A friendly sparring match

Toptomcat

Benjiro scowls underneath his mask, frustrated at the inconclusive exchange of blows.

I am being too conservative, forgetting the lessons of the great Japanese masters and trying to preserve my own hide. This is not some mere brawler or criminal, capable of being overcome by technology and skill alone: this man is an artist, a true warrior. To defeat him, my spirit must also be that of a warrior- I cannot defeat him without endangering myself.

As I move, I meditate on Tsunetomo's words. 'I have found the essence of Bushido: to die!'

Shinken is absolutely still for an instant, regaining his focus, banishing the frustration from his mind- and filling his soul with the willingness to die. Time seems to slow as he smoothly sheaths his sword once again, focusing every once of attention on his opponent.

"Yagyū Shinkage-ryū iaijutsu ougi..."

His blade lashes out in a smooth arc, almost too fast to see. The strike is as utterly perfect as the man is utterly exposed to counterattack.

"DAIITOKUMYOUOU!"

-----

Benjiro is quite impressed by Liam's recounting of his experiences, remarking on the excellent diversity of his experiences- neither too formal nor too undisciplined. He himself talks about the unusual path to martial ability he himself has taken; his damaged nerves make it impossible for him to practice martial arts conventionally, so he programmed martial arts ability into a computer that controls his muscles and those of the battlesuit he wears for him. Some would bemoan the fact that he gets his martial abilities 'out of a can', so to speak, but the fact that he had to make the can himself has arguably made his journey harder, not easier.

When Liam asks for help, there is only one reply:

"Of course. You're doing me a favor, after all. What do you need?"

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benjiro scowls underneath his mask, frustrated at the inconclusive exchange of blows.

I am being too conservative, forgetting the lessons of the great Japanese masters and trying to preserve my own hide. This is not some mere brawler or criminal, capable of being overcome by technology and skill alone: this man is an artist, a true warrior. To defeat him, my spirit must also be that of a warrior- I cannot defeat him without endangering myself.

As I move, I meditate on Tsunetomo's words. 'I have found the essence of Bushido: to die!'

Shinken is absolutely still for an instant, regaining his focus, banishing the frustration from his mind- and filling his soul with the willingness to die. Time seems to slow as he smoothly sheaths his sword once again, focusing every once of attention on his opponent.

"Yagyū Shinkage-ryū iaijutsu ougi..."

His blade lashes out in a smooth arc, almost too fast to see. The strike is as utterly perfect as the man is utterly exposed to counterattack.

"DAIITOKUMYOUOU!"

-----

Benjiro is quite impressed by Liam's recounting of his experiences, remarking on the excellent diversity of his experiences- neither too formal nor too undisciplined. He himself talks about the unusual path to martial ability he himself has taken; his damaged nerves make it impossible for him to practice martial arts conventionally, so he programmed martial arts ability into a computer that controls his muscles and those of the battlesuit he wears for him. Some would bemoan the fact that he gets his martial abilities 'out of a can', so to speak, but the fact that he had to make the can himself has arguably made his journey harder, not easier.

When Liam asks for help, there is only one reply:

"Of course. You're doing me a favor, after all. What do you need?"

Nightrival doesn't see the grim determination in Shinken's eyes, concealed behind the green glowing eyepieces in his helmet. If he did, Nightrival would have been able to maneuver away from his opponent's vicious attack. Shinken's katana, moving at a blur, strikes Nightrival across his chest and shoulder. He doesn't roll with the attack, and the blade not only slices open his costume, the force of the blow sends him reeling backwards. He could have been driven to the other side of the Wreck Room, but he is able to draw himself in and half the distance by tucking into another backflip.

Lying on the ground with a massive bruise spreading across his chest, Nightrival shuts his eyes and attempts to rally his strength. Shinken's strike was too powerful. He'll have to wait for another chance to regain himself. Nightrival laughs uproariously at the whole situation.

"Nice one," he gurgles out between groans.

--

Impressive, thinks Liam. Not many people with such a debilitating condition can carry on with their training. Benjiro's determination and inventiveness are the marks of a true warrior. Liam had yet to meet this man face-to-face, but he already has a tremendous respect for him.

"You see, I live over on the Southside. Lately there's been some overdoses on this stuff called Zoom. It's this party drug, right? Anyway, a friend of mine is looking into it, trying to find the source. Maybe you can lend him a hand?"

