Quantum Mechanics

Dr Archeville

See? Our scanner's detecting the exact same irregular brainwave activity!

Eh, too exactly the same. Kid must have some sort of electromagnetic interference field up that masks things.

Or maybe he's exactly what he says he is?

Feh. Unlikely.

"A few thousand, eh? Zhat vould bea viable population umber.... Tell me, do you know if your... kind is able to interbreed with baseline humans? Or of any ozher human-offshoot subspecies?" Archeville flipped the E.S. around and ran the sensor end over his own head, then flipped it back to read the results.* "Vhat field do you think you vill be specializink in? Vhat field do your parents specialize in?"

* Make a Notice check to see if Darian spotted something. DC is 15. If he makes it, make a Know/Arcane and a Know/Tech roll to see if he understands it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am not sure," Darian says when the doctor mentions breeding. "Having never heard of or seen any half-breeds. I am guessing it would be like interbreeding with a neanderthal or an ape. It depends on how far back we," he pauses looks confused, "split genus? I am sorry I have not studied life sciences as much as I should have. My parents have studied this way more than me, they will probably be able to tell you all about that." Darian's eyes catch a glimpse of the readings the doctor has taken in between questions and his eyes widen. When the doctor asks about who studies what, Darian snaps out of his almost fearful gaze, "Well, we do study broad spectrums of sciences, but they are mostly related. I am a student of the physical sciences: astronomy, chemistry, mathematics, physics, and engineering.It is partly how I recieved my family nickname: Quark," he snickers at that name for a brief second, "I also study older more esoteric sciences from whence my fields come from. Like how alchemy begat chemistry or how astrology lead to astronomy. As for my parents, I know they are all over the place, a little bit of everything, but like me, they are into physical sciences." Darian focuses back on the readouts, trying to see if he can analyze them more.

How can I tell this man who shouted me down for accepting other sciences that his brain is a byproduct of the magical sort, Darian thinks to himself, much less magic I cannot even understand yet. He nods while smiling a bit nervously, "Of course, doctor." He returns to his thoughts, I must see that device if I am to help him. I cannot just up and ask, that would seem rude! "What would be the next step in the process," he asks the doctor. I will ask him later, he thinks as the thought gnaws on him, We must not interrupt the process.

Alright, we're going to help him now, okay?

Meh.

Yeah, that's about what I thought you'd say.

This is a waste of time!

"Ah, ja, vell, before ve vere... sidetracked, ve vere performing de multinuclear brain scan," he turns back towards the MRI and pats the tank of hyperpolarized gas. "Und you vere going to select a memory to act as de 'key'. You don't need to tell me vhat is it, just have a clear recollection of it in your mind."

Darian tries to pull a clear memory from his head, but all he can think about is the doctor walking around and growling like a comical Frankenstien's monster because of the unknown magic in his brain. It disturbs him. Every memory he tries to think of is interrupted by the Franken-Archeville. He tries so very hard to remember his first invention without thinking about that monster coming in. When he finally gets it, he looks to the doctor and quickly says, "Alright, ready when you are."

THROW DE SVITCH!

Stop it, this isn't one of your experiments, or even one of ours, really. We're here to help him, not to fry his brain.

Aww, not even a-

No.

I bet it'd get rid of these delusions he's-

NO!

"Very vell, Herr Cale," he said as he flipped some switches and tapped out commands in the keyboard. "Initiatink scan... resolution is good, very good. I do believe dis is goink to vork qvite nicely, Herr Cale, I-- wait. Scan is beomink erratic... oh, ja, of course, mein talkink is distractink you. Apologies, I shall stop, you just focus on dat von memory. De scan should be complete in about... five minutes, at de most."

The scientist was quiet as he worked, which didn't actually help Darian's concentration any, or stop his mind from wondering how Archeville would react if told his stupendous intellect was the result of magical enhancement.

After what felt like hours, Archeville finally spoke again, "All done, Herr Cale! Und mit sixteen seconds to spare -- de whole scan took just four minutes und forty-four seconds! Und now dat ve haff de key, ve can construct de lock."

