A friendly sparring match: OOC

Toptomcat

Since the whole purpose of this fight from Shinken's point of view is to iron out the bugs from an upgrade, it would make sense to Complicate things with a malfunction at some point. I'm making my own Complication, forfeiting this round's actions and opening him up to a hurtin' from Nightrival, and gaining a Hero Point. Are you cool with that? I can change it if you aren't.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the whole purpose of this fight from Shinken's point of view is to iron out the bugs from an upgrade, it would make sense to Complicate things with a malfunction at some point. I'm making my own Complication, forfeiting this round's actions and opening him up to a hurtin' from Nightrival, and gaining a Hero Point. Are you cool with that? I can change it if you aren't.

Hey there,

I'll be the referee for this sparring match. I don't have a problem with Shinken's suit malfunctioning and his getting a Hero Point off it, but I'd also say that it'd leave him flat-footed for this round as well. If you still want the malfunction to happen now, post here in the OOC.

Each of you automatically starts out this battle with one Hero Point. The referees are discussing how Luck will be handled in PvP threads, but for now, you can assume that it has its usual effect (an extra Hero Point).

Hey there,

I'll be the referee for this sparring match. I don't have a problem with Shinken's suit malfunctioning and his getting a Hero Point off it, but I'd also say that it'd leave him flat-footed for this round as well. If you still want the malfunction to happen now, post here in the OOC.

Each of you automatically starts out this battle with one Hero Point. The referees are discussing how Luck will be handled in PvP threads, but for now, you can assume that it has its usual effect (an extra Hero Point).

Hey there,

Okay, this chorus of misses is getting a little silly. Time to kick this up a notch.

Benjiro will Aim, take a five-foot step towards Nightrival, then Surge to get an attack. This gives a +5 bonus to the attack roll. He will then All-Out Attack for a further +5, and Power Attack for 5- leaving him at +5 to both attack and damage bonii, and -5 to Defense.

Unfortunately, he gets a natural 3 on the attack roll. Therefore, instead of the planned use of a Hero Point to negate the suffered fatigue, Shinken spends it to reroll that attack- for a 19, a critical threat that gets another natural 3 to confirm. Which is probably for the best- I wanted to put you in trouble, but I don't want too big a possibility of ending this thing before it begins.

Okay, this chorus of misses is getting a little silly. Time to kick this up a notch.

Benjiro will Aim, take a five-foot step towards Nightrival, then Surge to get an attack. This gives a +5 bonus to the attack roll. He will then All-Out Attack for a further +5, and Power Attack for 5- leaving him at +5 to both attack and damage bonii, and -5 to Defense.

Unfortunately, he gets a natural 3 on the attack roll. Therefore, instead of the planned use of a Hero Point to negate the suffered fatigue, Shinken spends it to reroll that attack- for a 19, a critical threat that gets another natural 3 to confirm. Which is probably for the best- I wanted to put you in trouble, but I don't want too big a possibility of ending this thing before it begins.

Good hit!

Here's a summary of what went down: Nightrival is staggered and stunned, and is prone. He can't move for one round. The knockback, if I'm reading this right, and with the Acrobatics check, was fifty feet. I tried to use a Hero Point to negate the staggered condition but the roll failed. I'll try again next round.

Good hit!

Here's a summary of what went down: Nightrival is staggered and stunned, and is prone. He can't move for one round. The knockback, if I'm reading this right, and with the Acrobatics check, was fifty feet. I tried to use a Hero Point to negate the staggered condition but the roll failed. I'll try again next round.

Good hit!

Actually, there's something I want to clarify before we go further on. There's no rolling to confirm a critical hit in Mutants and Masterminds. If you roll a 20, you automatically hit, and get a critical hit if you would have hit anyway. If you extend your critical range with Improved Critical, you still only automatically hit on a 20, but you get a critical whenever you hit within your critical range.

Now, Shinken, if you don't want the critical (because you already had a DC 30 Toughness save), we can just say that you pulled your blow because, all evidence to the contrary, you weren't trying to kill your sparring partner. :P

But after that, there's a little confusion about when the recovery check takes place. It takes two rounds to make a full-round action while staggered, so Shadowboxer wouldn't get to make the check until after Shinken's gone again. It takes quite a bit to catch your breath after a hit like that.

Actually, there's something I want to clarify before we go further on. There's no rolling to confirm a critical hit in Mutants and Masterminds. If you roll a 20, you automatically hit, and get a critical hit if you would have hit anyway. If you extend your critical range with Improved Critical, you still only automatically hit on a 20, but you get a critical whenever you hit within your critical range.

Now, Shinken, if you don't want the critical (because you already had a DC 30 Toughness save), we can just say that you pulled your blow because, all evidence to the contrary, you weren't trying to kill your sparring partner. :P

But after that, there's a little confusion about when the recovery check takes place. It takes two rounds to make a full-round action while staggered, so Shadowboxer wouldn't get to make the check until after Shinken's gone again. It takes quite a bit to catch your breath after a hit like that.