Nightrival doesn't see the grim determination in Shinken's eyes, concealed behind the green glowing eyepieces in his helmet. If he did, Nightrival would have been able to maneuver away from his opponent's vicious attack. Shinken's katana, moving at a blur, strikes Nightrival across his chest and shoulder. He doesn't roll with the attack, and the blade not only slices open his costume, the force of the blow sends him reeling backwards. He could have been driven to the other side of the Wreck Room, but he is able to draw himself in and half the distance by tucking into another backflip.

Lying on the ground with a massive bruise spreading across his chest, Nightrival shuts his eyes and attempts to rally his strength. Shinken's strike was too powerful. He'll have to wait for another chance to regain himself. Nightrival laughs uproariously at the whole situation.

--

Impressive, thinks Liam. Not many people with such a debilitating condition can carry on with their training. Benjiro's determination and inventiveness are the marks of a true warrior. Liam had yet to meet this man face-to-face, but he already has a tremendous respect for him.

"You see, I live over on the Southside. Lately there's been some overdoses on this stuff called Zoom. It's this party drug, right? Anyway, a friend of mine is looking into it, trying to find the source. Maybe you can lend him a hand?"

--

Benjiro bows to Nightrival, then adopts kasumi no kamae and waits for him to get up. This is, after all, a sparring match, not a contest of who's more willing to escalate. They could both turn this into a brawl if they wanted to, but that's not what this is about.

"Are you able to continue, Nightrival-san?"

-------

The line is quiet for a moment.

Could he be...no. Well, maybe. I can think of two students of Lee's that have gone into superheroism off the top of my head. And he has enough of a background for it.

Oh, this will be *fun* if I'm right about this.

"Absolutely. Where should I meet him?"

Benjiro bows to Nightrival, then adopts kasumi no kamae and waits for him to get up. This is, after all, a sparring match, not a contest of who's more willing to escalate. They could both turn this into a brawl if they wanted to, but that's not what this is about.

-------

Could he be...no. Well, maybe. I can think of two students of Lee's that have gone into superheroism off the top of my head. And he has enough of a background for it.

-------

Nightrival leaps to his feet. The room is slowly spinning and the lights blur his vision, but after a moment his eyes center on the red and gold armoured figure in front of him. He dips into an Eagle Claw stance, relaxing his every muscle. He then closes his eyes.

"For sure. Let's do this thing."

--

"He works in the evening. If you're around Yeats and Michigan at about midnight, he'll be there. It's on his patrol route."

Nightrival leaps to his feet. The room is slowly spinning and the lights blur his vision, but after a moment his eyes center on the red and gold armoured figure in front of him. He dips into an Eagle Claw stance, relaxing his every muscle. He then closes his eyes.

--

"He works in the evening. If you're around Yeats and Michigan at about midnight, he'll be there. It's on his patrol route."

--

Shinken half moves out of his stance, conveying exaggerated surprise.

"Contemporary wushu, Nightrival-san? I thought you had better taste than to use that choreographed child of totalitarianism. I don't want you to dance at me."

Moving back into perfect stance, he charges in, making a precise, low swipe at the martial artist's crouching form that's still just high enough for the limber Nightrival to duck.

-----

"I'll be there. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"Contemporary wushu, Nightrival-san? I thought you had better taste than to use that choreographed child of totalitarianism. I don't want you to dance at me."

Moving back into perfect stance, he charges in, making a precise, low swipe at the martial artist's crouching form that's still just high enough for the limber Nightrival to duck.

-----

-----

"Just experimenting," replies Nightrival as he ducks under Shinken's blade. "Eagle style has its benefits."

With his eyes still closed, Nightrival listens intently for Shinken's next attack. His mind is empty, thinking only of a clear blue expanse of sky and the near-infinite freedom the eagle possesses as it soars above the Earth.

--

"Nah, that's more than enough. I'll tell'em to expect you. I'm sure he appreciates the help." Liam thanks Benjiro again for the sparring opportunity and says good-bye. He slips his hardhat back on and makes his way back to the freighter.

Looks like I'm workin' the night shift.

"Just experimenting," replies Nightrival as he ducks under Shinken's blade. "Eagle style has its benefits."

With his eyes still closed, Nightrival listens intently for Shinken's next attack. His mind is empty, thinking only of a clear blue expanse of sky and the near-infinite freedom the eagle possesses as it soars above the Earth.

