Power Level: 6 (90pp)

Unspent PP: 0

Character’s Name: Karma

Alternate Identity: Vicki Browne

Height: 5’4†- 5’6†in costume

Weight: 130 lb

Hair: Braided shoulder-length black

Eyes: Brown

Description: Vicki Browne is a black teenage girl of around average height and build, if more muscular than most.

She wears her hair in braids of about shoulder length, and typically wears jeans or denim skirts and various T-shirts or sweat shirts when not in costume or her Claremont Academy uniform.

Her Karma costume consists mostly of normal clothing in garish black and purple: Bright purple tights, a black skirt, a purple tank top, a black buttoned shirt worn open, and black and purple platform shoes. She conceals her identity with a purple mask (trimmed with black) and ties her braids back behind her head .

History: My background isn’t so amazing, although I think things might have been worse if I hadn’t been born in Freedomâ€â€lucky, I guess.

Born and raised here, in Freedom City, in one of the nicer neighborhoods in southern Freedom.

I’ve… always been lucky. Things have always tended to go my way. That’s gotten truer and truer as I’ve gotten older. I can guess answers on a test and get them rightâ€â€and that’s when I didn’t study just the right parts of the book anyway. I always made the team or gotten the part I wanted in the school play, and usually because of a lucky shot or happenstance. I’ve won a lot of raffles, and my room is crowded with those giant stuffed animals that nobody ever wins in carnival games.

Given where I grew up, and what growing up was like for me, I wasn’t that shocked when I started to realize that I wasn’t just lucky, I was actually influencing probability. I did it subconsciously at first, but I’ve gotten better at controlling it now. Things still happen in my favor without me even trying, though.

See, it’s like this. Y’know how they say that, at any time, there’s a huge big number of different things that could happen? I tend to naturally… prune off some of the less-interesting ones. And the ones I like, but that are really unlikely? If I focus (or just really want it) I can make it, well, more likely. And vice versa; things that would probably happen, but that I wouldn’t like, suddenly probably will not happen instead. They still might, but, y’know, probably not.

As luck would have it, I found myself once at the scene of a bank robbery while trying to take out some money from my school’s drama club account to use for buying props. Some… unlikely kept the robbers from hurting anybody and delayed them until some of our local superheroes showed up. I didn’t think anybody knew that I gave that outcome a little push, but somebody must’ve.

Still, my lucky day. That altercation got me an invite into the Claremont Academy, and I’ve had a bit of a chance to practice both my powers and my self-defense skills.

I haven’t done any hero-ing since stopping that robbery, but I… I think I’m ready. My power is stronger than I realized when I really focus at it, and I can do some amazing things.

I chose the superheroine name “Karmaâ€Â. Quick and dirty definition of that word: Bad stuff is more likely to happen to bad people, good stuff to good people. I help that happen.

Good name for me?

Complications:

Phobia (Bad luck and luck-related superstitions), Responsibility (Family), Secret (Identity)

Allegiances: Good, Claremont Academy, Freedom City

Stats: 16pp

Str: 14 (+2)

Dex: 14 (+2)

Con: 12 (+1)

Int: 12 (+1)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Cha: 14 (+2)

Combat: 8pp

Attack: +2

Grapple: +8

Defense: +2 (16, 11 flat-footed)

Knockback: -3, -2 flat-footed

Initiative: +6

Saves: 9pp

Toughness: +6/+5 Flat-footed/+2 vs Crits (+1 Con, +1 Defensive Roll, +4 Protection)

Fortitude: +3 (+1 Con, +2)

Reflex: +5 (+2 Dex, +3)

Will: +4 (+0 Wis, +4)

Skills: 16r = 4pp

Intimidate 8 (+10)

Notice 4 (+4)

Sense Motive 4 (+4)

Feats: 1pp

Defensive Roll

Powers: 52pp

Blast 6 (Extra: Alternate Save/Fort; PF: 3 Alternate Powers) [21]

AP: Blast 6 (PFs: Indirect 3, Variable Descriptor 2)

AP: Nullify 6 (All Defense Powers at once)

AP: Strike 4 (Extra: Linked Stun 6; PF: Mighty)

Enhanced Attack 4 [8]

