The Midnight Society

Thevshi

Richard found himself alone just in time for the arrival of all the new faces, and for a very good reason. He couldn't precisely fault Rose for going off to buttonhole Dr. Hiryoshi from Grant Conglomerates about astro-medical research plans; not when she had her career to think about when her time working as a lab tech for the government came to an end. After all, half the reason they'd come to the party was so she could meet people who could give her the job they deserved.

Perhaps he was left to his own devices, but he was a man with considerable devices. He nodded a cordial greeting to Lucy King, making a mental note of exactly what the granddaughter of Hieronymous King actually looked like, before he boldly strode up to the newest arrival at the party. "Emissary, isn't it? Good to see you! My father speaks very highly of your diplomatic work around the city. Richard O'Connor." Richard is all smiles, and considerably more jovial than any figures in blue and gold Emissary might be familiar with.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He smiles amiably in response.

"Ah! Yes, I have had the oppourtunity for sometime discourse with your father. I find his actions as this city's leader most commendable. His efforts to find ways to give a voice to the concerns of those in your city who might not otherwise be heard are quite wonderful as a standard for others."

A slightly wider smile as he ponders the rest of Richard's words.

"Well.. my own efforts, at least in terms of day to day impact, I would find comparatively meager, but I am deeply appreciative of esteem from such as he. I do certainly hope to provide what education and inspiration I can through my society's ideals, as much as I can represent them in word and deed."

He pauses.

"I am in a still lingering uncertainty on something vaguely, if you wouldn't mind humouring a question, as it seems to vary wildly in political families across the world, are you yourself in the city's service in any capacity? It is admittedly just a curiosity."

"Ah! Yes, I have had the oppourtunity for sometime discourse with your father. I find his actions as this city's leader most commendable. His efforts to find ways to give a voice to the concerns of those in your city who might not otherwise be heard are quite wonderful as a standard for others."

"Well.. my own efforts, at least in terms of day to day impact, I would find comparatively meager, but I am deeply appreciative of esteem from such as he. I do certainly hope to provide what education and inspiration I can through my society's ideals, as much as I can represent them in word and deed."

He pauses.

"I am in a still lingering uncertainty on something vaguely, if you wouldn't mind humouring a question, as it seems to vary wildly in political families across the world, are you yourself in the city's service in any capacity? It is admittedly just a curiosity."

He pauses.

"Yes, yes I am," says Richard proudly, "I'm a consulting engineer for the city government. When there's an engineering problem, like that pedestrian walkway on the Wading Way that almost collapsed last month, they bring me in to help fix it. I generally only go to work when there's some sort of crisis going on. I'm sort of a...troubleshooter" He grins at Emissary again. "You're not the first foriegn ambassador I've seen here, but you are the first who flew. C'mon, I'll introduce you around."

"Yes, yes I am," says Richard proudly, "I'm a consulting engineer for the city government. When there's an engineering problem, like that pedestrian walkway on the Wading Way that almost collapsed last month, they bring me in to help fix it. I generally only go to work when there's some sort of crisis going on. I'm sort of a...troubleshooter" He grins at Emissary again. "You're not the first foriegn ambassador I've seen here, but you are the first who flew. C'mon, I'll introduce you around."

"Likewise. Your father has praised you quite a bit, you know. You're a senior in the Academy, aren't you? What are you studying?"

But Benjiro's solicitous inquiries are interrupted by the somewhat bombastic introduction of Hieronymus King, and he turns his wheelchair slightly to reguard this new arrival.

"There's no need to be introduced, I think. We did some business recently- a subsidiary of yours provided the propellant for our our M830A2 plasma-based HEAT rounds. Benjiro Fujisama, of Ares Macrotechnology. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. King."

"Likewise. Your father has praised you quite a bit, you know. You're a senior in the Academy, aren't you? What are you studying?"

But Benjiro's solicitous inquiries are interrupted by the somewhat bombastic introduction of Hieronymus King, and he turns his wheelchair slightly to reguard this new arrival.

"There's no need to be introduced, I think. We did some business recently- a subsidiary of yours provided the propellant for our our M830A2 plasma-based HEAT rounds. Benjiro Fujisama, of Ares Macrotechnology. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. King."