The five minutes of silence is excruciating on Darian's conscious. Not the replaying of his first invention, that keeps him calm somewhat. He remembers it like it was yesterday. It was actually eight years ago. His mother and father assissted on the project. It took weeks for him to finish the thing but when he did finish he had something that he would never forget: Project 4X7A4L1E4C1I9. Mechanical boots that aided him with his acrobatical stunts without any fear His memory is of him doing cartwheel and somersaults in the mechanical boots with ease as his parents looked with aspiration for him in their eyes. Though the memory is stable, though in the back of his mind all he can think about is what's in the doctor's brain. The doctor's voice pulls him back into the conciousness. "Good, good," he smiles nervously at the him, "Now how do we get this into my program?"

Y'know something, you're right.

What?

We should be nice to the kid.

... what's you angle now?

Well, delusional or not, it's clear he's got some primo tech around here. Tech we can use.

Oy...

"Oh, simply a matter of transferring de file to your system, und connecting dis scanner to de doorvay. Or, rather, a miniaturized version of it, since de scanner vould need to be outside dis room und in your parents house. De portal von't open unless it scans a proper mnemonic pattern."

Archeville was silent a moment, and raised one hand to his chin and tapped it with his forefinger. "Hrm, perhaps you vould like de scanner to be concealed somevhere? Say, behind a painting or statue? I don't know if aesthetics are a very big concern for you."

"Und on a separate note," he lowered his hand to chest level, "if, by some means, someone vere to force deir vay in here, how vould you defend yourself und your inventions?"

Was that a gleam in Archeville's eye?

Darian looks to his guest with a bit of curiousity added on to his worried smile, "No one has ever entered this laboratory without permission before. They would need the correct vibrational frequencies. Without the unlock program, that would be astronomically difficult to do. As for the memory program, would you not be able to put it in a computer? I was thinking about doing it just like the unlock program: putting one part in the laboratory computer and the other part in my PDA."

Prideful, isn't he?

Justifiably so, I'd say.

Yeah, but pride goeth before a fall. Maybe we should help that process along.....

No, we will not be doing any such thing.

Archeville just stared at Darian for a moment. "Zhe program vould be on your computer, ja, but you'd still need a scanner outside to run de scan, to make sure de brainscan of de person attempting to enter your laboratory matches vhat is on file. So unless you can think of some vay to make your PDA function as an ultra-high resolution MRI, dere's going to haff to be some external hardvare."

Darian thinks aloud of the possibilities of the scanner, "Is the scanner small enough to be carried around? If not, will I be limited to one entrance space and one exit space?" The thought of Doctor Archville's magically enhanced brain has not eluded him. He thinks of ways to break the news to him. This being an opportunity to stall the inevitable. He would hate to be blunt that he doesn't know what he knows about.

Oh, quit obsessing, kid, and let's move on to something else!

Hey, it's his 'sanctum,' and according to him this is his only way in. He should be concerned about it!

Archeville thought a moment. "An entire MRI could be made small enough to carry around, ja, but I vould advise against it. If you lose de scanner, you lose your vay in here."

Darian looks to Doctor Archeville confusedly, "Portable MRI? Please forgive me, but I do believe we have a misunderstanding, doctor. I thought we were making an addition to the vibrational frequency generator program in Project 5X0A1L7E0C6I9." And your brain is made if magic, Darian bites his bottom lip as his thoughts shout to him, urging him to speak the truth, Magic I do not understand! You must know this! The truth shall set you free!

Yes, you fool, that's exactly what we're doing!

You sure? Are you sure you're not just doing your own thing?

Archeville stared at Darian a moment. Again. "Ja, und dat is vhat I am doink. Mit de measures I am instlalink, it vill be much harder to access de program in de first place. As it stands now, anyvon can use your device to access dis place. Mit de measures I am installing -- vhich requires incorporating an ultra-miniaturized MRI scanner into de doorway you lead me through -- only someone who can call forth the exact memory you've chosen can use de device to open de portal."

• 2 weeks later...