Enhanced Feats 11 (Dodge Focus 4, Beginner's Luck, Evasion, Improved Critical (Strike), Improved Initiative, Luck 3) [11]

Luck Control 3 (Spend HP on another's behalf, spend HP to negate another's HP or GM fiat, spend HP to force a re-roll for the worse) [9]

Protection 4 (Drawback: Weak Point) [3]

Drawbacks: 0pp

None

DC Block:

Unarmed -- DC 17/Toughness -- Damage

Blast -- DC 21/Toughness 21 -- Bruise (Indirect 3, Variable Descriptor 2)

Blast -- DC 21/Fort -- Bruise

Nullify -- +6 opposed Power Check -- Negates Defense Powers

Strike -- DC 21/Toughness -- Bruise (Crit 19-20) plus

* Stun -- DC 16/Fort -- stunned

Costs: Abilities (16) + Combat (8) + Saves (9) + Skills (4) + Feats (1) + Powers (52) - Drawbacks (00) = Total Cost 90

Power Descriptions:

All of Karma's powers come from a mutation that she was born with, that has grown slowly in power as she grew up. She was using them subconsciously to some extent all along, but she is far more powerful when she concentrates.

Indirect Blast:

It would be very unlikely for an object to fall on a villain, and even more unlikely that it would actually hurt him or her.

Karma can vastly increase the likelihood that accidents like this happen around her.

This usually has the bludgeoning descriptor, but if other types of accidents are more likely the GM could change it for a particular attack.

Blast vs Fort:

The human body (or most other structures that Karma might want to damage, for that matter) is a very complex thing. The number of things that may simply go wrong is very high, and, as hospital emergency staffs can attest, sometimes they do.

Karma can increase the likelihood of these circumstances occurring by a very large degree. She could attempt to inflict serious complications like heart attacks, but has always used non-lethal ones in the past and has no intention of changing that. People just pass out sometimes; it happens.

Enhanced Attack/Dodge Focus:

Karma has some skill in battle, but most of her ability is pure luck. Opponents tend to dodge the wrong way into her attacks, and sometimes she avoids blows by tripping and stumbling out of the way.

Strike/Stun:

Karma’s punches and kicks always seem to hit her opponents in just the right spots to hurt them far more than one would expect.

Protection:

Even when foes manage to land attacks on Karma, its often a glancing blow or otherwise not very damaging. It is less likely than one might expect to land a solid hit on this girl.

A truly lucky opponent, however, can beat the odds.

Nullify:

Enemies’ defenses aren’t infallible. Sometimes, they just aren’t working properly or the heroes’ attacks hit in just the right ways to get around them. It’s possible, after allâ€â€and the possible is probable.

I made a few adjustments.

I moves most of her feats to Enhanced Feats, since they were mostly based on her luck anyway.

I also moved a few points around so I could get Luck Control out of the array. It occurred to me that having a reaction power in an array full of mostly standard action attacks didn't work very well. :oops:

I've had a chance to look through the character, and her backstory looks very good. There are a couple of things to look at from a mechanical perspective, though.

Her Defense should be 11 when flat-footed (one-half the normal defense, and no benefit from Dodge Focus), and her initiative should only be +2.

Why is she so intimidating? 8 ranks is professional level, and it didn't seem like she was that scary from her backstory.

I'm ok with all of the powers and APs with the exception of the Healing. While the other things can be explained through luck (good or bad) happening, Healing requires retroactive change to make sense. I might be able to see Regeneration (Bruised 3) (Extra: Affects Others, Range (Perception)) as a way for Karma to help someone shake off an injury more quickly, but only minor injuries like bruises make sense with that method.

Also, the enhanced feats should say 10. It's currently listed as 8, though the pp total at the end is correct.

Her Defense should be 11 when flat-footed (one-half the normal defense, and no benefit from Dodge Focus), and her initiative should only be +2.

Huh. Fixed.

Why is she so intimidating? 8 ranks is professional level, and it didn't seem like she was that scary from her backstory.

Natural talent rather than trained skill. This is a girl who can actually make one suffer a literal run of bad luck, after all. Perhaps it should be Enhanced rather than normal ranks, though.

I don't really mind lowering it, if you wish.

