A friendly sparring match: OOC

Toptomcat

I have an idea for how to handle this that'll be interesting and allow for a cool roleplay opportunity, but I'd like to get your approval for it beforehand, Shadowboxer. I'd like to throw down with you, but I'd also like to get some roleplay done and establish a friendship with your character. We can handle this in a dual-mode way: have half of each post be about our actions in the sparring match in the Wreck Room, and half of each one be a flashback to how we met and agreed to set up a match.

I have two ideas for that: we could randomly meet on patrol and mutually impress one another, Benjiro could follow up on rumors of a martial-arts hero in a given neighborhood to seek you out. Any alternatives are also welcome. Thoughts?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an idea for how to handle this that'll be interesting and allow for a cool roleplay opportunity, but I'd like to get your approval for it beforehand, Shadowboxer. I'd like to throw down with you, but I'd also like to get some roleplay done and establish a friendship with your character. We can handle this in a dual-mode way: have half of each post be about our actions in the sparring match in the Wreck Room, and half of each one be a flashback to how we met and agreed to set up a match.

I have two ideas for that: we could randomly meet on patrol and mutually impress one another, Benjiro could follow up on rumors of a martial-arts hero in a given neighborhood to seek you out. Any alternatives are also welcome. Thoughts?

I think this is a terrific idea. The first half of my post will describe the match, and the second half would be the flashback. They can also meet while investigating the same case, and end up fighting together against a common foe. Since both characters have a background in martial arts, perhaps they've heard of each other or just heard rumours, like you mentioned.

I think this is a terrific idea. The first half of my post will describe the match, and the second half would be the flashback. They can also meet while investigating the same case, and end up fighting together against a common foe. Since both characters have a background in martial arts, perhaps they've heard of each other or just heard rumours, like you mentioned.

Does your character visit boxing gyms, dojos, kwoons, or the like? Benjiro's first instinct to find a sparring partner would be to put out feelers in those channels, and any rumors of a man with extraordinary potential would be followed up on.

The only problem with that is that it would end up with him knowing your civilian identity. Would you be cool with that?

As for Nightrival having heard of Shinken- well, the whole idea behind the character's hero career is to serve as an advertisement for his company and its products, so he's fairly public.

Does your character visit boxing gyms, dojos, kwoons, or the like? Benjiro's first instinct to find a sparring partner would be to put out feelers in those channels, and any rumors of a man with extraordinary potential would be followed up on.

The only problem with that is that it would end up with him knowing your civilian identity. Would you be cool with that?

As for Nightrival having heard of Shinken- well, the whole idea behind the character's hero career is to serve as an advertisement for his company and its products, so he's fairly public.

I envisioned Nightrival to be a DIY kind of fighter, training in private rather than in a public space. However, he does know Master Lee, and the venerable old master occasionally consults him or shows him a trick or two. Master Lee would (hopefully) speak highly of him.

I'm totally cool with your character knowing Nightrival's secret identity.

I'll keep Shinken's public persona in mind.

I envisioned Nightrival to be a DIY kind of fighter, training in private rather than in a public space. However, he does know Master Lee, and the venerable old master occasionally consults him or shows him a trick or two. Master Lee would (hopefully) speak highly of him.

Init 18. Let's do this.

I have taken some liberty with the character of your master, giving him a full name and a style. The name is, by the way, one of Bruce Lee's early stage names, and the style is sort of the mixed school of China- a little Northern, a little Southern, a little external, a little internal, with plenty of variations and subtypes, including Five Animals techniques.

Init 18. Let's do this.

I have taken some liberty with the character of your master, giving him a full name and a style. The name is, by the way, one of Bruce Lee's early stage names, and the style is sort of the mixed school of China- a little Northern, a little Southern, a little external, a little internal, with plenty of variations and subtypes, including Five Animals techniques.

Init 18. Let's do this.

Since the whole purpose of this fight from Shinken's point of view is to iron out the bugs from an upgrade, it would make sense to Complicate things with a malfunction at some point. I'm making my own Complication, forfeiting this round's actions and opening him up to a hurtin' from Nightrival, and gaining a Hero Point. Are you cool with that? I can change it if you aren't.