouble and in desperate need of transport have

found themselves confronted by a mysterious cab—be it a horse and

buggy or the most modern of automobiles—which gets them quickly and

safely out of harm’s way. While in the driver’s presence, folks never feel

any unease, and in fact are calmed by his quiet confidence. Only afterwards

do they think of him and his cab as a strange visitation. Locals

refer to it as “the Phantom Cab” and to its driver as “Max.” No one knows

where the Phantom Cab comes from, or where it goes. It seems to appear

when and where it’s needed for reasons beyond mortal comprehension.

Jack is on the classic father quest. His mother, Sara Walker, has finally told him who his real father is after discovering his abilities, and he's come to FC to find him. And what are his powers? Basically, if Jack gets in the driver's seat of any vehicle, it acts like a battlesuit with all the vehicle's abilities. To be clear, though, it doesn't become literally part of him (like Nanowire) or transform into a giant robot, it's still a car or van or motorcycle or whatever, with the same speed, toughness, carrying capacity, etc, but with the manoueverablity of a human being. He's just a preternaturally skilled driver. (With a few thematically over the top powers. :D )

Funny thing is, I made a character with a similar thing. Racer who'd made a Fiendish pact to be the best there ever was. He had things like Enhanced Drive, Enhanced Dexterity (Flaw: Only while in a vehicle), Boost Speed (Flaw: Only for the vehicle he's operating), and several other things. (Also had some drawbacks, like not being able to be outside a vehicle for very long without getting weaker and eventually dying).

Oh, and welcome back to the site! :)

Here's the rough text output. I'm not sure how to post the character sheets here since it won't upload pdf.

Hightower

STR: +11 (24/32), DEX: +0 (10), CON: +9 (20/28), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +1 (12), CHA: -1 (8)

Tough: +9, Fort: +9, Ref: +4, Will: +5

Skills: Climb 4 (+7), Craft: Mechanical 4 (+4), Craft: Structural 4 (+4), Craft: Tailoring 4 (+4), Drive 4 (+4), Escape Artist 4 (+5), Intimidate 4 (+7), Notice 4 (+5), Stealth 4 (-4)

Feats: All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (Melee) 2, Distract (Intimidate), Equipment 2, Fearsome Presence 1, Improved Block 1, Improved Disarm 1, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Overrun, Improved Pin, Interpose, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown Attack 1

Powers:

Growth 8 (+16 STR, +8 CON, +2 size categories; Flaws: Permanent)

Body Slam ((Strength Bonus) Strike 8) (Power Feats: Progression, Decr. Area Extra 7 (-7 ranks), Extras: Area, Shapeable (40 cu. ft.), Flaws: Permanent, Notes: This is Clarence either slapping the ground with his huge hands, stomping with his equally huge feet, or coming down with knees and elbows on a large target area, hence the variable shapeable area.)

Disproportionate Limbs (Elongation 1) (Elongation: 5 ft., range incr 10 ft., +1 Escape & Grapple; Flaws: Permanent)

Enhanced Ability 8 (+8 CON; Ability: Constitution)

Enhanced Trait 15 (Feats: Distract (Intimidate), Fearsome Presence 1, Improved Block 1, Improved Disarm 1, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Interpose, Startle, Takedown Attack 1, Improved Overrun, All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Attack Focus (Melee) 2)

Super-Strength 4 (+20 STR carrying capacity; +4 STR to some checks; Alternate Powers: Enhanced Ability 8 [Alt], Power Feats: Groundstrike (Radius: 110 ft., DC 21))

Enhanced Ability 8 [Alt] (+8 STR; Ability: Strength)

Guardian (Force Field 9) (+9 Toughness; Power Feats: Selective, Drawbacks: Custom 3 (Reduce Area Effect Radius to Reach [15']), Extras: Area, Burst (45 ft. radius), Flaws: Feedback)

Equipment: Vehicle: Bus

Attack Bonus: +2 (Ranged: +2, Melee: +4, Grapple: +26)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +4 (DC 23)

Defense: +2 (Flat-footed: +1), Size: Huge, Knockback: -12

Initiative: +0

Drawbacks: Normal Identity - Common, Involuntary Transformation - Very Common - Major

Funny thing is, I made a character with a similar thing. Racer who'd made a Fiendish pact to be the best there ever was. He had things like Enhanced Drive, Enhanced Dexterity (Flaw: Only while in a vehicle), Boost Speed (Flaw: Only for the vehicle he's operating), and several other things. (Also had some drawbacks, like not being able to be outside a vehicle for very long without getting weaker and eventually dying).

