A friendly sparring match

Toptomcat

Unable to properly block Shinken's brutal assault, Nightrival is subjected to the full force of his opponent's multiple slashes. Nightrival can no longer focus to summon the strength or ingenuity to formulate an effective defence, or even a counter-attack. The first few strikes fill his senses with a reverberating dull pain, and the final blow slams into him like freight train. His costume torn to shreds, the powerful attack sends Nightrival twenty-five feet away, landing on the ground like a lifeless doll.

--

"Sounds good," he whispers back. "Be careful - don't get spotted." At that, Nightrival leaps down to the sidewalk below and carefully makes his way to the other side of the warehouse, using the shadows to conceal his approach.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unable to properly block Shinken's brutal assault, Nightrival is subjected to the full force of his opponent's multiple slashes. Nightrival can no longer focus to summon the strength or ingenuity to formulate an effective defence, or even a counter-attack. The first few strikes fill his senses with a reverberating dull pain, and the final blow slams into him like freight train. His costume torn to shreds, the powerful attack sends Nightrival twenty-five feet away, landing on the ground like a lifeless doll.

--

"Sounds good," he whispers back. "Be careful - don't get spotted." At that, Nightrival leaps down to the sidewalk below and carefully makes his way to the other side of the warehouse, using the shadows to conceal his approach.

Shinken wasn't expecting to drop Nightrival outright with that flurry, and he stands puzzled for a moment as he replays the footage from the suit.

I got lucky- the first hit clipped the jaw pretty solidly, and dazed him to the point that he couldn't defend the rest. He almost slipped it, too...

But, as they say here, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. The armor has stimulants- I could wake him- but there's really no good reason to pump him full of go-juice when he'll be up on his own time, and there's something better on-site besides.

Shinken bows deeply to his fallen opponent, then returns the bokken to a flustered-looking ninja. A word or two to a nurse on the sidelines has Nightrival efficiently checked for a concussion and moved to a comfortable place to recover within minutes, and he wraps things up with a few minutes of time with each of the groups he invited. Once everything's taken care of, he has Nightrival moved to a healing gizmo of the Freedom League's and has him hale and hearty within seconds.

"That was a hell of a hit you took! Just goes to show that one can lose a fight just as easily against a powerful martial technique and an unexpected fluke. You really had me worried when you separated me from my weapon- I'd like to do that again sometime, when you've had a chance to think about how to deal with kenjutsu.

I've got a board meeting to get to in twenty minutes, so I can't stay to talk about things- but I'll see you tonight about nailing down this Zoom thing.

Oh- and you've been payed a generous consulting fee. I really can't thank you enough."

----

The storyline in which Shinken and Nightirival hunt down Zoom dealers will resume in December, with our well-loved Barnum at the helm to give things some structure, run mooks for us, and maybe even expand things beyond a simple attempt to clean up the neighborhood. Until next month's issue, true believers!

Shinken wasn't expecting to drop Nightrival outright with that flurry, and he stands puzzled for a moment as he replays the footage from the suit.

I got lucky- the first hit clipped the jaw pretty solidly, and dazed him to the point that he couldn't defend the rest. He almost slipped it, too...

But, as they say here, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. The armor has stimulants- I could wake him- but there's really no good reason to pump him full of go-juice when he'll be up on his own time, and there's something better on-site besides.

Shinken bows deeply to his fallen opponent, then returns the bokken to a flustered-looking ninja. A word or two to a nurse on the sidelines has Nightrival efficiently checked for a concussion and moved to a comfortable place to recover within minutes, and he wraps things up with a few minutes of time with each of the groups he invited. Once everything's taken care of, he has Nightrival moved to a healing gizmo of the Freedom League's and has him hale and hearty within seconds.

"That was a hell of a hit you took! Just goes to show that one can lose a fight just as easily against a powerful martial technique and an unexpected fluke. You really had me worried when you separated me from my weapon- I'd like to do that again sometime, when you've had a chance to think about how to deal with kenjutsu.

I've got a board meeting to get to in twenty minutes, so I can't stay to talk about things- but I'll see you tonight about nailing down this Zoom thing.

Oh- and you've been payed a generous consulting fee. I really can't thank you enough."

----

The storyline in which Shinken and Nightirival hunt down Zoom dealers will resume in December, with our well-loved Barnum at the helm to give things some structure, run mooks for us, and maybe even expand things beyond a simple attempt to clean up the neighborhood. Until next month's issue, true believers!

----