Warr

Players Name: Warr

Power Level: 10 (158 pp)

Unspent PP: 7

Characters Name: Warren McCue

Alternate Identity: Leviathan

Height: 5'10â€Â

Weight: 160 Ibls.

Hair: Dark brown, with some reddish and golden brown strands which show in bright light.

Eyes: Blue, the simple 'steel blue' with a darker, midnight blue color upon the edge of his irises.

Description: Contrary to his height and weight, Warren is very rarely menacing, primarily because of his posture and way of carrying himself in normal situations. He rarely is startled or unsettled on most days, and is very inward, preferring to listen rather than speak, thus making him sort of a 'silent figure', as opposed to any real threat. His height and weight, combined with his moderate amount of exercise (he loves to swim, bike), make him limber, right on the edge of being just an average no muscle no real fat boy.

His clothes change from day to day, and the only thing which doesn't, is his almost always worn slightly large dark blue hoodie. Despite the fact that he's socially an 'outsider' in most cases as of late, and he's not particularly menacing, he's still often noticed, a combination of his eyes, his almost 'mane' like hair, and his features being the cause.

History: Nearly sixty years ago, the Western World was in full war, a world War, the second to have stained the face of the Earth. In this time, every side worried heavily about the other sides, and a number of experiments, many secret, occurred within these nations. One such experiment occurred within the United States of America, a plan to make 'supermarines', which were hybrids of Atlantian and Human genes.

The experiment had a number of volunteers, all men who either were in the armed forces and stationed in the US, or whom were unable to join the services for one reason or another. The hybridization process was planned to happen via a cocktail of drugs, chemicals, and 'atlantian gene extract' taken from Atlantian DNA.

The experiment was an utter failure, quite a few testees dying, and not a single one mutating. In fact, it seemed at the time not not a single person's genes had mutated, but one Daniel McCue, proved different. It was not visible at the time, but his body had taken the gene as its own, and with his son, the gene mutated. Not enough to produce powers or any effects, but the mutated gene passed on to his grandson as well, and finally, to his great-grandson, Warren McCue.

The gene was not as the scientists who had extracted it expected it to be, it was not a hybridization gene which would make anyone injected with it an surface human-atlantian crossbreed. It simply targeted the areas of the human body which made Atlantians survive as they did, and changed them, but not without a proper trigger.

Warren's life was fairly mundane, the boy showing a clear charisma even at an early age, as well as an interest in learning. He excelled at school, though he was never extremely popular from the fact his build and body type never fit the 'athletes' archetype. His mother was a housewife, and his father was a midlevel executive in a multinational corporation.

As a result, Warren often got any books he might have wanted, and to do what he wanted. He wasn't spoiled, or without punishments, but his life (aside from being somewhat pushed around at school and at best 'slightly accepted',) was good. He even got to go on trips with his father, including ending up getting to visit Greece and ultimately, Japan, with his father.

In the latter trip, he had already turned 17, and understood just as much Japanese as his father did, so while his father dealt with business and board meetings, he dealt with nothing so much as exploring. Inevitably, with the fact that he refused to go to 'classic' Japanese destinations within the city they were staying in, because he didn't want the typical Gaijin tourist treatment, Warren found himself on a fairly populated beach, ready for a day of fun in the sun, and to finally experience what the ocean felt like. (He lived in the middle of North Texas at the time, and had most of his life, so he didn't know what an actual -ocean- might feel like in comparison to a sea or gulf )

It was during his time relaxing there, giving smiles to a few pretty Japanese girls as he did, that a little girl, no more than six, was dunked under the water by a huge wave. Waves continued, and she struggled to get up, just as the lifeguards of the beach struggled to save her.

But Warren was faster. As he heard the little girl's scream for help, his heart pumped, and something inside of him awakened. The gene, and as he wished for the water to move from around the little girl, it did, giving her a momentary relapse of air. His body shot into action even as his mind did, jumping into the waves shortly before the lifeguards did, and swimming at an inhuman speed, scooping the girl in his arms and swimming back with only his feet, placing her on the beach by the lifeguards, and fleeing the scene as he realized what he had done, hearing the screams of excitement and amazement from the beach goers.

It took nearly every connection his father had to keep the videos of the scene of of Youtube, and in no time at all his son was sent back to America, and more importantly, a place to learn to use these powers. His father had accepted an offer for Warren to go to the Claremont Academy, and in exchange, help with covering up his son's secret identity.

Complications: Sense of Duty- Protect the weak, and innocent.

Chivalry- Despite the fact he's never really been gotten in many relationships in his time on the Earth, Warren has been since childhood enthralled with the concept of Chivalry, and tries to be as chivalrous as society allows (He'll hold a door open for a girl, but not go out of his way to do so, etc.) The one thing he will -not- do, is attack a woman., unless she is an absolute threat to his or other people's lives. In the end, his sense of duty super cedes this, though he may mope or 'hate himself' after words if he feels he attacked too fiercely.