Oh, and welcome back to the site! :)

Thanks, Dr. A. I'm trying to shy away from the actual drive skill, since I basically want to make it a host of conditional powers in a container, the condition being that he's in the driver's/pilot seat of a functioning vehicle. If need be, I might AP or stunt for Enhanced Drive.

I'd had the concept originally when I saw the Phantom Cab writeup, but it solidified a bit more for me after I a) saw the new Speed Racer movie and B) played the taxi level on Elite Beat Agents on my DS. Not an expected form of inspiration, but it does add to the feel of the character for me. I'd certainly like to get a few of the Speed Racer tricks worked into adventuring, and EBA had some speedster-style tricks (Wall Driving and Water Driving) that work well, as well as the idea of a character whose personality changes radically behind the wheel. I've also got some thoughts on a Tremorsense sensory suite that works through the vehicle.

I made some adjustments as per your suggestion, but I'm not sure how to apply the drawbacks you described to his powers, especially in a Container. I've laid out most of the numbers work. Once I fill out his background and complications I'll apply him officially.

Players Name: JDRook

Power Level: 6

Characters Name: Clarence Hightower

Alternate Identity: none yet

Height: 5' 7" up to 16' 8"

Weight: 145lbs up to 2 tons

Hair:

Eyes:

Description:

History:

Complications:

Stats: 8pp

Str: 8/32 (-1/+11)

Dex: 10 (+0)

Con: 12/28 (+1/+9)

Int: 14 (+2)

Wis: 14 (+2)

Cha: 10 (+0)

Combat: 4pp

Attack: +0 (includes -2 for size. Melee Spec feat compensates for size exactly, but range goes up to -2 at full growth)

Grapple: +0/+21

Defense: +0 (includes -2 for size. +0 flat-footed) -2 full size

Knockback: -0/-12

Initiative: +0

Saves: 7pp

Toughness: +1/+9

Fortitude: +1/+9

Reflex: +3 (+0 Dex, +3)

Will: +6 (+2 Wis, +4)

Skills: 44r = 11pp

Skills: Climb 2 (+13/+5), Computers 4 (+6), Craft: Electronic 4 (+6), Craft: Mechanical 4 (+6), Craft: Structural 2 (+4), Craft: Tailoring 2 (+4), Disable Device 4 (+6), Drive 4 (+4), Escape Artist 4 (+4), Intimidate 2 (+6), Knowledge: Technology 4 (+6), Notice 4 (+6), Stealth 4 (-4)

Feats: 9pp

Beginner's Luck, Equipment 4, Improvised Tools, Interpose, Inventor, Jack-Of-All-Trades

Powers: 53pp

Growth Container 10 - 50pp Drawbacks: Full Power, One-Way Transformation

Growth 8 (+16 STR, +8 CON, +2 size categories) 24pp

Disproportionate Limbs (Elongation 2) (Elongation: 10 ft., range incr 20 ft., +2 Escape & Grapple;) 2pp

Enhanced Ability 8 (+8 CON; Ability: Constitution) 8pp

Enhanced Trait 5 (Feats: Improved Block 1, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Improved Overrun) 5pp

Super-Strength 4 (+20 STR carrying capacity; +4 STR to some checks, Power Feats: Groundstrike (Radius: 110 ft., DC 21) 9pp

Alternate Powers: Enhanced Ability 8 [Alt] (+8 STR; Ability: Strength) +1pp

Guardian (Force Field 9) (+9 Toughness; Power Feats: Selective, Drawbacks: Reduce Area Effect Radius to Reach), Extras: Area, Burst (45 ft. radius), Flaws: Feedback) 7pp

Power X (name/descriptor; Extras: whatever; Flaws: whatever; PFs: whatever) [cost]

example: Blast 12 (fiery bolt; PFs: 1 Alternate Power) [25]

AP: Blast 8 (fireball; Extra: Explosion)

Drawbacks: 0pp

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

(Name of Attack) (Save DC/Type) (Type of Damage: Bruise/Injury, or other)

For example:

Blast 10 25/Toughness Bruise (Staged)

alternatively

Blast 10 --- 25/Toughness --- Bruise (Staged)

Costs: Abilities (8) + Combat (4) + Saves (7) + Skills (11) + Feats (9) + Powers (56) - Drawbacks (5) = Total Cost 90