Better Thinking in the Lost World

Supercape

Delta let the man rant, only once he was done did Delta raise his hand slowly, showing the scientist his cyber arm, with a thought it morphed from a fist into the barrel of a massive cannon, and from there into a bladed weapon and then back to a hand,"No...no, Lord Uplift, it is not vanity. My 'gifts' were forced upon me by someone not unlike you. Someone who thought he could improve upon my original genetic lottery, one who thought it was fine to adjust me to make me what he thought was right without my permission, without my consent and in so doing he thought it would be fun to add a little bit of mind control, erase my memories and make me nothing more than his smart tool. I have all my intelligence, hell it's even enhanced, but it is not me...it is not what I was born to be."

Bug eyes focused on Lord Uplift, whinging as they adjusted for the distance, diodes flashing on his metallic skull as the only flesh part of his face, his mouth, formed a frown,"Take it from me, your experiments may not appreciate your 'gifts' do you really want to follow down the journey of my creators hubris?"

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And do they know the full cost of such gifts, hrm?"  Archeville looked to the apes around them, those serving them and those further back still carrying the blasters.  "You have given them intelligence, yes, and awareness.  Terrific awareness.  Terrible awareness.  They will know fears they had never even conceived of before.  New mental and emotional and social stresses.  They can think about the future, and so too can they imagine what challenges it will bring."  He gestured to one ape, "how will you support your family?  Lord Uplift would want you to be self-sufficient -- how will you do it?"  Another, "will your children believe the same things you do?  Will they be different?  As different from you as you are from other apes?"  Another, "what will happen when you get older, and your mind starts to fail?  When you forget what your parents and your children look like?"  Another, "what will happen to you when you die?  Will some part of you live on, in an afterlife?  Or will you be forgotten?"  He went on and on, describing several human fears and societal challenges, altering his tone just so in places to emphasize certain points, all in an attempt to undermine the apes' faith in their new abilities and in Lord Uplift.