Character Edits Resulting from New Board Rules

Dr Archeville

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, what I'm asking is for him to take an Alternate Power feat for the array in his Device as part of his own abilities rather than part of his Device. Although if there was a way to get Autofire and Full-round Action onto all attacks he made with a bow that wasn't convoluted to pull off, colour me interested.

This is a bit convoluted sounding. What exactly would this look like?

This is a bit convoluted sounding. What exactly would this look like?

Well, the 'Autofire on everything' wasn't my suggestion, so I don't know. My original request was to have an alternate power feat for the array within his bow device as part of the character's abilities rather than in the Device container.

So his Device would look as follows:

Device 3 (Easy to Lose; Bow and trick arrows): 9 pp

Alternate power 1 for Bow array: 1 pp

Devices: Bow & Arrows

Blast 3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty 3, Variable Descriptor [bludgeoning/piercing/slashing]) Normal, blunt and bladed arrows

AP: Fatigue 4 (Extras: Ranged) Tranquiliser arrows

AP: Nullify 5 (technology descriptor) EMP arrows

AP: Obscure 5 (visual; 100’ radius, Extras: Independent) Smokebomb arrows

AP: Stun 4 (Extras: Ranged) Taser arrows

AP (outwith Device): Blast 3 (Extras: Autofire, Flaws: Full-round action, feats: Mighty 2, Variable Descriptor [bludgeoning/piercing/slashing]) Rapid Shot

Therefore, anyone who gets his bow and quiver wouldn't gain access to rapid shooting, but Arrowhawk is able to do it but can't without his bow, hence the feat costing slightly more than it would as part of an Easy to Lose device.

Okay, lets see if I can pull this off.

Malice's new trade off are: -2 Def/ +2 Tough, Melee Attacks -2 Atk/ +2 DC, Ranged attacks have no trade off

The New Mantle of Freedom:

Summation of Changes:

Protection 9 -> Protection 6 (3 points)

Weapons Array 18 (3 PF's) -> Weapons Array 15 (2 PF's) (7 points)

So lost 2 points in device, giving me 8 more points to mess with over all.

Then get rid of Dodge Focus (2), and Increase Defense Bonus to 8 (increasing from 5 to 8) [so +2 points, -6 points]

4 points left over, so I'll buy 16 ranks in skills divided as such:

Craft (mechanical) 8 (+13) - 8 ranks

Diplomacy 5 (+7) - 1 rank

Disable Device 5 (+10) - 1 rank

Knowledge (technology) 8 (+13) - 1 rank

Knowledge (civics) 5 (+10) - 1 rank

Knowledge (business) 5 (+10) - 1 rank

Medicine 3 (+4) - 3 ranks

These ranks just represent a greater understanding of technology and the board room, and rudimentary knowledge of how to patch one's own wounds.

So if my math is right, Malice still has outstanding point which he had before the rule changes.

For completeness:

Costs: Abilities (18) + Combat (32) + Saves (14) + Skills (18) + Feats (10) + Powers (68) - Drawbacks (04) = 156/157

I think you skipped me. Is it good, bad, needs work, etc.?

Wesley Remix, take two

Drop the array down to 13 (-6)

Drop the Protection down to 5 (-4)

Drop the Base Will to 8 (-2)

Drop the Base Reflex to 8 (-2)

Add Enhanced Constitution 6 (+6)

Add Super-Senses 6 (Sense Life (mental; Detect, Free Action, Ranged, Accute, Accurate)) (+6)

Add Medicine 5 (+1.25)

Add Know (life sciences) 3 (+0.75)

Super-Senses already effectively require a Free Action, so that's only Super-Senses 5.

Also, any word on Quark?

Still workin'.

Quark wasn't that hard at all :P

Powers: 53pp

Device 6 (The Quark Suit, 30 points, hard to lose) 24pp

Device 5 (Protection Undersuit, 25 points, hard to lose) 20pp

Device 1 (Teleport Watch, 5 points, hard to lose) 4pp

Device 1 (Babel Fish PDA, 5 points, easy to lose) 3pp

Immunity 1 (sleep; PF: Innate) 2pp

Devices:

Quark Suit: 30 points

Flight 4 (100 mph)

Mimic 6 (all powers at once, Extras: Alternate Save/Toughness, Range/Ranged; Flaws: Resisted, Tainted, Unreliable [5 charges]; PFs: Accurate 3, 1 Alternate Power)

AP: Blast 6 (Extras: Autofire 2; Flaw: Action/Full; PF: Accurate 3)

Teleport Watch: 5 points

Super-Movement 2 (Dimensional 1), Super Senses 3 (Direction Sense, Radio, Time Sense)

Protection Undersuit: 25 points

Protection 7 (Extra: Impervious 6)

Enhanced Defense 6

Babel Fish PDA: 5 points

Comprehend 2 (speak to and understand machines)

AP: Datalink 4

Updated by Doc.

Okay, lets see if I can pull this off.