--

"Nah, that's more than enough. I'll tell'em to expect you. I'm sure he appreciates the help." Liam thanks Benjiro again for the sparring opportunity and says good-bye. He slips his hardhat back on and makes his way back to the freighter.

--

"Yes, yes it does- good old Shaolin Eagle Claw, not the neutered, showy stuff the State Commission for Physical Culture excreted in the late 1950s. If the only kung fu you've been exposed to is contemporary wushu, you are seriously missing out.

But forgive me. This is obviously something of a pet peeve of mine, and I owe you the courtesy of focusing. HUTTAH!"

Benjiro makes a pair of lightning-fast, whiplike overhead strikes that target the collarbone from both sides. Despite Nightrival's evasive footwork and well-timed blocks, the strike on the right side of the head gets through.

--------

Unable to contain his curiosity, Shinken is there long before midnight. He stops a muggging or two out of sheer nervous energy, and is generally immensely amused to have possibly landed a fellow superhero as a sparring partner.

"Yes, yes it does- good old Shaolin Eagle Claw, not the neutered, showy stuff the State Commission for Physical Culture excreted in the late 1950s. If the only kung fu you've been exposed to is contemporary wushu, you are seriously missing out.

But forgive me. This is obviously something of a pet peeve of mine, and I owe you the courtesy of focusing. HUTTAH!"

Benjiro makes a pair of lightning-fast, whiplike overhead strikes that target the collarbone from both sides. Despite Nightrival's evasive footwork and well-timed blocks, the strike on the right side of the head gets through.

--------

Unable to contain his curiosity, Shinken is there long before midnight. He stops a muggging or two out of sheer nervous energy, and is generally immensely amused to have possibly landed a fellow superhero as a sparring partner.

--------

Nightrival could not follow Shinken's blade, and instead of rolling with the attack he completely misjudges the angle, taking the hit at full force. Luckily, he is able to maintain his balance this time.

He tries to focus his eyes, but Shinken swirls around him in brilliant colours.

--

Midnight. Nightrival sits motionless, perched on a fire escape high above a trash-strewn alley. He watches as the last mugger Shinken strikes down tumbles unconsciously to the ground. Although autumn has made the evenings chilly in Freedom City, Nightrival doesn't feel it. A fiery anticipation burns within him as he thinks of finally ending this epidemic in Southside.

Shinken could prove to be quite the ally, he ponders.

"Nice outfit," he says to Shinken. "Where could I get one of those?"

Nightrival could not follow Shinken's blade, and instead of rolling with the attack he completely misjudges the angle, taking the hit at full force. Luckily, he is able to maintain his balance this time.

--

Midnight. Nightrival sits motionless, perched on a fire escape high above a trash-strewn alley. He watches as the last mugger Shinken strikes down tumbles unconsciously to the ground. Although autumn has made the evenings chilly in Freedom City, Nightrival doesn't feel it. A fiery anticipation burns within him as he thinks of finally ending this epidemic in Southside.

--

Benjiro moves in, slipping past the dazed Nightrival's guard to place a strong thrust against the dazed martial artist's throat; just as it is about to hit, he checks it, leaving the tip against his Adam's apple. It would be much more of a threat if the sword were the sharpened one, but it still puts Nightrival in a situation where he's not going to get past Benjiro's sword without a crushed larynx.

"Ippon, I think. Would you like to try again? We've got some wonderful medical tech here that can patch you up very quickly. And I think you let me off easy by ending that wrist lock so quickly."

----

"My Web site, believe it or not, though the prices and licenses usually put them out of reach for individuals."

Shinken smoothly hops onto a dumpster's lip and onto the fire escape, landing with a clank of metal on metal.

"So, are you really a friend of a friend, or just a friend?"

Benjiro moves in, slipping past the dazed Nightrival's guard to place a strong thrust against the dazed martial artist's throat; just as it is about to hit, he checks it, leaving the tip against his Adam's apple. It would be much more of a threat if the sword were the sharpened one, but it still puts Nightrival in a situation where he's not going to get past Benjiro's sword without a crushed larynx.

"Ippon, I think. Would you like to try again? We've got some wonderful medical tech here that can patch you up very quickly. And I think you let me off easy by ending that wrist lock so quickly."

----

"My Web site, believe it or not, though the prices and licenses usually put them out of reach for individuals."

Shinken smoothly hops onto a dumpster's lip and onto the fire escape, landing with a clank of metal on metal.

"So, are you really a friend of a friend, or just a friend?"