Connected feat variants

Dr Archeville

Connected lets you call in favors. You make a Diplomacy check, and how well you do on that determines how potent a favor you can get.

Agents of Freedom offers a variant where you can use another Interaction skill -- Bluff or Intimidate -- to call in favors with Connected.

Could such variants be used here? Say, as two new feats, Con-Artist (as Connected, but uses Bluff instead of Diplomacy) and Leg-Breaker (as Connected, but uses Intimidate instead of Diplomacy)? And possibly a third, Blackmailer (as Connected, but uses Gather Information instead of Diplomacy)?

I love the ancillary feat idea as it brings a more character specific element to the game. I’ll see if other skills deserve the same making over. Nevertheless, would a character with an ancillary feat need Connected to influence contacts that are more ‘powerful’? I mean, it’s hard to believe your cookie-cuter leg-break could intimidate let alone contact a state senator or a street thug black mailing a mafia don.

I mean, it’s hard to believe your cookie-cuter leg-break could intimidate let alone contact a state senator or a street thug black mailing a mafia don.

Well, neither a "cookie-cutter leg breaker" nor a "street thug" would have a very high Intimidate or Gather Information check modifiers in the first place, so there'd be limits to what they can get anyway.

Connected lets you call in favors. You make a Diplomacy check, and how well you do on that determines how potent a favor you can get.

Agents of Freedom offers a variant where you can use another Interaction skill -- Bluff or Intimidate -- to call in favors with Connected.

Could such variants be used here? Say, as two new feats, Con-Artist (as Connected, but uses Bluff instead of Diplomacy) and Leg-Breaker (as Connected, but uses Intimidate instead of Diplomacy)? And possibly a third, Blackmailer (as Connected, but uses Gather Information instead of Diplomacy)?

The only real problem I see with these variants are that they have very negative actions associated to them. Forcing or tricking someone into doing something for you only calls for revenge. Failure with any of these variants, should have the down side of the player receiving either an enemy or haivng their plans turned against them.

Just think of how you would responde to someone blackmailing you into doing something. You'll be looking for a way out of the situation at every opportunity and if you get teh chance, would not hesistate to turn the tables.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, then how about taking ranks in Diplomacy just for use with the Connected feat? Would that be a Flaw, or a Drawback, or just a Complication?

And this would be a flaw/drawback in what way? How often do peopel use diplomacy to get a favorable result? Most people wouldn't. Limiting ranks in Diplomacy only to be used iwth the main feat that uses the skill doesn'T seem much like a limitation to me.