Secret Identity: Warren is driven to try to keep his identity as a 'super hero' hidden, the best he can. He's not sure he wants to be a hero, in the long run, so he's not willing to let his identity be known.

Stats: 62 pp

Str: 26 (+8)

Dex: 16 (+3)

Con: 30 (+10)

Int: 18 (+4)

Wis: 14 (+2)

Cha: 18 (+4)

Combat: 16pp

Attack: +4

Grapple: +18 (+6 from Superstrength, +8 from Strength)

Defense: +4 (+2 flat-footed)

Knockback: -7

Initiative: +3

Saves: 13 pp

Toughness: +13 (+10 Con, +3 from Protection)

Fortitude: +10 (+10 Con, +0)

Reflex: +9 (+3 Dex, +6)

Will: +9 (+2 Wis, +7)

Skills: 36 r = 9pp

Bluff 3 (+7)

Concentration 4 (+6)

Computers 2 (+6)

Diplomacy 4 (+8)

Drive 2 (+5)

Gather Information 2 (+6)

Investigate 6 (+10)

Knowledge (History) 5 (+9)

Language 3 (Japanese, Spanish, Greek; Native: English)

Swim 5 (+13)

Feats: 3 pp

Attractive [1]

Environmental Adaption [underwater]

Eidetic Memory

Powers: 48 pp

Immunity 3 (breathe normally underwater, Cold, High Pressure) [3 PP]

Protection 3 [3 PP]

Regeneration 2 (Injured 1, Unconscious 1; Flaw: Limited/Only while underwater; Power Feat: Diehard, Regrowth) [Cost]

Super-Senses 1 (low-light vision) [1 PP]

Super-Strength 6 (Heavy Load: 29.44 tons) (PF: Thunderclap) [13 PP]

Swimming 4 (25 MPH; PF: 1 Alternate Power) [5 PP]

AP: Leaping 2 (x5)

Water Control 8 (Hydrokinesis; PFs: 4 Alternate Powers) [20 PP]

AP: Blast 8

AP: Create Object 8

AP: Current Control 8 (Boost or Drain Swimming)

AP: Obscure 8 (visual, mist)

Drawbacks: 0pp

DC Block:

Unarmed --- DC 23/Toughness --- Bludgeoning

Blast --- DC 23/Toughness --- Water/Bludgeoning

Costs: Abilities (62) + Combat (16) + Saves (13) + Skills (9) + Feats (3) + Powers (48) - Drawbacks (00) = 151 / 158 Total Cost

I'm doing a trade-off of - 3 Defense / +3 Toughness Bonus.

First off your maximum in fortitude save is +15, not the +16 you have now. Also where do you get the +7 other toughness save bonus from?

Also you seems to be far below PL limits for combat stuff, which I think could be a problem for you.

You have +2 attack and deals 8 damage with your unarmed attack, which is more what it should be if you were a PL 5 or 6 character. Instead your to hit + damage should approach 20.

I totally forgot about the save max, and the other 7 comes from putting PP directly into it, as per the M&M2ndedition Core Book.

I didn't think about those point totals, though this is only like my fourth or fifth time building a character.

And Edited the previous post, I think it's more combat ready/etc now.

I totally forgot about the save max, and the other 7 comes from putting PP directly into it, as per the M&M2ndedition Core Book.

Sorry, but you can't improve your Toughness directly like that. You'll either need to buy ranks of the Protection power, ranks of the Defensive Roll feat or use Equipment to buy body armour or the like (although that doesn't stack with the Protection power)

Doesn't bother me.

And like I said, I've not really used M&M in the last six months or so, so forgot some. D: I was rereading stuff and saw the saving throws bit and never noticed the toughness wasn't included, because I'm wasn't in the mood to reread everything once again. That, however, should be dealt with now and everything should be ready to go.

And I realize he's not got a ton of attack/defense bonuses, but that's because he's not learned any sort of martial arts, really, and not practiced his powers enough to have any of that. He was a fairly normal teenager until his mutation activated.

Angelica and ecalsneerg, while we appreciate your enthusiasm, it's easier if we keep the posts in the character threads limited to the character's creator and the referees. If you see something incorrect on a sheet, you can PM the player directly to help out.

There are some things that still need to be corrected, however.

* It looks like you costed attack and defense as 1 pp/rank. They're actually 2 pp/rank, which means that you're 9 pp too cheap there.

* The maximum tradeoff that we allow is +4/-4. His Toughness is currently +15, while it can only be +14 to start.

* His grapple modifier should be +22 with all his powers.

* He only has 15 pp spent on saves now. The pp spent on Protection goes under the Powers header.

* I currently count 52 ranks of skills, not 48. There's also no need to say what Drive is for; it applies to all land-based motor vehicles.

* He currently has 56 pp of powers, including 12 from the Protection 6 (Impervious).