"Doctor, I do believe you have mistaken my vibrational frequency generator program as a door opener to my basement," Darian chuckles nervously. "The truth is this program can access this exact vibrational frequency from where ever. Allow me to demonstrate," Darian opens the portal again to the way they came in, "If you will follow me. This is the same exact spot we entered. A design flaw I have not figured out yet. It only lets me enter and exit at same area." They walk up the long flight of stairs to the Cale family home and out of the front door on to the estate lawn. "You see, Doctor," he questions turning on the the portal program. The same quicksilver-like wall that appeared to them at the basement wall, appears again. A small doorways opens to the same spot they left. "Now if we were to leave out of there again, this is the same place we would exit."

Hunh. Interesting. Wonder what'd happen if, while he were in here,a large solid object was placed where the portal had formed? Would the return portal open into the object, fusing him to it, or shunt him to the nearest available space?

Let's not test that right now.

Archeville's eyes go wide with both understanding and excitement at seeing a bit of tech do something he wasn't expecting. "Ach, of course! Now I see de source of our misunderstanding! Ja, ja, ja, ja, ve can certainly place all of dis into your device, though it vill take a bit longer to do. We still need to put a brainwave scanner into your device."

Darian nods, "Thank you, doctor." Opening a doorway in the portal that leads back to the workshop, he ushers the doctor into the lab. When they are both inside, he closes the portal. Darian smiles to himself as his mind gasps with a sparkle of an idea, I can show him two things at once! That his brain is magical and Project 4X3A3L4E3C7I1! He faces the doctor with a serious look, "How long do you think it will take to do this?"

How long will it take us to copy all your files?!

No, we're not doing that, either.

Archeville's strokes his chin in thought for a moment. "Vell, mitout having taken a thorough look into your device, your 'PDA,' I cannot really say, as I do not know vhat you haff to vork mit. Und, I vould understand if you did not vish to reveal all your secrets to me, especially not in our first real collaboration. If you did not vish to reveal all de vorking to me, I can certainly whip up some schematics for a miniaturized ultr-MRI, and leave de incorporation of it up to you."

"Excellent," Darian smiles at the doctor, "I am more than happy to share the workings of said device to you, but if my calculations are correct, it seems that this project will take longer than just a friendly visit would entail." He looks around as if someone else besides the doctor is watching or listening. Tapping on the PDA a few times, he speaks in a lower tone, "My top secret project though, I would like to show you before you leave today."

"One and the same," Darian nods pressing the PDA one last time before putting it in his pocket. "Computer: clean up and load Project 4X3A3L4E3C7I1," he announces with a grin to the doctor. The room returns to it's blank white state and a circular mechanical platform floating a foot off the ground appears in a purple burst of light. The platform looks like it is just big enough for him alone to stand on. It has an ankle deep compartent full of what looks like the substance that the portal is made from. "This, doctor, is it," he gleefully exclaims, quickly stepping up onto the platform.

"Quite sorry, doctor," Darian blushes as he steps into the substance. When he does so it only takes a second to cover his body, crawling from his feet all the way up to his torso, arms, and head. Floating up a bit, he fumbles slightly, falling foward a bit but looping around begore he hits the ground. Gaining balance and a little bit confidence, he stands straight up and crosses his arms. If the doctor could see his facial features, he would see the biggest successful grin today. He decides not to go into his normal robotic looking form as there is no need to scare the doctor. The substance melts away from his face as he lands in front of the doctor about a foot away. "This, doctor, is Project 4X3A3L4E3C7I1," he says in a monotone voice that loosely hides his utter joy.

I told you.

Hrmph. Yeah, well, let's just see what it can do.

Archeville looked on, nodding approvingly. "Very nice, Herr Cale, very nice indeed." He circled Darian, looking at him from all angles... which, very briefly, made part of Darian feel like a seal being circles by a shark.

"Now, let me see... I believe mein hypothesis -- vhich you did not refute -- vas dat de suit could not only protect you, but vould also give you de ability to fly, und to copy de abilities of others, ja? May I see a demonstration?"