Malice's new trade off are: -2 Def/ +2 Tough, Melee Attacks -2 Atk/ +2 DC, Ranged attacks have no trade off

The New Mantle of Freedom:

Summation of Changes:

Protection 9 -> Protection 6 (3 points)

Weapons Array 18 (3 PF's) -> Weapons Array 15 (2 PF's) (7 points)

So lost 2 points in device, giving me 8 more points to mess with over all.

Then get rid of Dodge Focus (2), and Increase Defense Bonus to 8 (increasing from 5 to 8) [so +2 points, -6 points]

4 points left over, so I'll buy 16 ranks in skills divided as such:

Craft (mechanical) 8 (+13) - 8 ranks

Diplomacy 5 (+7) - 1 rank

Disable Device 5 (+10) - 1 rank

Knowledge (technology) 8 (+13) - 1 rank

Knowledge (civics) 5 (+10) - 1 rank

Knowledge (business) 5 (+10) - 1 rank

Medicine 3 (+4) - 3 ranks

These ranks just represent a greater understanding of technology and the board room, and rudimentary knowledge of how to patch one's own wounds.

So if my math is right, Malice still has outstanding point which he had before the rule changes.

For completeness:

Costs: Abilities (18) + Combat (32) + Saves (14) + Skills (18) + Feats (10) + Powers (68) - Drawbacks (04) = 156/157

I've put in all the changes, but I'm getting 152/157.

I'm not really seeing a perception range eyeblast attack. I can't really picture it. Would you consider getting something else? Maybe just a straightforward blast?

I just thought that since perception is about being able to sense it and the eyes are used for visual sensing it would make sense.

So remove the alternate power and instead add 1 to Will save please.

Not really a change, since even in core the Action is listed (in the lil' stat block) as Free. Thus, it doesn't need anything more to be a Free action.

Well, the short answer is that it was changed in UP.

The long answer is that Detect used to require a move action, even though Super-Senses by default in the core are Free Action/Permanent Duration. This meant that you had to use it with Notice checks that were intentional (taking the time to try and notice something, as per page 52 of the core book), and that you couldn't use them as a reaction. This restriction was removed in UP when the default became Action (none)/Continuous Duration. The ability to sense things more quickly became Rapid, but it isn't needed to be able to use Detect as a normal sense.

Overall, the new timing of Super-Senses makes more sense (no pun intended). The action before was never the action to use the power, since it only gave you the ability to make better or non-standard Notice checks, and there's no Super-sensing things when unable to take actions due to unconsciousness.

It does if he either

* Loses one rank of his Impervious Protection (-2pp) to gain one more rank of Base Defense bonus (+2pp), or

* Loses one rank of Protection (but keeps the same amount of Impervious) and gains 1 rank of Dodge Focus.

Well, the lack of reply from him means I'm going to go with his getting that first one, so..

Done

Well, the 'Autofire on everything' wasn't my suggestion, so I don't know. My original request was to have an alternate power feat for the array within his bow device as part of the character's abilities rather than in the Device container.

So his Device would look as follows:

Device 3 (Easy to Lose; Bow and trick arrows): 9 pp

Alternate power 1 for Bow array: 1 pp

Devices: Bow & Arrows

Blast 3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty 3, Variable Descriptor [bludgeoning/piercing/slashing]) Normal, blunt and bladed arrows

AP: Fatigue 4 (Extras: Ranged) Tranquiliser arrows

AP: Nullify 5 (technology descriptor) EMP arrows

AP: Obscure 5 (visual; 100’ radius, Extras: Independent) Smokebomb arrows

AP: Stun 4 (Extras: Ranged) Taser arrows

AP (outwith Device): Blast 3 (Extras: Autofire, Flaws: Full-round action, feats: Mighty 2, Variable Descriptor [bludgeoning/piercing/slashing]) Rapid Shot

Therefore, anyone who gets his bow and quiver wouldn't gain access to rapid shooting, but Arrowhawk is able to do it but can't without his bow, hence the feat costing slightly more than it would as part of an Easy to Lose device.

Okay... I can include it as an ap within his device array, but it would have to be done from the points from device, in that the array, is from device. The other problem would be is that autofire has to apply to every part of your base damage code to be usable so you basically need to buy autofire 6.

I'd really suggest spending the point some other way.

Yeah, but putting it in the array makes no sense whatsoever. Yeah, picking up his bow and arrows would let you start firing out smokebombs and EMPs, that's a property of the arrows themselves, but what about the device itself would let you fire multiple arrows in a short space of time?

The breakdown of the AP was also:

Blast 3 (Extras: Autofire, Flaws: Full-round action, feats: Mighty 2, Variable Descriptor [bludgeoning/piercing/slashing])

- Blast 3 = 6 pp (+1 Autofire, -1 Action)

- Mighty 2 = 4 pp (Mighty 2 is 2 pp, buying the Autofire extra is 2 pp more)

- Variable Descriptor = 1 pp

Which fits in the array as it only costs 11 pp.

How about putting it in the Device, but having the Restricted feat limiting certain slots in the array to those with a certain attack bonus with bows. It'd work out the same cost as restricting the whole array to those with say, a +12 attack bonus, but the fact it only affects a few APs is player choice.