* Regeneration doesn't really do anything here. He doesn't need a bonus to his recovery checks because his Con modifier is so high, and you didn't pick what damage condition the other part applied to.

The big challenge is to lower the number of points you have spent right now. Let me offer some suggestions.

1) Lower the Fortitude save a bit. Putting it at +12 means he's still very likely to beat Fortitude saves at his PL, and it gives you 3 more points to use.

2) Cut out the Knowledge skills (but hear me out), and then take Eidetic Memory or Jack of All Trades. Either feat allows you to make those Knowledge checks untrained, and Warren has a good enough Int modifier to make it worthwhile still. That saves a couple of points.

3) Cut Regeneration, for the reasons noted above. He shouldn't need it much with his high Toughness save. This saves 2 pp.

4) Take Leaping as an alternate power of Swimming. This saves 1 pp (yeah, I know, but every little bit helps).

5) Take off the Impervious from your Protection, and lower its rank by 1 (so that you're not over the tradeoff). This saves 7 pp.

Even with these suggestions all taken, you're still a point or two over, but that's probably reducing skills or some of your attributes. You know better than I do which of them are most important to your concept.

We're nearly there. There's two things in his powers that still need to be fixed.

1) There's no way to Obscure the tactile sense within M&M. Even if you surround someone with a thick fog, they can still feel it. While there might be some descriptors that would numb a target, by the book, Obscure only works against sight, hearing, smell/taste, and mental senses. The easiest thing there is to just say the Obscure is only against visual, in which case it has a rank of 8.

2) For your Regeneration, you only get to choose two conditions for 2 pp, which your Limited flaw reduces in cost to 1 pp. You could have Bruised 1 and Staggered 1, or Injured 1 and Unconscious 1, or any mix of those. Even then, you'd only get Regeneration 2 (Limited: Only while underwater), and the power feat Diehard. I think the current "4" is a typo.

Looks mostly alright, though there are a few things I'd like to see tweaked.

A) Rearrange the Skills and Powers so they're listed alphabetically. (Makes it easier on us to find things.)

B) Under Skills, for the Languages entry, put what his native tongue is. Again, makes it easier on us to know at a glance exactly what languages a char speaks.

C) Under "Complications," add "Secret Identity".

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

A sampling [which I would like critiqued] of my current reworked power set for the upcoming character, Leviathan II.

Powers: 55 pp

Atlantian Descent: 22 PP

Immunity 3 (Suffocation [Drowning], Pressure, Cold) [3 PP]

Super-Senses 1 (low-light vision) [1 PP]

Super-Strength 6 (Heavy Load: 29.44 tons) (PF: Thunderclap) [13 PP]

Swimming 4 (25 MPH; PF: 1 Alternate Power) [5 PP]

AP: Leaping 4 (x25)

Hybrid Evolution & Mark of the Hyborian: 28 PP

Thanks to being the first to activate the Amulet of the Hyborians in centuries, all the pent up energy from within the artifact washed over Therran, and combined with his hybrid human-Atlantian genetics, left a lasting mark on his skin, as well as accelerated the latent mutation within his body. These two factors combined to give him a level of natural toughness and protection, an psychic and 'supernatural' ability to manipulate water, and more drastically and strangely, an enhanced metabolism that seemed to be able to regenerate!

Protection 3 [3 PP]

Hydrokinesis; (Water Control 9, PFs: 4 Alternate Powers) [22 PP]

AP: Blast 9

AP: Create Object 9

AP: Current Control 9 (Boost or Drain Swimming)

AP: Obscure 9 (visual, mist)

Regeneration 2 (Injured 2; Power Feats: Regrowth, Persistent; Flaw, Source: Water) [Cost]

Amulet of the Hyborians:

The heirloom of the first Leviathan, Therran's grandmother, and the subject of the last heist and crime she made upon Atlantis, this ancient artifact stood as a simple pendant upon the necklace of his grandmother, “Karenâ€, from the time of her theft of the object onwards. It is an ancient artifact, predating even the sinking of Altantis, and was known in circles within Atlantis as simply a 'trinket which might have latent magical powers, but which are likely weak.'

The amulet is a source of power, which naturally generates hydrokinetic mystic energy, and which could be used by a Hydrokinetic to amplify their power, and which was originally supposed to bestow hydrokinetic power [in slight form] to those who used it. The last known user of the Amulet prior to its theft was thousands of years ago, by a mysterious Atlantian who claimed to have been 'raised in the seas beyond the north wind'.

Device 1 (5PP Container, Flaws: Hard-To-Lose, Feats: Restricted [Hydrokinetics], Indestructible) [5PP]

Water Control 0 (3 APs)

Strike 16 “Hard Water Weapons†(Power Feats: Variable Descriptor Slashing/Bludgeoning, Mighty)

Healing 8 “Amulet's Regeneration†(Flaw: Limited to Self, Power Feats: Regrowth, Persistent.)

Stun 6 “Electric Shock†(Extra: Ranged)

Enhanced Ability: Strength 2