The Midnight Society

Thevshi

"Uh-huh." Amelia tried to think of a response, something that would play into her new character, but the wordiness of the Emissary's reply kept breaking her concentration. 'Which century did this guy walk out of?' Finally she settled for the simple tactic of being a witty playgirl. "Bright colors, huh? Sounds like someone's been enjoying the nightlife. :twisted: "

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Uh-huh." Amelia tried to think of a response, something that would play into her new character, but the wordiness of the Emissary's reply kept breaking her concentration. 'Which century did this guy walk out of?' Finally she settled for the simple tactic of being a witty playgirl. "Bright colors, huh? Sounds like someone's been enjoying the nightlife. :twisted: "

He blinked.

"Well, yes, I have very much! Your city is wonderfully exciting at night, but particularly I enjoy taking aloft until I can look down from the skies and the city seems almost as a glittering jewel in a sea of evening. Or.. oh! The manner in which there seems often to be a greater eagerness in the step of the people for whom their day of work has ended, and their time of leisure has begun, that they have spirit and energy left for it."

"Admittedly I am often called forth from taking in such simple pleasures in hearing a cry for help or need for assisstance that must be tended to, but in my view, that is a way of expressing gratitude for being allowed them."

It is difficult to tell if that was all deflection of the snark, or if he is just that cheerful. Chances are however, he is just that cheerful.

He blinked.

"Well, yes, I have very much! Your city is wonderfully exciting at night, but particularly I enjoy taking aloft until I can look down from the skies and the city seems almost as a glittering jewel in a sea of evening. Or.. oh! The manner in which there seems often to be a greater eagerness in the step of the people for whom their day of work has ended, and their time of leisure has begun, that they have spirit and energy left for it."

"Admittedly I am often called forth from taking in such simple pleasures in hearing a cry for help or need for assisstance that must be tended to, but in my view, that is a way of expressing gratitude for being allowed them."

It is difficult to tell if that was all deflection of the snark, or if he is just that cheerful. Chances are however, he is just that cheerful.

He blinked.

Benjiro flushes, looking at his knees for a moment, then looks back up.

"Mr. Emissary- forgive me if this is a personal question, but I find my curiosity piqued beyond endurance. Is your nature technological, magical, biological, or...some sort of Clarke's Third Law situation? "

"Ahm... I am afraid I am not yet familiar with the laws of this Clarke, in my role as a diplomat, I have had to familiarize myself with so many legal codes.... But as to my person.."

He pauses, and looks thoughtful, then offers helpfully.

"I would say that it would be a combination of the former, and the latter. And perhaps also.. the term might be.. psionic? Metaphysical? But regardless my basic form is a synthetic approximation of a Utopian, crafted in various alloys. Well, an upgraded approximation, but still."

He shakes his head.

"That is not too personal."

"Mr. Emissary- forgive me if this is a personal question, but I find my curiosity piqued beyond endurance. Is your nature technological, magical, biological, or...some sort of Clarke's Third Law situation? "

"Ahm... I am afraid I am not yet familiar with the laws of this Clarke, in my role as a diplomat, I have had to familiarize myself with so many legal codes.... But as to my person.."

"I would say that it would be a combination of the former, and the latter. And perhaps also.. the term might be.. psionic? Metaphysical? But regardless my basic form is a synthetic approximation of a Utopian, crafted in various alloys. Well, an upgraded approximation, but still."

He shakes his head.

He shakes his head.

Benjiro nods thoughtfully.

"Ah. Thank you.

Forgive me for using that bit of jargon- it is not a law in the legal sense, but more of an aphorism. It is a law of futurism, or prediction, coined by British science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke: 'any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.'

As indeed seems to be the case in your situation."

"Ah. Thank you.

Forgive me for using that bit of jargon- it is not a law in the legal sense, but more of an aphorism. It is a law of futurism, or prediction, coined by British science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke: 'any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.'

"Ah. Thank you.

"Ah. Thank you.

"Hm."

He paused, and formed just a bit of a frown.

"I don't know, it carries a subtle implication that the technology could not be understood. While for my own part I could not relate perfectly the details and circumstance of my birthing, in what discussions I have had on it with those involved, the principles are of sound science in my society. Advanced, and extremely difficult and time consuming to duplicate even by its standards to be sure, but still."

"Ahm.. and really, your world has, even in my narrow experience and reading of it, men that fly through artifice, constructs that feel and think, nascent steps taken in the direction of the mechanical and the biological being able to seamlessly duplicate one another as far as artificial organs and the like, and function besides on an enhanced level, they have not just yet developed to the point that such fields have in my homeland, though I am sure that one day they will .. I admit the process through which my sentience was developed does not have a comparable frame of reference in anything I am familliar with from your world, but the exciting and punctuated near frenzy in which your scienfitic understanding seems to often move forward should mean this too will not always be so."

"Ah. Thank you.

"Hm."

"I don't know, it carries a subtle implication that the technology could not be understood. While for my own part I could not relate perfectly the details and circumstance of my birthing, in what discussions I have had on it with those involved, the principles are of sound science in my society. Advanced, and extremely difficult and time consuming to duplicate even by its standards to be sure, but still."

"Ahm.. and really, your world has, even in my narrow experience and reading of it, men that fly through artifice, constructs that feel and think, nascent steps taken in the direction of the mechanical and the biological being able to seamlessly duplicate one another as far as artificial organs and the like, and function besides on an enhanced level, they have not just yet developed to the point that such fields have in my homeland, though I am sure that one day they will .. I admit the process through which my sentience was developed does not have a comparable frame of reference in anything I am familliar with from your world, but the exciting and punctuated near frenzy in which your scienfitic understanding seems to often move forward should mean this too will not always be so."

"Ah. Thank you.

"Hm."

• 2 weeks later...

Adam Kirk

adam.jpg

It's safe to say that Adam was feeling pretty good by this point - he'd done what he'd come here to do, met some interesting people in the process and had enough alcohol to make him calm down, but not too much to dull his wits. Safe to say, he hadn't felt this good in a long time. He turned back to the bar and placed his empty glass in view of the bartender, but waved away the offer for a refill. His eyes scanned the room, looking for nothing in particular, but they happened upon something very particular. A young blonde, drinking at the bar looking a little bored. Adam considered for a moment, tossing up in his mind just what he wanted from the evening. You know what? I nothing. Right now I don't need anything. That said, a little conversation is always a good thing. And with that thought on his mind, he scooted his way up the bar and introduced himself to the young lady, "Hi, my name's Adam - do you mind if I sit with you?"