I'm ok with all of the powers and APs with the exception of the Healing. While the other things can be explained through luck (good or bad) happening, Healing requires retroactive change to make sense. I might be able to see Regeneration (Bruised 3) (Extra: Affects Others, Range (Perception)) as a way for Karma to help someone shake off an injury more quickly, but only minor injuries like bruises make sense with that method.

I thought of the Healing when I was adding the Blast vs Fort. I figured the same explanation could work the other way around, too. It's a minor point though, if you don't like it I can drop it.

The Regeneration could also work. Should probably change the duration to Continuous, too, although it doesn't make much of a difference.

Also, the enhanced feats should say 10. It's currently listed as 8, though the pp total at the end is correct.

Bah. Ability to count is overrated anyway. Fixed

Player’s Name: Karma

Power Level: 6

Description: Vicki Browne is a black teenage girl of around average height and build, if more muscular than most.

She wears her hair in braids of about shoulder length, and typically wears jeans or denim skirts and various T-shirts or sweat shirts when not in costume or her Claremont Academy uniform.

Her Karma costume consists mostly of normal clothing in garish black and purple: Bright purple tights, a black skirt, a purple tank top, a black buttoned shirt worn open, and black and purple platform shoes. She conceals her identity with a purple mask (trimmed with black) and ties her braids back behind her head .

History: My background isn’t so amazing, although I think things might have been worse if I hadn’t been born in Freedomâ€â€lucky, I guess.

Born and raised here, in Freedom City, in one of the nicer neighborhoods in southern Freedom.

I’ve… always been lucky. Things have always tended to go my way. That’s gotten truer and truer as I’ve gotten older. I can guess answers on a test and get them rightâ€â€and that’s when I didn’t study just the right parts of the book anyway. I always made the team or gotten the part I wanted in the school play, and usually because of a lucky shot or happenstance. I’ve won a lot of raffles, and my room is crowded with those giant stuffed animals that nobody ever wins in carnival games.

Given where I grew up, and what growing up was like for me, I wasn’t that shocked when I started to realize that I wasn’t just lucky, I was actually influencing probability. I did it subconsciously at first, but I’ve gotten better at controlling it now. Things still happen in my favor without me even trying, though.

See, it’s like this. Y’know how they say that, at any time, there’s a huge big number of different things that could happen? I tend to naturally… prune off some of the less-interesting ones. And the ones I like, but that are really unlikely? If I focus (or just really want it) I can make it, well, more likely. And vice versa; things that would probably happen, but that I wouldn’t like, suddenly probably will not happen instead. They still might, but, y’know, probably not.

As luck would have it, I found myself once at the scene of a bank robbery while trying to take out some money from my school’s drama club account to use for buying props. Some… unlikely kept the robbers from hurting anybody and delayed them until some of our local superheroes showed up. I didn’t think anybody knew that I gave that outcome a little push, but somebody must’ve.

Still, my lucky day. That altercation got me an invite into the Claremont Academy, and I’ve had a bit of a chance to practice both my powers and my self-defense skills.

I haven’t done any hero-ing since stopping that robbery, but I… I think I’m ready. My power is stronger than I realized when I really focus at it, and I can do some amazing things.

I chose the superheroine name “Karmaâ€Â. Quick and dirty definition of that word: Bad stuff is more likely to happen to bad people, good stuff to good people. I help that happen.

Good name for me?

Complications: Phobia (Bad luck and luck-related superstitions), Responsibility (Family), Secret (Identity)

Knockback: -3

Initiative: +2

Toughness: +6/+5 Flat-footed/+2 vs Crits (+1 Con, +1 Defensive Roll, +4 Protection)

Intimidate 8 (+10)

Notice 4 (+4)

Sense Motive 4 (+4)

Defensive Roll

Blast 6 (Extra: Alternate Save (Fort); PF: Alternate Power 4) [22]

AP: Blast 6 (PFs: Indirect 3)

AP: Healing 5 (Extra: Ranged)

AP: Nullify 7 (All Defense Powers)

Luck Control 3 (Spend HP on another's behalf, spend HP to negate another's HP or GM fiat, spend HP to force a re-roll for the worse) [9]

Enhanced Attack 4 [8]

Enhanced Feats 10 (Dodge Focus 4, Beginner's Luck, Evasion, Improved Critical (Strike), Luck 3) [10]

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

Blast +6 Toughness 21 Bruise

Blast +6 Fort 21 Bruise

Mighty Strike +6 Toughness 21/Fort 16 Bruise/Daze Crit 19-20

Nullify +6 +7 opposed Power Check Negates Defense Powers

Costs: Abilities (16) + Combat (8) + Saves (9) + Skills (4) + Feats (1) + Powers (52) - Drawbacks (00) = Total Cost 90

Power Descriptions:

All of Karma's powers come from a mutation that she was born with, that has grown slowly in power as she grew up. She was using them subconsciously to some extent all along, but she is far more powerful when she concentrates.