"Likewise. Your father has praised you quite a bit, you know. You're a senior in the Academy, aren't you? What are you studying?

“Yes, North Bay Academy.†Megan replied with a smile. “We pretty much have a lot of required classes, but I am taking some electives on economics and civics. I am also Captain of the cheerleading squad, and on the debate team and some other clubs.â€Â

"Likewise. Your father has praised you quite a bit, you know. You're a senior in the Academy, aren't you? What are you studying?

“Yes, North Bay Academy.†Megan replied with a smile. “We pretty much have a lot of required classes, but I am taking some electives on economics and civics. I am also Captain of the cheerleading squad, and on the debate team and some other clubs.â€Â

"That's excellent, well, not issues of infrastructure, but my people have a high regard for engineers, it is a craft that creates and ensures legacies alike."

He nods to Richard's offer.

"Oh, certainly. I do recognize one or two faces here from other functions, but many are new to me."

"That's excellent, well, not issues of infrastructure, but my people have a high regard for engineers, it is a craft that creates and ensures legacies alike."

"Oh, certainly. I do recognize one or two faces here from other functions, but many are new to me."

Benjiro's eyebrows shoot up.

"That's quite a schedule. Sounds like you're thinking about going into business law with that courseload?"

Combine it with the high academic standards at North Bay and it sounds like a suicidal pace. I hope her parents aren't pushing her into it.

Reminds me of my own college days at the University of Tokyo- 120-hour weeks spent learning engineering by day and frantically trying to apply what I'd learned to the suit by night, knowing in the back of my mind that I had to finish it before my fingers became too weak to hold a wielding torch...the money running rapidly dry, living on ramen for three months to afford three ounces of daka crystals...

One long nightmare, really. And look where I am now.

Maybe a schedule like that isn't such a bad idea.

"That's quite a schedule. Sounds like you're thinking about going into business law with that courseload?"

Combine it with the high academic standards at North Bay and it sounds like a suicidal pace. I hope her parents aren't pushing her into it.

Reminds me of my own college days at the University of Tokyo- 120-hour weeks spent learning engineering by day and frantically trying to apply what I'd learned to the suit by night, knowing in the back of my mind that I had to finish it before my fingers became too weak to hold a wielding torch...the money running rapidly dry, living on ramen for three months to afford three ounces of daka crystals...

Richard's not nearly as smooth as the true masters in the room, but he has been attending social events, charity balls, and other society functions for most of his adult life. "Some of these people are new to me," he admits with a chuckle, "but that just makes it more of an adventure for all of us." He sticks with the O'Connor loyalists that he knows the best, introducing Emissary to city officials who are likely to get along well with the mayor's son and his new buddy. "Have you met Dr. Fujisama? I think he's the only guest who came from further away than you did."

Richard's not nearly as smooth as the true masters in the room, but he has been attending social events, charity balls, and other society functions for most of his adult life. "Some of these people are new to me," he admits with a chuckle, "but that just makes it more of an adventure for all of us." He sticks with the O'Connor loyalists that he knows the best, introducing Emissary to city officials who are likely to get along well with the mayor's son and his new buddy. "Have you met Dr. Fujisama? I think he's the only guest who came from further away than you did."

Emissary, as it turns out, while clearly coming from a completely different etiquette, handles himself well, either being extremely adaptive as far as the functions he has attended to date, or just from that he can manage conversations engagingly off of force of personality. He does give Richard an ocassionally thankful look when he can outright feel bypassing people who's questions to him would have been entirely more bizarre and off putting, as much as they were a part of why this society periodically invited him to their gatherings.

"I actually have not. And that sounds quite interesting."

Emissary, as it turns out, while clearly coming from a completely different etiquette, handles himself well, either being extremely adaptive as far as the functions he has attended to date, or just from that he can manage conversations engagingly off of force of personality. He does give Richard an ocassionally thankful look when he can outright feel bypassing people who's questions to him would have been entirely more bizarre and off putting, as much as they were a part of why this society periodically invited him to their gatherings.