Business & Technology [OOC]

Dr Archeville

During the meeting, would you be interested in having something happen, like, say, a supervillain breaking in looking for components or prototypes, or a demonstration of one of Darts newest weapons malfunctioning [perhaps after Doc fiddles with it] and tearing a rift in space/time to left Something in? Or would you prefer to keep this a strictly role-play, character-development thing? I'm fine with either.

Hrmmm, that's a tough one. See I tend to do a few threads were something goes awry or something, so for a change of pace it would be cool to do something "normal" but at the same time, I've been in those sort of threads just because I love them so much. So I really can't decide. But I think a demonstration of some of the technology would be appropriate, malfunctioning or otherwise. If you want to more than that, I'd be quite happy to go along with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Slight clarification: the room we're in right now is simply the idea room. Its where the plans are made and stored, the prototypes themselves are kept in another room. Maddie is working on the plans right now, making a few modifications to the design of the HHC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, I may have an idea. Well, I have an idea to present, it's not my idea per se:

A thread called "Business and Technology?" You'd have to beat me off with a stick.

And I have the perfect idea for my arrival- an unsolicited but friendly takeover offer, made in person. Dart, Inc. is a small, agile company in the same line of work as Shinken's with a couple of good ideas, apparently on the verge of forming a strategic partnership from the famous Dr. Archeville.

How do you feel about Benjiro just walking in the door and asking the receptionist if Mr. Micheals is in?

Keep in mind that despite being the most successful person in the room, and despite being quite a smart cookie, Benjiro is also the dumbest one here, both by raw Intelligence modifier and Knowledge: Technology bonus.

Also: is Dart, Inc. publicly traded? And, if so, is Eric Micheals a majority or merely a plurality shareholder?

Publicly traded, Eric is the majority shareholder. And don't worry about sounding dumb here, we all do that next to Dr. A, he's more fluent in technobabble than I'll ever be, to the point where I'm not even sure where to draw the line between babble and actual science.

I kind of got around that by having Eric play down how smart he is at work just so people won't connect the dots between him and Malice.

Publicly traded, Eric is the majority shareholder. And don't worry about sounding dumb here, we all do that next to Dr. A, he's more fluent in technobabble than I'll ever be, to the point where I'm not even sure where to draw the line between babble and actual science.

Flattery will get you... somewhere ;)

I kind of got around that by having Eric play down how smart he is at work just so people won't connect the dots between him and Malice.

That's a cool idea.

I generally stick to real, if sometimes exotic, science wherever I can with Shinken. For whatever reason, a hard(ish)-SF inventor in a soft-SF world is a concept that appeals to me.

.... said the guy whose character wears powered armor decades more advanced than what Stark wore in Iron Man (assuming what I've read about agility/speed enhancement being a far, far tougher deal than simple strength or toughness enhancement is correct).... ;)

Depends on what advances more quickly- energy density in your batteries or fuel, or processing power and brain-computer interfaces. The former is a branch of materials science and chemistry that seems doomed to incremental progress until someone works out how to miniaturize safe nuclear power- fission needs heavy lead shielding, and fusion's been twenty years away for fifty years now. The latter is subject to Moore's Law, and there are surgically invasive brain-computer interfaces of the type used by Shinken in the real-world working prototype stage.

For a long time, it *looked* like agility enhancement would be a lot harder than strength enhancement, because of the midcentury advances in nuclear power, materials science, and chemistry: however, the optimistic projections of how those technologies would be applied have stubbornly refused to be realized, while other techs emerged that were less resistant to application.

In short, it's not as crazy as it sounds!