Indirect Blast:

It would be very unlikely for an object to fall on a villain, and even more unlikely that it would actually hurt him or her.

Karma can vastly increase the likelihood that accidents like this happen around her.

This usually has the bludgeoning descriptor, but if other types of accidents are more likely the GM could change it for a particular attack.

Blast vs Fort:

The human body (or most other structures that Karma might want to damage, for that matter) is a very complex thing. The number of things that may simply go wrong is very high, and, as hospital emergency staffs can attest, sometimes they do.

Karma can increase the likelihood of these circumstances occurring by a very large degree. She could attempt to inflict serious complications like heart attacks, but has always used non-lethal ones in the past and has no intention of changing that. People just pass out sometimes; it happens.

Healing:

Just as things might go wrong with the body, sometimes things fall into place just right.

Maybe an attack wasn’t as bad as it first appeared, maybe the hero recovers from unconsciousness at just the right time, or maybe things work out so that his injuries don’t actually make him any more susceptible to further attack.

Karma has some skill in battle, but most of her ability is pure luck. Opponents tend to dodge the wrong way into her attacks, and sometimes she avoids blows by tripping and stumbling out of the way.

Strike/Stun:

Karma’s punches and kicks always seem to hit her opponents in just the right spots to hurt them far more than one would expect.

Protection:

Even when foes manage to land attacks on Karma, its often a glancing blow or otherwise not very damaging. It is less likely than one might expect to land a solid hit on this girl.

Nullify:

Enemies’ defenses aren’t infallible. Sometimes, they just aren’t working properly or the heroes’ attacks hit in just the right ways to get around them. It’s possible, after allâ€â€and the possible is probable.

Certainly true. Healing removed. I put the point in Enhanced Feats, for improved initiative.

Player’s Name: Karma

Power Level: 6

Good name for me?

Complications: Phobia (Bad luck and luck-related superstitions), Responsibility (Family), Secret (Identity)

Knockback: -3

Initiative: +6

Intimidate 8 (+10)

Notice 4 (+4)

Sense Motive 4 (+4)

Defensive Roll

Blast 6 (Extra: Alternate Save (Fort); PF: Alternate Power 3) [21]

AP: Blast 6 (PFs: Indirect 3)

AP: Nullify 7 (All Defense Powers)

Enhanced Attack 4 [8]

Enhanced Feats 11 (Dodge Focus 4, Beginner's Luck, Evasion, Improved Critical (Strike), Improved Initiative, Luck 3) [11]

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

Blast +6 Toughness 21 Bruise

Blast +6 Fort 21 Bruise

Mighty Strike +6 Toughness 21/Fort 16 Bruise/Daze Crit 19-20

Nullify +6 +7 opposed Power Check Negates Defense Powers

Power Descriptions:

Indirect Blast:

Blast vs Fort:

Strike/Stun:

Protection:

Nullify:

I see two small problems

With a total attack of +6 (+2 Base, +4 from Enhanced Attack), she can't have Nullify 7. Also, the Nullify is against "all defensive powers at once," correct?

For the Indirect Attack Blast, she should have the Variable Descriptor 2 (any local damaging phenomena) power feats.

With a total attack of +6 (+2 Base, +4 from Enhanced Attack), she can't have Nullify 7. Also, the Nullify is against "all defensive powers at once," correct?

Fixed that, it's at six ranks now. And that's correct.

For the Indirect Attack Blast, she should have the Variable Descriptor 2 (any local damaging phenomena) power feats.

I wasn't sure about that, since she can't usually control the descriptor, but it's added now.

I edited the original post with the corrections.

• 1 month later...